1601 Elizabeth Ave
Charlotte, NC 28204Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.customshopfood.com/
- Phone: 7043333396x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary European, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Trey Wilson
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Special Events: New events for Spring 2014 being arranged now! Please check back soon or call with inquiries.
A word from Customshop
Customshop is a modern trattoria with a neighborhood feel located in the heart of Charlotte, NC. Our menu, an eclectic mix of innovative American dishes, is inspired by Italian, French and Spanish cuisines. Interplay between the Old and New World fare is complemented by a unique and well-edited wine list. Employing only the finest quality ingredients, Customshop’s handcrafted dishes are meticulously prepared by owner and Executive Chef Trey Wilson, whose commitment to local farms provides guests only the freshest, sustainable food in the area, including produce from his own garden. Weekly menu changes are tailored to the seasonal availability of products delivered by local fisherman and farmers. Come join us in our intimate, candlelit dining room or our comfortable patio to see why Customshop is ranked one of Charlotte's most discoverable restaurants!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Customshop - Best Restaurants in Charlotte ›
Customshop reviews from OpenTable diners
76 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (64)neighborhood gem (41)romantic (32)special occasion (32)notable wine list (22)great for outdoor dining (8)hot spot (8)good for groups (8)great for brunch (4)vibrant bar scene (3)late-night find (3)great for lunch (2)scenic view (2)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/15/2014Food was excellent, but overpriced and small portions. Also the wine selection is overpriced.
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/14/2014Really great food, cool atmosphere. Would have loved to have the chef's tasting menu but it's limited to only 2 people and the whole table has to participate. We were a party of 3. The honey comb with grilled cheese is to die for.Special Features:
- Amazing Food!kgsgardenDined on 9/12/2014We tried a few selections form each section of the menu. Everything was on point. The food could not have been better, and there is something on the menu for everyone. I only wish they had a little more sound buffer in the room...curtains, additional ceiling tiles, fabric...anything to dampen the sound. It's difficult to hear the server, much less have conversations at your table. The setting is romantic, but it's too noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food @ CustomshoppickyXdinerDined on 9/7/2014I think I put on five pounds because the food was so delicious and I couldn't stop eating. Where have you been all my life pork belly?Special Features:
- Great Meal!LmbbDined on 8/30/2014I've been to customshop several times and the food is always great, however, Saturdays meal was AMAZING. Great service, atmosphere, and food - can't ask for a better night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- perfecttdsdinerDined on 8/30/2014loved the simple yet sophisticated menu. the service was beyond reproach, very knowledgeable and not in your face. would recommend to anyone, great first date or anniversary especially.Special Features:
- One of our faves!gbouknightDined on 8/29/2014Being new to Charlotte, we are enjoying experiencing all the restaurant options. So far, The Customshop is one of our faves! Fresh, always changing menu and great wine list with great service and great atmosphere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very impressedmhutchesonDined on 8/18/2014Wow. this spot was fabulous. Great varied menu. Food prepped perfectly. Service perfect. And certainly not a big spot - have to look for it. Meaning only those looking for an exceptional meal are going to find. A destination.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014Very good staff. The drinks take a while to get to the table, but otherwise it was a great experience.Special Features:
- Great food choicesOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/15/2014We loved the cheese and meat choices for the charcuterie. Also were fans of the pork belly and deckle. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ballantrayDined on 8/8/2014The food was as inventive and well prepared as always. I never could have dreamed up the scrumptiuous small plate little neck claims with pig tail. Custumshop consistently serves the best tasting food in Charlotte.Special Features:
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/1/2014I was impressed by the quality of good and service. This place is fit for foodies and anyone looking to have a nice meal with a good group of friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/27/2014They were out of several items on the menu--I could understand it was Sunday. They has had gotten overflow from Resturant week night before-- Our server was cutting bread & plating it with his hands --along w handling money, computer, etc-- now, I know this happens but I don't want to see this during my dining experience.Special Features:
- Always satisfyingChefGeorgeDined on 7/26/2014One of our favorites. The bread pudding just keeps getting better.Special Features:
- Tasty and creativesunbeltboyDined on 7/19/2014The number of entrees here is quite limited, but they sounded good. However, we sampled little appetizers, half a dozen small plates and desserts. Everything was delicious, with high quality ingredients imaginatively combined and presented. Flash-fried Virginia oysters were an appetizer special, delicately done and outstanding. Scallop crudo and barbecues octopus were also excellent. The brioche bread pudding was large enough for three of us to share, and was lighter and less heavy/soggy than most. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Extremely goodEllainthecityDined on 7/18/2014The food was amazing and the service was perfect! Will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ConcordDocsDined on 7/16/2014They should have been ranked #1 instead of #4 top restaurant in Charlotte. Amazing foodSpecial Features:
- Great placenoneDined on 7/12/2014Loved everything about the restaurant except for the nameSpecial Features:
- Came up short this visitregulardinerVIPDined on 7/12/2014Customshop is usually a hit but came up short with missteps this trip. I noted the special event (birthday) when making the reservation but nothing was mentioned.The reason we chose to go was the best appetizer ever (honeycomb) was back on the menu, but after ordering drinks we were told it was the only menu item they were out of. Too late to leave at that point. I had called earlier in the day to inquire about specials. They were to have a pork special but didn't have it ready by Saturday night. Small things were off also (such as our candle wasn't lit like others which reduces the ambiance which is a strong point for them usually). Desert was awesome though. Just overall an off night. Maybe better next time I hope.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative and funJamesDined on 7/8/2014The menu is creative, bordering on eccentric. They are passionate about food and drink, with interesting and unusual combinations on the menu and a wonderfully thoughtful wine list to pair nicely with the eclectic flavors. The wine list is not extensive, but what they have on their has clearly been selected by the staff (front and back of house) for the menu. I love to see a menu focused wine list, and not just a bunch of high-alc, California fruit bombs with famous labels. A nice bonus to this approach is they do not inflate the prices into the stratosphere, but provide very good juice at affordable prices. Big fan of this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Potentialceekaygee14VIPDined on 7/5/2014We visited Customshop over the 4th of July holiday weekend and while everything we ate was delicious, they were unfortunately out of a number of dishes (5+), including all but one of the items my husband was interested in trying, meaning his dinner consisted of a single small plate.Special Features:
- Tapas on ElizabethTrustFundFoodieVIPDined on 7/5/2014We are new to the Charlotte dining experience. Custom Shop is on trend with a large selection of " petits plats"( tapas). We orders several small plates, the Plaza Midwood mushroom dish was outstanding, octopus tasty, the rest was good. The only dissapointment was the duck. It was supposed to be a crispy duck dish, which it was not. It was bland. I would suggest to stick to the tapas dishes and charcuterie offerings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesomeness on a plate!GreatQDined on 7/1/2014Initially, we were skeptical..the on-line sample menu wasn't very appealing to us. But since we had a gift card, we tried Customshop. WOW, we are happy we tried it. The food was unbelievably delicious and the service was the best (thanks, Patrick). They have a great wine selection of which our server (Patrick) was very knowledgeable and his recommendation was spot on. The olive oil focaccia could ruin your appetite (i.e., it's so good that you're likely to eat too much before dinner). We both ordered the ribeye deckle and were not disappointed...now we crave the dish! We will go back again very soon. Hopefully one of us will try something different (scallops, small plates..) BUT it's going to be hard not to order the ribeye again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding restaurant, but……FoodieFansDined on 6/21/2014Always a big fan of this restaurant. It was the first time for the couple that was joining us. This is the first time we have ever had less than stellar service. The restaurant is outstanding. The food and ambience is usually incredible. Unfortunately the owner was not in this weekend and perhaps that was influencing the level of service. This is very unusual for this restaurant. In addition, we sent a bottle of wine to a special guest that was sitting at a table directly next to us and we never saw the bottle delivered but was charged for it anyway. Customshop and Good Food On Montford are usually our go to restaurants and we will definitely be back. However, we might make sure the owner is there next timeSpecial Features:
- dinnersreadyDined on 6/18/2014Only 3 beers on tap and no bottled beer....really? Steak was fatty and not well done Brussels sprouts were so overcooked! @ least the appetizers were good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just ok this timeOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/15/2014Have been here numerous times, usually everything is great but our last visit fell short. Black squid ink pasta sounded great but crawfish were tiny, overcooked, and bland. They got lost in the heavy tomato sauce. I was told the dish was spicy due to the jalapeño, but I could not find any jalapeño and dish was not spicy at all. Sausage was paper thin and also lost in the sauce. This dish needs work. My husbands smoked steak was underdone and rubbery. The outside of the steak needed a char or something in order to justify how purple and rubbery the inside looked. Did not look appetizing and tasted underwhelming. Finally, bread pudding was burned in places and needed more sauce or melted ice cream to keep it from being too dry. Disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great TapaslilyandivysmomDined on 6/6/2014Were celebrating my husbands bday and ended opting to have a tapas dinner instead of entree's. We enjoyed everything except the mushrooms, love mushrooms but they tasted like not much at all except maybe dirt, sent them back and they were fantastic about it. We sat at one of their very few outdoor tables but it was a beautiful evening and we enjoyed this but never experienced the inside so cannot comment to it or the bar scene. The food was delicious although not exceptional but would still recommend and go back ourselves.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply good foodMyfatishungryDined on 6/5/2014Always an amazing evening. Thanks to all that make it happen with consistency.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always say yes to CustomshopcristinadigiDined on 5/30/2014Customshop is consistently great, i have been here about 5 times now since moving from nyc and it is on par with restaurants from New York. the ambiance, the drinks, the food - all amazing. i will keep coming here again & again. thanks for being awesome Customshop!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistent FavoriteSherylfayDined on 5/30/2014We've been enjoying eating at Customshop for a long time and our recent dinner did not disappoint. Chef/owner Trey Wilson manages to create new and exciting flavor combinations, using many local ingredients, including those from his own home garden. We love to bring out-of-town guests to experience the "big city flair" of this neighborhood gem. Notable dishes last weekend were the crispy duck breast with cipollini onion and a tart cherry reduction as well as the pork chop special (which necessitated a doggie bag for taking home leftovers!).Special Features:
- The following 486 reviews are from the Customshop reviews archive.
- Great date night optionBrunoblakeDined on 5/17/2014We decided to try something new for our anniversary and we were not disappointed! Excellent atmosphere (eclectic but comfortable), great noise level, intimate service and amazing food! The kitchen uses a lot of local produce (always a good thing!) and is exceptionally creative with the menu. Among our favorites was the burata and beet salad, the ricotta gnocchi, and the black linguine with mint, jalapeno and crawfish. Definitely will be back!Special Features:
- Good food but...JjthebutcherVIPDined on 5/16/2014We waited 15 mins for the server to come take our drink order. Once I went up to the hostess, we were taken care of ASAP. But still frustrating. Very good pork though!!Special Features:
- Great Tasty Food and Great ServicetastyfoodDined on 5/16/2014Food choices change, quality remains good and very tasty. bread Pudding is some of the best in TownSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's Day experience 1st visitmytastebudsplaynogamesDined on 5/11/2014It was good overall. Didn't really surprise nor impress me or make my taste buds dance. The portions were small which is never a problem...,when the food is up to its price standard. I don't believe that was the case. The dish my mom had ordered was great as well as their fish dish but I can't provide any other positive comments yet we had a table of four! And appetizers! And dessert! I feel that the bread and its presentation was shabby, on a white plate and a bit too much much salt for a bread that soft. The main meal could've been served hotter. I mean its a small restaurant on a corner with big prices and having said that, the food needs to make up for what people would drift away from while looking for a location to dine.Special Features:
- Awesome experience!LeahRDVIPDined on 5/9/2014Second time dining here and it did not disappoint. Great creative menu. Black linguini was amazing. The tuna was great and cooked to perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun restruant with interesting foodldreatsDined on 5/9/2014We enjoyed the food and atmosphere. Great list of small plates, interesting main courses. Very good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very unwelcomingFoodieVIPDined on 4/29/2014My friend I go out to dinner once a week. It was a Tues night and we had a 9p reservation. Upon arrival, our server said they were closing early since they were not busy. He said we would need to order quickly since the kitchen was closing. Needless to say, this put a damper on our experience. All the food we ordered was brought out basically at once. I will probably not return. For the level of restaurant Custom Shop is, this is poor and we were very disappointed. In hindsight, we should have left and gone somewhere else.
- What a menu!EatingwellinCharlotteDined on 4/29/2014The small plates are exquisite...clams in oxtail ragu, BBQ octopus with lemon jam and pepper aioli. The entrée menu is small enough to be fresh, yet offers enough to please. The crispy duck was cooked with lardons and a tart cherry sauce. Also outrageous was the black linguini with chorizo, crawfish, mint and jalapenos. The perfect amount of bite. Lovely interior, excellent service, and some interesting bourbons. It was money well spent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Balance....OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/26/2014My wife and I celebrated our anniversary at Customshop. I had asked to do a chef's tasting menu to highlight the restaurant's capabilities. We received a 5 course meal that was simply amazing. Each course paired with a recommended wine. Excellent all around. Our waiter explained that the intention of the evening was to present a meal that balanced the palate. Customshop delivered. I would highly recommend the restaurant. Excellent all around!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gem...ElbeeDined on 4/19/2014We were early, so my rating on the noise level (quiet) may be premature. The menu here is unique, reminiscent of some of the finer places we dined while traveling around the country. I had the duck breast, cooked toward the medium rare side of medium, and it was excellent. My side of Brussels sprout leaves with some pork belly and a sauce was excellent as well, and not quite like anything I'd had before. My wife had the scallops and they were tender, cooked perfectly, with a side that you'll need to consult the menu to determine. (I remember it had fava beans.) If you're a meat and potatoes guy, this may not be for you. If you love fine dining, a nice wine selection, and trying new things, put Customshop on your must do list.Special Features: