167 East Bay Street
Charleston, SC 29401Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.magnolias-blossom-cypress.com/
- Phone: 8437270111x
- Hours of Operation:
Bar opens at 5:00pm
Dinner starts at 5:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Low Country, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Craig Deihl
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Cypress
Led by James Beard-nominated Executive Chef Craig Deihl, Cypress sources ingredients from the Lowcountry's finest farmers and fishermen. Classic American cuisine, a dynamic Seasonal menu, and an in-house charcuterie program showcase Chef Deihl's signature style, all complemented by the wine wall featuring over 4,500 bottles from vineyards around the world.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Cypress reviews from OpenTable diners
234 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (161)fit for foodies (144)notable wine list (134)romantic (132)good for groups (57)hot spot (47)neighborhood gem (45)vibrant bar scene (30)late-night find (16)scenic view (10)kid-friendly (6)great for brunch (5)great for lunch (5)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/18/2014We had excellent, table-side preparation and service. The food was excellent. Bar scene for a nightcap was good too.Special Features:
- Quite good but not off the chartOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/18/2014The place was beautiful and the location great, the service was also good. However, nothing about the place left a lasting impression, including the food. It was good, but not outstandingSpecial Features:
- Great food, great locationOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014My wife and I have dined there twice in the past year, the first time was in the upstairs bar area and the service was great along with the food. This past time we were in the main dining area, it is a large room but one of the quietest restaurants I've been to. The server was very personable and available at the right time but never bothersome. The food was excellent, we had the chateaubriand and it was cooked perfectly. The Meat Board appetizer is very good to. Cypress has become a destination place for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a SurprisepopsDined on 10/17/2014Did not expect it to be such a beautiful and cool restaurant with really great food. I consider this to be one of the best restaurants in Charleston. Have to get table side cesear salad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good and BadOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/17/2014Our experience at Cypress was mixed. We were seated at (from my point of view) a poor table - situated so that one person sits against the wall with a nice view of the restaurant, while the other sits with their back to the room and a view of the wall. Disappointing. The food was - for the most part - delicious. We ordered several appetizers and soup. The Lobster Bisque and Pumpkin Soups were wonderful, as were the Sweet & Sour Meatballs, the Tuna Rolls and Pimiento Cheese with Jam - with the notable exception of the grilled bread that accompanied the Pimiento Cheese. It was uneatable - charred black, and had a fuel taste to it. Thankfully the table bread provided was good and made a fine substitute.Special Features:
- Continues to be excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/14/2014Had another wonderful meal at Cypress. Service was excellent. I like the fact that the noise level is moderate enough to have a conversation during dinner; something that is a real problem at many of the other Charleston fine restaurants. The food was delicious. I continue to be addicted to the Wasabi tuna....have trouble ordering anything else. Had an outstanding bibb lettuce salad to start.....no concerns whatsoever with this place. Recommend it highly.Special Features:
- excellent dinnerdisasterVIPDined on 10/13/2014we had another excellent dinner ...and they did a great job accounting for a food allergy for one of our party. Highly recommended...Special Features:
- Cypress was Excellent!!Winendine8VIPDined on 10/12/2014We were 15 minutes early and the Hostess seated us anyway; which was a pleasant surprise!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MartinMartinDined on 10/12/2014It was ok, but not worth the 220 $ we left for two. The rapini was too bitter, the sauce to the scallops tasted like burnt whisky.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- rp12VIPDined on 10/11/2014The tuna roll, gnocchi and grilled ribeye for two were out of this world! Our server could not have been more attentive or knowledgeable. The entire experience was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- still the best in charleston!HappyfoodieDined on 10/11/2014This is my favorite restaurant in Charleston. The food is exceptional, the service is good, and the wine list is extensive. I would recommend for special occasions (pricey) or to make any day special (worth the price)!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved itLindaVIPDined on 10/11/2014A wonderful dining experience! Will definitely return on our next visit to the area!Special Features:
- CypressLuvthefoodDined on 10/11/2014Excellent service and dinner. It's a lovely restaurant that delivers excellent service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedAppreciativeDinerDined on 10/10/2014Very disappointed with the meal. The server stated they were a Steak House and it is not. Had the Steak Diane and it had no flavor, just a piece of meat. Wife had scallops and they were lacking flavor as well. Most disappointing meal in CHS in over 40 years.
- Great restaurantFoodie1Dined on 10/7/2014Great place for any special occasion or a date night with spouse. Food was great as usual and the service is outstanding. Loved the wall of wine bottles; very unique. Enjoyed a before dinner at the bar and the service and the drinks were great. This was our second time at Cypress and will be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodforthoughtVIPDined on 10/6/2014The food was great however our experience was ruined by the service. The waiter was very fake and rude leading her to be unacomodating. I would not a eat here again unless at the upstairs bar
- Not up to ParthadbmeDined on 10/4/2014We visited Cypress four our fourth time over the weekend, and it was without question the worst that we have had. The food was good as usual, but the service this time was very poor and not up to standards. We ran out of water atleast 3 times, plates were not taken away in time, silverware not changed out, and very long times in between table visits. We timed how long it took to have the check taken back once delivered. 16 minutes, and it wasn't our waitress. It was bad enough for me to contact the restaurant to inform them of the meal. I was informed that they addressed the situation and hoped that we join them again. Given that this was our only bad trip here we will try again. But not for a long time.Special Features:
- Luvgreatfood12VIPDined on 10/4/2014A very nice complete dining experience! The rarely-seen Chateaubriand (16 oz) was a mouthwatering melt in your mouth triumph and was especially notableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice dinner experiecetumbleweedVIPDined on 10/3/2014This was the first time we went to Cypress and we thoroughly enjoyed it. Food was great, service good. We will definitely go again.Special Features:
- Quiet, elegantDiscriminatorDined on 10/2/2014Great meal and superb service. Don't miss the upstairs bar. A top Charleston restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner during a downpourLZtodineDined on 9/28/2014Hostess and waiter made us feel quite welcome. Atmosphere was warm and inviting. Was one of the most comfortable dining chairs I have ever sat in. Had the trout - it was delicious. Others had the roasted chicken and were also pleased with their meal. Great place to come into out of the rain.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- suzinmdDined on 9/28/2014Food was excellent--the smoothest polenta I've ever had! Chicken was very moist, perfectly prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful spot!foodiefun4usDined on 9/28/2014We celebrated our anniversary with dinner at Cypress while in Charleston for a wedding. It could not have been a better evening. Great waiter, great service, delicious food, cocktails, and wine. Would go again anytime!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/27/2014We had a delicious dinner with excellent wine and great service! What could be better. Beth GenterSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistentafsjoints123Dined on 9/27/2014What makes Cypress a great restaurant, the consistent food quality & service, always top notch and that's the reason I will continue going back, to me this is one of the best restaurants in Charleston !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 10th Wedding Anniversary DateCocoabeachguyDined on 9/25/2014We chose Cypress as we have lived in Charleston for several years and done most everywhere else. It's really a shame we haven't experienced Cypress before. Wine selection is superb as was Graham M's service, the taste and presentation of the food, and we were reserved a more private "alcove" booth because of the occasion. I would 100% recommend, as well as the 22oz. bone-in ribeye for two.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderfulBTPBDined on 9/21/2014wonderful, creative, professional, delicious, charming, love the interior design, will be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CypressDined on 9/20/2014Excellent dining experience! The food, ambiance and service was greatSpecial Features:
- Amazing!DanielleDined on 9/20/2014I took my boyfriend here since it is on the short list of Charleston's Best Restaurants. The food was amazing and the service and atmosphere was wonderful. Our server was very knowledgable and never intrusive. The atmosphere had a light buzz about it, which was perfect for a date night. Overall, a wonderful experience. I have already recommended Cypress to my colleagues.Special Features:
- Disappointing EveningfrequentdinerDined on 9/17/2014Special evening, highly touted restaurant. We were greeted by a hostess attired in a casual blouse and slacks. The overhead lights kept changing colors and were a distraction. Shortly after we had been seated and ordered drinks, a very loud and extremely noisy group was seated that was even more annoying. The Caesar's Salad was a more salty than we would have preferred. It was however the Chateaubriand that sank the evening. It was so salty that my girlfriend was unable to eat it and the excess salt in the seasoning and sauces burnt my tongue. The final disappointment was receiving the server's order pad instead the check. To the restaurant's credit, they did comp the Chateaubriand. We will not be returning.
- excellent in every wayOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/14/2014The tuna sashimi/ oyster app is a must try! We got there a little later in the eve due to our traveling from out of town but the staff was sure to happily accommodate us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!MicheleVIPDined on 9/13/2014This is my favorite restaurant downtown. Loved the atmosphere and the food. The filet was so moist you could literally cut it with a fork. Been here many times and always had great service. However, this time, our waitress was terrible and very rude. She seemed like she was too busy. I was very surprised at her lack of experience. I will go back and hopefully the management will take care of her lack of skills. Service is so important to me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quinn55Dined on 9/12/2014They were able to seat us 15 minutes early. Our server was knowledgeable, helpful, and attentive but not overwhelmingly so. The food was very good. My husband thoroughly enjoyed the charcuterrie plate and the Ahi Tuna; the butter lettuce salad is wonderful and the pork belly to die for however the pork loin was a bit overcooked. All in all, we had a wonderful experience.Special Features:
- Lovely eveningfoodisgreatDined on 9/12/2014Cypress gave our party of four impeccable service. They accommodated our dietary needs as we had more than one allergy that needed to be addressed. Our waiter knew the menu and what changes could be made. He also made excellent suggestions. The extensive wine list gave us multiple options to pair with our food. The presentation of the appetizers and entrees were beautiful. The entire experience was perfect!Special Features:
- Beautiful placeKatekellyDined on 9/11/2014Loved the chateubriand. Disappointed they were out of a lot of the wine we wanted to drink.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow service, food okayJJCharMeckDined on 9/11/2014We live in Charlotte and eat here once a year, probably not next year. Took almost three hours from start to finish cause of slow service. Food was okay not great. It was restaurant week but we ordered off the regular menu. For $300 expect more from food and service.Special Features:
- Always greatKathythefoodie123Dined on 9/11/2014I have never been disappointed with Cypress. Consistently great food, service and ambience !! Nice for me, as we live a block away........Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Has Lost Its LustrePalmettoMelDined on 9/11/2014Cypress has been a favorite of ours for years, for special occasions. We chose from the Restaurant Week menu and were rather disappointed in the lackluster offerings. My trout was on the dry side and paired with a spicy mix of plantation peas and Carolina Gold rice which overwhelmed the delicate trout. My husband's duo of pork was good, but served with okra halved lengthwise that was tough and fibrous and inedible. Not sure why it was even on the plate. The charcuterie was good -- the cypressata excellent. Dessert was disappointing as well. Red velvet profiteroles were a bit tough, not light and fluffy as they should be. The best part of the cake duo was the caramel ice cream dollops on top. Sad to report the above.Special Features:
- OutstandingsherrybethVIPDined on 9/11/2014We eat out in Charleston a lot and enjoy trying different restaurants during restaurant week. Charleston rarely disappoints but then occasionally a restaurant hits all the marks. Cypress did that. The atmosphere was sophisticated, the service (Greg) was attentive, knowledgeable and just the right amount of conversation. The food was inventive, creative, delicious and artfully presented. We will return time and again. Another plus, Cypress, along with their sister restaurants Blossom and Magnolias provide free parking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cypress can do much better...OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/11/2014We decided to try the Restaurant Week menu. The meatball appetizer was okay, not great. My husband's BBQ beef dish was very good, but my ricotta gnocchi was awful. No flavor, no texture...I might as well have ordered wallpaper paste! Cypress was good enough to listen to my suggestions for improvement (spice, heat, something!) and also reduce our bill by the price of my entree. The dessert, peanut butter and chocolate duo, was just okay. Service, on the other hand, was terrific. Had this been our first dining experience there, we would not return. However, we've dined there before, know how great it can be, and will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.