5120 Salter Street
Halifax, NS B3J 0A1Neighborhood:
SteakPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.cutsteakhouse.ca/
- Phone: 9024295120
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner, nightly from 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Global, International, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Tahir Salamat
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: CUT is owned by RCR Hospitality Group, Halifax's leader in off-premise catering, offering the same high level of dining off-site as at the restaurant.
- Private Party Facilities: Private dining area with seating for up to 30.
- Private Party Contact: Shannon Bruhm 9024916110
- Special Events: Follow us on facebook to keep in the loop of all of the special events taking place at CUT Steakhouse!
A word from Cut Steakhouse
CUT Steakhouse offers a relaxed fine dining experience sure to please the most sophisticated of diners. Our menu's main attraction is the dry aged USDA prime beef, aged and butchered in-house by our own exacting specifications. Start your evening with a glass of award-winning wine or perhaps a popular Steak Ale. From our menu, savour a dry-aged New York Striploin, delicious Porterhouse, Kobe rib-eye or local filet mignon, all cooked to your specifications. Finish off with an amazing sampling of fine cheeses, a specialty liqueur and a decadent dessert. Downstairs, The Grill at CUT features a fun and funky atmosphere, perfectly paired with a gourmet burger menu with your choice of sophisticated toppings and sides. Take a seat in the large, comfortable bar area overlooking the open kitchen or outside on our beautiful patio overlooking the Halifax waterfront.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Cut Steakhouse - Best Restaurants in Halifax ›
Cut Steakhouse reviews from OpenTable diners
50 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (41)romantic (29)notable wine list (25)fit for foodies (15)scenic view (10)good for groups (9)hot spot (7)great for outdoor dining (5)vibrant bar scene (4)neighborhood gem (4)late-night find (2)great for brunch (1)kid-friendly (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Get the timing right.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/30/2014While Cut prepared an excellent meal, the restaurant suffers from bad timing. On our recent visit, we were seated 15 minutes later than our reservation time (8:30 p.m.). We then waited 15 minutes to be offered a drink, then another 30 minutes to place our order. Our our order was taken only after requesting that we might order. Following placing our order, the food came in rapid succession (spite?) not allowing us a dignified amount of time to digest each course. Given the calibre of the food, the service needs to match.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/21/2014It was my first time there and I must say the food was great and the wait staff were knowledgable, professional and friendly. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Our go-to special occasion spotLithiumLadDined on 8/21/2014Cut is the place to go if you want the best steak in town. Dry aged beef, sourced both locally and from abroad. My wife ordered the local grass-fed striploin while I had the USDA corn-fed ribeye. The difference in taste profiles between the two was surprising, with the local beef having a much richer, "beefier" taste. Both steaks were prepared precisely as requested and the sides were a great complement. Cut also has an extensive wine list with price points for all budgets and occasions. The dessert menu was short but refined. The personal banana bread loaves the hostess gave us on our way out of the restaurant was a delicious next-day reminder of how much we enjoyed our night out at Cut Steakhouse. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great_eats!DininginHalifaxDined on 8/18/2014Returned again, and this place never fails to impress. The service and the food was outstanding. Really made us feel like we were part of their family.Special Features:
- ExcellentPeterCDined on 8/16/2014We dined at Cut on Saturday night. The service, food and ambience were outstanding. The beef was cooked to perfection and the sides offered a very tasty variety to complete the meal. My wife raved about her Caesar, which is their own special mix. Overall an excellent dining experience. We will return for sure.Special Features:
- What a TreatromantichalifaxDined on 8/7/2014This place is wonderful! Excellent food and the wait staff is fantastic. Would definitely come again. Try the carrot cake!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our ExperienceCCFoodiesDined on 8/5/2014My wife and I very much enjoyed our experience at the Cut Steakhouse. By far the best steak we have eaten and not to mention the warm and welcoming service. It most definitely was a fantastic way to spend our Anniversary!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ah-mazing!! Have the Ceasar Salad.labrat51Dined on 8/3/2014Went to Cut to celebrate our daughter's engagement - party of 5. Seated right away even though we arrived a bit before our reservation time; the steak choices were explained well and in a pleasant manner. Everyone of us said our steak was the best we had ever tasted...then we shared and each one was better/different but NONE were a disappointment in any way!! The Ceasar Salad is a MUST!!! The garlic mashed were light, buttery and not too heavy. Even the kale was a great side dish. AND - the BEST creme brulee I've ever tasted!!! Creamy and smooth, lightly vanilla, sugar crisped to perfection. Price was even great - we don't mind paying a bit more for the service and quality, but this was a better deal than any restaurant in Toronto!Special Features:
- Romantic eveningpmcormierDined on 8/2/2014We where lucky enough to one of the two tables out on the terrace and the other one stayed unoccupied so we had a wonderful private supper outside. The food was excellent so was the service. The ceasar salad was the best we have ever had. Made fresh right in front of you. The salmon melts in your mouth and the steak was very tasty and tender. Loved that you order every part of your main course separately, meat, veggies, starch. Great idea!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Steak but priceysupperfor2Dined on 8/1/2014Cut Steakhouse was very good food. Great service but it will cost you. For 2 people we had 2 salads, 4 large shrimp apps each, 2 6 oz and we shared lobster risotto and asparagus and it costed $200.00 without the wine.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/31/2014Best restaurant in halifax. Consistent service. Amazing food. All rcr restaurants are amazing; but, this one's the best for high end dining - best of the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodLoversDined on 7/25/2014Good food and Great Service...wonderful place with great atmosphere.Special Features:
- LaciemomDined on 7/18/2014First time at Cut. Food was wonderful, very good choices and great services. Restaraunt did not have a great atmousphere. Brightly lit for not very romantic. Also, lots of noise from staff in bar area. Also, there was a lot of noise form the mixing of the drinks as well. Even though food was very good, atmosphere was not. Would probably not go again.Special Features:
- The Cut really is a "Cut Above"JoyfulannDined on 7/17/2014From the moment you walk up the stairs and view the dining room, to the wonderful hostess who seats you, to the amazing wait-staff you know you are dining in a quality establishment. Our main waiter, Steve, was exceptional and I can't imagine better service. The food is so tasty, artfully presented and it transports you from the everyday experience. The wines & the knowledge of them is the perfect complement. I would highly recommend The Cut and it has become our must-do when we really want to have a special night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Cut AboveflunkiejunkieDined on 6/30/2014We came to Cut for our anniversary (and the staff were unaware) and it was amazing. The service was spot on - just enough attention and knowledge from our server to ensure we understood the offerings, but not too over the top. We both ordered local cuts of steak, and were not disappointed by the flavour or the results. The sides were also done perfectly, and overall, the food quality was well worth it. I have spent almost as much at a crappy chain restaurant for a steak, and will say that an evening at Cut is well worth it. I thoroughly enjoyed our first experience and will be back!Special Features:
- Dining a Cut Above in HalifaxAcutaboveDined on 6/24/2014Service was friendly, the atmosphere/ambiance was subdued and enjoyable, allowing a private dining experience even though there were muptiple groups dining that evening. The food was excellent and portions were appropriate to the price and appetite. Wonderful evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent mealOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/20/2014The steak tartare was among the best I've had. The service was efficient and very friendly. I wish we'd ordered Caesar salad to watch it prepared table side. The various carts, including meat on display, made for a great show.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedNbflatlanderDined on 6/19/2014This was my third visit to Cut Steak house. The service as always was excellent, staff is very knowledgable and friendly and did a great job of pairing wine with our meal. The food was just ok. The lobster risotto was bland, steak was good correctly. Left feeling like I could have prepared a better meal at home.Special Features:
- Amazing foodFood13Dined on 6/14/2014Best steak I've ever had!!! Best Caesar salad ever!!! My husband and I will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- what a meal!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/14/2014Hands Down the best meal I have ever consumed!!! If I were offer any areas to improve, the atmosphere is some what noisy & it would be nice to have warmed bread but who cares when the rest of the experience was that good.Special Features:
- BIGGEST disappointment EVER!byrnereeseDined on 6/11/2014Celebrating a birthday, new marriage engagement, new job & cross-country move, Reservation & flowers delivery equistite & menu presentation thorough! I was SO EXCITED for our local dry aged ribeye & 2 lb lobster entrees. ABSOLUTE WORST entrees we have ever experienced. Paradise Farm ribeye was grissley & chewy, lobster was cooked to rubber texture and was the smallest lobster I've ever seen. I left almost in tears after paying our bill shy of $200. This was to be an extra special celebration & CUT's food quality and perhaps chef expertise was horrible. We will never NEVER go back & unfortunately can't recreate probably one of our most special occasions we will want to hold dear to our hearts! Big Bummer!
- Birthday Celebration SpotFooDeeDined on 6/10/2014We took our son to Cut for the first time on his 16th birthday last year, he loves a good steak so we thought this would be a great place to celebrate such a big milestone birthday. The atmosphere is always so nice at Cut the servers and presentation really make you feel special and our son was so impressed that he wanted to come back again for his 17th birthday! I think this is going to be a birthday tradition. Thank you for making our experience such an enjoyable time we always leave feeling full, appreciated and satisfied. The food is always exceptional and service is top-notch!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- swissitcanDined on 5/31/2014Very efficient staff, friendly atmosphere, admirable location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a lot for a lotfitfoodDined on 5/29/2014Food was good. For a $50 steak to have to buy all your sides is a little crazy. 3 people $350 meal with some wine. Could have been worse. Service was good but a little slow. They were busy
- Great food and great serviceAnnetteVIPDined on 5/25/2014We have been to Halifax several times and walked past the restaurant as we had never heard much about it. What a great find. We were staying at the Marriott Courtyard right downtown Halifax and didn't want to walk in the rain so we decided to try Cut Steakhouse as it was right beside the hotel. We were a little hesitant as when we went in there was a basic restaurant on the main level and a sign pointing upstairs to the Cut restaurant. What a surprise. The food and service were incredible. A lot of nice little touches that you don't see in many restaurants any more....fresh roses, 3 kinds of sea salt, caesar salad made fresh at your table, individual coffee french presses, etc. They were also excellent with allergies.Special Features:
- OkOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/24/2014Food was ok ...not outstanding..... Nice atmosphere . Steak was a little disappointing for the premium price we paid... GSpecial Features:
- expensive but tastyFussyeaterDined on 5/20/2014The food was excellent and the service professional and friendly. Staff were very well versed in the product and were happy to explain in great detail the menu and cuts available.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great SplurgemrsmorseDined on 5/16/2014We rarely eat out, and when we do it's usually a "budget-friendly" place. After receiving a tax refund we chose to take a portion and treat ourselves to a lavish meal. Cut was on the top of our list of places we didn't think we'd ever make it to, so we decided to try it. We were very impressed! I'm not a big steak lover so that part alone wasn't worth the $$ to me, but when I combine it with the rest of the meal (especially the table-side made caesar salad), the ambience, the service, and even the complimentary banana mini-loaf they gave us on the way out, we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and felt the evening was worth the splurge. We were even able to partake in nice conversation because it was very cozy, in a formal way, and not too noisy.Special Features:
- First TimersFirstTimeDined on 5/15/2014My boyfriend and I had never been to Cut before. I would absolutely love to go again. We both had an amazing experience and our food was amazing. Steve was our waiter and he was above and beyond what I would have ever expected. It's definitely something we will do again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 298 reviews are from the Cut Steakhouse reviews archive.
- somers date nightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/25/2014Great service, good food. this was a special treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another sucessBlizzardWizardDined on 4/12/2014This was our 3rd visit to The Cut. The food, ambiance and service was all outstanding which we have come to expect. We invited friends with full confidence they would enjoy it as well.Special Features:
- Great DinnerJoanneDined on 4/11/2014Had exceptional service! Very attentive and gives great advice on wine/which sides to choose. Great place for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Steakhouse like no other!JennDined on 4/10/20145 ++ Star Food 5 ++ Service You won't find another dining experience in Halifax that could match what CUT has to offer. It was the ultimate decadent treat! We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Attentive service, 1st class steakMaryDined on 4/5/2014This is a special restaurant for a special meal. The service is very attentive but not intrusive. The house specialty is aged beef, "the" reason to eat here and why a special occasion is needed to warrant the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-concert dinnerwaterviewDined on 4/5/2014Reservation was earlier than we would normally make due to the concert, so were the first diners to arrive. Strange walking into an empty dining room, but the staff make us feel right at home. Friendly, efficient and professional service throughout by the entire team; they seem to love their jobs and enjoy representing the restaurant. Found the discussion on the dry-aged beef a little lengthy, but perhaps just because I've heard it all before elsewhere. Steak was perfectly done and flavourful. The tomato-based sauce saved the quinoa croquettes (think falafel). The steamed asparagus was a little overdone and didn't need the Hollandaise sauce - a little butter and pepper or herbs would have been fine. Wine list tends to the $$$ side.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best steak ever!!BellaDined on 3/8/2014At one point my boyfriend stopped eating and looks at me with a very serious look on his face and says.. " This is the best steak I have ever had in my life!" I think that sums it up!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a bad spot for my firstOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/5/2014Not a bad spot for my first time. Don't think I would go there again. Not my style of restaurant. Food lacked flavour but the steak was very tender. Never ate a steak like that before.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The steak lacked flavour andOffsideDined on 3/1/2014The steak lacked flavour and what flavour it did have was not to my liking. Highly over rated in my opinion.
- It was niceRedALEDined on 3/1/2014My husband and I always choose a higher end restaurant to celebrate our anniversary and birthdays. This time we chose Cut. The ambiance was nice, service very good and the food tasty. We liked the steak display to give an idea of what we wanted and we loved the made-at-your-table ceasar salad and the cheese display. Although all was good, it unfortunately didn't wow us like some of our favourites: Press Gang, Nectar and Ryan Duffy's (can't beat their steaks). I would recommend checking it out as it was a nice experience but it'll likely be my only one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service and food are bothFoodLoversDined on 2/26/2014Service and food are both excellent. Good meat presentation for those first timers to the CUT explaining the cuts of beef and also mentioning that the sides are large and can be shared. WE have eaten here many times and always have been well looked after. If something is not right they look after tit immediately.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.