1601 Elizabeth Ave
Charlotte, NC 28204Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.customshopfood.com/
- Phone: (704) 333-3396
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary European, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Trey Wilson
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Special Events: New events for Spring 2014 being arranged now! Please check back soon or call with inquiries.
A word from Customshop
Customshop is a modern trattoria with a neighborhood feel located in the heart of Charlotte, NC. Our menu, an eclectic mix of innovative American dishes, is inspired by Italian, French and Spanish cuisines. Interplay between the Old and New World fare is complemented by a unique and well-edited wine list. Employing only the finest quality ingredients, Customshop’s handcrafted dishes are meticulously prepared by owner and Executive Chef Trey Wilson, whose commitment to local farms provides guests only the freshest, sustainable food in the area, including produce from his own garden. Weekly menu changes are tailored to the seasonal availability of products delivered by local fisherman and farmers. Come join us in our intimate, candlelit dining room or our comfortable patio to see why Customshop is ranked one of Charlotte's most discoverable restaurants!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Customshop - Best Restaurants in Charlotte ›
Customshop reviews from OpenTable diners
80 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (69)neighborhood gem (49)special occasion (35)romantic (27)notable wine list (23)good for groups (11)hot spot (10)great for outdoor dining (5)great for brunch (3)late-night find (3)great for lunch (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- very disappointedknowsgoodfoodDined on 11/18/2014I had high expectations for Customshop but was thoroughly let down. Half of the items we ordered were good, half weren't good at all. The evening began with a weird situation as they seated us at a really cold drafty table on a very cold night even though I requested a table in the warmest spot available when I made the reservation. We moved to a different table so that wasn't a big deal, but the waitress didn't seem to like that we wanted to move. My friend is gluten sensitive, I'm not, and the waitress didn't seem all that interested in helping her with appropriate menu selections. The food was a mixed bag, the fall squash salad was just pathetic, no flavor at all. When delivered, the waitress basically threw it on the table and kept on walking without saying a word. The clams were delicious, the best item by far, and the sauce needed bread to properly "sop" up. I had to ask for bread, which was wonderful, but I'm curious why it wasn't offered to begin with. The seared yellow fin tuna was very good, but the hash that came with it wasn't anything special. The scallops were cooked properly and tasted good, but the pork belly succotash was not at all appetizing. The service was cold and impersonal, there was no fanfare at all when the food was brought to the table, it was simply tossed at us. The entire experience was less than what one would expect at a restaurant that's supposed to be one of Charlotte's best. I don't see any reason to go back.
- PrestonDined on 11/15/2014Customshop quietly and consistently some of the best food in Charlotte. The menu isn't fussy. It doesn't try too hard. It just shows what happens when high quality ingredients are prepared well and served by an experienced, friendly and knowledgeable staff. It's easily in my top five spots in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/13/2014Our waiter (Chip) did a fantastic job presenting the menu. The food was tops in Charlotte (en par with Barrington and Fig Tree).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is the star at CustomshopopentablevipVIPDined on 11/10/2014We live in Charlotte and have dined at Customshop many times because the food is always great. If you live in Charlotte and like excellent food, you should go regularly. If you are visiting from out of town and in the downtown area, you should seek out Customshop for dinner. There is plenty of free parking near the restaurant, and it is just outside of the loop highway that circles the center city - maybe a mile and a half or so from Tryon Street - a longish walk, but definitely walkable, if you like to walk. Anything on the menu that is something you like will be good. I can't think of a better endorsement for a restaurant. The service is friendly if not super-polished, but this is not a super-polished restaurant. You'll see.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Customshop could become a customPatMacEatsDined on 11/8/2014This restaurant is warm and cozy. The food is delicious. We had a squash salad that was perfect--so light and delicious. We also had the mushroom tapas which was amazing, and gnocchi (light and fluffy). They only have two dessert offerings, which I think is plenty. We had the walnut bread pudding with salted caramel ice cream. Yeah, exactly as heavenly as it sounds. The service is great too. I'm a bit of a prima donna when I go to restaurants. I want to sit where I want to sit. When they sat us at a table instead of a booth, I told the host that I was unhappy about our seating. He graciously found us a booth. So my suggestion is that if you're like me and you really want to sit in a booth, make your reservation early. This place is great!Special Features:
- goodeatsDined on 11/8/2014Customshop is one of our favorite restaurants in Charlotte. It is small enough to feel intimate, but just large enough to keep you from feeling like you're eating under a microscope. The low lights and dark wood create a warm, cozy atmosphere. The menu is locally-sourced, but the kitchen turns the ingredients into much more interesting dishes than you will find in many "farm to fork" restaurants. The quality of the food is excellent, whether you like pasta, chicken, pork, beef, or seafood. The service is friendly and attentive without being nosey or pushy. Perhaps the best way to recommend Customshop is to say this: If you don't get to dine our very often, Customshop is worth your time on a rare night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for the tapas fansRadTechDined on 11/8/2014The main course menu was very interesting but we chose to order off the small plates. The tuna, mushrooms, suasage and aged gouda were excellent and well presented. The shredded celery on the carpaccio, however was not to my personal taste. The wine list was limited but competent. We would (and have) recommended this venue to our friends.Special Features:
- Always very goodOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/7/2014As usual, food and ambience were great. This visit, service was great too. Can't remember his name, but we got the server we call the kneel-down guy, who always adds to the enjoyment of the experience. Wish we had more entrees to choose from...always hoping for a great fish special, but lately not too common.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal!RossieVIPDined on 11/6/2014Went to Customshop for a friend's birthday celebration and from the wine list, to our waitress, to my duck entrée, I enjoyedy meal. Great atmosphere and a good night!Special Features:
- Great DinnerMattVIPDined on 11/4/2014I was in town for work, and dining alone... so I sat at the bar. I had the tuna to start, and the ribeye as my main. The tuna was perfect, spicy and the sea salt was a great touch. I ordered the ribeye medium, and it was a bit undercooked. Not enough to send back, but enough to notice. The steak had fantastic taste, and the blue cheese on top was just right.Special Features:
- CheriebDined on 11/2/2014Great food. Great service. We went on a Sunday night and it was very quiet. It's a much busier vibrant scene on other nights.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Local-sourced winnersupprclubDined on 11/1/2014Fantastic food, service, ambience. The fried oysters very good. Had two pasta dishes: first garganelli with locally sourced sausage and smoked lamb shoulder- absolutely out of this world, second pumpkin-ricotta agnoletti w/ pork cheek sugo and pumpkin seeds-again, amazing. Pasta cooked perfectly, meat perfect-I know this sounds effluvious, but they are a winner. Wine list is very deep, spirits selection excellent. Choc. Souffle desert excellent as was the coffee.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting, delicious food!MariaBDined on 11/1/2014We celebrated a birthday at Customshop. The food was amazing - menu very creative. We had several food allergies at the table, and the chef came out to speak to us and help select our dinner. Great service! We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- interesting and deliciousSEinQueenCityVIPDined on 10/25/2014Haven't been to Customshop in over a year and was reminded of what a gem this restaurant is when we ate there last weekend with another couple. We shared a delicious, inventive meal. Although it was noisier than I remember (due to two large tables of diners that night), the server was attentive without being a nuisance (and apologized for the noise, which indicated to me that it was unusual). The BBQ octopus and chicken liver pate were stand-outs in the apps, while the deckle rib-eye and duck were the favorites from the entrees. Their bread pudding is one of the best around town and should be shared (too much for 1 person, but perfect for 2-4). I won't be waiting a year to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed not worth the moneyShellyVIPDined on 10/24/2014We waited 30 minutes past our reservation. The food was over cooked and portions were small (Octopus was burnt!). The waitress was in a hurry and not too helpful or interested in our experience They did comp our drinks from the bar as we had to wait so long. Probably won't return
- Saturday Night Favoritesaturdayfavorite1VIPDined on 10/18/2014My wife and I eat here often and have always enjoyed excellent service and good food. Even more enjoyable with friends since the noise level allows good conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SaraOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 10/17/2014Outstanding food, service & atmosphere. Farm-to-table ingredients is unlike any other we have experienced in Charlotte. The restaurant definitely exceeded our high expectations.. We will be back and hopefully soon!Special Features:
- PerfectCharlotteJackDined on 10/11/2014Last night (Saturday) was our first visit to Customshop. A near perfect dining experience. The food, the ambiance, the service, the care taken to small details was about the best we have experienced in the seven years since we moved from NYC to Charlotte. Our waiter's knowledge of the menu and the food preparation was first rate and his recommendations proved to be spot on. The food, both the small plates and the main couse were spectacular, unique and full of flavors. We cannot wait to return and are so happy to have this restaurant here in Charlotte. We have many excellent restaurant choices now in the Queen City and Customshop will now be a regular night out for us.Special Features:
- Creative menuBeBeDined on 10/10/2014The menu is very creative, and the service was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Every meal is made for youGastoniaFoodiesDined on 9/26/2014We came here with our daughter for our sixteenth wedding anniversary. We enjoyed the special menu that captured the seasonal elements of local foods. Our meal was perfect and we practically licked our plates clean. The chef made us a special bread pudding for dessert. The service is outstanding.Special Features:
- Pre NFL Game DinnerNMBRestauranteurVIPDined on 9/21/2014We were visiting Charlotte for the first time. We own a nationally awarded restaurant so our expectations are very high. After extensive research we found Customshop. We enjoyed and tasted many items. The homemade Gnocchi's, the BBQ Octopus, Crispy Duck Entree, Roasted Beets, Scallop Crudo, and all their Cheese and Charcuterie options. Every dish was well presented and executed perfectly. Our server Roxi was excellent. We cannot wait to return. It is worth a 3 1/2 hour drive for a short weekend getaway.Special Features:
- DiappointedDisappointedVIPDined on 9/19/2014We have been twice before and had fabulous meals. This time no spice in the spicey tuna meatballs and eggplant was tough in gnocchi. Very blah. The server was great and took off the price of gnocchi but we were so looking forward to a great meal
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/15/2014Food was excellent, but overpriced and small portions. Also the wine selection is overpriced.
- DeliciousbcfoodieVIPDined on 9/14/2014Really great food, cool atmosphere. Would have loved to have the chef's tasting menu but it's limited to only 2 people and the whole table has to participate. We were a party of 3. The honey comb with grilled cheese is to die for.Special Features:
- Amazing Food!kgsgardenDined on 9/12/2014We tried a few selections form each section of the menu. Everything was on point. The food could not have been better, and there is something on the menu for everyone. I only wish they had a little more sound buffer in the room...curtains, additional ceiling tiles, fabric...anything to dampen the sound. It's difficult to hear the server, much less have conversations at your table. The setting is romantic, but it's too noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food @ CustomshoppickyXdinerDined on 9/7/2014I think I put on five pounds because the food was so delicious and I couldn't stop eating. Where have you been all my life pork belly?Special Features:
- Great Meal!LmbbDined on 8/30/2014I've been to customshop several times and the food is always great, however, Saturdays meal was AMAZING. Great service, atmosphere, and food - can't ask for a better night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- perfecttdsdinerDined on 8/30/2014loved the simple yet sophisticated menu. the service was beyond reproach, very knowledgeable and not in your face. would recommend to anyone, great first date or anniversary especially.Special Features:
- One of our faves!gbouknightVIPDined on 8/29/2014Being new to Charlotte, we are enjoying experiencing all the restaurant options. So far, The Customshop is one of our faves! Fresh, always changing menu and great wine list with great service and great atmosphere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnderwhelmingOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/23/2014I had heard great things about this place so booked a table for when my in-laws were coming to town. We sat down and it took almost 20 minutes to get water. When the waiter came we just ordered all of our food in case we wouldn't see him again... and we didnt. We never saw him ONCE after that except for at the table behind us talking it up with a younger group of people - this is actually sad because I tip well having once worked in the service industry. The food was small and over priced. I ordered the scallops for dinner and the carrots were raw. It was like they rubbed olive oil all over them and put them under the warming light for 5 minutes. Completely in edible. I will never go back.
- Very impressedmhutchesonDined on 8/18/2014Wow. this spot was fabulous. Great varied menu. Food prepped perfectly. Service perfect. And certainly not a big spot - have to look for it. Meaning only those looking for an exceptional meal are going to find. A destination.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014Very good staff. The drinks take a while to get to the table, but otherwise it was a great experience.Special Features:
- Great food choicesOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/15/2014We loved the cheese and meat choices for the charcuterie. Also were fans of the pork belly and deckle. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ballantrayDined on 8/8/2014The food was as inventive and well prepared as always. I never could have dreamed up the scrumptiuous small plate little neck claims with pig tail. Custumshop consistently serves the best tasting food in Charlotte.Special Features:
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/1/2014I was impressed by the quality of good and service. This place is fit for foodies and anyone looking to have a nice meal with a good group of friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 504 reviews are from the Customshop reviews archive.
- FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/27/2014They were out of several items on the menu--I could understand it was Sunday. They has had gotten overflow from Resturant week night before-- Our server was cutting bread & plating it with his hands --along w handling money, computer, etc-- now, I know this happens but I don't want to see this during my dining experience.Special Features:
- Always satisfyingChefGeorgeDined on 7/26/2014One of our favorites. The bread pudding just keeps getting better.Special Features:
- Tasty and creativesunbeltboyDined on 7/19/2014The number of entrees here is quite limited, but they sounded good. However, we sampled little appetizers, half a dozen small plates and desserts. Everything was delicious, with high quality ingredients imaginatively combined and presented. Flash-fried Virginia oysters were an appetizer special, delicately done and outstanding. Scallop crudo and barbecues octopus were also excellent. The brioche bread pudding was large enough for three of us to share, and was lighter and less heavy/soggy than most. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Extremely goodEllainthecityDined on 7/18/2014The food was amazing and the service was perfect! Will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ConcordDocsDined on 7/16/2014They should have been ranked #1 instead of #4 top restaurant in Charlotte. Amazing foodSpecial Features: