Current Restaurant and Bar
3291 St. Croix Tr. S.
Afton, MN 55001Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Current Restaurant and Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.currentrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6514368883
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday: 8:00am - 11:00am, Sunday: 8:00am - 2:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 4:00pm, Sunday: 2:00pm - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Marc Paavola
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Delivery, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, High Tea, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Offering off-site catering for groups of 10-400 guests. Please contact our event coordinator at 651-436-8883 for all of your event planning needs.
- Private Party Facilities: Reserve our top level of our restaurant for groups of 20-32 guests. Minimum food and beverage required.
- Private Party Contact: Dan Jarvis 6514368883
- Entertainment: Please visit our website for entertainment schedule.
A word from Current Restaurant and Bar
CURRENT's menu is fresh, lively and healthy... along with a few items for splurging! We support locally owned, independently operated farms and businesses whenever possible. CURRENT brings to you 100% natural or free range raised products only from farms using best practices and we strive to offer natural, organic and local produce and ingredients whenever possible. Our culinary team has a passion for scratch cooking and uses only the highest quality of fresh ingredients available. CURRENT cares about it's community and footprint and gives back a portion of proceeds to others in need in our community and around the world.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Current Restaurant and Bar - Best Restaurants in Afton ›
Current Restaurant and Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
14 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.4Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (5)neighborhood gem (4)great for outdoor dining (3)great for brunch (2)special occasion (2)late-night find (2)good for groups (2)kid-friendly (2)vibrant bar scene (1)romantic (1)scenic view (1)fit for foodies (1)Show More
- TastyXxxxxxxDined on 8/24/2014We chose this restaurant based on viewing its menu on line, and its location near the river. It felt more bar than restaurant with TV and wall speakers next to our table. However, the waitress was quick to accommodate our request to turn down the sound level for us. The menu offered several tasty appetizers, salads, entrees and more. The food was nicely plated in thoughtful portions. We had to wait longer than usual for our food and one of our salads was not served until main course time. Our server otherwise was friendly and attentive. Overall I say venture to Afton and support this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Halibut and Hanger SteakfoodieVIPDined on 8/15/2014The Halibut special was delicious and the Hanger Steak was a large portion. Love having the option of going to Swirl beforehand! The service was great and Christina is a great server!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- inconsiderate serveranniversaryDined on 8/10/2014food was good but the staff didn't want to be there
- Worth the DriveFamilyFoodieDined on 6/15/2014This is a great restaurant and worth the drive if you don't live near the Afton area (it's an hour drive for us)! The food was great, the service was great, and it was a big hit for everyone in our group of 10! As an added bonus, it's within walking distance to the river, so a walk by the river/docks was a nice compliment to a great meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/11/2014We went here for brunch on Mother's day and the seleciont was poor, the food was cold and overpriced at $25 per plate.
- The following 105 reviews are from the Current Restaurant and Bar reviews archive.
- Nice place, not great experienceTrystNightOutDined on 4/23/2014My wife and I were excited to dine here and ended up mostly disappointed. It's a very nice historic building. The restaurant itself is very nice and warmly lit. Unfortunately, we didn't connect very well with our waitress. We were sitting near the one speaker for the whole restaurant that was turned up loud with girly pop music. Maybe want to put more than one speaker in the restaurant so three tables aren't getting all the music. Plus the explanation that its the only speaker for the restaurant does not help our dining experience. My wife's margherita flatbread was not good, had 5 pieces left and didn't take it home. I had salmon and it was fine, but risotto with it was not very tasteful.
- Nice St. Croix Valley Dining optionStarPdinersDined on 2/15/2014What a nice surprise find a new dining option in the St. Croix River Valley. We stopped in for a birthday dinner after an afternoon of outdoor activities and found it very warm and inviting. While the menu might be smaller than other destinations, there is something for everyone. We had the Norwegian roasted salmon (excellent!) and the steak (a nice treat for my husband). We shared the crème brulee for dessert -- worth saving room for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We did not eat at the CurrentOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2014We did not eat at the Current due to they were an hour behind on seating guests with reservations. We arrived at 7:45pm, for our 8pm reservations, and were told they were running behind because the kitchen was serving 3 restaurants. Guest who had 7pm reservations were still waiting to be seated. We did not want to wait that long and were worried about the food quality by time we would have been served.
- All around comical (awful)OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/14/2014When we arrived we were told that the wait would be 45 minutes to an hour despite having a reservation. We waited nearly an hour for our food once we were served and we never got our salads. When we reminded the expeditor and then our waitress about our salads, we still did not receive them for nearly 15 minutes and then we were told that they "took caesar off the menu" and that our waitress forgot. Therefore, we were given one salad instead of two well after our meals were finished. Despite implying that they support local farms, there was not one reference on the menu to the source of the food. Finally, our bill had 2 items on it that we did not order or receive.
- Good food but slow serviceNYCtransplantVIPDined on 2/14/2014Our family has been to Current several times and have always had a good experience, however, on our last visit it was Valentine's Day. Luckily we had a reservation, as the place was packed. Service was especially slow. Our appetizer (crabcakes) came quickly, and were delicious, but it took over 45 minutes for our entrees (seafood pasta, salmon & a kid's sandwich meal) to come out! And no explanation was offered by our waitress. While this experience was not our best, we'll prbably go back to Current, but will definitely stay away when it's a "holiday".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Presentation of food was beautifulfrequentdinerDined on 2/14/2014We went to the restaurant on Valentine's Day and we all (4 of us) raved about the meals and their presentation. The appetizer (spicy chicken drops) was amazing as was our dessert (vanilla bean creme brulee). Look forward to returning!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy but NummyBockenBuddyGirlDined on 1/24/2014We went to Current for the first time Friday Night (1/24/14). The restaurant is quaint with some beautiful creativity in the ambience. The noise level was high and the restaurant was not full. Perhaps that is why I got a Chardonnay instead of a Cabernet? However after drinking the Chardonnay and asking for another, I got a Cabernet added to my white wine. Our family could not hear each other at our table. The edamame was excellent! The Norwegian Salmon Entree was fabulous! My husband enjoyed the flatbread but the winner winner chicken dinner was not a winner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemRyanRDined on 1/24/2014We were pleasantly surprised. Excellent food and ambience. My only complaint concerns the waiter we had. I had ordered 2 martinis with dinner and he took it upon himself to bring me a third even though I neither ordered it nor wanted it. I thought maybe it was a mistake at the bar and he was being nice so as not to waste it. However it did show up on our bill. I was not very happy and should have said something but we had had such a nice evening otherwise I let it slide. Watch out for the waiter with the ponytail. He's sneaky.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Afton Inn and RestaurantJoshDined on 12/31/2013I recently got a gift card from my work and my dad and me decided to go for new years eve. The atmosphere was different, their was very dimmed lighting, were weren't sure what to order than seen steaks on the menu. We had a couple of appetizers first and were blown away at the quality of the food, even though it was expensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy to have found the Current!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/22/2013This was our first time dining at the Current and we thoroughly enjoyed our experience. Service and food was great and the ambiance is nice; it's a come as you are place with great decor. We were seated at a high top near the fireplace which was perfect on a nice when the snow was falling. Chicken drop app was amazing and I would have licked the plate clean if my wife would have let me. All four of us had amazing main courses as well. All in all I give this place 5 stars and I will definitely make the drive from Hastings again. To top off a great meal, I was also pleased to see a "Veteran Owned Business" sticker in the window because we like supporting vet owned business.Special Features:
- My Wedding Day LunchSadieDined on 12/7/2013Weeks in advance, I made reservations for lunch after my wedding. I made note of the occasion in my Open Table reservation and also when I spoke to them by phone. When the wedding party of ten arrived for our 1:15 PM reservation, the restaurant was quite empty and there was no hostess at the station. Instead, she was still putting our tables together. At no time did she stop and come up to us to let us know that she was still arranging the tables; just asked a server if we were the party. Our server was kind enough to replace a dish that one of the youngsters didn't like. Kudos for that. We asked for a bottle of champagne but were not given a choice, just brought a SCREW CAP bottle to the table in an ice bucket and left to pour ourselves.
- Nice Experience - OrganicAlwaysLoveQualityFoodDined on 11/28/2013Current looks to be an extension of the old Afton House restaurant. However Current is more modern in both the atmosphere and food. I love the fact that the food is locally grown and high quality organic. I could definitely tell that it wasn't your regular "processed" restaurant food. We were there for the Thanksgiving brunch and it seemed to have a Norwegian theme with Lefsa, Smoked Salmon, Whole Cranberries, plus great meat, salad and fruit choices. I think it's a good value for the money. Love the atmosphere as it's small and has a homey feel with the fireplace, dark wood, big open bar area and nice windows. Outside patio overlooks the marina (from ground level). This is such a cute quaint town that it's a nice experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodDogpersonDined on 9/29/2013Our only complaint is that it gets a little noisy but the excellent food compensates for itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date nightpiiper21Dined on 9/13/2013My fiance' and I are always impressed when we visit Currant! We still vote it best burger iin the valley. We had a very romantic table indoors looking out over a little fire burning on the patio. We chose 4 different small plates, all of which were wonderful. All iin all, we live Currant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Lies They TellOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/9/2013I called ahead of time and specifically asked if the restaurant was on the river. I was told if I sit on the patio I would see the marina and then the river beyond it. I reiterated "so it has a river view?" and said if it didn't, I would come on another night. That night I needed a river view. The answer was yes, it has a river view. I asked how it compared to the view from the Freight House in Stillwater and was told it was very similar. When I arrived I discovered the patio did NOT have a river view. Needless to say, I was a very dissatisfied customer. We had driven 45 minutes through rush hour traffic to enjoy a dinner with a view of the river. We left without dining.
- Twice Great, Third FailOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/13/2013I have been to The Current twice before and loved the food, sadly this visit my meal was not cooked and I had to send it back. The decor, service and menu selection are great! I would be hesitate to return.Special Features:
- Not so goodmopar1Dined on 5/12/2013We went there for the Mother's Day brunch. The service was terrible. The staff was very slow. After being seated we waited a long time before even getting water. Even longer to get a drink order placed. The buffet was mediocre at best. Many items were almost empty and cold. We had to wait for plates. This was at 2:00pm. The buffet went until 5:00, so there was no reason for a lack of food. I will not be returning.
- brunch was averageLoriVIPDined on 5/12/2013The food was what would be expected for a brunch menu. Nothing spectacular but also nothing terrrible. The wait staff did a good job of attending to us and to the buffet. I think a big part of the allure is the history of the building. Only disappointment was that with a $25 brunch buffet, we had to buy our mimosa's for an additional $5 each. Would have expected at least one mimosa per adult included in the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mothers Day Brunch was excellent.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/12/2013Mothers Day Brunch was excellent. The service staff was courteous and prompt. Overall great expierence.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy Food, Love Sitting OutsideEatOuterDined on 5/5/2013Our third time at the Current, always yummy food and good service. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We went the Current for "DateOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/2/2013We went the Current for "Date Night" and had a fabulous meal. Our server was attentive and helpful. We will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Fantastic Food. Server wasOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/28/2013Fantastic Food. Server was very knowledgeable. It seemed to take a long time for food to come out considering how slow it was. But, it was worth the wait. Chicken Drops are PHENOMENAL!Special Features:
- Very pleased to find quiteOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/22/2013Very pleased to find quite excellent food in this area. We had the chicken with polenta and the salmon with couscous. We thought it was simply and beautifully prepared - not overdone in any way. Simple, diverse menu. Focus on local and fresh. Loud, small and uncomfortable - not a place for a quiet evening, but really excellent food.Special Features:
- Top NotchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/24/2013Beautifully restored space within a stone's throw of the St. Croix River in beautiful Afton, MN. Amazing healthy organic food, quick and friendly service. a fine gathering place.Special Features:
- My husband and I went to theOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/15/2013My husband and I went to the Current the day after Valentine's Day and had the Prime Rib. We both agreed it was the BEST Prime Rib we have ever had. Kudos to the cook!Special Features:
- Booked a table for the dayOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/15/2013Booked a table for the day after Valentines day. I had the fish fry dinner the batter was mushy, servings were small. My wife and I had chicken wings for an appitizer with the agave glaze, they were flavorless. Over all just ok nothing to go back for or get excited about, the menu could use a few more choices on it. The service was the best experience
- overcrowded bar, badly laidOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/14/2013overcrowded bar, badly laid out seating with mismatched chairs and tables (of varying heights) ambitious menu adequately prepared but without flair, not suited to the bar atmosphere. A bad choice for Valentine's Day.Special Features:
- Service was very good, andPickyDinerDined on 2/14/2013Service was very good, and we were there on a very busy night. Our food was great. I will go again.
- The food was very good, andOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/14/2013The food was very good, and the bartender was excellent. Our server came across as being very new, but she was appropriately attentive and eager. The menu was short, and not inexpensive, but the ingredients were fresh and colorful. My wife requested her Filet Mignon at Medium - Medium Well and it was barely Medium Rare. Not a big deal and she did not send it back, but it would be expected that a chef that is orchestrating an upscale menu be able to nail that each and every time. Overall, the experience was a decent one, but I would probably choose to try another option for future fine dining.Special Features:
- What a great addition!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 1/25/2013Current is a fantastic addition to the Afton Inn. My husband and I dined here on Friday night and were quite surprised at how good it was. We had the roast beef flat bread and the Ultimate burger which was a perfect meal for us. The burger was incredible with the meat and the shredded pork on top. Oh wow!! The atmosphere was fun and lively. A great place to dine.Special Features:
- Current is our favorite easyBabsy63Dined on 1/4/2013Current is our favorite easy place to go. From the beautiful drive to the warm atmosphere, welcoming employees, great food and nice prices it is our number one choice when we decide to go out to eat. The staff is friendly and helpful. The food is delicious. Favorites include the Chicken Drop appetizer, flatbreads and the Apple Brie Sandwich. The prices are very affordable. Love it and go back often!!Special Features:
- The short rib was fabulous.FoodieSnobDined on 12/31/2012The short rib was fabulous. The bison steak was a bit tough. It was the first time we were there and will go back again. The staff was very friendly and did a nice job.
- We had dinner here on NewOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/31/2012We had dinner here on New Year's Eve. The steak and lobster feature was perfect - truly the best of both I've had in a long time. We also had the salmon and the baseball steak in our party - and everyone loved their meal. We never pass up the edamame appetizer - yum! I love Current for it's casual atmosphere, good drinks, and truly good food - and it still seems to be a little bit of a secret. :)Special Features:
- Yummy Apple Dumpling dessertOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/28/2012This restaurant is located next door to the famous Afton House Inn. We got there at 7pm on a Friday night and it was kind of dead. The service was very good. I had a glass of Malbec for $6.75 and my husband had a Summit Pale Ale in a bottle for $4.50. My mushroom linguine with chicken was ok, I didn't care for the sauce (too runny). My husband's cheeseburger was ok as well. The highlight of the night came when they brought apple dumpling dessert ($7) which was very good. We don't live in the area but my husband said that he would come here just for this. :) My dessert choice was truffles and I wasn't as happy as he was... :( P.S. Their cucumber water wasn't that bad...Special Features:
- Gem on the St CroixOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/16/2012Definitely a gem. The cooked from scratch food looked like it came off of a Food Network show and tasted even better! This isn't your average restaurant - they have created an interesting and unique menu with food combinations you won't find in other restaurants all while maintaining an organic and sustainable focus. Romantic ambiance, free parking, decent prices and gourmet food. I give it 5 stars.Special Features: