Cyrano’s Farm Kitchen
546 N Wells
Chicago, IL 60654Neighborhood:
River North (Chicago)
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
Cyrano’s Farm Kitchen
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cyranosfarmkitchen.com/
- Phone: 3124670546
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Didier Durand
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Gourmet catering available. Please call for details.
- Entertainment: We now offer live music along with candlelight dinner on Fridays and Saturdays in our Barrel Room. Enjoy chef's Didier's Comedy Show at the same time. There is a modest $3 fee per person
A word from Cyrano’s Farm Kitchen
Cyrano's Farm Kitchen, owned & operated by acclaimed chef Didier Durand, features a fresh, rustic menu from his childhood days in southwestern France. The food is French Farm Cuisine and will remind you of a simpler, healthier, tastier time. The atmosphere is warm and country and features 125-year-old barn wood. Cyrano's Farm Kitchen is located in the heart of River North.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cyrano’s Farm Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
38 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (21)romantic (19)neighborhood gem (16)special occasion (13)notable wine list (9)good for groups (7)great for outdoor dining (6)great for lunch (3)late-night find (3)vibrant bar scene (2)hot spot (2)great for brunch (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- good innovative food andeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/20/2014Great time. Ask the chef for a vegitarian plate-use your imagination. Chef came out and spoke and created a delicious meal. iendsThe other three friends also had superb food.Special Features:
- great food!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/20/2014Delicious, fresh, carefully prepared. I had steak/frites and my friend had mussels, we both had a mixed green salad. Nothing complicated - we were in the mood for the basics. Perfectly done steak, tender, and so flavorful. Salads were the freshest greens, simply adorned,every bite was perfect balance. The mussels were small, sweet, and tender. The simply prepared meuniere sauce was delicious - perfect to sop up with the crispy frites. The chocolate mousse which was to die for and beautifully presented. The best cappuccino ever. Thrilled to find delicious food, lovely décor, and low noise levels so able to carry on a conversation and weren't rushed. We had an excellent Sancerre Rose and the service was attentive without hovering. Perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummyDined on 9/4/2014Food is great! Each dish is good for pairing with wine. Service is below average.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great groupon dinnersandiVIPDined on 8/28/2014We had a 5 course dinner here with groupon that was very good, and very filling. I also enjoyed their wine selection. The fish of the day was the halibut stuffed with lobster, and I wasn't a big fan of it. Seemed much too bland. We wish we would have ordered the duck instead. The courses were brought out quite slow, but we loved our waitress. She was great and personable.
- Always a treatjampenDined on 8/28/2014We all agreed we need to come here more often. We ooh'd and aah'd over every dish, each trying everyone else's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, good service. great wineLizzyGirlDined on 8/21/2014The Halibut was amazing, the lamburger was a little dry. The Bordeaux was amazing. The service was terrific. It was a Thursday night so not busy at all. Nice ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as expectedBKBKVIPDined on 8/12/2014Well, they advertise as "the best French restaurant in Chicago". I would say that only Everest was worse. Appetizers were OK but not creative. Main courses are so-so and not that "French"Special Features:
- Food a la garbage!MaggieDined on 8/9/2014My husband and I were very disappointed about quality of food. I had duck with vegetable which was not fresh and not cooked properly. I had stomachache and felt not well rest of Saturday. I would not definitely recommend this place! Waste of money!
- I may give it a second chancegeo1606Dined on 8/7/2014My son and I love tasting menus so when Cyrano's offered a 5 course menu thru Groupon we jumped on it. That being said, the chef created a menu even labeled "Groupon Tasting Menu. It was a nice selection: appetizer, soup, entree, cheese, and dessert. A salad would have been good in place of the pastry appetizer as it was a heavy meal. Our main impression was how the sauces were VERY salty, which overwhelmed the flavors, and the halibut was sadly overcooked. I cannot speak to the menu items as we had a "special" menu. It probably was not the best showcase, although there were 4 tables of diners and the couple next to us were having the Groupon menu too. I think they should have put more effort into what obviously wasn't their best offering
- Classic FrenchFooddocVIPDined on 8/6/2014Waling into Cyrano's, you are convinced you have walked into an authentic French farmhouse. The menu is lmited but full of more interesting choices than possibly consumed in one sitting, which makes you want to return. We passed up the many cheese and pates, and had excellent baked onion soup and mini chicken crepes for starters, followed by the best duck entrees we have ever had. Drinks and wines are varied and reasonable. Service was friendly but slower than some people would want, but it allowed a lingering dinner with my wife that was very welcome. It was a wonderful experience and we will definitely go back. Don't be shocked by the deer's head in the men's room!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingTable42VIPDined on 8/5/2014The decor was slightly reminiscent of what you might imagine to be a village restaurant. It smelled musty. Service was SLOW. We started with the LAmb Sweetbreads and the grilled foie gras. Incredibly tiny portions but decently prepared. Our entrees: Duo of Duck and Salmon were okay but nothing spectacular. With service as slow as it was we decided to pass on desert as we didn't have another hour. The fastest thing to come to the table was the check... I would not recommend nor will I go back.
- Outstanding food except for 1 thingMichiganderDined on 7/30/2014We had the 5 course pre-fix meal that I had found on Groupon. I was surprised at how excellent each course was, my wife had the haddock and I had the duck breast. The duck was cooked to a perfect medium, had a great orange sauce but was supposed to have an Au Gratin instead they tried to make a stuffing and it was dried bread in a ball with no seasoning and flavor. I have no idea how the chef could put something like that on the plate. I took a picture of the menu and just looked at it, that's where I noticed the Au Gratin mistake but I had one grilled napa cabbage leaf where I was supposed to have in addition, lentils & artichoke pain perdu. My wife's haddock was great - wish I had my whole Principal part of my meal. Too many stars?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KathleencookieDined on 7/26/2014Charming restaurant.. Felt like I was in France. Thanks for the easy trip. Food was amazing and I would recommend trying the cheeses and pates on another tr. the escargot were delicious and the duck was moist with crispy skin..heavenly. Hope this gem stays around for a long time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Casual, outstanding French foodNYCtoSLCVIPDined on 7/24/2014Love this place. Went once in January on a Saturday and just recently on a Thursday. I love this place. I've had the Coq au Vin and the Bistrot Steak. Very solid, both of them. Every salad, appetizer, cheese plate, pate... nothing disappointed. The mousse au chocolat is heaven on Earth. My husband and I think about it often. One negative: they seemed to really understaffed this last time. Poor server was running all over the place - doing great at staying upbeat and pleasant - and things were slow. But worth it, nonetheless. Enjoy!Special Features:
- Loud Party Ruined the EveningFrancophone47Dined on 7/24/2014The food at Cyrano's is always outstanding which is why we have been going there for the past ten years. On 7/24 there was an extremely loud and obnoxious party of six in the room; they were so loud that we could hardly hear ourselves and our evening was unpleasant. Chef Didier was at the other Cyrano's and the very young waiter was not able to cope with waiting on all the tables and with our request to ask the party to be more respectful of the other diners. When they finally left, there was a collective sigh in the room as other patrons had been giving them hard looks also.
- Should be packed heregrtrxVIPDined on 7/21/2014Don't quite understand why the place isn't busier... great food, solid service, great wine... you owe it to yourself to dig through the reserve list of wines. A 1993 Bordeaux at value price is waiting for you.Special Features:
- Consistently the best!PilgrimDined on 7/18/2014We love this restaurant and no trip to Chicago is complete nless we dine here. We love Alinea, we love Sixteen but then there is this sweet gem of a restaurant. Dine here. Celebrate here. Fall in love here. You won't regret it. I have used it as a gathering place for folks of all backgrounds. Everyone loves this restaurant. Chef is a master. The french cuisine so fresh and good you'll be transported back to the city of light or a small little provencial town for the duration. The seafood is delectable, the escargot uncomparable, and the service divine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bastille DayHeeterDined on 7/14/2014We had a terrific 3-course French dinner, for a very reasonable price. This was an excellent value and a fun evening.Special Features:
- Old friendNooneVIPDined on 7/14/2014Had a great traditional French meal. Duck superb as was escargotSpecial Features:
- What's Wrong Here?yummydinerDined on 6/21/2014Cute, bubbly, sweet waitress. VERY sloooow service but empty restaurant. Crashing dishes constantly - enough so we are STILL joking about it. Rustic French, but no bread and butter with dinner. Many things cold to lukewarm. Water not watched. This was Saturday night! Music great, empty bar. Chef funny, friendly, interested but sitting at the bar as we left at 930....Saturday....could this be the problem? Lamb shanks seemed boiled rather than braised. Mushroom soup was creamed in a blender with no indication it was rustic wild mushroom. Froi Gras sautéed to a crip served with awful toast points. My thought - somebody needs to really care about food quality, training the staff. This place COULD be hot, hot, hot.Special Features:
- Fabulous Food Great StaffOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/12/2014There was no bartender on duty and a woman from the kitchen who had no knowledge about drinks was forced to fill our orders. We led her through, and the drinks turned out ok. However, it was not the best situation at $11.oo per drinkSpecial Features:
- AwesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/31/2014Invited friends and family for my wife's birthday. They had a great time. Food was great and service was exceptional, compared to the negative reviews I read. Had a good time and they had live jazz music. They have 2 floors very nice. I had a steak and was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cyrano's is a hidden gemFoodandThoughts33Dined on 5/30/2014Every time I was in Chicago in the past few years, I would drop by to Cyrano's for a nice relaxing dinner. I took a couple of colleagues there a few days ago for an authentic country French dinner and was not disappointed at all. In fact, I think the food has gotten even better than before. I ordered the halibut and it came out medium done, just the way I liked it. The waiter was very polite and attentive. If a relaxing French dinner is what you crave for, go to Cyrano's. Oh, don't forget their homemade bread and Pâté.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 613 reviews are from the Cyrano’s Farm Kitchen reviews archive.
- Decent Food, Slow ServiceTorontoVisitorDined on 5/23/2014The food we had (fois gras, duck breast and confit, lamb shank) was reasonably good [although I think I make better duck at home], however it took forever to come. The fois gras arrived 45 minutes after we ordered, and the main courses after another 45 minutes or so - this in a restaurant that was almost empty. The waitress was very apologetic, and she comped us a baguette with butter and mustard and two desserts to compensate, but it was a very long evening.
- I want to support this restaurant..Yuck23VIPDined on 5/14/2014The ambiance is perfect and the chef is delightful. But, the food left a little to be desired and the waiter was woeful. Terrible interpersonal skills which unfortunately, can really affect the dining experience.
- Not that goodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/10/2014We had a new waiter who should have been following someone still as he didn't know the menu. I have worked in the service industry for a long time so I am more forgiving of new waitstaff but it seemed as the new waiter was thrown in without any training. The cocktails were also not good at all. Drinks were room temperature and should have been chilled and bubbly. I would just play it safe and recommend the wine. I burnt my arm on the escargot plate. I was never told it was even hot even though I should have known better. The best part was the live jazz music and the halibut special. For a romantic night out I would suggest going elsewhere. I don't think this restaurant is going to be around too long.
- Outstanding foodluv2eatVIPDined on 5/7/2014This was our first visit to Cyrano's and we will put this restaurant on our list to return to. We had the chicken pate and the beet salad to start which were both excellent! For the main courses, I had the salmon which was melt in your mouth good, and he had the steak frites which he enjoyed. We did get a side of the potatoes au gratin which were another one of those dishes you hope will be as good as it sounds and it actually was! We will be going back again!Special Features:
- Best French restaurant in ChicagofrenchieVIPDined on 3/28/2014Being French, I know French food. I have tried many French restaurants in the city and Cyrano is the best so far. The cuisine is authentic and cook to perfection. This restaurant has been around for over 15 years and more people need to try it. The steak and frites was the best piece of meat I have had in a long time. The meat had no grizzle or piece of fat or nerve. It was cooked just the way I ask. My friend had the salmon and he agreed that this was the best salmon he ever had. It was poached. To start we had the charcuterie plate and it had some of the best pates. They have live music on Fridays and Saturdays in the lower level. If you have never had French food, try Cyrano's Farm Kitchen, you won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The cabaret scene downstairsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/21/2014The cabaret scene downstairs was delightful. Our waitress was very nice, but the busboy was in training, and was clumsy, awkward and a bit unfortunate. Too bad. I understand everyone has to train, but I suggest the server warn us, and request our patience, rather than just subject us. The food was excellent, except for the rabbit, which was grisly. Also too bad as the other courses were delicious and expertly prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved It!RTChiDined on 3/19/2014We had a wonderful meal! The sea bass was fantastic! The service was good. I look forward to our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quaint !touvetDined on 3/18/2014Authentic little french bistro tucked into a busy Chicago neighborhood. True dishes to southwest France. Owner / chef was very sweet and attentive, he kept making sure everything wad what we expected and happy with the flavors. Very very delish food, amazing celery root soup and the best sweetbreads I've ever had. The only rhing that made the evening not so great was the servers ability to take care of a patron. Seemed like he was simply filling in for restaurant in a pinch, completely forgot one course and didn't know how to take off bill. I have raved about the food to a few pepple but not the service. SorrySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what I expected....OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/17/2014Can't say that I will return as service was sparse and food lacked the flavors I so fondly remembered.
- Try the charcuterieOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 3/15/2014The selection of meat and pate was pretty extensive and delicous. With a glass of wine and nice bread, it would make a great lunch!
- Charlie Trotter EventSmithDined on 3/2/2014This was a special event in memory of Charlie Trotter. There were 9 chefs in total that prepared various courses and spoke of their experience working in the Trotter kitchen. Very special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming French fareCCroVIPDined on 2/18/2014We had an exquisite French meal in a charming environment. The escargot, coc au vin, and salmon were all marvelous.Special Features:
- WonderfulgrtrxVIPDined on 2/15/2014Always good to dine with Chef Durand. Found an exception 1998 BDX and worked backwards wit the menu - steak frite and foie gras. All very good, attentative service, and a very good jazz trio to entertain. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food at Cyrano'sRussDined on 2/15/2014We'd had lunch at Cyrano's Riverwalk cafe and really enjoyed the food and service. And the same transferred to their Farm Kitchen on Wells too! We sat in the cabaret and enjoyed wonderfully prepared food, and heard great jazz from Lady T and band. Really enjoyed our visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Servers need trainingJustBeeVIPDined on 2/15/2014Food was typical of Cyranos: good pates and rillettes; OK/good mains. But as with previous visits, the servers were painfully uninformed. Ex: from the latest visit my dining companion was told that pinot noir was a sweet wine; my glass of chardonnay, "is a seriously oakey wine." (It's not and I knew that, being familiar w/the vineyard.) He wasn't the only server having difficulties; there were other tables experiencing the same with another server (who, incidentally brought us the wrong entrees, and then insisted that they were the correct ones). Altho not really expensive, I can't recommend it any longer; the food just doesn't offset the ineptitude of the wait staff.
- Had reservations for valentinesk222Dined on 2/14/2014Had reservations for valentines day and we were told the minimum wait was 45 minutes in a restaurant that was way too hot and shoulder to shoulder people. No thanks!
- Overbooked reservations- didOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2014Overbooked reservations- did not get seated on Valentine's evening.