331 Richland Ave.
Athens, OH 45701Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.dinecutlers.com/
- Phone: (740) 593-6661
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 6:30am - 11:00am, Saturday & Sunday: 7:00am - 11:00am; Sunday Brunch: 10:00am - 2:00pm; Lunch: Everyday: 11:00am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Jonathan Lange
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private dining facilities are available. We require advanced notice and a nominal room rental fee to set your room to your preference.
- Private Party Contact: Erin Jeffers 740-589-3703
- Entertainment: Local favorite Richard Syracuse performs Wednesday and Friday nights from 6:30 to 8:30. A rotation of local artists perform on Saturday nights from 6:30 to 8:30
A word from Cutler's
We offer guests and area residents two great places to dine! For the ultimate in Athens fine dining, Cutler’s Restaurant is the city’s most popular eatery offering a menu focused on simple dishes prepared with the finest local ingredients. Cutler’s has garnered a long-standing reputation for the greatest steaks and freshest seafood in town! For something on the lighter side, Bunch of Grapes Tavern is a classic tavern offering lighter fare, cocktails, wine, beer, and more.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Cutler's - Best Restaurants in Athens ›
Cutler's reviews from OpenTable diners
12 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (10)fit for foodies (7)neighborhood gem (6)romantic (5)notable wine list (5)good for groups (4)great for outdoor dining (3)late-night find (3)great for lunch (3)great for brunch (2)scenic view (2)vibrant bar scene (2)hot spot (2)Show More
- Best food in Athens.ValueEaterDined on 11/18/2014Second visit. Staff is extremely helpful. Steaks are outstanding and temperature is perfect. Lobster bisque was on the salty side. Walleye was fresh and seasoned just enough to allow the true flavor of the fish. Easier to reserve early in the evening. Difficult to reseve late and most weekends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-show dining at CutlersNorthern2WoodsmanDined on 10/20/2014The food and service were outstanding. I had a saute of asparagus and shrimp. This entree was supposed to have included scallops but the waitress said that they had run out as a result of heavy weekend business. My dining partner had a NY strip steak which was properly cooked to medium rare. It was a Monday and the room was quiet with maybe 8 other diners.Special Features:
- CutlersBobcatDined on 8/17/2014We will not be dining at cutlers again. We paid $10 for an omelette that was too small and not great. We left still hungry. Overpriced in my opinion. Food not good for the price.
- The following 87 reviews are from the Cutler's reviews archive.
- Good experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/29/2014Anniversary dinner. Great food, and enjoyed the outdoor seating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuzyDined on 7/25/2014We always have a good time when we go to Cutlers The staff take good care of our group and give us excellant service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Steak in AthensRhawkDined on 6/9/2014Had the New York Strip. Bread selection was good. I normally don't like fancy salad dressings, but I enjoyed the chop salad. Mac'N'Cheese was good, but nothing special. Backed Potato was a little dry. The steak was a the best I've had in Athens and probably some of the best I've had anywhere. The turtle cheesecake and brownie sundae were both very good.
- Nothing specialfasteddieDined on 4/16/2014It was a good restaurant experience. No complaints... Nothing outstanding...
- Good but rushedLuv2eatDined on 3/8/2014We have had dinner here several times. We love the food and environment. Our server is usually good. This past visit our server was off. He almost forgot to take my child's dinner order. He took everyone else's order fine. Then for dessert he took everyone else's order and didn't even ask my child what she wanted. I had to order her dessert from the manager. The server seemed rushed and was always in a hurry. However, in his frenzy, he didn't clear dirty plates. We still plan on coming back! We just hope not to have the same server.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 4 1/2 stars4goodFoodDined on 2/28/2014The filet was perfectly cooked & very tender. The salads at the beginning were subpar. Bread good, everything else good. The water brought was warm thou yuck! The calamari was excellent but they only give a small amount of the good kind of sauce.. the other is like a chili sauce. Overall very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and ambiance!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/16/2014If you're looking for a great meal out, this is the place! Some of the best presentations of steaks that you'll find anywhere in central Ohio (including all of Columbus). Our steaks were cooked perfectly "to order". Worth a trip whether you're visiting Ohio University, or just wish to have a lovely evening away from home! Bon Appetit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerGeorgeDined on 2/14/2014Curlers was a very romantic dining experience that was perfect for valentines day. Service was attentive, food was amazing and it was a quiet little place to enjoy our meal. I will be back for more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Christmas BrunchhungrygirlDined on 12/25/2013My brother and I dined at Cutler's for Christmas Day brunch. The buffet had a wide variety of food, which is good because I am gluten free. The food was delicious, warm and plentiful. Our server was quite attentive. We thoroughly enjoyed the talented pianist playing Christmas carols in the corner. My brother and I have decided to make Cutler's a yearly Christmas tradition.Special Features:
- Happy Birthday to Me!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/23/2013My husband surprised me with a very nice birthday dinner Saturday night. It was delightful and we were very happy with everything. We have been there 5 or 6 times and always enjoyed it. We live 50 miles from there. Wish we lived closer so we could enjoy Cutler's more often. Delicious food and a romantic atmosphere. Excellent service.Special Features:
- Just what we needed...jb1109Dined on 11/23/2013We wanted something nice but not too impossible on price in an area where finding something like this is limited. We had delightful service and reasonable attention during our stay. Will revisit when the occasion arises.Special Features:
- Great SteakOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/8/2013Special Steak Place to take the college kids when the folks are in town. Loved the steak and wine and the ambience.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sub par at bestOuparentvisitorDined on 11/3/2013We stayed at the hotel overnight and had been told that the restaurant has good food and was great for brunch. What a disappointment! Baked goods were cold, eggs watery, fruit offering consisted of cantaloupe and honeydew and old apples ... The only good thing I can mention is that the coffee was pretty good. There aren't really any good eateries in Athens that anyone older than a college kid can appreciate, but if you are looking for a place to treat your OU student to a nice meal, this is not the place either.
- Poor service and bad foodPattyDined on 11/2/2013We had reservations and that part of the restaurant was fine, even though they seemed to be very busy. When we got seated our service was not around much. He took our order and we did not get our soup order for a very long. He did not come over for a long to explain that the soups were taking longer tonight. And then, only then, could we ask for bread. We watched tables seated after us get even their food before we had soup and bread. Once we got our steaks, they were undercooked. We did not complain because we were there so long we just wanted to leave. We will not go to this restaurant again.
- Not as good as usualOUParentDined on 10/20/2013Our experience at Cutler's was much better at a prior visit (which is why we still recommend it). First off, when we made the reservation, we didn't know they served only buffet-style (pricey!) on Sundays. Second, only a 1:30 reservation time was available online, yet while we were en route to OU early that morning, they called to tell us they stop serving at 1:30. They didn't notice this until three hours before arrival? We changed plans and arrived 45 minutes early, but even then some of the food was dry and chewy. Our server never explained brunch pricing (breakfast/brunch, different cost) but we overheard it from another server. Think this was an atypical day, so we'll try again. We won't make online reservations again, though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A huge disappointmentKenwoodVIPDined on 10/12/2013Clearly, the servers were overwhelmed. While we should have learned at breakfast, when it took 20 minutes to get an order of scrambled eggs, ( should have done the breakfast bar), we tried for dinner at the hotel, too, since we had heard the food was really pretty good.. At dinner, it took 15 minutes just for our glasses of water, then 40 minutes after we ordered for "standard fare" chicken dishes.Special Features:
- Main dish was delicious! TheOUparent1Dined on 10/10/2013Main dish was delicious! The sides were somewhat disappointing. ( Not as tasteful) Great dining would come again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Strange Dining ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/21/2013LOVED the restaurant, it has a classic hotel restaurant feel. Service was a bit off, not sure what was going on there. Got vibe that maybe server had too many tables or tables spread out too much around the restaurant. For a steak house, it was disappointing to get steaks that weren't cooked to order and had to be sent back. Salads were great, vegetables were great, bread/oil was great. I had notated on my reservation that we had a special occasion yet nothing was done to celebrate his special day. It would have been too awkward to mention at the time. I would give Cutler's a second chance but I wouldn't go for the steaks.Special Features:
- Wonderful OptionDebbieDined on 9/18/2013This is a wonderful option for people coming in from out of town, who want to have an elegant dining experience, and want the option of being able to make reservations. I come in from Cleveland, I don't want to wait around in a line somewhere up town; I want to know I have reservations, and I am willing to pay a little more for that too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Little DisappointedPacpalmomDined on 8/22/2013For the past 2 years, Cutler's has been our "go to" restaurant for our last night dinner for our son when we are with him at school. The food was always great, the portions good sized...just a really nice way to end our stay with our son and make sure he gets a great meal before he has to rely on local Athens college student fare. This last visit was disappointing. 2 entries were not available, 2 desserts not available, out of sparkling water and out of cocktail onions for my husbands martini. The chicken dish was tasty, but 1/2 the size it used to be and my son ordered the giant shrimp on pasta and there were 4 little shrimp in this huge bowl of pasta...actually quite funny looking, we got a laugh.
- Brunch at cutlers!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/29/2013Staff was very helpful and polite. Brunch buffet was as good as homemade.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Graduation DinnerMomsDined on 5/5/2013Special was not enough to each for my son Eggplant was very greasy deep fried and over cooked(very brown) Out of stock of my favorite wine Many entrees you have to pay extra for vegetable, and salad Out of the vegetable I ordered tried to substitute green beans and carrots (I refused) Next time I am in Athens, I will try another restaurant.
- Went to Cutler's for Mom'sBlondie61Dined on 4/6/2013Went to Cutler's for Mom's weekend with my daughter and we all enjoyed our meal very much. Cutler's helped to make it a special occasion. She also went to Cutler's for Dad's weekend and requested to go back for Mom's weekend.Special Features:
- Good food in a pleasant environmentOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/23/2013Good food in a pleasant environment. Appeared to be a little "under-staffed."Special Features:
- Went on a quiet mid-week night.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/21/2013Went on a quiet mid-week night. Food was fantastic, wait staff were awesome. Very nice intimate setting. Will definitely visit again.Special Features:
- We had reservations for 6:30OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/16/2013We had reservations for 6:30 pm and they were already out of their prime rib special and the house beer. Weve eaten here before and had a food experiece so this was disappointing.
- STEAK!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/15/2013My steak was fantastic! My date and I went a little early and it payed off we had the best service with no waiting!Special Features:
- My husband and I love thisOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013My husband and I love this place. We are always surprised they aren't packed out. It seems to be a well kept secret. The food is always superb and the service is outstanding.Special Features:
- I was disappointed with theOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/9/2013I was disappointed with the lack of attention for such high prices. I thought steaks were great but look lost on the plate. We always had to ask for refills of water. It took forever for salads, etc. For $30+ dinners it should warrant better service.
- Everytime we drop off outOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/12/2013Everytime we drop off out son at OU we have dinner at Cutler's. This time as always, the service was impeccable and the meals wonderful. Emily our server was terrific. This time my son and husband had the prime rib,I stuck to the filet that just melts in your mouth. While the restaurant has a slightly formal look, since it is affiated with a university, all forms of dress seem to be welcomed.Special Features:
- Husband liked his Beef WellingtonOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/24/2012Husband liked his Beef Wellington very much. Wife thought her pork tenderloins were dry--not the meat itself, but just sitting there on the plate--no juices, etc. When waitress asked, I told her and she gave us a complimentary dessert, a trio of chocolates. We had to ask about one which was nothing more than a hard-to-drink pot of cocoa with whipped cream on top. She couldn't explain why it was part of the trio, either. I'd say ditch that--maybe make a little pot-de-creme, instead. We were told up front that there was no more creme brulee for dessert, which was a featured item. How could they be out of a featured item when it was only 6:30 in the evening? Interestingly, as we were leaving we saw the creme brulee served.
- Our party of three enjoyedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/22/2012Our party of three enjoyed our relaxed, unhurried dinner very much. Richard's music was lovely and not intrusive to our conversation. It would have been nice to have had linen tablecloths in the main dining room and a small vase of flowers on the tables or a candle since this was a holiday meal. I am always delightfully pleased at the courtesy of your staff members and feel most welcome. Thank you for making our holiday memorable and it was "our pleasure!"Special Features:
- One of the top three restaurantsToddwritesDined on 10/5/2012One of the top three restaurants in Athens--consistently excellent.Special Features:
- A light in a culinary darknessOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/22/2012In a university city with a plethora of bars and forgettable cuisine Cutler's stands out as one of perhaps 3 recommendable establishments in the area. Three of us dined 9/22/12. The house salad with apple cider dressing was very good. Each entree (pasta dish w spinach & peppers, seared scallops, and tilapia)was well presented and accompanied and, more importantly, not overcooked. Service was prompt and polite. Desserts looked appetizing but were not indulged.Special Features:
- Very good food everyone hadOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/21/2012Very good food everyone had a seafood dish which was fresh and prepared excellent. Only drawback was time it took to get the food. Would go back just hope for better service.
- Cutler's intimate, yet friendlyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/21/2012Cutler's intimate, yet friendly atmosphere adds to the enjoyment of the dining experience. The food is very good and the service is outstanding.Special Features:
- Food was good but serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 8/24/2012Food was good but service was extremely slow. The restaurant was not busy, I can't imagine what it would be like if they were busy.