167 East Bay Street
Charleston, SC 29401Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.magnolias-blossom-cypress.com/
- Phone: (843) 727-0111
- Hours of Operation:
Bar opens at 5:00pm
Dinner starts at 5:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Low Country, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Craig Deihl
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Cypress
Led by James Beard-nominated Executive Chef Craig Deihl, Cypress sources ingredients from the Lowcountry's finest farmers and fishermen. Classic American cuisine, a dynamic Seasonal menu, and an in-house charcuterie program showcase Chef Deihl's signature style, all complemented by the wine wall featuring over 4,500 bottles from vineyards around the world.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Cypress reviews from OpenTable diners
237 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (155)fit for foodies (150)notable wine list (128)romantic (122)good for groups (55)neighborhood gem (46)hot spot (46)vibrant bar scene (33)late-night find (16)scenic view (5)kid-friendly (4)great for lunch (4)great for brunch (3)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- suzinmdDined on 9/28/2014Food was excellent--the smoothest polenta I've ever had! Chicken was very moist, perfectly prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful spot!foodiefun4usDined on 9/28/2014We celebrated our anniversary with dinner at Cypress while in Charleston for a wedding. It could not have been a better evening. Great waiter, great service, delicious food, cocktails, and wine. Would go again anytime!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/27/2014We had a delicious dinner with excellent wine and great service! What could be better. Beth GenterSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistentafsjoints123Dined on 9/27/2014What makes Cypress a great restaurant, the consistent food quality & service, always top notch and that's the reason I will continue going back, to me this is one of the best restaurants in Charleston !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 10th Wedding Anniversary DateCocoabeachguyDined on 9/25/2014We chose Cypress as we have lived in Charleston for several years and done most everywhere else. It's really a shame we haven't experienced Cypress before. Wine selection is superb as was Graham M's service, the taste and presentation of the food, and we were reserved a more private "alcove" booth because of the occasion. I would 100% recommend, as well as the 22oz. bone-in ribeye for two.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderfulBTPBDined on 9/21/2014wonderful, creative, professional, delicious, charming, love the interior design, will be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CypressDined on 9/20/2014Excellent dining experience! The food, ambiance and service was greatSpecial Features:
- Amazing!DanielleDined on 9/20/2014I took my boyfriend here since it is on the short list of Charleston's Best Restaurants. The food was amazing and the service and atmosphere was wonderful. Our server was very knowledgable and never intrusive. The atmosphere had a light buzz about it, which was perfect for a date night. Overall, a wonderful experience. I have already recommended Cypress to my colleagues.Special Features:
- Disappointing EveningfrequentdinerDined on 9/17/2014Special evening, highly touted restaurant. We were greeted by a hostess attired in a casual blouse and slacks. The overhead lights kept changing colors and were a distraction. Shortly after we had been seated and ordered drinks, a very loud and extremely noisy group was seated that was even more annoying. The Caesar's Salad was a more salty than we would have preferred. It was however the Chateaubriand that sank the evening. It was so salty that my girlfriend was unable to eat it and the excess salt in the seasoning and sauces burnt my tongue. The final disappointment was receiving the server's order pad instead the check. To the restaurant's credit, they did comp the Chateaubriand. We will not be returning.
- excellent in every wayOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/14/2014The tuna sashimi/ oyster app is a must try! We got there a little later in the eve due to our traveling from out of town but the staff was sure to happily accommodate us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!MicheleVIPDined on 9/13/2014This is my favorite restaurant downtown. Loved the atmosphere and the food. The filet was so moist you could literally cut it with a fork. Been here many times and always had great service. However, this time, our waitress was terrible and very rude. She seemed like she was too busy. I was very surprised at her lack of experience. I will go back and hopefully the management will take care of her lack of skills. Service is so important to me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quinn55Dined on 9/12/2014They were able to seat us 15 minutes early. Our server was knowledgeable, helpful, and attentive but not overwhelmingly so. The food was very good. My husband thoroughly enjoyed the charcuterrie plate and the Ahi Tuna; the butter lettuce salad is wonderful and the pork belly to die for however the pork loin was a bit overcooked. All in all, we had a wonderful experience.Special Features:
- Lovely eveningfoodisgreatDined on 9/12/2014Cypress gave our party of four impeccable service. They accommodated our dietary needs as we had more than one allergy that needed to be addressed. Our waiter knew the menu and what changes could be made. He also made excellent suggestions. The extensive wine list gave us multiple options to pair with our food. The presentation of the appetizers and entrees were beautiful. The entire experience was perfect!Special Features:
- Beautiful placeKatekellyDined on 9/11/2014Loved the chateubriand. Disappointed they were out of a lot of the wine we wanted to drink.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow service, food okayJJCharMeckDined on 9/11/2014We live in Charlotte and eat here once a year, probably not next year. Took almost three hours from start to finish cause of slow service. Food was okay not great. It was restaurant week but we ordered off the regular menu. For $300 expect more from food and service.Special Features:
- Always greatKathythefoodie123Dined on 9/11/2014I have never been disappointed with Cypress. Consistently great food, service and ambience !! Nice for me, as we live a block away........Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Has Lost Its LustrePalmettoMelDined on 9/11/2014Cypress has been a favorite of ours for years, for special occasions. We chose from the Restaurant Week menu and were rather disappointed in the lackluster offerings. My trout was on the dry side and paired with a spicy mix of plantation peas and Carolina Gold rice which overwhelmed the delicate trout. My husband's duo of pork was good, but served with okra halved lengthwise that was tough and fibrous and inedible. Not sure why it was even on the plate. The charcuterie was good -- the cypressata excellent. Dessert was disappointing as well. Red velvet profiteroles were a bit tough, not light and fluffy as they should be. The best part of the cake duo was the caramel ice cream dollops on top. Sad to report the above.Special Features:
- OutstandingsherrybethVIPDined on 9/11/2014We eat out in Charleston a lot and enjoy trying different restaurants during restaurant week. Charleston rarely disappoints but then occasionally a restaurant hits all the marks. Cypress did that. The atmosphere was sophisticated, the service (Greg) was attentive, knowledgeable and just the right amount of conversation. The food was inventive, creative, delicious and artfully presented. We will return time and again. Another plus, Cypress, along with their sister restaurants Blossom and Magnolias provide free parking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cypress can do much better...OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/11/2014We decided to try the Restaurant Week menu. The meatball appetizer was okay, not great. My husband's BBQ beef dish was very good, but my ricotta gnocchi was awful. No flavor, no texture...I might as well have ordered wallpaper paste! Cypress was good enough to listen to my suggestions for improvement (spice, heat, something!) and also reduce our bill by the price of my entree. The dessert, peanut butter and chocolate duo, was just okay. Service, on the other hand, was terrific. Had this been our first dining experience there, we would not return. However, we've dined there before, know how great it can be, and will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!supremedollyDined on 9/10/2014My fiancé and I decided to go to Cypress for a "pre-wedding" date to celebrate our upcoming marriage. Our waitress congratulated us immediately upon arriving. She was helpful without being overbearing, and very friendly. Our dinner was delicious (the roasted oysters are our favorite), and when we ordered dessert, our waitress brought us two glasses of champagne to toast to our wedding. We already loved Cypress, but they made our night exceptional! Delicious food, wonderful atmosphere, great staff!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quality diningStedeBonnetDined on 9/9/2014We enjoyed the 3 courses for $40 restaurant week menu. An excellent salmon appetizer special was allowed as a substitution for the standard RW menu. My wife enjoyed her sweet and sour meatballs app though the meatballs were a bit overlooked for my tastes. My pan-fried trout was good but the trout was overpowered by the accompanying gumbo. My wife enjoyed the pork duo but left half of the pork behind. All portions were very generous so they are definitely not reducing quantity for Restaurant Week specials. The peanut butter fudge duo dessert was large and sweet, more than enough for two. Red velvet cream puffs were less interesting and left behind after a few small tastes. Excellent service and a nice quiet dining environment.Special Features:
- Always EnjoyableCarolDined on 9/9/2014This was our second time dining at Cypress. It was just as good as the first time a few years ago! Their wine cellar is extensive, and the charcuterie is made inhouse. The staff is knowledgable on all aspects of each menu and the preparation of each selection offered. The restaurant's ambiance is conducive to a relaxed dining experience with tall, curved booths and the soft, changing colors of the lighting above. I'm glad we went back, and I hope to dine there again very soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- loveATLdiningVIPDined on 9/8/2014very pricey which is good if the food is spectacular, but honestly it was just good. also, need more fish/seafood options!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dinner!Lara4HeelsDined on 9/8/2014I dined here while in town on business - what a wonderful experience! Service was fantastic, my server recommended a great wine to complement my meal, and the food was some of the best I've had in Charleston. Don't skip the charcuterie - it is made in-house and is delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/7/2014We had already heard great things about this place, but were blown away by the food and service. My wife and I agree that this will be a restaurant that we will have to come back to when we are in Charleston. Sashimi Tuna Oysters are phenomenal.Special Features:
- Restaurant WeekCharlestonArtistDined on 9/7/2014Had eaten here twice before and wanted our son to experience it too, so I brought him during Restaurant Week (3 courses, $40). We both enjoyed our meals very much!Special Features:
- goodstuffDined on 9/7/2014Service wonderful Food Great Portions good size We will go again.Great special drinks Very nice atmosphereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CypressOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/6/2014It was ok. Didn't love the menu. It was restaurant week but we ordered off regular menu. Just wanted a plain grilled fish. No sauces . Will try again.
- MediocreAcnativeDined on 9/6/2014My bf and I have been to many fine dining places im town and had yet to go to cypress. We tried for restaurant week and ordered from those selections. Needless to say I was unimpressed. My meatballs tasted burnt & dry.The BBQ beef was overwhelming everything was drenched in BBQ sauce. The beans ,collards & meat all tasted the same. It's the first time I have ever left food on my plate in this town... Service was great & the wine list was decent but I am willing to pay high prices for excellent food not atmosphere.Special Features:
- Unbelievably DisappointingtruebluefoodDined on 9/6/2014Not enough characters for a decent review: Smoked salmon-okay. Crustini-chewy and stale. Lobster Bisque-tepid and bland but lobster bit- nice. Trout- terrible recipe. Gumbo- too peppery & I like pepper! Filet -excellent. Crab- a mushy mess. Baby eggplants- inedible. Peanut butter duo & Red Velvet puffs- dry, boring & almost prepackaged taste. Thankful for the ice cream on top. We had high hopes & this was a huge let down. The bill was $100 which would have been fine for what we'd expected but not for what we received. Wasn't worth 1/4 of that. Gorgeous ambiance & attentive wait staff were the only positives we took away from Cypress. Honestly, it was so ludicrously bad, we were laughing about it afterward but will certainly never return.Special Features:
- Cypress great foodHappyeatingDined on 9/6/2014The rack of lamb was the best my husband and I have ever had. Caesar salad made at your table was great and grilled pound cake with blueberries topped it off.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- don't go during restaurant weekmediocreVIPDined on 9/6/2014The food was practically inedible. I'll chalk it up to restaurant week, but it was incredibly disappointing. The service was great, as were the drinks. First time I've had a bad experience there, so I will give it another shot.Special Features:
- LovelyBirthdayCelebrDined on 9/6/2014Found the atmosphere to be just lovely and the food really great - especially the oyster+tuna appetizer!Special Features:
- CypressJues12345Dined on 9/5/2014The food was delicious but the waiter made the night! He was professional, knowledgeable and made the evening even more enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special PlaceFrequentDinerVIPDined on 9/5/2014Restaurant week can bring out less than stellar experiences. NOT SO at Cypress. The food was great and the service was the way it should be. This is getting to be one of our top choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous findFranDined on 9/5/2014The quality of food was a ten! The waiter, josh, was so personable we invited him to join us for dinner He made it very enjoyable. We always make it a point to dine at cypress. Kudos!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Dinner!teresahsVIPDined on 9/5/2014Mt favorite thing about Cypress is the cool atmosphere. I wanted to treat my 21 year daughter to an upscale dinner out. I would have preferred downstairs seating, but didn't request it. We were seated upstairs, which is quieter. Cypress will do a nice split of entree for a few extra dollars. We knew that we wanted dessert, so we split the charcuterie, wasabi tuna, frozen s'more and a bottle if wine. It was more than enough.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- top notchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/5/2014everything at Cypress was over the top, food, service, attention to detail. highly recommend Cypress.Special Features:
- Best restaurant in CharlestonNABjamDined on 9/2/2014In a town known for food, Cypress shines. The service is fantastic. If you have Graham add your server, then you are in for a treat. Their house cured charcuterie is fantastic. The Steak Diane melts in your mouth. Pair it with their handmade gnocchi and a wine suggested by the staff (possibly the best merlot I've ever had) and you're in heaven. This will be my new go to restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never DissappointsLSC1Dined on 9/1/2014Cypress is a tried and true fine dining experience that has graced Charleston for years and never disappoints. There are a number of great, mature Charleston restaurants where you are always assured of getting a great meal, great service in a wonderful atmosphere and Cypress ranks in the top three for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.