187 Monroe Avenue NW
Amway Grand Hotel
Grand Rapids, MI 49503Neighborhood:
Global, InternationalPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.amwaygrand.com/cygnus27.html
- Phone: 6167766425
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Sunday Brunch: 10:30am – 2:00pm (seasonal); Lounge: Tuesday - Thursday: 4:30pm - 12:00am, Friday - Saturday: 4:30pm - 1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Global, International, Eurasian
- Executive Chef: Werner Absinger
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Cygnus27 offers 2 private dining rooms located on the 28th floor, direclty above the restaurant. Seating capacity in Sky1 is 44ppl and for Sky2 22ppl, both rooms can be opened to accommodate larger gatherings- contact Katie Dietrich for booking information, 616-774-2000 ext. 6121 email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Private Party Facilities: Semi-private & private accommodations are available.
- Private Party Contact: Katie Bremer 6167766400
- Special Events: Daily Happy Hour specials, Fresh Sushi Cart and lounge appetizers
A word from Cygnus 27
Cygnus 27 sits high atop the Amway Grand Plaza & boasts an elegant setting with casual fine dining in a sumptuous atmosphere.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Cygnus 27 - Best Restaurants in Grand Rapids ›
Cygnus 27 reviews from OpenTable diners
60 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (56)special occasion (43)romantic (35)fit for foodies (25)notable wine list (21)good for groups (10)great for brunch (9)hot spot (8)late-night find (6)neighborhood gem (6)vibrant bar scene (6)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Nice place- might try againBobcatDined on 9/27/2014Went with a friend during ArtPrize. Didn't know it was Homecoming- several tables of 15 - 20 kids in fancy dress. Slowed down the service quite a bit but was pretty cute. The fish I had was exquisite but the rice was overcooked- no real excuse for that- throw it out and start over… Creme Brûlée was just OK.Special Features:
- Amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/26/2014The whole staff made my partner and I feel so welcome. We had incredible service and the food was great. The view cannot be beat.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/14/2014We LOVE going to brunch at Cygnus- always our 1st pick for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Best brunch in GRfoodforthoughtDined on 9/14/2014fresh sushi station!!! complimentary champagne!!! best local brunch ever!Special Features:
- loved our dinner, all aspectsdayleDined on 9/11/2014Tom was our server and was FANTASTIC I would give the food a 5, but my husband trout was dry. One of us found a piece of plastic in .the gelato...Tom handled this with professionalism and we would not hesitate to return .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would not recommend for dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/4/2014Dining room was empty almost the entire time we were there, except some loud cocktailers who thankfully left soon after we arrived. Menu was lackluster at best. I ordered lobster bisque. It lacked flavor. The lobster cakes, however, were fabulous. We ordered the shrimp and scallops over black pasta/veggies. The seafood was acceptable- the rest of the dish was just awful. We told our server how bad it was but she was too busy talking about herself to take the complaint seriously. For an empty dining room, our server was MIA for extended periods of time. We went to celebrate our anniversary and were rather sorry we didn't pick someplace better. We may be back for brunch, which is usually good, but we will not attempt to return for dinner.Special Features:
- Dinner was wonderfuljtm721Dined on 8/29/2014I had the best steak I have ever had. The saff was professional and helpful. It was expensive but worth it.Special Features:
- Serious CygnusSteakMan01Dined on 8/28/2014Went to the top of GR for my 28th Anniversary and my wife's 50th birthday. We had a good meal , not outstaning, service was exceptional and view was magnificient. Presented gift and had a nice time. Would recommend for special occasion.Special Features:
- DinnneroutDined on 8/21/2014Carmen was an EXCELLENT server!! Suggestive and informative! We WILL be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Out of Date, tiny portions and $$$mlh13Dined on 8/21/2014Out of date decor and place settings etc, but gorgeous open-window 360 view of Grand Rapids. Very expensive for the ridiculously tiny portions you get. Nice wine and bar service but very disappointed, compared to what I'd experienced 5 years ago.Special Features:
- Modern luxury experiencefrazieraDined on 8/20/2014Cygnus 27 creates the feel of an upscale restaurant, without sky-high prices. The view of Grand Rapids is superb, and it is great for meeting a friend for drinks or a special romantic occasion. It has a much more modern and youthful feel than the other restaurants in the Amway Grand Plaza. Their martinis are fantastic, as is their bartender!Special Features:
- Restaurant WeekRebeccaHDined on 8/16/2014We visited Cygnus during restaurant week, which made us expect it would be very busy. We were pleasantly surprised to find the dining room was only about half full, most of which appeared to be hotel guests. We were seated at a window table with a beautiful view of the city, however, our two-top was continually distracted by an incredible noise level generated from a large table of hotel guests seated behind us. The service we received was perfect and the food was very good. If debating between eating at the corporate restaurant on the first floor of the hotel, or Cygnus on the 27th, I would recommend taking the elevator for a ride up. That's my "foodie" opinion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant weekMattBDined on 8/16/2014We stopped in for a romantic dinner beforw I had to work. The view is amazing! We started with the hummus. Delicious! Our server was attentive and kept us happy. We did the three course menu and were happy with all of our choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding all around!HaarsmaslovefoodDined on 8/15/2014My husband and I came to Cygnus 27 for his birthday, which also happened to be his first visit. He was wowed from the moment he stepped inside. The manager (on the night of 8/15/14) greeted us so kindly, and we felt well taken care of the entire time. We could hardly leave we enjoyed the experience so much!Special Features:
- FoodisloveDined on 8/15/2014Enjoyed it very much and Ian is an exceptional server!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Find in Grand RapidsDisappointed1VIPDined on 8/15/2014This was our first visit to Grand Rapids and we were very pleasantly surprised, Cygnus 27 was in our hotel so my wife and I took my bother and sister and two others to dinner there. Our reservation was for four but they readily accommodated the two others. We were given a corner table by the window and the view was excellent. The food choices were very good and we happened to be there during restaurant week so all of us made selections from their special menu. No one was the least bit disappointed. Our server was competent but, like many today, she wanted to offer us her choices for her favorite dishes. My wife and I prefer to select according to our own tastes, not that of someone 40+ years our junior.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what I expected.BrittlyDined on 8/15/2014Nice view of Grand Rapids while dining, and our server was very good. Beyond that, nothing remarkable. No real style or flare in the look and feel of the restaurant, or in the dining experience as a whole. Food in general was banquet quality. Carrot bisque was the highlight of the meal. Would not choose to visit again.Special Features:
- Great Meal and ViewKenMDined on 8/13/2014This place has a spectacular view of downtown GR, the river, and off into the distance. The food was fantastic, the drinks were excellent, and our server was very polite and knowledgeable.Special Features:
- Anniversary DinnerReviewDined on 8/12/2014This restaurant was outstanding and we will be back, if you can ask for Ian. He is professional, knowledgeable and an overall fantastic server. Our meal could not have gone better and we will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go for a drink and the view.BrendaDined on 8/2/2014View was fantastic. First time here and we brought two out of town guests. Service was excellent. Food, however was horrible. Mostly overcooked and dried out. It's not that tough to get food to the table that is not over cooked. Very disappointing and embarrassing. Would not even think about going back. Sometimes I just want to go into the kitchen and drag the chef out to the table, and tell him, "here, you eat this stuff." It's hard to believe they don't know what they're sending out to their customers to eat.Special Features:
- One time deal.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/1/2014The Pork Chop was a very good dish, flavorful and paired with other unique flavored sides (for those that don't want anything too exotic). :) The lamb was not so great, there was not really any flavor on the meat and it was sitting on a poured liquid that just seemed like a glorified A1 sauce. Our reservation was for 7:45pm on a Friday and we requested a window seat. Although the restaurant was still half empty (and we were there to celebrate a special occasion) we were told they could not accommodate the request. However, they did allow us to move to a table by the window once one became available. Overall it seemed overpriced for the decor and food but it is one of the better city views. Go once just so you can say you did. ;)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Progress isn't always progress.CambridgeCitoyenVIPDined on 7/25/2014In some ways, the changes in Cygnus since its original conception exemplify and parallel the changes in the Grand Plaza itself—the hotel of which this restaurant was conceived as, in every sense of the word, the pinnacle. In those early days, the Amway Grand was unafraid to be informed by local traditions, history, and tastes; it was also willing to depart from the standard-issue corporate hotel formula. No more. With the covering over of the amazing skylights through which one could glimpse the constellation for which it was named, one wonders why the name was kept at all. Dinner was fine, but the price was higher than comparable quality in Boston or New York. There were, sadly, no local options (not even fish?) on the menu.Special Features:
- Beautiful view of the city & riverBillTVIPDined on 7/5/2014Cygnus has the bet view of the Grand River and the West side of Grand Rapids in the city. Great, friendly and professional service that is both attentive but never intrusive. Excellent location for a great meal and experience any day of the week and a beautiful place for a date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/4/2014Terrible food and 160 dollars later. Very expensive and definitely not worth it. The ambience and view is beautiful but the food was awful.Special Features:
- Great EveningJIPODined on 6/24/2014An all around great experience. The food, service, and ambience were perfect.Special Features:
- The following 591 reviews are from the Cygnus 27 reviews archive.
- Lovely view, good service, loud barMichigangal19Dined on 6/20/2014We enjoyed our evening at Cygnus. We haven't been there for several years, and it was fun to go back . Good (not great) service; food was imaginative and tasty. The loud (really loud) scene at the bar for a good part of the evening made conversation difficult, though. Not what I expected at Cygnus.Special Features:
- Great food & excellent serviceAbrilDined on 6/20/2014Our party ordered many different items and everthing was delicious. The staff was professional, friendly and knowledgable about their menu. I would eat there again. I also appreciate the gluten free items. They are clearly marked.Special Features:
- anniversaryanniversaryDined on 6/19/2014The entire experience was fabulous for our wedding anniversary. We do Cygnus every year. Great service. Great food. Great view. Great wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful FoodRobandMichelleDined on 5/28/2014This restaurant is truly International Dining at it's best. Food was fabulous. Steaks and seafood were to die for together with the deserts. Would go back there tomorrow and try all different items. The views from the 27th floor are breathtaking. Get a window seat. Staff were very attentive but not overbearing. There when you needed them. Give it a try, you won't be sorry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable experience!xmandivilDined on 5/27/2014I went there for my 3 year wedding anniversary. The restaurant is beautiful, service was friendly and we loved the food. However, there was a little incident. One of the main dishes had a hair in it :( The restaurant manager went to apologize at our table, replaced the dish, removed one of our drinks from the bill and added a small dessert to our order at no cost. I work at a restaurant and understand these kind of things happen even at a 5 star restaurant. I didn't want to be a horrible guest and accepted the apology from management because I was happy how the restaurant handled the situation and would definitively come back and recommend it to anyone for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Incredible Dining ExperiencegetinmybellyDined on 5/24/2014From the complimentary valet parking, to the exceptional service, to the incredible food, Cygnus 27 offers a memorable dining experience! The staff was beyond professional. The view is tough to top. The food was stunning both visually and by taste.Special Features:
- Wonderful place for a special nightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/23/2014We dined at Cygnus 27 for our 20th anniversary. Everything met or exceeed our expectations. The food was delicious andc the service was perfect. The view was lovely and the noise level was reasonable. Thank you for a lovely night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great views and great service!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 5/21/2014This was a great venue for a group of colleagues to meet for dinner and drinks for a work celebration. The service was outstanding the views of Grand Rapids were beautiful. This is would be a great place for a special occasion or a drink at the bar to see the views.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great View better foodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/2/2014The view from the 27th floor is the best in all of Grand Rapids. You should come for the view but the food brings the quality from great to awesome. For a relaxing fie dining experience or just drinks in the bar Cygnus comes through every time. Over the past year The menu is creative and offers unique foods prepared to perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Atop the starstravelboyDined on 4/26/2014Great option for dinner watching the sky change from amber hues at sunset to twinkling lights of the city. Noise level can be high on weekend nights due to the lounge area directly next to the dining area. This can rather intrusive to a quiet, romantic dinner. We were disappointed with being told they had no octopus for that night, despite this being a signature dish with rave reviews. Overall, good with food quality and service. Complementary valet is very helpful.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/25/2014Service was great, food was great. The only downside was the mojito we ordered, it was very watered down, the worst one I've ever had in a restaurant. This was a small negative in an overall wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic birthday dinnerFlowerlady62Dined on 4/23/2014Lovely view, attentive wait staff, lots of ambiance. The entrees were delicious and the presentation of the chocolate dessert was amazing! Highly recommend the restaurant as well as the Amway where we also had a beautiful view from a tower room. I can't think of a thing that could have added to a wonderful and memorable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful Easter BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/20/2014My family and I went to Easter Brunch at Cygnus 27 because my daughter is a student at GVSU. Although the the brunch is a little on the pricey side, I found that it was worth the extra money. The food, service and view were outstanding and we would go back.Special Features:
- Spectacular viewMandADined on 4/18/2014Cygnus27 accommodated our gluten and dairy free needs well, and was convenient as we were staying at the hotel. The value is more in the experience than the food - the view is just breathtaking. We would probably not dine here again, but we thoroughly enjoyed our evening.Special Features:
- Absolutely spectacular foodgrendelVIPDined on 4/11/2014We had read great things about Cyngus 27 through Open Table. And we were not disappointed. The menu had an Asian flair with Asian slaw and wonderful lettuce leaves to be curled around chicken. Also sushi! The presentation of the appetizers was outstanding. Our server, Katie?? was wonderful and helpful without hovering. My husband's scallops were wonderful as was my chicken. I feel like I am exaggerating with all my adjectives, but really I am not. The restaurant is on the 27th floor of the Amway Grand Hotel--so the view was magnificent--another adjective! We have dined at several Open Table first-class restaurants in Grand Rapids, and Cyngus 27 is our favorite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.