75 Forks Market Road
Winnipeg, MB R3C 0A2Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.smithrestaurant.ca/
- Phone: 2049442445x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 6:30am - 11:00am, Saturday - Sunday: 7:00am - 12:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm, Dinner: Daily: 4:30pm - 9:00pm; Brunch: Saturday- Sunday: 7:00am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Canadian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Alex Svenne
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: The Inn at the Forks is proud to provide Outside Catering for indoor and outdoor events for 10-1500 people. We specialize in corporate receptions, themed functions and 100% Green
- Private Party Facilities: The Solstice room, which connects to SMITH, can be booked for private restaurant functions. Two walls of large picture windows allow for a view of The Forks grounds and make for a bright and inviting dining experience. Please contact us for group menus and more information.
- Private Party Contact: Melissa Mulder 2049263895x
- Entertainment: Coming soon
- Public Transit: The Forks Market is serviced by Winnipeg Transit’s the Downtown Spirit, route #38. Winnipeg Transit routes #14, 19, 53, 54, 55, 57, 59, & 68 all stop just a five minute walk away.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: All parking at The Forks Market is owned and operated by The Forks. The multi-level parkade and surrounding outdoor parking is free to guests of the area merchants, unless otherwise indicated.
A word from SMITH
A new culinary experience built on craftsmanship and a dedication to the finer points. SMITH celebrates the truth of honest food created from the diversity of the lands and waters of our great country. We focus on local, seasonal, and the products of Canada.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
SMITH reviews from OpenTable diners
6 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (3)scenic view (3)great for lunch (3)kid-friendly (2)fit for foodies (2)good for groups (2)great for outdoor dining (2)romantic (1)great for brunch (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Depends on what you orderdinerDined on 5/30/2014My friends ordered the pickerel and they loved it. I order the Ciopinno and it was disappointing. Two of the mussels tasted "off". The broth was really just a tomato sauce, not "brothy" at all. Also the only veggies in the cioppino were parsnips, which got very boring. Some were tough, others tender. Not the best choice and overpriced at 35.00. The dessert was great, however,as were the breads and butter choices. My friend requested and got gluten free bread. I asked for almond or soy milk and there wasn't any.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous food and serviceCcbearDined on 5/23/2014The food was excellent. Cooked to perfection and full of flavor, with every bite, from appetizers to dessert. The server was very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WOW!!jenjenDined on 5/18/2014Went for a romantic dinner... I had mixed feelings as I knew what the restaurant looked like during the day, however the lights were softly dimmed and relaxing music was playing. We lucked out and had our own private dinning room room looking out at the forks market. Food... WOW!! The mussels off the menu were the best (don't let the "with golden potato" deter you! I had the Prairie Grill which was a lovely way to sample 3 meats in smaller portions and very delicious. My boyfriend had the Strip Loin steak and said it was like butter. The entire experience was relaxing and romantic and we will be going back. Note: There was a sign that said closed June-September 2014 for renos :(Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 104 reviews are from the SMITH reviews archive.
- Mother's Day BrunchDougDined on 5/11/2014Aside from the numerous patrons who chose to let their toddlers make an unreasonable amount of noise, we had a great Mother's Day brunch at The Current. The food was very good, our waitress was phenomenal. The price was a little steep -- but you get what you pay for!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sweet experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/10/2014What a wonderful place to celebrate our anniversary! We consistently have had a great time and delicious meals every time we eat at the current. Thanks for making even lunch a special and memorable experience for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent breakfast!!briecheesyDined on 5/10/2014I surprised my Mom with brunch at The Current for Mother's day and it was the best surprise ever. She LOVED it!!!! The service was excellent and the food was very original and absolutely delicious. Portion sizes were quite good and well worth the money. Would definitely go there again and highly recommend it. :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wanted to be wowedTrynewplacesDined on 4/7/2014I do not frequent more expensive restaurants due to my personal budget constraints. Tried the Current for a special occasion , ordered the special which was steak. Sorry to share that I was disappointed in the quality of meat. I have been treated to lunch here and wanted to try dinner but gotta say I would be hesitant the next time. Having said that I tried your squash soup and it was great !Special Features:
- Cindy G.CindyDined on 3/23/2014Brunch was very good. I've eaten here many times before and the food is consistently good. Lots of food choices. Service was not good ... eventhough the restaurant was only half full, they were understaffed. However, the staff that were working were attentive as possible. I would still recommend the Current for breakfast/lunch/brunch for good food and a nice ambience. I suggest you ask to be seated in the sun room which is bright and cheery with its large windows.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good overall - bit expensive,BradDined on 3/21/2014Very good overall - bit expensive, but still great.
- Current lounge live jazzHippo56Dined on 3/14/2014I had a really great time sitting in the lounge, enjoying live jazz, wine, appetizers, and having a great visit with friends. The wine and food was great and the atmosphere was cozy with nice comfortable chairs and a view of the Forks at night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were very pleased withFullnhappyDined on 3/6/2014We were very pleased with everything .First time there very surprisedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful All AroundfancygalsDined on 2/22/2014There was a group of 4 of us for dinner and it was probably the best dining experience I have ever had. Our server was Wendy and she was very good. One girl in our party didn't drink so she asked Wendy to think up something fancy for her. The result was spot on and very tasty.....a Miami Vice! The appetizers we had were the muscles and bruschetta which were both very delicious. The muscles were so good and you got a large amount! We were then delivered some amuse-bouche compliments of the chef, which I'm sure we weren't the only table to get it but it sure made us fee special. Overall the food was excellent and the experience was just as good! I would most definitely come back again!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great nightBarryDined on 2/14/2014As always .....we completely enjoyed our experience at The Current. Great food and great service. Ensure you try the Ginger Pear drink!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could be betterTwo4dinnerDined on 2/14/2014Our meals were small and not cooked very well. The waiter was cheesy and uncomfortable. This dining experience did not meet our expectations or value for the money we paid. We were very disappointed. The desert was the best part.Special Features:
- Over-ratedjaggVIPDined on 2/14/2014The food was medicore at best and the service was terrible. There are so many other places to dine in the city that are light years better, why would one go back?
- More miss than hitss22Dined on 2/14/2014My wife had a Riverstone Remix sandwich and soup. Menu says includes Kale slaw- missing. It was tasty, and could have been a hit but grilled sandwich was Riverstone cold. I required a gluten free meal and was limited to salads or the vegetable Biryani. I chose the Biryani. It wasn't bad, but I expect more flavor from a Biryani. No heat at all and just short on flavour. I was a bit confused that the waiter suggested gluten free bread with the Biryani instead of the naan, but there was no offer of gluten free bread to make any of the sandwiches gluten free. My wife has been there previously for brunch and said it was quite good, but this lunch left us both feeling a bit underwhelmed. The Pins and Needles martinis were very good though.Special Features:
- Business MeetingsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/10/2014Ideal location for business meetings; Quiet setting with great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- unusually slowBeeeDined on 2/4/2014This is my favorite restaurant. The food was great as usual, but the meal came out a bit slowly. Never had that happen and have been going there for 3 years. Definitely recommend this restuarant to everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic AnniversaryDairyFreeDined on 1/31/2014Thank you for making our anniversary so special. Dinner and service was spectacular and they chef was extremely accommodating with my allergy. Most restaurants just shrug their shoulders when thy don't have a dessert option that fits your dietary restriction, but here they made sure I had a dessert that wasn't just a fruit plate. Both of our meals were delicious and we can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ImpressedDuchessDined on 1/31/2014My husband and I visited this restaurant for the 1st time to celebrate his 50th BD, we were looking to try something new, quiet and romantic with good food of course. We got all of it and more. The server was awesome, the food excellent (I had the pickerel and he had the steak), it was fantastic. We went to the lounge afterwards to enjoy the jazz music. Thank YOU Current Restaurant + Lounge for making my husband's special day a memorable one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic eveningFoodaddictDined on 12/29/2013Food was delicious, service was great, the ambiance was perfect. It was just the right balance of being romantic yet fun and laid back. The French onion soup was by far the best I've ever had in my life. Our steaks were also delicious. I highly recommend this restaurant for special occasions or date nights! Only downfall is the expensive price. Definitely our new anniversary hotspot though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazing…again!romanceDined on 12/27/2013We love this restaurant and we visit often. Everything is always well prepared, excellent flavours, and amazing service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous food & awesome service!BonbonDined on 12/25/2013What more can I say... Everything was great. Went there for Christmas Day lunch & it was amazing. The food was delicious & beautifully presented. Not to mention the staff was attentive & courteous. Overall a wonderful experience!Special Features:
- food reviewdenpreDined on 12/15/2013The prime rib was great but I would have preferred it little more rare, other than that it was excellent. The four of us had the prime rib and it was only me that would have preferred it a little less cooked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Breakfast EvergirldaysDined on 12/14/2013My friends and I chose the Current for a Christmas Breakfast get together. The food was fantastic, service was great. Loved the restaurant decor and the view. Everyone raved at the food, service and ambiance. Good value for the $ Will definitely plan other get togethers at this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- moderately warmsuziebytheriverDined on 11/1/2013Appetizers and soup were great! Entree was warm not hot. Would try again but ask for hot meal.Special Features:
- A treat for start to finishTrixie47Dined on 10/25/2013Timely, friendly and helpful staff. All recommendations followed and thoroughly enjoyed. Portions well presented and filling. Veggies cooked to perfection. Thank you for a memorable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food preparation was ok, serviceywgguysVIPDined on 10/18/2013Food preparation was ok, service was slow and décor is getting tired. Not what it used to be. Just another moderate hotel restaurant.Special Features:
- Delicious but priceyMeet2dineDined on 10/17/2013Due to having the choice of many fine restaurants in the city, the price would be a factor in my consideration of where to dine on future occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!vacha72Dined on 10/13/2013My husband and I truly enjoyed our evening! We had not been to the restaurant before and were very pleased with the entire experience. The staff was very friendly and very knowledgeable about the menu items which made our dinner choice much easier for us. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- thank youromanceDined on 10/11/2013thank you for the wonderful dinner...was a great start to our weekend. our favorite place to go for dinner for a night away from the children!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful mealKBrownDined on 10/7/2013My recent visit to Current Restaurant was on a Monday so the restaurant was quiet. I was part of a party of 5. The meal was delicious. We all ended up ordering steaks and none of us were disappointed. In fact this will now be my go to restaurant for steak!! The waiter was knowledgeable and attentive. He was very intuitive as to when to approach us and when to hang back.Special Features:
- Wondeful lunch spotLunchDined on 10/7/2013It was really nice. Food was great, service was attentive and ambience was peaceful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice breakfast spot13Cherry88Dined on 9/28/2013My dad, my husband and I went to the Current on a Saturday morning for breakfast. It was a perfect place for a nice visit. We didn't feel rushed. We were all very happy with our food. The service was a little slow at times. Overall, we had a good time and agreed that we would go there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not so good. This time aroundNotapickyeaterDined on 9/6/2013Broccoli and beer soup was delicious. I did not like the seafood risotto at all. I told the waiter, he said it was sweet because of the cheese. He then left and did not return till our plates had been cleared. I only ate the 6 pieces of seafood & a teaspoon of the risotto. This was not our first time at the Current. Last time was enjoyable, we had good food & good service. Winnipeg has so many good restaurants, no need to return to this one.
- Impressed. Would dine again.CasualDinerDined on 9/4/2013The staff was very friendly and knowledgeable. My girlfriend has a gluten allergy and they were very accomodating towards that with gluten free bread as well as many gluten free menu options. The food was delicious and cooked to our satisfaction. A very nice resturant for a classier dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, noisy kitchen.guitargeekDined on 8/31/2013Food was excellent, but the constant clanging and dish-washing sounds coming from the kitchen detracted from the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly quiet.Zen20Dined on 7/21/2013The restaurant is a pretty good venue for quiet dining and good conversation. The service was ok but sometimes they disappear and if you want to order another drink it'll take a bit of a time. I requested for a special dessert for my husband ,who's celebrating his birthday that day, in which I asked the time I booked the restaurant and reminded them that morning too, only to disappoint me. I had to give a hint to Wendy, our server, about my request. She said she had to check the computer only a minutes ago. we had to wait 20 minutes for it. it kinda ruined my surprise. Oh well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Father's Day BrunchVCdiningDined on 6/16/2013Excellent brunch for four on Father's Day. The brunch menu is a la carte. All selections were fantastic with a special nod to the Current style poached eggs and the Tall Prairie platter. I have dined at the Current on several occasions and never really thought about it as a brunch option. A very pleasant surprise!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, good atmosphereverysatisfiedcustomerDined on 5/11/2013The service was friendly and courteous. The food was well prepared and presented very well... very tasty. Even though there were a number of people there, it was not noisy... I could have a nice conversation. Very enjoyable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.