Custom House Tavern
500 S Dearborn
Chicago, IL 60605Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Custom House Tavern
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.customhouse.cc/
- Phone: 3125230200
- Hours of Operation:
DINNER: Dining Room Everyday 5:00pm to 9:00pm Tavern Everyday 5:00pm to 10:00pm
LUNCH: Monday - Friday 11:30am to 2:00pm
BREAKFAST: Monday - Friday 6:30am - 10:00am Saturday - Sunday 7:00am - 10:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Perry Hendrix
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Private dining options available please contact us at (312) 523-0200 or email firstname.lastname@example.org with any inquiries.
- Private Party Facilities: Chef Perry Hendrix brings his considerable talents to Chicago with a menu that focuses squarely on American cuisine. Custom House is the perfect spot for small or large groups looking for the perfect dining location in the South Loop.
- Private Party Contact: Denise Beckman 3125230200
A word from Custom House Tavern
Custom House Tavern Chef Perry Hendrix offers a modern take on the American tavern favoring local sources and embracing seasonality served in a sophisticated, urban setting with warm inviting service.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Custom House Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
- Unfortunate experience at CHTOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/29/2012CHT had 7 appetizers on the menu but 3 of them they didn't have to order. The waiter also pointed out a handful of main courses that they didn't have either. We asked why they didn't have these items and were told "because we are closing down soon." That says that the food we could get was whatever they had left in house (opposed to fresh food).
- Food and service were veryEaterVIPDined on 10/28/2012Food and service were very good. Lots of local ingredients and fresh flavors made the meal a real treat. Service was godd without being hovering. Would recommend Custom House either for a caual meal - burgers or a more fromal meal - we have lae trout that was yummy.Special Features:
- Nice focused menu with goodThptrekVIPDined on 10/27/2012Nice focused menu with good choice of specials. Wine list is focused and well priced. Many of the menu items incorporated seasonal vegetables and spices which was nice. The temperature of the food was a bit on the cool side as if the dishes may have been delayed a bit coming out to table. Nothing wrong but nothing outstanding. Well worth a try.Special Features:
- Surprised--and disappointedtillieVIPDined on 10/26/2012We have had excellent dinners at Custom House Tavern in the past 18 months or so, enjoying the variety on the new menu. But we hadn't been there for several months until this weekend. What a disappointing surprise! The menu was scaled down, with no specials, even though this was a Friday evening. There was only one salad among the starters and one fish choice among the mains (the scallops main course came with braised ribs!). The autumn vegetable main course was swimming in various cheese/cream sauces--a mess! What happened to the Custom House Tavern menu of we enjoyed this spring and all last year?
- Phenomenal service and greatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/26/2012Phenomenal service and great food. The comfortable seating, well spaced tables and quiet atmosphere makes Custom House a great place for a date or business meeting. Really enjoyed the evening.Special Features:
- The Custom House has a welcomingeata7otVIPDined on 10/26/2012The Custom House has a welcoming staff who treat customers in a professional yet friendly manner. The ambiance is subdued and low key but subtly elegant. Service is smooth and professional and the wait staff are attentive without being intrusive. The food is flavorful and inventive, with perfectly sized portions.Special Features:
- Giz-IllinoisgizmoVIPDined on 10/24/2012I found the food options very limited with unusual components. Ambiance was good, service was pleasant and attentive. I would recommend the restaurant with reservations.Special Features:
- The food was outstanding andolgaDined on 10/19/2012The food was outstanding and staff were willing to accommodate my friend's dietary needs. Each entree was just a bit different from the typical presentation and was just the right size. Our server was pleasant and helpful. There was one odd blip in service, at one point our bread dishes were removed. We were so busy talking, we didn't really notice. However, the crusty, tasty bread was cheerfully restored as soon as we asked. The interior was attractive and comfortable, the view of a busy street and a gas station wasn't Scenic. I'd definitely go back again.
- Dinner, as always was wonderful.OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/17/2012Dinner, as always was wonderful. Each course was beautifully presented and tasted even better. The service was attentive but not intrusive AND they made sure we had plenty of time to arrive at the Joffrey performance promptly. A perfect evening!Special Features:
- Buger was really over cooked.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/13/2012Buger was really over cooked. Server was attentive but pretty cold. Food was good but not great. Probably won't returnSpecial Features:
- Excellent food and service.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/11/2012Excellent food and service. I went here for a business lunch and the setting was perfect!Special Features:
- Went here for a business lunch,OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/10/2012Went here for a business lunch, it was very quiet as we got there right when it opened. Chilly fall day in Chicago so I started off with their corn soup, which was great. Soup was not too rich, it had a sweet and spicy corn relish and cheese pudding swiped across one side of the bowl. I had the club sandwich, which was fine, but definitely something I could get at any bar or restaurant around the city and their fries were very soggy. Overall a slightly above average lunch spot.
- My scallops had crunches.JandBVIPDined on 10/5/2012My scallops had crunches. My dining partners food was salty. There are better places to eat in the south loop area.
- My companion and I met forOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/27/2012My companion and I met for lunch and both had the salad which was nothing special. The bacon & chicken confit just looked like strips of cooked dark meat thrown in the salad. Menu was meager and not very inviting. Will not return.
- One of the best restaurantsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/25/2012One of the best restaurants I have been to in Chicago. Everything we ordered ranged from good to incredible (we had two appetizers, two entrees, and two desserts). Portions sizes are modest but sufficient (we were both quite full at the end). The entire menu, including the drink menu, is small, but we had no trouble finding items we wanted to eat. Waitstaff is friendly. Dress is semi-formal.Special Features:
- We have had several fine dinnerstillieVIPDined on 9/23/2012We have had several fine dinners in this (relatively) new South Loop restaurant, and enjoyed every one of them--especially the warm friendly welcome and service! The staff really does make diners feel they are part of a special, cozy, wonderfully diverse club. The flatbreads, fish and shellfish dishes and the smoked duck pasta "carbonara" are excellent. And don't miss the coconut custard pie. I could happily do without that soggy sweet/sour eggplant, though.Special Features:
- No More Water PleaseOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/22/2012I tried to put this is a private note to the restaurant, but could not fit it within the character limit. We thought the restaurant did a nice job and overall enjoyed our experience. The only issue was with the bus boys aggressively refilling waters. We were interrupted several times. The worst case was when my son was actually drinking and the bus boy walked up and said "pardon me", when my son didn't stop drinking, he raised his voice and said "pardon me" again, moving the water pitcher over the table, just in case my son didn't understand what he wanted to do. Very weird and clearly a training issue.
- Great place. Food great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/22/2012Great place. Food great service was outstanding. Quiet for good conversation or business meeting.
- Quiet restaurant. ExceptionaljanneVIPDined on 9/17/2012Quiet restaurant. Exceptional food, especially given cost -- I think prices were reduced recently? Extremely clean, thank you! Good place to try for a quiet lunch. Solos will enjoy the tables in the bar, which have some modest-sized televisions. No giant sports bar tv's.Special Features:
- It was very good, but theOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/5/2012It was very good, but the menu could have more options.Special Features:
- A great place to relax andAntonioVIPDined on 9/1/2012A great place to relax and enjoy both drinks before dinner and dinner with friends.Special Features:
- I thought the food was goodDavidordcdVIPDined on 8/27/2012I thought the food was good but the menu choices were too limited for lunch. They were out of the one of the five dishes, that was not good. Again though, the food was really good.Special Features:
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/25/2012The food here is simply delicious. So good we ate 2 nights in a row on our first visit. The use of if different flavours is adventurous but works very well. The perfect place to try something new and the portion sizes are really good if you like a good meal but don't like waste!Special Features:
- This time around Custom HousejimmVIPDined on 8/21/2012This time around Custom House was a little disappointing. They seemed to have a service problem. We sat about 10 minutes with no service. Then after getting their attention we were waited on in turn by a busperson, the manager, and a waiter with a very odd demeanor who just kind of stood there and looked at us. The hanger steak was a nice size but surely could have used some salt. The Malbec was very good. Not to dwell on the past but I remember when this was a Shawn McClain place with a kickin' menu. Must be the economy?Special Features:
- We liked the food and theOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/19/2012We liked the food and the service was good, but the place was totally dead. We were enjoying our dinner and having a nice time, but we were getting dirty looks from some of the other patrons because the place was DEAD QUIET other than us. Nice atmosphere and delish food though.Special Features:
- Great food but a boisterousOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/17/2012Great food but a boisterous gay bachelor party ruined itSpecial Features:
- The Custom House No MoreJohn52Dined on 8/13/2012One of life's saddest moments is the realization that something of greatness has dramatically fallen in stature. My small group's recent dining experience was nothing short of miserable. The restaurant was exceptionally hot and requests to lower the temperature were ignored. The wine list was paltry, and there were shortages of both wine and scotch. Our server was inept telling us first that there was no Chardonnay and then reversing himself after we ordered another vintage. The pork chop special was fatty and difficult to cut. While Monday is usually not a busy night, the restaurant was nearly vacant. I guess others got the word before we did. This once world-class establishment has plunged to the depths of Chicago's dining scene.
- I live in the South Loop andOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/13/2012I live in the South Loop and I love Custom House. It's beautiful food served in a calm atmosphere. I am a devotee for sure and I wish them many more happy years. I take my mom there, I take my date there, I take myself there!Special Features:
- Probably better to walk on by.....OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/6/2012Went for business meeting. Had only 1 server in the entire dinning room on a Monday. Very few customers, but we were unable to get service. The server was cordial and seemed to work hard, but we had to get our own drinks and pepper. Food was nothing special. Flat iron steak and roasted potatoe. Beautiful place... But, without great service and notable food hard to make the case for a return visit.
- Salad overdressed. SweetbreadOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/2/2012Salad overdressed. Sweetbread taste "off" a tiny bit.
- We ate here the for our lastOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/30/2012We ate here the for our last night in Chicago and we were not disappointed! The food was outstanding, the service was great and the waiter knew the wine menu by heart! If I'm ever going back to Chicago, I will eat here again!Special Features:
- Reasonable "business dinner"StretchDined on 7/25/2012Reasonable "business dinner" venue. Food was well-prepared and straightforaward, if somewhat overpriced.
- Service and food were goodLuvtoeatVIPDined on 7/16/2012I sat in the Bar area as I was by myself and the service was excellent. The tavern steak and fries hit the spot. The bartender recommended the chocolate pudding with sea salt and olive oil vanilla ice cream and it was very enjoyable. I would return to the Custom House Tavern
- Not recommended. Food is notOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/13/2012Not recommended. Food is not that great for the price and the location.
- lovely to look atReddybroDined on 7/6/2012Waiter was very nice and provided excellent service. Came for the house Burger that I had read about. It was so/so. My husband felt his bun was stale. Did love the look of the place and would come again for something different.Special Features:
- Our waiter was impatient.OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/28/2012Our waiter was impatient. We came for the farm to table approach the Custom House advertises and he answered a couple of questions incorrectly and others not at all. Fortunately, we sat at the bar before dinner and the bartender had already set a better tone for the evening. Hanger steaks were good but could have been presented with something more sophisticated than fries. Sweetbreads came with a surprisingly delicious pairing of flavors.
- Perhaps the chef had a night off.bobbypVIPDined on 6/26/2012Convenient to the Hilton Downtown - but the food, for the prices charged, was not nearly competitive with others in the area. The restaurant was not busy on a Tuesday evening - and the wait staff attention level was not great. They cleared our bread plates after the appetizer. The food was tasty with presentation outdoing the flavors. The chicken liver and sweetbread appetizers were not very good. The steak was flavorful but not tender. The pork loin with shrimp was the best dish of the four. Perhaps the chef had a night off.
- We were a group of 8 women.JackieDined on 6/23/2012We were a group of 8 women. We were seated in a booth/table setting. The booth portion had a high back, which offered us privacy from other dinners. Grilled octopus was a wonderful appetizer.Special Features:
- Delicious food and excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/23/2012Delicious food and excellent service. Who ever dreamed up lemon grits in a ball deserves a culinary award. We had a delicious meal of generous portions in a friendly, beautiful environment. A great spot before the symphony!Special Features:
- Unfortunately our order forcarolallenDined on 6/15/2012Unfortunately our order for four people was lost!. The hamburger one in our party was overcooked when it finally arrived. I was embarrassed as never had this happen here before and hoped to impress our friends. The restaurant comped our beverages and gave us a dessert no one wanted.