167 East Bay Street
Charleston, SC 29401Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.magnolias-blossom-cypress.com/
- Phone: 8437270111x
- Hours of Operation:
Bar opens at 5:00pm
Dinner starts at 5:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Low Country, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Craig Deihl
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Cypress
Led by James Beard-nominated Executive Chef Craig Deihl, Cypress sources ingredients from the Lowcountry's finest farmers and fishermen. Classic American cuisine, a dynamic Seasonal menu, and an in-house charcuterie program showcase Chef Deihl's signature style, all complemented by the wine wall featuring over 4,500 bottles from vineyards around the world.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
Cypress reviews from OpenTable diners
254 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (180)fit for foodies (150)romantic (143)notable wine list (136)good for groups (55)hot spot (41)neighborhood gem (39)vibrant bar scene (36)scenic view (14)late-night find (13)great for brunch (5)great for lunch (4)kid-friendly (4)Show More
- Very special occasionMingo13Dined on 8/26/2014We didn't visit this restaurant for any special occasion, but just dining here made it one! Incredible wine list, food cooked to perfection, impeccable service. We cut our Chateaubriand with a butter knife. Outstanding ambiance. We look forward to returning and trying different menu items.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing1avgJoeDined on 8/24/2014My wife and I picked Cypress at random for many highly recommended restaurants in Charleston Historic district. It was an amazing dinnig experience and I would definitely recommend it to all. We had the Lamb Chops and they were the best I have ever eaten and it paired well with the Italian Brunello wine. I don't think you can go wrong eating at Cyress. This beautiful restaurant is not a place for children its a place for a great romantic meal for two or a gathering of good friends for a meal to remember.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great date nightmbj29Dined on 8/23/2014We had a great meal from the appetizers to the drinks. The bar is fabulous and the restaurant is comfortable and classy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hot platesOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/22/2014We recently dined at your restaurant. The service was excellent , the decor amazing, the food was not great. We told the waiter that we were not in a rush and wanted a relaxed dining experience. He fulfilled this request. Unfortunately the kitchen did not. It was obvious that our main course had been cooked and kept hot until we were ready. The waitress said be careful your plates are very hot. This is and was not acceptable. My food had been burnt. This was the salmon end coute. Pastry burnt fish over cooked. My husbands dish ( the trout) was dried out) this was I suspect because the food had been kept under a hot plate! Or grill to keep warm. We had to send the food back as we could not touch the plates. Same food returned. Not good.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/21/2014The staff was most accommodating and friendly. The meal was well prepared and presented. Enjoyed the cream brulee.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnonymousDined on 8/19/2014The food and service were very good. I had the almond Brie appetizer that was quite tasty. Unfortunately, we sat next to a party of ten and they were noisy. We loved the every changing ceiling lights.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JayneVIPDined on 8/16/2014Great service, ambiance and food. Absolutely love it.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceSC001Dined on 8/16/2014Was recommended by a friend, food was excellent, had raw oysters and a shrimp and grits they had on special that was by far the best ive ever had, on top of the fact that the service was excellent and both our waiter and manager really cared about our experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PeterPDined on 8/15/2014Our first visit to Cypress. We were impressed by the decor and interior design. Appetisers were excellent - tuna and cucumber wrap and charcuterie platter. Mains were disappointing - a chicken breast was supplied almost raw, was sent back and retuned to us having been flashed on a grill for about 5 minutes. It was still pink and translucent so was exchanged for the beef special. This was an interesting mix of fillet of beef with barbecue smoke brisket in a tomato corn reduction. Tasty and very lightly cooked (the way beef should be) but the pepper crust on the fillet steak overpowered its delicate taste. Would hope that a restaurant in this price bracket could cook chicken safely and season beef so you can still taste it.
- First Time ThereCindyVIPDined on 8/15/2014First time dining there. beautiful restaurant. Amazing meal. Had best ever appetizer of tuna in a cucumber roll. My husband loved his oysters topped with free tuna sushi. Dinner was also amazing. Loved the smores dessert.Special Features:
- Birthday dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/15/2014Went with family to celebrate birthday in the weekend I also moved my only daughter into college of Charleston. The food was excellent. Had some new flavors that I wish we could prepare at home. Wine list was extensive having one of my all time favorites, Cake Bread. Will go back but given cost will have to be for another special occasionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/12/2014The chacuterie plate was the stand out but we also had the wasabi tuna and the wreckfish that were both inventive and delicious. The wine by the glass list included a nice variety of reasonably priced wines that could be matched to the courses. Service was very attentive. Loved the high ceilings and natural light.Special Features:
- LorenzoDined on 8/11/2014Server was attentive and friendly. Food quality was okay, but not up to par for a fine restaurant focused on serving beef. Vegetables were overly tough and hard to eat, especially the grilled okra. Beef was tender but not well seasoned and lacked the "sear" one would expect. Seafood chowder was underseasoned, too sweet, and not served hot enough. No cracked pepper was offered, and there were no salt/pepper shakers on the table for self-seasoning. Desserts were the best part of the meal. Not a bad restaurant, but, considering the cost, I would not go again for so-so quality of food.Special Features:
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014Had a very warm welcoming as we entered. Service, food, etc: all was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014this is truly one of our very favorite restaurants. The food is outstanding and so is the atmosphere. service is also great.Special Features:
- Motherboard - O M G ! ! !IreneMariaDined on 8/6/2014Lovely restaurant - saw small and larger groups. We were a party of two and it is a good spot for a romantic dinner date. Had the motherboard - oh my goodness! Meats, pates, galore. It was plenty for a party of four but we were only two! The 16 month cured meat (can't remember the name - incredibly delicious). Well worth the $42. Also shared the heirloom tomato salad and the pimento cheese - the cheese was so different from any pimento cheese we had in the city with pickled pepper jelly on top - a combo of sweet and savory. The best "different" kind of pimento cheese I've ever had. The fried mac and cheese - pure delicious decadence. The ricotta gnocchi - good but not needed after everything else we had. Fantastic meal.Special Features:
- Great Charleston RestaurantPhilCDined on 8/6/2014The cured meat sampler platter wad very special! The sauce on the Steak Diane turned a good dish into outstandingSpecial Features:
- Cypress Aug 2014kevhedgesDined on 8/3/2014Excellent as usual, except if you like your steak on the rarer side be sure to confirm. We asked for Med Rare and it was fully cooked all the way through. The Tuna is certainly my favorite.Special Features:
- Never fails to please the senseszinchDined on 8/2/2014Cypress has become one of our favorite, if not overall, restaurant in Charleston. We brought our little one and the server treated her exceptionally well. She had a great experience which made ours that much better. The Chateaubriand was delectable with a classic preparation, perfect temperature, and a perfect crust with a creamy bearnaise. The Wreckfish and Salmon Wellington were out of this world. Our server was very knowledgable and thorough from start to finish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantasticlac29072Dined on 8/1/2014We've been to Cypress twice in the past 6 years. The food has always been excellent the service fantastic and agreat atmosphere. with the extensive wine list you're sure to find something for every palate. With the use of the open table app we were able to go in and sit down right away without having to wait it was great!Special Features:
- Charcuterie!!!!!!Dine2VineDined on 7/29/2014My husband and I shared all plates. We had their small salumi plate and the oyster appetizers. Both were generous portions. All their charcuterie is made in house by chef Craig Deihl. Both were fabulous. We shared the Caesar for 2. Made at table side. Fabulous! Just enough garlic, mustard, oil, egg yolk in the perfectly whisked dressing! Fresh shaved Parmesan cheese. Yum. Chateaubriand for 2 :) Cooked peeeerrrrrfect. I'm from cattle country in central California and know a good choice beef. It was tender and juicy. What else must I say. The new twist Qed with hickory! Oh my my!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JkerrdogVIPDined on 7/26/2014Very urbane feel. Minimalist without the concrete floors. Liked the wine storage design as well as the selection process which incorporates the use of a tablet-like device. Helpful wait-staff while avoiding being over- bearing. The food was sophisticated and well presented (in addition to tasting good as we had expected).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CyprusyutyutDined on 7/26/2014Great experience. Couldn't have asked for more from the food or wait staff. Definitely worth the visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SteveDined on 7/23/2014As a Charleston local, Cypress is always a great dining experience in a crowded field of superb dining destinations.Special Features:
- LOVE IT!!!NeedaFoodFixDined on 7/20/2014We love everything about Cypress! We went last year for our wedding night dinner and again recently for our 1st anniversary. Both times it was incredible. The oysters w/sushi grade tuna is probably my favorite thing ever. The make the Cesar dressing right at the table and it's fantastic. My husbands filet was so tender and cooked to perfection he really didn't even need a knife. Cypress pear martini - my new fav martini. I just can't say enough great things about the place. It is pricey, so will continue to be a special occasion meal, but worth every penny. I can't wait for our 2nd anniversary.Special Features:
- Terrific food.kurtkDined on 7/19/2014Great home made charcuterie. Try the various samplers. Entries were delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious late night snacksAandj8804Dined on 7/18/2014Cypress was a fun restaurant to get a meat and cheese plate on my first night visiting Charleston for the weekend. It was a bit expensive, but the view from our table on the second floor of the city streets was lovely. I do not recommend the meat or cheese plates for anyone that is not adventurous and willing to try new things.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wait StaffSuzKDined on 7/18/2014Our Waiter(Graham) was extremely knowledgeable and made our dinner most enjoyable. The best waiter we ever had.Special Features:
- OutstandingKeyesDined on 7/16/2014My husband and I continue to come back to Cypress because of the excellent service, atmosphere and outstanding food - not to mention the convenient parking. The crispy wasabi tuna is the absolute best tuna dish I have ever tasted.Special Features:
- Wonderful EveningFoodproDined on 7/16/2014The entire evening was delightful. Our server, Melissa, was appropriately attentive, describe menu options beautifully and helped to make the evening most enjoyable. Our dinners were incredible in terms of preparation and plate presentation. Most of all outstandingly delicious. While I had dinner, I image lunch and brunch would be equally wonderful.Special Features:
- Lamp chopsSCHomeDined on 7/13/2014We ordered lamp chops for two with the crushed peas. A fabulous combination of flavors.Special Features:
- DisappointingBillWDined on 7/13/2014I found Cypress to be disappointing. For the money, it was not great value. Food was good but service was not professional. This restaurant is priced as a superb location but it doesn't live up to the billing. For my next fine dining experience in Charleston, I will try something different.
- Great 40th AnniversaryFred117Dined on 7/13/2014We had a wonderful 40th Anniversary at Cypress. The food was outstanding, the service was terrific and the ambiance was exactly what one would request for such an occasion. Thank you for a memorable evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New favoriteVirginiaDined on 7/12/2014Cypress, recommended to us by friends who live in Charleston, exceeded our expectations in every way. The atmosphere is refreshing, comfortable, contemporary. We found our server, Graham, to be knowledgable, attentive and friendly. And the food.....every bite, of every course, perfectly delicious. What a wonderful evening!Special Features:
- Great Choicebgraham309Dined on 7/11/2014The restaurant was clean the staff attentive the food was excellent. Fresh well prepared food that was not over seasoned.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent food, cool scene, a must!ATTfoodDined on 7/5/2014cool scene, excellent food, great service! we had 5 people in our party and everyone was completely satisfied with their order. The tuna and salmon were amazing. The apps were equally as yummy as our entrees. We ordered three desserts to split and they were all out of this world!!Special Features:
- Great DinnerCharlestonMikeyDined on 7/5/2014Every course was spot on. Our server was fantastic and the food was off the charts. Great timeSpecial Features:
- Birthday Dinner CelebrationcarolinacolonelVIPDined on 7/5/2014Perfect for a Birthday dinner celebration! Very accommodating management. Allowed to change tables to a window table. One of the two or three best places to enjoy cocktails and dinner, in Charleston. Very expensive, but worth it.Special Features:
- Best Night in Years!BirthdayfunDined on 7/5/2014I told my son that he could choose wherever he wanted to eat for his 15th birthday and he chose Cypress. I am so glad that he made that choice. What a wonderful experience. The food was amazing, our waiter was pure joy and perfection, and the experience as a whole, was unbeatable. Thank you to Cypress for giving my son the most amazing birthday ever! We will go back for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of Charleston's BestMLN65VIPDined on 7/5/2014This was our second experience with dining at Cypress. It did not disappoint and in fact raised the bar for other Charleston restaurants. We highly recommend Cypress for any occasion. Having sat in a very large but cozy booth on the second floor, we can say with certainty it's a special place to go for a romantic evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.