Curry Mantra 1 - City of Fairfax
9984 Main Street
Fairfax, VA 22031Neighborhood:
IndianPrice: $30 and under
Curry Mantra 1 - City of Fairfax
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.dccurrymantra.com/
- Phone: 7032188128
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian
- Executive Chef: Adil / Surrender (North / South) Specialty
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: Catering for Birthdays, Weddings, Social Gatherings or Office Parties.
- Special Events: Closed on Thanksgiving.
A word from Curry Mantra 1 - City of Fairfax
Experience our MANTRA (MAGIC) of making CURRIES. Enjoy Curries with Classic & Traditional decor. The Best of Fairfax.50 BEST RESTAURANT ( NORTHERN VIRGINIA MAGAZINE )Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerIndian
Curry Mantra 1 - City of Fairfax - Best Restaurants in Fairfax ›
Curry Mantra 1 - City of Fairfax reviews from OpenTable diners
34 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (16)fit for foodies (14)special occasion (13)great for lunch (9)good for groups (8)kid-friendly (5)great for brunch (4)romantic (4)hot spot (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Great Food as Usual!DaveDined on 8/27/2014We love going to this restaurant for Indian food! And the staff is always friendly!Special Features:
- Delicious food, pleasant serviceFoodienotcookDined on 8/22/2014We went for my husband's birthday, which I'd let the restaurant know in advance. Our kids (11 & 8) loved the atmosphere. Our food was outstanding, and they gave us a 10% discount for checking in and mentioning Yelp. After we'd paid and were getting ready to leave, they came out with a dessert, complete with candle and singing "Happy Birthday." Very nice experience. Oh, and we had tons of food to bring home. Nice portions!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and RefinedOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/9/2014With kids in camp, my wife and I wanted to have a date in a refined atmosphere with food for more mature tastes, and Curry Mantra fit the bill. We had been there a few times since they opened and knew they have very good food, and were again impressed Saturday night (Aug. 9). I had the veg thali and all the dishes were perfect. My wife had a new Northern Indian dish, murgh-e-shahi, chicken fillet with nuts, saffron and raisins with cream sauce. At first it seemed too creamy and bland, but it had an afterburn that made it tingle. There was also live India music being played at a level to enhance the atmosphere without intruding into conversation. One tip - make a reservation at busy times to be seated in the fancier room to the left.Special Features:
- Good, not greatMoodlesDined on 8/8/2014The food was well prepared, and the extensive menu made me want to come back to try other selections. Only drawback was a little too much salt in one entree. Portions were so large we made another meal from our leftovers, but we are not big eaters. The service was perfect. The atmosphere felt a little sterile for some reason--perhaps the lights were a little too bright (it was evening), and the decorations had nothing that seemed individual or unique. Still, we will go back, and also try the sister restaurant in Vienna.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Indian food!!FX22032Dined on 7/29/2014This food is so awesome that our family ALWAYS has to have it when they drive 24 hours from Texas for a visit! And it never fails to please!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always pleasingLindaVIPDined on 7/26/2014We've eaten here a few times. The staff is always friendly and accomodating. The pleasure is the food which is always freshly prepared, served hot, and with ample portions. My husband loves the Mulligattany soup and I like the Samosas. The currys are mild but tasty and there is a good selection of vegetarian entrees.Special Features:
- They are going down hill fast!LinnyVIPDined on 7/5/2014I was not happy with the food the last two times I dined there. I will not be going back! They were very good until they opened there second location.
- ffxdinerVIPDined on 7/5/2014Had a good relaxing dinner here. The butter chicken that I ordered was just delicious. My husband tried one of the regional dishes - a stuffed chicken fillet with nuts, some saffron, etc. This was also delicious. Service was attentive. We'll return again.Special Features:
- Great foodFoodandwineDined on 6/21/2014We enjoyed lamb vindaloo, tandoori chicken, fish curry, roti, tarka daal, samosa and Chana Marsala.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/14/2014Food was wonderful, staff very friendly and accommodating. Decent wine list, nicely priced.Special Features:
- Wonderful serviceAmyfromOaktonDined on 6/13/2014Wonderful service, wish the food would have been as good! Very average dishes.
- Excellent service and foodwaterpleaseDined on 6/7/2014My friends and I randomly picked Curry Mantra out of the other surrounding Indian restaurants from our search in Yelp. The service, food, and ambiance exceeded our expectations. The food was fresh and delicious. There was live music - it was really lovely. The hostess and servers were all very friendly and courteous; totally on top of filling our drinks and asking if we need anything more. It was a wonderful dining experience.Special Features:
- Lunch BuffetOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/7/2014After my graduation ceremony my family and I went there for the lunch buffet and we were absolutely blown away by the quality of the selection available. Every dish I tried was fresh and flavorful. Curries and other dishes are very savory and not extremely spicy. We look forward to visit the restaurant more often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not greatLinnyVIPDined on 5/18/2014We go to Curry Mantra at least two or three times a month. This last visit really missed the mark in service. We placed our order and never received our drinks, and had to flag down our server to ask what happened. He was very stressed and explained it was only him for the entire room!!! I guess someone didn't come to work or something? The service didn't improve after that. No spoon to serve the rice. No pen with the check. It was not a good experience. I will give it one more try but there are plenty of good Indian place to eat in our area.I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentJcnvaDined on 5/17/2014We had a very nice dining experience at Curry Mantra. The food was excellent. The menu offered many choices and among our group of six there was plenty of sharing. All of the dishes I sampled were delicious. The service was also excellent. We enjoyed the ambiance. Overall it was a great experience and we highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/16/2014our group of 6 had a leisurely meal, not rushed, sat and talked and enjoyed excellent food for almost 3 hours. Very good experience. Will return.Special Features:
- Fantastic CurrychileDined on 5/15/2014We like to eat family style at this restaurant. All the different favors are a treat to our taste buds.
- Delicious and good varietyGSDGirlDined on 5/14/2014My girlfriend and I went for an early dinner to catch up at Curry Mantra and ended up just ordering some appetizers with a glass of wine. The appetizers were delicious, fresh, abundant, and very economical. My favorite was the Hariyali (chicken) tikka appetizer with the cilantro coating and yogurt marinade. SO good. We will definitely be back to try the entrees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!jjg10Dined on 5/13/2014Curry Mantra never fails.....always superb food! I have dined in two of the three restaurants and the food is just amazing! Good customer service too!Special Features:
- Did not live up to reviewsTryNewThingsDined on 5/11/2014I was extremely disappointed with my experience. First, the service was terrible. We sat down and no one came to our table--we had to flag someone down after 15 minutes of sitting ignored. They asked us if we wanted the buffet or to order from the menu. We said we would look at the buffet and then decide. The buffet was very limited, so we decided to order off menu. After 10 minutes of waiting, we had to flag someone down to get menus. Then we had to flag someone again to put in the order. The vegetable samosas were excellent. The rest of the food, however, was EXTREMELY salty to the point of being inedible and came out with a thick skin top layer as if it had been sitting for forever. WILL NOT RETURN.
- Tasty and authenticGiljiDined on 5/11/2014Curry Mantra offers a great spread, whether taking advantage of their ample buffet (e.g., Sunday brunch), or ordering off the menu for dinner. The restaurant provides an excellent combination of traditional Indian dishes, which can be as spicy as you wish, as well as high quality ingredients served in an attractive manner. I especially recommend the mango lassi (like a yogurt smoothie), the naan (bread), the goat biryani (a real treat), and the gulab jamun (a traditional Indian sweet; this is about the best I have had outside the Subcontinent).Special Features:
- DisappointingDininglinkDined on 5/10/2014Our second visit to Curry Mantra. The appetizers and entrees were surprisingly bland compared to other places. The Palak lacked any spiciness. The chicken was sparse in the gravy that also lacked flavor. It was like they decided to cut back on spices. We eat at Indian places at least once a week and were impressed the first time we went here. Not this time. The wait staff were nice but we never knew who was our waiter as they all flitted about. After the meal no one offered a dessert menu or coffee, just the bill.
- msgasbVIPDined on 5/2/2014It was ok. Not familiar with indian food. Was a buffet so not able to judge the service
- The following 167 reviews are from the Curry Mantra 1 - City of Fairfax reviews archive.
- FootcenterDined on 4/19/2014I've eaten Indian food for many years now at quite a few different restaurants. The dishes here were very tasty, the service quite attentive, without being annoying. Staff was friendly. We were seated promptly. They took extra effort to light heating candles under each entree ,which was a nice touch, as we like our food warm. If I get back to this part of town, I'd certainly be happy to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice RestaurantJoanneVIPDined on 4/12/2014We really enjoyed our dinner at Curry Mantra I in the City of Fairfax. The staff was extremely pleasant and helpful. The food was delicious, and we will definitely come back. Our only complaint was that the live music was louder than we would have liked (I actually didn't realize that the music was live at first and was going to ask that the volume be lowered -- that would have been embarrassing!) and made it a bit difficult to talk with our friends. We prefer a quieter atmosphere for conversation when we dine with friends. As I mentioned, we really liked our meals; and would probably come back on a weeknight instead.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Treat YourselfOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/4/2014My husband and I ate there this past weekend. We had the Boti Kabob, tender lamb dish that was extremely tender and delicious and the chicken tikka masala that was warm and amazing as well. We order the garlic naan, a definite good choice and chana masala, the chickpea dish as a side. Will definitely go again. I did not enjoy the pinot noir they served, but didn't pay attention to the brand so that's what I get. The lighting was lovely, dim and cozy and the musicians played wonderfully, not too loudly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We enjoyed and will returnOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/29/2014My husband and I ventured to Curry Mantra 1 because I was craving curry chicken. We were quickly seated for our reservation literally as soon as we walked in (PLUS). The dining room is very colorful and had a nice ambiance. The food was good (we had tandoori wings and samosas for appetizer, garlic naan, chicken tikka masala and chicken saga(something). The only part I didn't like was that it took a long time for the food to come. However, when it did come it was hot. If you aren't in a hurry and order appetizers (which came in a timely manner) then dine here. We'll return. I actually think I will order takeout today. :)I would recommend this to a friend.
- always greatrwthethirdDined on 3/28/2014I think we will keep coming back until we have tried everything on the menu, and then start again!Special Features:
- Yummy dinnertablefor2Dined on 3/22/2014Went for dinner with family. Very good, although a bit salty. Our waitress was very friendly and patientSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had a very nice relaxing dinnerffxdinerVIPDined on 3/22/2014Had a very nice relaxing dinner here. My husband really enjoyed the vegetarian dish he had. I had the butter chicken which was delicious and we shared the garlic naan. We've eaten here before & it's consistently good.Special Features:
- Always DeliversPntblRvwDined on 3/15/2014I have dined at Curry Mantra over twenty times since they opened, and they have never failed to deliver an excellent meal. Their consistency, quality, authenticity and service are tremendous. You can't go wrong on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- O.K.AtBestOKAtBestDined on 3/15/2014High expectations....excellent reviews... Went with several couples... O.K. at best... Not bad..not good, just average at very best... Would not recommend a repeat engagement, unless pressed specifically for Indian cuisine. Ordered spiciest item on menu and lacked flavor, spice, and taste. Tried several friends' entre's and all tasted the same... Again, not bad, bland, definitely not bad...good, but nothing to write home about. Could be I just don't like Indian cuisine.
- Curry Mantra a new favoriteChipperDined on 3/2/2014Looked for an Indian restaurant for my wife's birthday and the reviews and menu looked great, so we gave it a shot. The food was amazing, and so was the homemade chai latte. They have Indian entertainment on Friday and Saturday so we'll definitely be back.Special Features:
- Restaurant in DeclineRedValsenDined on 3/1/2014Don't eat here if being comfortable while eating is high on your list -- we made the mistake of going on a cold, windy night, and we were alerted to every customer who came through the front door by the gust of frigid air that wafted into the dining room from the front entrance. Most of the ladies in the room kept their coats on (my wife kept hers on, and placed my coat on her lap). There was live music, but it was so loud I couldn't hear my wife, who was seated three feet away on the banquette (I hate banquettes). The waitress appeared to be extremely inexperienced and difficult to understand. She also had difficulty understanding us. The food itself was okay, but not worth the price or the annoyance.
- best indian food in town!JeffDined on 2/28/2014Lamb marsala, butter chicken and chicken marsala were all excellent...as was the naan bread. this was our third time eating here and the food has been perfect everytime. Regretfully, this last visit the service was extremely slow. There were about 3 times as many patrons when we arrived. when we left, every table was occupied and it probably took 20 minutes to get/pay our check. Despite the slow service, we will return as the staff are very friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentbreakfastloverVIPDined on 2/22/2014The lunch buffett is hot and varied. A great way to sample lots of dishes.Special Features:
- Good food, so so serviceJJCCDined on 2/21/2014Not our first time at Curry Mantra. Food was good, although the lamb in the mixed grill was very tough. Service was a bit chaotic as the wait staff couldn't decide who was covering the table, missed a drink order (wrong drink provided) and seemed to have difficulty in getting things to the table.Special Features:
- Buffet lunchLeahDined on 2/17/2014I went with one my friends to try the buffet at lunch time and was pleasantly surprised. The food was hot and quite good. We tried almost every dish and were completely satisfied without feeling overly full. I would definitely recommend and go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable, Casual DiningMindyDined on 2/15/2014My husband and I love indian food. This was not the best we've had in the area, but it was very good. We noticed some of the dishes seemed spicier than we are used to, which we liked, but I thought it worth noting. The restaurant is small so it's a bit crowded, but once seated we were quite comfortable. The live music was nice too, but between the size and the music it was more of a lively, fun atmosphere than a quiet, calm one. We didn't have our kids with us, but I think it would be a good family restaurant because it's relatively casual and with the noise if the kids are a little rambunctious it wouldn't be too noticeable.Special Features:
- Very good find in a randomDCfoodloverDined on 2/15/2014Very good find in a random strip mall. Top notch food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.