2915 W Cary Street
Richmond, VA 23221Neighborhood:
IndianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.currycraft.com/
- Phone: (804) 358-0350
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Friday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 2:00pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Vegetarian / Vegan, Indian, Contemporary Indian
- Executive Chef: Mel Oza
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Mel Oza 8043580350
A word from Curry Craft
Curry Craft is a contemporary Indian restaurant that is all about the craft and judicious use of spices. Conceptualized and designed by Chef Mel Oza of "The Evolved Curry Studio" the restaurant has at its heart a kitchen that boasts both traditional and modern Indian cuisine with the Chef"s signature twist. Chef Oza has in the past consulted for Copper and The Blue Taj restaurants in Charlotte, NC and Lehja in Richmond among many others in Los Angeles, San Francisco, Minneapolis, Denver. Here at Curry Craft you will come to know Indian food in a new and exciting way, albeit without missing a single note, spice or flavors associated with ancient Indian tradition. Curry Craft's convenient location makes it an ideal gathering spot for private and business diners alike. Visit our bar and fill your craving for cocktails with our signature and innovative offerings. Like our motto says, we are Culturally Rooted, Locally Suited! Come visit us for an exciting journey of gastronomy.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Curry Craft reviews from OpenTable diners
14 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (10)neighborhood gem (7)romantic (4)special occasion (3)good for groups (2)late-night find (2)vibrant bar scene (1)notable wine list (1)hot spot (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Birthday Dinner for FiveTryingEverythingDined on 10/18/2014We love Indian food and are constantly looking for new restaurants to experience. Curry Craft has traditional dishes with a unique taste twist that we thoroughly enjoyed along with a delicious signature dish provided as a free appetizer while we waited for the entrees. Only negative was the Nan (bread) was barely cooked (even after requesting "well done" when more was ordered), small and not enjoyable compared to what we have been served in other Indian restaurants. Our server was very good, knowledgeable of the entire menu and attentive. Beer and wine menu had a good variety of selections. Full bar not available but not a problem for us. The ambiance was nicely upscale for a restaurant on Cary St.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Finally, good Indian in RichmondJulesDined on 9/14/2014Small and well curated menu. Knowledgeable waitstaff. Dreamt flavor and great callus. Get the chaat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Needs more optionsBriniDined on 8/30/2014All the selections were different variations or different sauces with either chicken or lamb there were very few vegetable options I would've liked more menu choices. The waitstaff was fabulous. The food we ordered was very good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Curry Craft - CarryTownScottyDined on 8/23/2014Curry Craft is a quaint spot for deliciously delicious not cheap not expensive Indian cuisine. Phenomenal apps-the chaat is supurb, and dynamic curry. Portions are not large, but ordering a number equal to your party size +/- 1 with the same number of naan (1/2 regular and 1/2 garlic) will create a tremendous sharing food experience for all!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food, Excellent ServiceIndianFoodFanaticDined on 8/15/2014I love Indian food, and I really liked how Curry Craft put a modern twist on classical Indian dishes. I also thought it cool how they put different ingredients that one would never see in traditional Indian cuisine (i.e. - goat cheese and mushroom on naan). The food was absolutely fantastic, and our server was very knowledgeable. It was very thoughtful of the chef to come out, check on us, and to thank us for coming in.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 36 reviews are from the Curry Craft reviews archive.
- Indian food with a touch of fusionMuseumDistrictFoodieDined on 6/14/2014For a great Indian restaurant centrally located in Richmond look no farther. Located on hip Cary Street we found it to be a quiet oasis -- and hope it grows to be a thriving, bustling neighborhood favorite. (We had a 5:30 reservation which could explain why it was quiet.) The food was excellent. All four of us enjoyed what we ordered. The food is both authentic and has a touch of fusion. Escargot! The service was also excellent. The booths were very comfortable.Special Features:
- monkDined on 5/31/2014One always feels altogether welcome at this place, and the food is wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great meal at Curry CraftECMBDined on 5/17/2014This was my second visit to Curry Craft and it was just as good as the first visit. Our waitress was friendly, attentive and helpful with picking dishes and wine. The food was flavorful and fresh. This isn't your typical Indian food restaurant - the quality and flavor is outstanding.I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectJohnDined on 5/13/2014I've never had Indian food at this level before. We had an amazing meal, among the best in this city. We started with apps off the menu and the special board, and followed with rockfish and tikka masala. I want to go back and just work my way through the appetizers one night, a lot of textured flavor in each of the small plates.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious,Dine2and2VIPDined on 5/11/2014Food was perfect and the service was prompt and polite. Good recommendations on the wine. Overall a wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Indian Cuisine in RichmondMibiDined on 5/11/2014When I moved to Richmond from NoVA, I thought I'd never find the kind of excellent Indian cuisine that I loved when in the DC area. Curry Craft meets and in some ways exceeds what I knew and loved up north. Creative, spanning several different cuisine traditions of India, well-balanced vis-a-vis heat and flavor, I always find something to make me smile. The crab/prawn special on Sunday night was marvelous. Looking forward to going back again.Special Features:
- An Excellent LunchCTownKCDined on 5/11/2014We had an excellent experience at Curry Craft. Lunch was good, and had delicious flavor. The chef even prepared a free appetizer for us to try. Delicious!Special Features:
- A new perspective on Indian foodreturningsoonDined on 5/9/2014What a find. We recently dined here before attending a play because we had heard so many good things about the place. My initial reaction was, "How much different can it be?" Boy was I surprised. The restaurant is casual and comfortable. This staff is friendly and attentive, without being oversolicitous. But the food, oh the food. Everything was delicious. The goat cheese and mushroom naan was amazing. My entree was lamb with a coconut sauce. Outstanding. Others had two different chicken dishes that were outstanding. You simply can't go wrong here. Prepare yourself for. Whole new Indian experience.Special Features:
- Good FoodDinner4twoDined on 4/25/2014Good food, good service and we will be back for more.....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious foodlg64Dined on 4/19/2014Would definitely recommend for authentic Indian cuisine.Special Features:
- Will be backpatti1964VIPDined on 4/11/2014First time and we loved it! We will drag return...and soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anjeeri Shrimpaurora14VIPDined on 3/12/2014The chat starter and Anjeeri Shrimp (really creamy) are absolutely amazing! I loved the banana kulfi. We'll be back.Special Features:
- FustratedAbigwellsVIPDined on 3/1/2014We arrived at our reservation time, but was not greeted by any employee of the restaurant when we entered. We had to go to the bar to ask for help and was left standing while a server went to clean off a table for our use. After waiting for 20mins, the waiter finally took our drink order and asked if we would like some Naan. We said yes. 20 more mins later they drinks arrived, but no bread. 15 mins later, the waiter provided an on the house appetizer and stated that the kitchen was backed up. When pressed on an estimate, we were told that she "was unable" to know. 20 more minutes pass by, we have not been asked if we want another drink or been updated as to how long dinner will take. 20 more minutes in, we decided to leave.
- Love itdpathdrDined on 2/15/2014Third or fourth time here, keeps getting better. Great flavors, great choices. Well-selected and crafted drinks to start, and too many options to choose from in one visit (bring a friend or two?). While an omnivore, I could go without meat here and be happy. Start with the "chaat" and you will not be disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was okayJcullenDined on 2/15/2014The place of crowded, the service slow, and the food was okay. However, the tomato soup was wonderful. The rest was just ok.Special Features:
- Good ChoiceRareNightOutDined on 2/15/2014A friend recommended Curry Craft for my wife and my rare date night. It was really good. Romantic setting, good service, and good food. It is all I ask and they delivered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was the best Indian foodLuvtoeatVIPDined on 2/4/2014It was the best Indian food we have ever had. In fact, with me being a foodie, I consider it as the best of the best gourmet Indian food restaurant. I highly recommend it. You will be very happy. Please keep in mind that everything is made when you order it so expect a small wait.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was wonderful and veryDolphVIPDined on 1/25/2014Food was wonderful and very friendly service with a cordial checking i by the chef made for a very nice dinner adn outing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Naan was the best!frequentdinerVIPDined on 1/17/2014We don't understand the hype. The food was all good, but not exceptional except for the mushroom - goat cheese naan which was excellent! The service was very good considering how busy the restaurant was.Special Features:
- Fabulous FindCuisine61Dined on 1/14/2014Love the décor, the food was outstanding as was the service. Had to wait just a while for entrée as the root veggies were taking a little longer, but the chef sent out the most divine complementary appetizer to fill the gap! Our first time there and can not wait to go back!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So Very Slow!MadonnaDined on 1/4/2014This place could be so much more fun. The soup was outstanding, and the entrees were good, but we waited 90 minutes for our entrees, and 30 minutes before we received our starter. We weren't in a hurry, but we were hungry. This was true for all. One explanation, no apologies and nonchalant attitudes. Not rude. Just the shrug. Go for the soup. Skip the rest. I recommend only if you know the deal.I would recommend this to a friend.
- we'll be backBeenThereDined on 1/3/2014Had a great dinner with delicious authentically spiced indian food. Wine selection fit the menu. The chef was gracious and came out to chat. He would be a hit in London or New York, we're lucky to have his talents here. One member of our party dropped a gold bracelet in the booth and when she called back to see if anyone had found it they had it, much to her relief. Honestly great food with honestly great people. A combination that can not be beatSpecial Features:
- Best Indian in RichmondnanaanneDined on 12/17/2013You won't make a mistake ordering ANYTHING on the menu here! The chef has been a consultant for several Richmond restaurants and his use of spices and regional dishes is fantastic. Chicken Tikka Masala is always my "go-to" dish in judging any Indian restaurant, and Curry Craft's is excellent. Beyond that, most of their offerings are not found in the traditional Richmond Indian restaurant, and they are wonderful discoveries!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Work in progressEatoutalotVIPDined on 12/11/2013Very understaffed the night we were there. Two servers for the whole restaurant and the kitchen was "backed up" and the place was not even full. Almost three hours for a dinner. Food ok, but not great. Pass on the Chicken Tika Marsala. Chef makes the rounds of the tables. Maybe he should be cooking. Nice room and great location. A work in progress.
- Vegetarian spice heaven!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/7/2013Curry Craft is a treasure in an unassuming package. Chef Oza's use of spices is incredible. We shared four entrees and each was truly unique. The chef is vegetarian, so he knows how to prepare delightful vegetarian fare. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Testy and zestyjag1Dined on 11/30/2013The chef provided a free, unexpected appetizer and we had two great entrees. One was a spicy lamb dish, the other a mild cream curry seafood dish. One "hot" and one "cool." I usually go for the spicy side, and both were excellent. Serving sizes were just right. Greater Richmond is fortunate to have several very good Indian restaurants. Curry Craft joins that company.Special Features:
- Curry CraftDavidDined on 11/23/2013Exceptional menu - well prepared dishes - very good service - the chef's specials are just that, very special - and he follows them to your table - very inviting interior - comfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All about the foodbankerchicVIPDined on 11/3/2013Phenominal food...from a white girl (Indian in a former life) Indian foodie and cook. So happy to find this right in Carytown and not have to drive out to suberbs for quality Indian food. Flavorful, inventive, not overly cooked or salted. Service was slow but pleasant. Bit pricey but worth it. Didn't sample the drink menu but will next time - some really enticing options. Odd to see no Indians working out front - staff fit the white hippy Carytown standard.Special Features:
- Very Good Food & Excellent ServiceDinner4twoDined on 9/20/2013I have never had Indian food before, but my girlfriend love's it. She said it was some of the best Indian food she had every had. It was a great experience for me, I love the food; the blend of spices and flavors were excellent. I would recommend that if you have never had Indian food before, please have your first experience at the Curry Craft. The food and service is excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go west for your Indian Food FixWineguyDined on 9/14/2013We enjoy Indian food and probably eat at Indian restaurants 4-5 times a year. We live in the city and were excited that a new Indian restaurtant had opened in Carytown. Unfortunately, we will most likely not be back to Curry Craft. We did not find the food worth the wait. The restaurant was not crowded so we failed to understand the delay in getting our food. If the food had proven exceptional we would tolerate the delay but we did not find that to be the case. We will continue to enjoy our favorite Indian restaurant in the west end although it is out of our way. We find the food and the service to be excellent. It's consistent and the wine list, although not large, it pairs well with the food.
- It's CraftedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/4/2013This is authentic Indian food crafted by a chef who cares. Wait patiently while your entrees are made to order, not brought out from a steam table. Cocktails are creative and carefully mixed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Curry CraftVegfoodieVIPDined on 8/24/2013Great spot! I cannot recommend enough. The food was amazing and the drinks alone were enough for the trip there.Special Features:
- Sophisticated Indian foodLuvindianfoodDined on 8/8/2013The food was delicious. The 3 of us ordered one appetizer and three entrees to share. Every dish had a wonderful flavor and sauce. This is not your cheap Indian lunch buffet! We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Addition to Carytown!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/14/2013Well executed cuisine. Chef delivers amazing, dishes with unique flavors. Chaat, was very clean and refreshing, Chicken Roti, great seasoning with a kick, Lamb dishes wonderfully complex. . Much better than any other Indian Restaurant around. Great service. The dessert, Khulfi, was amazing! Not too sweet and the perfect finale to a great meal. Look forward to our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great New Indian JointVWhiteDined on 7/6/2013My husband and I went to Curry Craft for the first time the other evening and had a great experience. We are originally from the Northeast and feel that the food was high quality and authentic. Not to mention that we had great service from our server. I will mention that if you'd like to have a few drinks with dinner you may want to reconsider having them at Curry Craft. They are easily double the price of other Carrytown restaurants. However that is my only complaint. My husband and I do plan on going back but will opt for water or a soft drink. Enjoy.Special Features: