644 North Lake Shore Drive
Chicago, IL 60611Neighborhood:
Gold Coast / Streeterville
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://currentchicago.com/
- Phone: 3122554460x
- Hours of Operation:
Mon - Thu: 6:00 am - 1:00 am
Fri - Sat: 6:00 am - 2:00 am
Sun: 6:00 am - 1:00 am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Gregory Elliott
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Current
Simple, ingredient driven, Italian inspired: true to its name, the menus at Current will feature a seasonal undertone, executed with a Midwestern sensibility while paying respect and honoring the tradition and simplicity of Italian food. Chef Gregory Elliott creates inspired dishes that are hand crafted, soulful, and rustic-from house made salami, pastas, pizzas, breads, and pastries to sourcing the best local produce, fish, meat and dairy, Current has a little something for everyone.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Current reviews from OpenTable diners
9 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
vibrant bar scene (4)scenic view (4)fit for foodies (3)great for outdoor dining (3)great for brunch (2)special occasion (1)hot spot (1)neighborhood gem (1)great for lunch (1)late-night find (1)good for groups (1)Show More
- tired of sugarAandTrevVIPDined on 8/23/2014I am tired of eating sugar with my entre. This trend of putting sugar in everything is just tiresome. I would like to be able to appreciate the flavor of a good piece of meet instead of too much salt and sugar.
- Delicious Food = the Long SuitIzzyDined on 7/18/2014Food menu limited in scope. Little gluten-free. However, beet salad (though small) and marinated pork chop (large) were delicious. Drinks were especially pricey particularly the wine. The bar is beautiful and most restaurant tables in and out have a nice view of the lake. Thudding music piped outside as and in did interrupt the beautiful ambiance. Lastly, there seems to be a problem in communication for the servers, especially when working outside. It's not immediately clear who your server is since after waiting a long while to order , several different people waited on us in different ways and brought more than one of the same item. It's like no one was quite straight on who did what through all were polite and friendlySpecial Features:
- Very goodbenton1220VIPDined on 6/21/2014We ate here on a Saturday night at 7 pm and it was quite! The service was excellent. The food was very good. I am a vegetarian and I was happy with the salad I had and the three cheese tortelloni. My DH had the mixed seafood grill which he said was very good we both had tiramisu for dessert which was excellent. The decor was very modern and there is outdoor seating, which faces the very busy Lake Shore Drive. If I lived in the area I would return here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A new kind of Italian cuisine...BethVIPDined on 5/30/2014Really interesting, unusual items on the menu. Lamb Bolognese, the most incredible foccacia pizza type appetizer (we ordered it twice in the same night), wonderful meatballs, great fish, juicy pork chops. Really fine cuisine. Service was incredible and added to our experience.Special Features:
- Just openedSharonGDined on 5/20/2014I went right after this opened in early May. The good was wonderful. I would go back for sure. The waiter helped us out with food choices and drink choices and they were right on. Small restaurant as it is in the lobby of the W on Lakeshore, but great food. Definitely will go back.Special Features:
- The following 45 reviews are from the Current reviews archive.
- Great food !sandtropezDined on 11/30/2012Went because I thought it would have a view, but it's too low to the street level. But the food turned out to be fantastic. Hard to choose from many unusual combinations that all sounded good. Nice addition to this part of the inner drive.Special Features:
- Everything at Wave was wonderful.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/14/2012Everything at Wave was wonderful. We found it humorous that our server had no idea what "unoaked" wine was. He said the screw cap meant we had to drink it faster! lol! We corrected him and he was appropriately humbled. He later said he appreciated the lesson as he seriously did not know why those wines were not corked.Special Features:
- Great lakeside foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/10/2011I would call Wave fusion, not Mediterranean, but I really enjoyed my meal. Though based on a small/large plate menu, my partner and I (who eat a lot) only needed 5 plates between us. The mozzarella was the best I have had to date, with a perfectly balanced arugula, nectarine and balsamic vinegar salad. The corn ravioli, kufta sliders and steak tartare were also very well done, although a tiny bit short on seasoning. Had that been a little better, I would put this at one of my favorite meals in recent memory. I do still think about that mozzarella though... The drinks were also very well made and interesting: the manhattan is a kick in the pants. Only disappointing aspect of the night was the service: not rude/mean, just mediocre/uninformed.Special Features:
- Fairly limited menu but everythingOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/31/2011Fairly limited menu but everything we had was delicious. Octopus was especially good
- Great food, service, atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/31/2011Great food, service, atmosphere and wine list! Small menu but the items are great. The valet is a bit sketchy as they do not tell you that you need to have your ticket stamped by the restaurant in order to get the $10 for 3 hours price and they only give you a 5-7 minute grace period before that price is no longer valid and normal valet prices apply. Otherwise, very nice and would return!Special Features:
- This place is amazing. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/27/2011This place is amazing. The food is so great, the staff is knowledgeable and the ambiance is awesome. We happened to be seated at a table that you could see the fireworks from Navy Pier which was an awesome ending to a perfect night!Special Features:
- Eclectic, interesting andOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/27/2011Eclectic, interesting and fun menu, encourages sharing dishes. Friendly, helpful service. Nice to be on the lake, even with Lake Shore Drive in between.Special Features:
- I had a great birthday dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/27/2011I had a great birthday dinner at Wave with my girlfriends. Food was good and the service was excellent.Special Features:
- Our server, Jannik, was aOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/20/2011Our server, Jannik, was a terrific host-attentive, charming, refined but not stuffy. He made the night! Please ensure he receives feedback-wonderful service!Special Features:
- Wave has the classic "W HotelOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/7/2008Wave has the classic "W Hotel Appeal". It's sleek, vibrant and sexy. The food was very good. We enjoyed an eclectic mix of small plates. The flavors were unusual and well crafted and very Mediterranean. The service was very good. I would totally go back with my gal pals, sit in the window looking at the lake and have a couple of rounds of mojitos.Special Features:
- I am a semi-regular at Wave,OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/30/2008I am a semi-regular at Wave, and have dined there many times. This time food was terrible that I have suffered stomach ache the entire following day and evening. Houmus tasted 2 days old, plus had a terrible extra garlic flavor, we did not even take a bite of it. The grouper was extremely dry, tasteless, our server stopped by only one time to check on us, a manager stopped by a few times to ask how everything was, but I did not want to complain to him in front of my lady friend as it was our first date. Overall, it was very very bad experience. I have paid $130 for the food that I did not enjoy(bottle of La Crema was ok, did not finish that either) I am very upset with the sour experience. The food quality is definitely going downhill...Special Features:
- While the food tasted good,OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/4/2008While the food tasted good, the portion sizes were a bad joke. Even the amount of food recommended by the waiter would have left anorectics hungry.
- really excellent food andOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/27/2008really excellent food and nice service that deserve much more than half a hotel lounge on a ground floor.Special Features:
- Clean, modern decor. ModerateOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/23/2008Clean, modern decor. Moderate food prices for downtown hotel restaurant (perhaps due to smaller, but very adequate, portions). Drinks expensive, but good, and no skimping on liquor. Very friendly, tho unrefined, service. Dirty dishes left on table for far too long. Server (Gino) recommendations spot on. Chili prawn and heirloom tomato salad small plates very good. Calamari overbreaded and beef tenderloin on skewerw WAY oversalted. Special pomegranate chicken entree & cherry/chocolate bread pudding excellent (it was Turkey night). Next time need to ask for table on window (with lake view). Back table gave us view of setup for large party (e.g., cutting/serving cake) & rest of restaurant. Worth a second try before Chicago Shakespeare.Special Features:
- The food was very overpricedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/17/2008The food was very overpriced for the quality. I don't mind spending a lot for high quality, but this seemed like an amateurish attempt at Tapas.
- This was a horrible experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/4/2008This was a horrible experience - the kitchen had a gas leak which in turn seeped into the food making my guest and self very ill. When I called the next day to let them know I had been sick and that the food smelled funny they investigated further and found a GAPING hole in their oven. They had to shut down the kitchen and replace it that day. They offered a free meal at another of their MJ owned businesses and I did end up going to 160 Blue for my birthday later this month, but how could all the staff and kitchen assistants NOT notice the smell? I have not been able to summon my courage to go back yet.
- Menu is a vast improvementsuesVIPDined on 8/26/2008Menu is a vast improvement from what it used to be. Service was good.
- I overall rated it low becauseOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/16/2008I overall rated it low because the price was a bit much. For two the bill was over $150 without ordering a bottle of wine or much drinking or deserts. I realize it is a hotel restaurant, but that was a bit overpriced. The food was delicous and the server great. Great menu options with new twists to typical restaurant fare.Special Features:
- We always have a fun timeOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 8/1/2008We always have a fun time at the bar and the Wave restaurant! Great for friends and to show off the city as a great time.Special Features:
- The food was outstanding.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/20/2008The food was outstanding. The view was breath taking. Service was fast and friendly. The physical space, however, good use better maintenance. The floor was scuffed and chipped. Our table service was bubbled. In general, the place needs to be freshened up.Special Features:
- i thought it was like eatingOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/19/2008i thought it was like eating top chef. we had a great night. thanks.Special Features:
- The chef tries very interestingQmtwoDined on 7/19/2008The chef tries very interesting food combinations which makes the experience worhtwhile. The service was too quick. The atmosphere was inexistant which makes you want to eat and leave. The Cocktail menu seems fun but the taste is disappointing.Special Features:
- Portions were extremely small,OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/12/2008Portions were extremely small, even the large dishes. Service was slow and it was not even busy. Very expensive for the portions.Special Features:
- I was looking for somethingOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/3/2008I was looking for something more intimate. Bar and lobby were too hectic and too close. Probably better for lunch, but not for a quiet dinner.Special Features:
- our waiter, george, was veryGrayVIPDined on 6/17/2008our waiter, george, was very attentive at first , then went mia---the 2nd line service staff was excellentSpecial Features:
- Great service interestingOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/13/2008Great service interesting menu it was from Pakistan and loved the chips with yogurt rather than traditional bread. Good portion sizes with lovely presentation. Our server darryl was great.Special Features:
- We had a fantastic serverOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/31/2008We had a fantastic server and a wonderful table for our bridal shower. They treated us well and had special goodies for our party but I feel that this was the norm for the restaurant. Excellent modern restaurant with outstanding food. Expensive but definitly worth it.Special Features:
- I was so surprised, I foundOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/15/2008I was so surprised, I found Wave on a fluke and would recommend it to anyone!! We drove 2 hours from the northern suburbs, fought that terrible traffic and then felt relaxed and welcomed right away.Special Features:
- Slightly overpriced for theOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/9/2008Slightly overpriced for the portions of food...good food and excellent service.Special Features:
- Service was very poor. FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/8/2008Service was very poor. Food was okay but not outstanding. Ambience was nice.Special Features:
- The service was notable withOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/29/2008The service was notable with friendly, helpful staff. The food was completely over-rated. We were very disappointed with the flavors and the variety of food we ordered. [Chili prawns, fish and chips, hummus, lamb, and korean short-ribs] Our drinks were over-priced and mediocre as well. Unfortunately, we later wished we had went somewhere else for our last night in Chicago.
- Nothing special, food wasOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/26/2008Nothing special, food was a bit pricey but good. I didn't realize we had to order sides, I thought from the menu description it came with sides.
- Cassie was very nice! TheOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/26/2008Cassie was very nice! The food was amazing and the sangria was fabulous!Special Features:
- This restaurant was a littleOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 4/22/2008This restaurant was a little over rated in our opinion. Staff was friendly but not top notch. Wine list was far from spectacular and food selection was just OK. I think the atmosphere was very nice but definitely something missing from the overall experience that I just can't put my finger on. Probably will not return to Wave or to the W Hotel.
- Loved the waiter's personalityOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/19/2008Loved the waiter's personality but would have liked if he checked in more. He did well with recommendations and the food was OUTSTANDING!!Special Features: