200 E Tarpon Ave
Tarpon Springs,, FL 34689Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://currentstarpon.com/
- Phone: 7279405377x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday 11:30 Am - 2:30 PM
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm,
Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Alex Kidman
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
A word from Currents
Welcome to Currents Restaurant! A Fresh Seafood Concept. Hand Crafted Chef Features tantalizing your five food senses, Bitter, Sweet, Salty, Sour and Umami... Voted Tarpon Springs Best Restaurant for 2012, we deliver Market Fresh Produce hand picked daily and pair with the highest quality Seafood and Meats. Enjoy a Sophisticated Wine List and Enticing Fresh Bar Cocktails. Remember that Currents is Gluten Free and Vegetarian Friendly! Don’t see something on our Menu? Call just a day or two ahead and we will prepare what ever it is you desire! We will host your Bridal and Baby Showers to create a stellar memory for you!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeighborhood Gem
Currents - Best Restaurants in Tarpon Springs ›
Currents reviews from OpenTable diners
27 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (21)special occasion (14)fit for foodies (12)romantic (9)great for lunch (4)notable wine list (3)great for brunch (2)good for groups (2)vibrant bar scene (1)great for outdoor dining (1)hot spot (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Lovely little bistrodatenightoutDined on 8/23/2014We drive about an hour just to dine at this lovely little bistro. The food is wonderful and there is a pleasant little bar as well. The walls are decorated with artwork for sale from locals. Always a nice dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and MusicMermaidDined on 8/22/2014We went for a romantic dinner. The nice thing is that that have someone playing a guitar with nice music while you dine. The Grouper was fantastic and so were the vegetables and crab cake. We made reservations through open table. They were not quite ready for us, but really got on it to get us a table of our choice; so very accommodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special treatmentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/21/2014When I booked a table at Currents I said in "special requests" that I was a vegan and hoped to have some rice or quinoa with vegetables, if possible. Also that I was bringing my elderly mother with me to celebrate my 60th birthday. We got there early because the cab was early, but we were seated immediately...at a table with a birthday card for me! Our waitress, Stacey, was fabulous and treated us so warmly, giving particular attention and patience to my mother. PLUS, she said the chef had prepared a special vegan offering for me of wild rice and sauteed vegetables. Excellent food and service. The owner/manager walked us tot he door when we left. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- DisappointingDennisDined on 8/20/2014We used to just love this restaurant. The food was fabulous and service awesome. While the service was very good, the food was just "good". very bland and just OK. Not particularly on our return to list any longer.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/1/20141st and last beef entree I will have. Always great servers and environment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/30/2014The food was excellent but our server was poor. We've dined here before and with a different server we enjoyed the entire experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MidweekLeeGVIPDined on 7/23/2014We went midweek and enjoyed a great meal and personal service.Special Features:
- Excellent AnniversaryKAKADined on 7/22/2014We visited Tarpon Springs for our 25th anniversary and received a recommendation to go to Currents for dinner. What a great choice! Since it was a week night, the place was not busy and the staff were very focused on us ... including having an anniversary card for us (nice touch). Excellent food & excellent service made it a very special dinner.Special Features:
- Tarpon JewelJohnBVIPDined on 7/18/2014Currents, downtown Tarpon Springs, is a marvelous restaurant....from the greeter, servers, bartender, entertainer and manager . Our latest dinner last Friday was superb (my wife's filet was perfect and my grouper fantastic) with the gravlax appetizer phenomenal. With such a friendly staff who go out of their way to make your experience special, Currents is truly a Tarpon Springs treasure.Special Features:
- Perfect light supperOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/24/2014Came in wanting a light dinner and had a soup and appetizer combo that was outstanding. Charcuterie plate was amazing as was the Lobster bisque.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatJenJDined on 6/14/2014Awesome first visit! we will be back soon. Food and service were amazingSpecial Features:
- Above & beyondYoungatHeartVIPDined on 5/24/2014After enjoying our anniversary meal the bill was presented with a card from the management and staff recognizing our special day. No other restaurant in 39 years has ever done that, even those close to home where we have been regular customers. Real class! Food was great, service attentive. Amid all the ethnic restaurants in the area, Currents stands out for its European flair.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice placeSarasotaRobDined on 5/17/2014An enjoyable evening away from the tourist places on the Sponge Docks.Special Features:
- Mother's Day MealSpurgDined on 5/11/2014Have returned several times...Service is excellent, food is delicious, waiter worked with my daughter's gluten-free, vegetarian diet with ease. Cool atmosphere. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- DisappointingMikeDined on 5/10/2014Very loud electronic piano overwhelms the atmosphere and good food of the restaurant.Special Features:
- Perfect Mom's Day CelebrationDiningDivaDined on 5/10/2014I took both my parents to Currents for the first time. It was a lunch for my mother to celebrate Mother's Day. They totally enjoyed the whole experience. The food was outstanding and the service was wonderful. This was my third visit to the restaurant and I will certainly be back.Special Features:
- The following 113 reviews are from the Currents reviews archive.
- Last minute reservationLeeGVIPDined on 5/3/2014We had not been to Currents in a couple years. We were presently surprised. Everything was perfect from the wine to the food and the service. The waitress even put together an after dinner cheese board as if we were in Europe even though it was not on the menu. We will be back!Special Features:
- Never Disappoints1lucky1VIPDined on 4/24/2014Whether you stop by during the week or come by on the weekend, the quality never falters and the service is always wonderful. It is a refreshing place to eat in Tarpon Springs among stale food chains.Special Features:
- 5 star nightJohnBVIPDined on 4/18/2014Starting with home-crafted drinks with Doug at the bar, fabulous dinner (Champagne grouper phenomenal) served by Marius followed by a one of a kind desert made the evening a most memorable one. Looking forward to our next visit !!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Real Great Experiencediner529Dined on 4/11/2014Everything was Great. Highly Recommend visiting this fine establishment !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and ServiceMermaidDined on 4/5/2014They strive to make their food the correct temperature and wellness. The staff are friendly and helpful. There was live music that was very pleasing too. You really need reservations since it is always packed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for travelersJimiVIPDined on 3/31/2014We stopped based on Open Table recommendation and were very pleased. Service was a little slow, but acceptable. I had the NY Sirloin which was done to a perfect medium rare, my wife had the Seared Salmon, done well, as requested.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YUM!PASSIONATEFOODIEDined on 3/29/2014Great experience! We enjoyed the mussels, escargot, tuna special, pork tenderloin and seared salmon. All were awesome!! Can not forget the banana pudding...seriously the best I have ever had. Jesse was our waiter and he gave us great service!! Have recommended to friends already and will go back!Special Features:
- Great NiteJohnBVIPDined on 3/28/2014Started at the friendly bar for a drink with my wife; cozy table for dinner afterwards. All the personnel super friendly and knowledgeable. Food ( the special tuna appetizer, salmon and duck entrees0 was great. Bartender chose a perfect wine for us. Richard Southerland is always great on guitar...not too loud but quite enjoyable dinner music.Special Features:
- FROM N LEIGHNORMADined on 3/22/2014had excellent FRESH red snapper, slightly crusted. absolutely marvelous! we were able to byob. corkage fee is minimal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Currents: Once again.....JimCDined on 3/21/2014Having been to Currents in the past, I was impressed with the increase in staff and organization. The Crab cake appetizer was great although we did notice that there seemed to be more filling than on other occasions. I am also not sure I would serve the "Wedge" with the bacon un-crumbled as it was a bit difficult to cut the bacon into smaller pieces. The bourbon Salmon was fantastic and, of course, the specialty peach drink was superb. Service was impeccable. Great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite Restaurant Had a HiccupTomYDined on 3/18/2014We frequently dine at Currents. We love their menu, food preparation, atmosphere and staff. We were disappointed in the service when it took nearly 30 minutes to get our check. We asked the waiter several times for the check. We brought some out of town guests to Currents and they had to get up in the middle of the night for their return plane trip. The lengthy time for the check preparation was frustrating and ruined an excellent meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedDennisDined on 3/15/2014We have eaten at this restaurant several times and truly love to go. Usually the food is awesome and the wait staff exceptional. NOT this time. The food (two meals of the four) was at the best warm, a sea food pasta. The grouper was not done properly, not seared and flaky and also warm, however the steak was fine. The management staff adjusted the bill and made the experience better. The waiter was not as attentive as should have been expected. The food would have been sent back immediately, but the "how is everything" came as soon as the food was delivered and no one had had an opportunity to eat any. We had to have the hostess return the food to be heated. We will return and hopefully the next time it will be back to excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This was our second trip towje1Dined on 3/15/2014This was our second trip to Currents - and it was just as good as the first one. We again had Jessie as our server - excellent in every way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as we thoughtFLmom84Dined on 3/15/2014We went to Currents with friends and we're expecting it to be awesome based on the reviews. It was ok, but not nearly as good as we thought it would be! Our booth was uncomfortable for starters. My sangria was good, but my crab and shrimp pasta was average. Sauce just seemed kind of greasy and dripped all over the place. Not too many shrimp and the crab meat was sparse and just kind of thrown in the middle of the pasta. Our side salads were very basic and the dressing was pretty basic too. Maybe they were having an off night. At the end of our dinner we even realized that our waiter hadn't even bothered to bring us bread!! Honestly we might try it again, but it won't be at the top of our list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- our experiencejohnDined on 3/14/2014Once again CURRENTs is proving to be one of our favorites for good food and serviceSpecial Features:
- Birthday CelebrationKbillybobDined on 3/12/2014We went to Florida and decided to celebrate my wife's birthday while we vacationed since our flight home was on her birthday. She had been to Currents two months earlier and raved about it! Street parking was easy, although the restaurant was crowded. Service was excellent with Gabrielle serving us martini's and Stacey delivering our food. Both young ladies were attentive and great to talk with. We both started with escargot, which was excellent. My wife had wonderful sea bass and I had duck that was cooked perfectly. We ended sharing a chocolate chip bread pudding, yum. What a great place! They even had a signed birthday card for the birthday girl! We will visit there as our favorite place whenever we are on the gulf side of the state!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ambience and Then SomeluveatingoutDined on 3/8/2014Currents is one of my wife and I favorite restaurants. Their menu is simple and straight forward. They offer nightly specials and it has an intimate feeling. White tablecloths, pleasant over the table lighting and often a musician. Noise level even with the musician is pleasant. We would highly recommend this restaurant to our friends. The wait staff are always attentive, pleasant and smiling. Great place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good food and the serverMurphDined on 3/8/2014Very good food and the server was top notch.won a gift certificate from Cypress Run golf course. That is the reason we went there. I had $100 certificate, had a party of 7 people so our bill was $350 with tip. We spent an extra $250 so your giving the gift certificate paid off as we love your place and will come back and refer it to our friends. I don't think that we would have gone there otherwise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- March 07 2014 dinner with friendsBWelchDined on 3/7/2014A great find in downtown Tarpon Springs. This was our 4th visit and must say the food was great again. A reasonable corking fee for those that bring their own wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I started with the crab cakeSheilaH226Dined on 3/5/2014I started with the crab cake appetizer. It was delicious but not as awesome as the server said it would be (it had more breading in it than she mentioned). My husband enjoyed his smoked salmon flatbread. We both had Grouper for dinner. I had the Picata and he had the Special with a citrus wine sauce. They were both excellent. We finished with the flourless chocolate cake with a raspberry coulis. It was very good. Bottles of wine are on sale on Wednesdays. $10 off when you buy an Entrée.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely place~CurrentsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/22/2014Our server really made our dining experience special. they had a couple great specials. My wife had a white wine pasta w mussels and scallops~delicious. I enjoyed the chicken caprice. the lobster/crab bisque was the best we ever tasted. i dream of it at night. we also had specialty drinks...both wonderfully mixed. we brought our 2 11 yr old daughters. our server was wonderful keeping them happy w lots of cherries at their request. for romance, go later...8 or 9. the lights are low and the ambiance is very warm and romantic. a musiciian plays classical guitar... like angels singing. dont rush. you are welcome to sit and relax. we highly reccomend and will be back soon. .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always great! Love their escargot.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/21/2014Always great! Love their escargot. And their flat breads. And Gabby (waitress) is 100% awesome, she remembers your dining history, likes/dislikes, and ensures you feel taken care of and happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine diningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/17/2014If you want to celebrate a special occasion, this is probably the best restaurant around. Our compliments to the chef.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I lovelovelove Currents! EverythingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/15/2014I lovelovelove Currents! Everything about them is outstanding, the food, the service, the ambience (the décor is beautiful and inviting, the soft and lovely live background music top-notch, and the original art on the walls - superb)... I have lived in many part of the U.S. and have dined in my share of great establishments. I can truly say that Currents ranks right up there with the best. Wonderful to find such a gem tucked away in the quaint little town of Tarpon Springs. I highly recommend it to all of my friends and any out of town visitors are always treated to a meal there - it's one of the highlights of their trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.