167 East Bay Street
Charleston, SC 29401Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.magnolias-blossom-cypress.com/
- Phone: (843) 727-0111
- Hours of Operation:
Bar opens at 5:00pm
Dinner starts at 5:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Low Country, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Craig Deihl
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Cypress
Led by James Beard-nominated Executive Chef Craig Deihl, Cypress sources ingredients from the Lowcountry's finest farmers and fishermen. Classic American cuisine, a dynamic Seasonal menu, and an in-house charcuterie program showcase Chef Deihl's signature style, all complemented by the wine wall featuring over 4,500 bottles from vineyards around the world.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Cypress reviews from OpenTable diners
233 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (153)fit for foodies (147)notable wine list (125)romantic (121)good for groups (54)hot spot (46)neighborhood gem (45)vibrant bar scene (33)late-night find (16)kid-friendly (5)great for lunch (4)scenic view (4)great for brunch (3)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Top pick of ours for Charleston.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/21/2014In our opinion, Charleston is one of the country's best food destinations. Cypress is one of the better venue's among a host of great restaurants in this city. Our chateaubriand was done just as we requested (medium rare) and the Bordeaux we selected from an better than average wine listing was a perfect pairing. The upstairs seating area was busy without being noisy and our booth was plush and very comfortable. Cypress more that met our expectations for a special dinner for this visit to a favorite East Coast location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sashimi/oystersSplendidDined on 11/21/2014The sashimi tuna atop 5 small chilled oysters was dazzling.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic AgainOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/14/2014Visiting from Pittsburgh, and couldn't wait to return to this great place. We were here in August and I had one of the best meals of my life then, this visit was a duplication!! All great including our waiter Graham!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/14/2014New restaurants open and get some temporary buzz but Cypress never disappoints. The wasabi tuna in the best dish in Charleston!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding ExperienceBiggieDined on 11/10/2014In preparation for our recent (and first) visit to Charleston, I researched restaurants on Open Table for Charleston and found Cypress. What a great restaurant and experience! The food, service, and ambiance were terrific. We tried the Caesar Salad, Bone-in Rib Eye (for 2), the Broccoli Medley, and the Souffle (all outstanding). Our server, Nicole, provided impeccable service. I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone visiting Charleston.Special Features:
- Beautiful, fancy, & delicious!jwestonDined on 11/9/2014Though the prices were quite high (we ended up spending over $150 for two people... just one cocktail included), the taste, plating, and ambience was well worth it. Apart from one instance where a large group had come from upstairs and was exiting very loudly, Cypress was perfectly romantic - mood lighting, clean air, and based on the large room, not too loud. We got a "for two" filet mignon plate, and the meat was absolutely perfect. We ordered two sides as well, and my husband was just in shock at the broccoli, declaring it the best broccoli he'd ever eaten. The small plate of charcuterie (appetizer) was also fantastic and was actually are first charcuterie experience. Neither of us like pickles, but the ones included were demolished.Special Features:
- burger divaBrunchloverDined on 11/3/2014We ate on a monday night in the bar area for their special burger night. One of the best burger I have ever had. Delicious and not your typical sides.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary CelebrationMIC63Dined on 10/31/2014Wonderful evening with outstanding service and food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/29/2014Decor seems bit outdated. Too dark. Very good food. Great serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cypress is just rightJulesybeeDined on 10/27/2014For our last night in Charleston we chose cypress and it did not disappoint. The staff were attentive and the food was excellent. It was southern hospitality and dos with a twist.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the better CHS Restaurantsgeo08VIPDined on 10/24/2014We took out-of-town guests to Cypress because we knew they would like it, and we as usual we were not disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinner with out of town guestsajaahmDined on 10/24/2014Our fourth or fifth time here. Great as always. We always bring our friends that have never been to Charleston to Cypress.A delicious meal with great service.Special Features:
- marchhareDined on 10/23/2014My husband and I had a superlative experience at Cypress. The food, ambience and service were very special. Our server, Graham, was knowledgeable and professional. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TeachDined on 10/20/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our meals...the smoked lamb shoulder was unique and very tasty. Our server was highly attentive without being intrusive. Tableside Caesar salad preparation was informative and interesting. I would highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- BettyDined on 10/20/2014We celebrate special occasions there all the time, and it's always outstanding!Special Features:
- Incredible RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 10/20/2014This restaurant always goes above and beyond to make you happy. They always seat us in a booth like I request on the reservation, they always give great service and great food, and the waitresses/waiters have fantastic attitudes and skill. My wife and I had the Chateaubriand and we cut it with a table knife it was so tender. They also had some great seasonal dishes like pumpkin gnocchi and pumpkin bisque and all of that was absolutely fantastic. The greatest thing about this restaurant is the ambiance. My wife and I love the lighting and the environment in the dining room which is always perfect for a night out. This is in my top 10 restaurants in Charleston.Special Features:
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/18/2014We had excellent, table-side preparation and service. The food was excellent. Bar scene for a nightcap was good too.Special Features:
- Quite good but not off the chartOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/18/2014The place was beautiful and the location great, the service was also good. However, nothing about the place left a lasting impression, including the food. It was good, but not outstandingSpecial Features:
- Great food, great location2ndtimeDined on 10/17/2014My wife and I have dined there twice in the past year, the first time was in the upstairs bar area and the service was great along with the food. This past time we were in the main dining area, it is a large room but one of the quietest restaurants I've been to. The server was very personable and available at the right time but never bothersome. The food was excellent, we had the chateaubriand and it was cooked perfectly. The Meat Board appetizer is very good to. Cypress has become a destination place for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a SurprisepopsDined on 10/17/2014Did not expect it to be such a beautiful and cool restaurant with really great food. I consider this to be one of the best restaurants in Charleston. Have to get table side cesear salad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good and BadSoltekDined on 10/17/2014Our experience at Cypress was mixed. We were seated at (from my point of view) a poor table - situated so that one person sits against the wall with a nice view of the restaurant, while the other sits with their back to the room and a view of the wall. Disappointing. The food was - for the most part - delicious. We ordered several appetizers and soup. The Lobster Bisque and Pumpkin Soups were wonderful, as were the Sweet & Sour Meatballs, the Tuna Rolls and Pimiento Cheese with Jam - with the notable exception of the grilled bread that accompanied the Pimiento Cheese. It was uneatable - charred black, and had a fuel taste to it. Thankfully the table bread provided was good and made a fine substitute.Special Features:
- Continues to be excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/14/2014Had another wonderful meal at Cypress. Service was excellent. I like the fact that the noise level is moderate enough to have a conversation during dinner; something that is a real problem at many of the other Charleston fine restaurants. The food was delicious. I continue to be addicted to the Wasabi tuna....have trouble ordering anything else. Had an outstanding bibb lettuce salad to start.....no concerns whatsoever with this place. Recommend it highly.Special Features:
- excellent dinnerdisasterVIPDined on 10/13/2014we had another excellent dinner ...and they did a great job accounting for a food allergy for one of our party. Highly recommended...Special Features:
- Cypress was Excellent!!Winendine8VIPDined on 10/12/2014We were 15 minutes early and the Hostess seated us anyway; which was a pleasant surprise!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MartinMartinDined on 10/12/2014It was ok, but not worth the 220 $ we left for two. The rapini was too bitter, the sauce to the scallops tasted like burnt whisky.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- rp12VIPDined on 10/11/2014The tuna roll, gnocchi and grilled ribeye for two were out of this world! Our server could not have been more attentive or knowledgeable. The entire experience was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- still the best in charleston!HappyfoodieDined on 10/11/2014This is my favorite restaurant in Charleston. The food is exceptional, the service is good, and the wine list is extensive. I would recommend for special occasions (pricey) or to make any day special (worth the price)!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved itLindaVIPDined on 10/11/2014A wonderful dining experience! Will definitely return on our next visit to the area!Special Features:
- CypressLuvthefoodDined on 10/11/2014Excellent service and dinner. It's a lovely restaurant that delivers excellent service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedAppreciativeDinerVIPDined on 10/10/2014Very disappointed with the meal. The server stated they were a Steak House and it is not. Had the Steak Diane and it had no flavor, just a piece of meat. Wife had scallops and they were lacking flavor as well. Most disappointing meal in CHS in over 40 years.
- Great restaurantFoodie1Dined on 10/7/2014Great place for any special occasion or a date night with spouse. Food was great as usual and the service is outstanding. Loved the wall of wine bottles; very unique. Enjoyed a before dinner at the bar and the service and the drinks were great. This was our second time at Cypress and will be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodforthoughtVIPDined on 10/6/2014The food was great however our experience was ruined by the service. The waiter was very fake and rude leading her to be unacomodating. I would not a eat here again unless at the upstairs bar
- Lovely meal, w/ a low country vibeOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/4/2014Had a great meal here- what we especially enjoyed was although there was certainly a low country vibe, it wasn't she crab soup all the time We had a german inspired special with spaetzle, that was terrific and my wife had a great filet. Couldn't pass up the pimento cheese app. All in all, a great meal with great serviceSpecial Features:
- Not up to ParthadbmeVIPDined on 10/4/2014We visited Cypress four our fourth time over the weekend, and it was without question the worst that we have had. The food was good as usual, but the service this time was very poor and not up to standards. We ran out of water atleast 3 times, plates were not taken away in time, silverware not changed out, and very long times in between table visits. We timed how long it took to have the check taken back once delivered. 16 minutes, and it wasn't our waitress. It was bad enough for me to contact the restaurant to inform them of the meal. I was informed that they addressed the situation and hoped that we join them again. Given that this was our only bad trip here we will try again. But not for a long time.Special Features:
- Luvgreatfood12VIPDined on 10/4/2014A very nice complete dining experience! The rarely-seen Chateaubriand (16 oz) was a mouthwatering melt in your mouth triumph and was especially notableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice dinner experiecetumbleweedVIPDined on 10/3/2014This was the first time we went to Cypress and we thoroughly enjoyed it. Food was great, service good. We will definitely go again.Special Features:
- Nice modern atmosphere...JTownVIPDined on 10/2/2014...And great food. Everything was fresh and was cooked perfectly. Service was excellent. We liked it as much as its sister restaurant, Magnolia, which is also excellent. That one has a more traditional decor and atmosphere, while this one is more modern.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet, elegantDiscriminatorDined on 10/2/2014Great meal and superb service. Don't miss the upstairs bar. A top Charleston restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner during a downpourLZtodineDined on 9/28/2014Hostess and waiter made us feel quite welcome. Atmosphere was warm and inviting. Was one of the most comfortable dining chairs I have ever sat in. Had the trout - it was delicious. Others had the roasted chicken and were also pleased with their meal. Great place to come into out of the rain.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- suzinmdDined on 9/28/2014Food was excellent--the smoothest polenta I've ever had! Chicken was very moist, perfectly prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.