Curry Mantra 1 - City of Fairfax
9984 Main Street
Fairfax, VA 22031Neighborhood:
IndianPrice: $30 and under
Curry Mantra 1 - City of Fairfax
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.dccurrymantra.com/
- Phone: (703) 218-8128
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian
- Executive Chef: Adil / Surrender (North / South) Specialty
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: Catering for Birthdays, Weddings, Social Gatherings or Office Parties.
- Special Events: Closed on Thanksgiving.
A word from Curry Mantra 1 - City of Fairfax
Experience our MANTRA (MAGIC) of making CURRIES. Enjoy Curries with Classic & Traditional decor. The Best of Fairfax.50 BEST RESTAURANT ( NORTHERN VIRGINIA MAGAZINE )Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerIndian
Curry Mantra 1 - City of Fairfax - Best Restaurants in Fairfax ›
Curry Mantra 1 - City of Fairfax reviews from OpenTable diners
39 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (30)fit for foodies (21)special occasion (10)great for lunch (9)good for groups (9)romantic (6)kid-friendly (4)great for brunch (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Outstanding Indian Food in Fairfax CityOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/23/2014Curry Mantra brings great food and ambiance to an otherwise forgettable corner of Fairfax. The restaurant is attractive without seeming too fussy. The room we sat in had a beautiful blue crystal chandelier that I couldn't take my eyes off of. There were cozy banquettes, comfy throw pillows. All in all, the room had a look of casual elegance. There was a display that boasted that India had "the largest IT professionals in the world." Note to Management: Boasting about obese IT professionals in an area where people are obsessed about losing weight is probably not a good way to "sell" your restaurant! ;) The menu is expansive, giving customers a whole lot to chose from. There is also a wine menu with lots of selections. They only offer three beers, however. I would love to see some craft beers on this otherwise compelling menu. Dinner began with very good papadums. The Muligattany soup was just right. I had the spicy lamb masala which was outstanding. Portions were more than adequate. My dining companion had chicken tikka masala. Also outstanding. And the roti was superb. Neither one of us had room for dessert. I only have two criticisms of this restaurant. 1) Tables were much too close. I heard every detail of our neighbors' conversations (Ask me about his boat in Annapolis!) 2) My dining companion was still eating when the waiter whisked away my plate and everything else on the table. We had to ask him to replace some stuff because Gar was still eating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was great. The service was slow.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/22/2014The food was great and I would go back. The service was slow. They only had two people waiting tables. They have too many tables cramped into a tight space.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply the bestbreakfastloverVIPDined on 11/21/2014Simply the best Indian food to be found in this area. Great service too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with friendsWilsonDined on 11/20/2014My wife and I have eaten at Curry Mantra many times; it is in our neighborhood. We invited friends to go with us Thursday night. The food was good as usual. The only problem encountered was with my order. I ordered Lamb Vindaloo with only medium spiceness. Unfortunately the meal brought for me was a Masala dish and I informed the server what I had actually ordered. The Lamb Vindaloo dish I received must have had the full spiceness on it as it was too much heat for me. I ate what I could, took the rest home and mixed it later with other leftovers I had..... This is the first time this kind of thing has happened to me there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My family loves this place!SkippyAlleghenyVIPDined on 11/15/2014My whole family loves Curry Mantra 1. When my son visits, it's his restaurant of choice. The food is very flavorful. My only problem with it is that it's too spicy. Even though I order the food "not spicy - mild" it's almost spicier than I can eat. However, no one else in my family has that problem. That said, the place is always busy and the service is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/8/2014Their wasn't any live music as advertised.I made reservation for 6pm on a Saturday specifically for live entertainment. Food is very good though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spicy and tastyRonLDined on 11/7/2014I met an old GMU friend for lunch. I had read that there was a good buffet for lunch. There was excellent variety. I few of the dishes very hot (spicy), but even so they were well prepared. There was also numerous vegetarian dishes. Very good value for lunch.Special Features:
- eatingoutwellEatingoutwellDined on 11/4/2014This was my first time at Curry Mantra and I really enjoyed it. Since it was a week night, the atmosphere was perfect for exploring the servers recommendations for our table to share and it was quite conducive to easy conversation. The food, wine and server attention were all excellent. He was quite adept at suggesting good appetizers to share and in recommending main courses to share and experience different cooking styles of India. I look forward to a return visit.Special Features:
- Excellent IndianTangowoodVIPDined on 10/22/2014I've lost track of how many times we've been to this or another Curry Mantra restaurant: It's the superb food that keeps bringing us back. This time seemed even better than usual, and it certainly was a hit with some out-of-town friends.Special Features:
- Love this place!DaveDined on 10/22/2014Good food and service as usual, which is why we keep coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday night at Curry MantraWilsonDined on 10/18/2014My wife and I dined at Curry Mantra I at 7:15pm on Saturday the 18th of October. The restaurant was very busy; the staff had to hustle to keep up. The kitchen seemed to be short some staff though as it took a long time to get our order. Longer than it usually does there. Other than that, the restaurant is still a very good neighborhood dining destination. I was also sorry that the musicians had to cancel their appearance.Special Features:
- good food, not good servicesylvieVIPDined on 10/18/2014Really good samosas. We had a vegan eggplant dish and lamb saagwala (lamb curry with spinach), both very good. Crowded Saturday evening, and inexperienced waiters meant that we were forgotten frequently throughout the evening.Special Features:
- ffxdinerVIPDined on 10/9/2014Possibly our best dinner that we've had here. I tried the non vegetarian thali special that had bowls of four different entrees, rice, 2 sauces, naan & a rice dessert. It was delicious & very filling. My husband had one of the biryani's & enjoyed his. We both took some leftovers home. Nice atmosphere too.Special Features:
- Very good authentic Indian foodCherVIPDined on 9/27/2014I really enjoyed this place and as a frequent Indian food consumer who has traveled to India....I loved all the dishes I tried.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful Indian restaurantmac5Dined on 9/20/2014We have been looking for a great Indian restaurant ever since we moved to Northern Virginia. Curry Mantra surpassed all our expectations. Our meals were wonderful and the service was excellent. We will definitely eat here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DelisciousGaylezeeDined on 9/20/2014I went with one friend. We don't know a whole lot about Indian food but tried an appetizer and 2 different dishes so we could share and taste different things. They were all very very good. The service was excellent. Thanks!Special Features:
- ShalVIPDined on 8/30/2014Excellent Indian food from an indian's biased viewpointSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant experience, will return!WineNotDined on 8/29/2014This was my first time dining at Mantra and I was very pleased. I chose the lunch buffet, which was very nice. Having the buffet meant less interaction with the wait staff but they were very nice, not bothersome, and checked on us occasionally (thought they still deserved three stars). I enjoyed a lovely glass of Cabernet Sauvignon and was delighted with the quality for the price. I was also quite pleased with how quiet the restaurant was given the small space and the fact that a large group was dining near by. I found no reason not to return in the future.Special Features:
- Great Food as Usual!DaveDined on 8/27/2014We love going to this restaurant for Indian food! And the staff is always friendly!Special Features:
- Delicious food, pleasant serviceFoodienotcookDined on 8/22/2014We went for my husband's birthday, which I'd let the restaurant know in advance. Our kids (11 & 8) loved the atmosphere. Our food was outstanding, and they gave us a 10% discount for checking in and mentioning Yelp. After we'd paid and were getting ready to leave, they came out with a dessert, complete with candle and singing "Happy Birthday." Very nice experience. Oh, and we had tons of food to bring home. Nice portions!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and RefinedOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/9/2014With kids in camp, my wife and I wanted to have a date in a refined atmosphere with food for more mature tastes, and Curry Mantra fit the bill. We had been there a few times since they opened and knew they have very good food, and were again impressed Saturday night (Aug. 9). I had the veg thali and all the dishes were perfect. My wife had a new Northern Indian dish, murgh-e-shahi, chicken fillet with nuts, saffron and raisins with cream sauce. At first it seemed too creamy and bland, but it had an afterburn that made it tingle. There was also live India music being played at a level to enhance the atmosphere without intruding into conversation. One tip - make a reservation at busy times to be seated in the fancier room to the left.Special Features:
- Good, not greatMoodlesDined on 8/8/2014The food was well prepared, and the extensive menu made me want to come back to try other selections. Only drawback was a little too much salt in one entree. Portions were so large we made another meal from our leftovers, but we are not big eaters. The service was perfect. The atmosphere felt a little sterile for some reason--perhaps the lights were a little too bright (it was evening), and the decorations had nothing that seemed individual or unique. Still, we will go back, and also try the sister restaurant in Vienna.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Indian food!!FX22032Dined on 7/29/2014This food is so awesome that our family ALWAYS has to have it when they drive 24 hours from Texas for a visit! And it never fails to please!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 185 reviews are from the Curry Mantra 1 - City of Fairfax reviews archive.
- always pleasingLindaVIPDined on 7/26/2014We've eaten here a few times. The staff is always friendly and accomodating. The pleasure is the food which is always freshly prepared, served hot, and with ample portions. My husband loves the Mulligattany soup and I like the Samosas. The currys are mild but tasty and there is a good selection of vegetarian entrees.Special Features:
- They are going down hill fast!LinnyVIPDined on 7/5/2014I was not happy with the food the last two times I dined there. I will not be going back! They were very good until they opened there second location.
- ffxdinerVIPDined on 7/5/2014Had a good relaxing dinner here. The butter chicken that I ordered was just delicious. My husband tried one of the regional dishes - a stuffed chicken fillet with nuts, some saffron, etc. This was also delicious. Service was attentive. We'll return again.Special Features:
- Great foodFoodandwineDined on 6/21/2014We enjoyed lamb vindaloo, tandoori chicken, fish curry, roti, tarka daal, samosa and Chana Marsala.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/14/2014Food was wonderful, staff very friendly and accommodating. Decent wine list, nicely priced.Special Features:
- Wonderful serviceAmyfromOaktonDined on 6/13/2014Wonderful service, wish the food would have been as good! Very average dishes.
- Excellent service and foodwaterpleaseDined on 6/7/2014My friends and I randomly picked Curry Mantra out of the other surrounding Indian restaurants from our search in Yelp. The service, food, and ambiance exceeded our expectations. The food was fresh and delicious. There was live music - it was really lovely. The hostess and servers were all very friendly and courteous; totally on top of filling our drinks and asking if we need anything more. It was a wonderful dining experience.Special Features:
- Lunch BuffetOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/7/2014After my graduation ceremony my family and I went there for the lunch buffet and we were absolutely blown away by the quality of the selection available. Every dish I tried was fresh and flavorful. Curries and other dishes are very savory and not extremely spicy. We look forward to visit the restaurant more often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not greatLinnyVIPDined on 5/18/2014We go to Curry Mantra at least two or three times a month. This last visit really missed the mark in service. We placed our order and never received our drinks, and had to flag down our server to ask what happened. He was very stressed and explained it was only him for the entire room!!! I guess someone didn't come to work or something? The service didn't improve after that. No spoon to serve the rice. No pen with the check. It was not a good experience. I will give it one more try but there are plenty of good Indian place to eat in our area.I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentJcnvaDined on 5/17/2014We had a very nice dining experience at Curry Mantra. The food was excellent. The menu offered many choices and among our group of six there was plenty of sharing. All of the dishes I sampled were delicious. The service was also excellent. We enjoyed the ambiance. Overall it was a great experience and we highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/16/2014our group of 6 had a leisurely meal, not rushed, sat and talked and enjoyed excellent food for almost 3 hours. Very good experience. Will return.Special Features:
- Fantastic CurrychileDined on 5/15/2014We like to eat family style at this restaurant. All the different favors are a treat to our taste buds.
- Delicious and good varietyGSDGirlDined on 5/14/2014My girlfriend and I went for an early dinner to catch up at Curry Mantra and ended up just ordering some appetizers with a glass of wine. The appetizers were delicious, fresh, abundant, and very economical. My favorite was the Hariyali (chicken) tikka appetizer with the cilantro coating and yogurt marinade. SO good. We will definitely be back to try the entrees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!jjg10Dined on 5/13/2014Curry Mantra never fails.....always superb food! I have dined in two of the three restaurants and the food is just amazing! Good customer service too!Special Features:
- Did not live up to reviewsTryNewThingsDined on 5/11/2014I was extremely disappointed with my experience. First, the service was terrible. We sat down and no one came to our table--we had to flag someone down after 15 minutes of sitting ignored. They asked us if we wanted the buffet or to order from the menu. We said we would look at the buffet and then decide. The buffet was very limited, so we decided to order off menu. After 10 minutes of waiting, we had to flag someone down to get menus. Then we had to flag someone again to put in the order. The vegetable samosas were excellent. The rest of the food, however, was EXTREMELY salty to the point of being inedible and came out with a thick skin top layer as if it had been sitting for forever. WILL NOT RETURN.
- Tasty and authenticGiljiDined on 5/11/2014Curry Mantra offers a great spread, whether taking advantage of their ample buffet (e.g., Sunday brunch), or ordering off the menu for dinner. The restaurant provides an excellent combination of traditional Indian dishes, which can be as spicy as you wish, as well as high quality ingredients served in an attractive manner. I especially recommend the mango lassi (like a yogurt smoothie), the naan (bread), the goat biryani (a real treat), and the gulab jamun (a traditional Indian sweet; this is about the best I have had outside the Subcontinent).Special Features:
- DisappointingDininglinkDined on 5/10/2014Our second visit to Curry Mantra. The appetizers and entrees were surprisingly bland compared to other places. The Palak lacked any spiciness. The chicken was sparse in the gravy that also lacked flavor. It was like they decided to cut back on spices. We eat at Indian places at least once a week and were impressed the first time we went here. Not this time. The wait staff were nice but we never knew who was our waiter as they all flitted about. After the meal no one offered a dessert menu or coffee, just the bill.