Currant American Brasserie
140 W Broadway
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Downtown / Gaslamp
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Currant American Brasserie
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.currantrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (619) 702-6309
- Hours of Operation:
BREAKFAST: Monday-Friday 7-10 am Saturday and Sunday Brunch 9am-2pm LUNCH: Monday - Friday 11:30am-2:30pm DINNER: Monday-Sunday 5:00pm - 10:00pm HAPPY HOUR: Monday-Sunday 4-7pm & 9-close
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, French American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Walter Manikowski
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Kick off your weekend with $8 Lucid on Absinthe Minded Fridays with traditional table side service. Our intimate lounge offers happy hour seven days a week with half off appetizers and drink specials from 4-7pm and 9-close. Get through your Mondays at Currant with $5 vodka and gin martinis & wine down on Wednesday for half off all bottles of wine and $5 whisky. Take in views of Broadway on our French inspired heated patio any time from 11:30am to close while enjoying cocktails or our cuisine.
A word from Currant American Brasserie
New American ingenuity and soul. Excellent menu choices served in a casual and stylish environment. Menus that evoke the seasons of the year allow our guests to experience a variety culinary delights. Currant's Lounge offers twice daily Happy Hours and offers multiple televisions to view your favorite sports events.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Currant American Brasserie - Best Restaurants in Downtown / Gaslamp ›
Currant American Brasserie reviews from OpenTable diners
61 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (33)neighborhood gem (32)romantic (18)good for groups (17)great for lunch (16)great for outdoor dining (16)special occasion (14)hot spot (13)notable wine list (12)great for brunch (10)vibrant bar scene (9)late-night find (8)kid-friendly (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Great Place!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/20/2014Great atmosphere, service and ambiance. Calamari, fries and champagne cocktails were great. Loved it !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great pre theatre spotDrumanatorDined on 11/18/2014They really go out of their way to make sure you have a great meal and not feel too pressured to get out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fantastic brunch place!FedeVIPDined on 11/16/2014ummmm…. $3 mimosas….and beignets!! try those, are amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find.PitadogDined on 11/15/2014Can't say enough about this place. Hope other people enjoy it as much as my wife and I did. Food is very good French. Wonderful Begnets comfortable ambulance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect brunch spotglutenfreefoodieVIPDined on 11/15/2014Simply delicious brunch - great options for gluten-free and other dietary restrictions. Reasonable drink prices - yummy mimosas! Perfect spot downtown!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Close to civic theaterLucyDined on 11/14/2014Very close to civic theater. Loved the restaurant and ambiance. Only trouble is the outside noise from Broadway. Face of restaurant is completely open to street. If you want a quiet dinner, not the place to go. But we had a blast and food was terrific. Service was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hats off to the staffHeartsContentDined on 11/1/2014The chef cooked the steak perfectly. Rest of food was delicious too. The servers were really great. Terrific personalities. We enjoyed our meal after a very tiring day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/1/2014Currant is still one of the prettiest restaurants in San Diego. Always has been on the interior and now with the departure of the bus station and the upgrade of the Sophia hotel, the immediate surroundings are much improved. The menu does not feature as many creative dishes as when it first opened, but is still very solid. The staff is knowledgeable and friendly. The prices reasonable and after 7 plus years this is anything but a trendy, flash in the pan. It is very reliable and a great spot close to downtown theater and concert locations, but a comfortable distance from the transient Gaslamp crowd.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dining experiencekensurferwasabi1Dined on 11/1/2014Excellent and attentive staff. Service for food to come out was a little on the slower side, but our waiter was spot on in recommendations, and very friendly. Food was good, burger cooked perfectly medium as requested, extra fries as they split the burger. the calamari was crispy, but batter a little on the thicker side. Dipping sauces nothing special. Fries were excellent and mussels were juicy and perfectly cooked/steamed. Dessert choclate mousse cake was yummySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant close to CivicBobTVIPDined on 10/25/2014My wife, friends and I have been to Currant many times. We keep coming back because the food is very good and the service is always top notch. This visit was no exception. Some of us had the salmon while others had the steak. All of us enjoyed our entrees. We also tried the pear salad beforehand and it was very good. Our server, Lisa, recommended a red wine, new to Currant, and it was excellent and the price of $63 was reasonable. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- worth a tryOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/25/2014It was a fun place to try. Our waitress was very pleasant, attentive and knowledgeable. The firery brussel sprouts and wedgy salad were my favorites. Everyone in our party agreed our main dishes needed more seasoning. Trendy place with an atmosphere good for the younger set.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No ShowsSeenitalldinerDined on 10/22/2014Hi we had an issue with being seated and then ignored for 20 minutes, the place was full of a pre-theater crowd that was all in the same boat. We had to leave a note on the reception stand, which had been abandoned, and left to go to elsewhere since we had show tickets too and saw no way we'd get our food and be able to enjoy it before the curtain went up. I have eaten here before and think the food is great, but the service is ususally slow in the lunch hour but not this bad. I have never seen a restaurant do this, there was literally not a staff person in sight for a very long time, I told a bar waiter what we were doing and he was very courteous. I do want to say that my husband emailed them and they provided a very nice response.
- Pricing/QualityOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/21/2014The food was very good but over priced for what it was. I would not eat there again. There are restaurants in the area that have more reasonable pricing with food that is just as good if not better.Special Features:
- So good!ArielDined on 10/18/2014I heard Currant was delicious but it surpassed my expectations. I went with a party of 7 and we all loved it. We all had different cocktails - all were great! I could have eaten pounds of the truffle oil + Parmesan popcorn. Between all of us we ordered .. The duck, pork, steak, salad, brussel sprouts & buttercream cake (cake was to die for. Never had anything like it). Everyone cleaned thier plates. We all left stuffed and happy! Couldn't ask for more. Also, valet parking for $5 as long as you get it validated inside. Awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Atmosphere and Food Hit on All CounLaarnDined on 10/17/2014. Popcorn of the Moment is creative and inventive. Menu full of foodie lover ingredients. Atmosphere a true throw back to earlier times with ecceclectic new age vib.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LabDadVIPDined on 10/11/2014We went to Currant for an early dinner before a show at the Balboa Theater. It's right across from Horton Plaza. The decor is stylish and our server did a nice job. The food was only OK. We started with the popcorn of the day, which is a speciality. The flavors were overrun by garlic and it was just not that good (the popcorn itself wasn't even the big puffy type you usually get in a gourmet dish). Our meals were slow coming out and not anything special. Flavors, sides, sauces, everything was just short of being really good. The pricing was typical for the Gas Lamp, but given the cost we were hoping for something more than average.
- Creative Happy HourSDFunDined on 10/8/2014We appreciated that Currant had some really interesting food items on their happy hour menu not the same old, same old. Check them out on their great website! There were lots of innovative drinks and a good selection of beer and wine. Be sure to try the desserts too...yummmmmm!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Findsambro55Dined on 10/4/2014Other than my white wine being warm, the evening was excellent. Fantastic food, maybe the best onion soup in the world! Our dinner was perfect all around. However one thing I don't understand is in such a perfect setting, why are there flat screens all over? I had to asked the waiter to change the channel from cage fighting while trying to look in my lovers eyes. A little distracting. My suggestion? Turn off the TV"s! In that beautiful setting, not necessary. We'll be back.Special Features:
- Mimosa Famosa!MsMissyGourmetDined on 9/28/2014The food was very good. Traditional French offerings with the American staples available. The highlight was the carafe of mimosa, YES, a carafe! And to sweeten the deal the carafe of champagne and OJ are seperate, so you can make your mimosa your way. The carafe was $10 And we were able to get 4 "good pour" mimosas! I will be back for Sunday brunch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great downtown French restaurantcheeseDined on 9/26/2014We went here for restaurant week last minute and were very satisfied. the service was wonderful, the atmosphere was great and the food was outstanding! highly recommended duck confit and the creme brulee for dessertSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FaultlessKevBDined on 9/24/2014Excellent night from start to finish. Food, service, atmosphere. FaultlessSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serviceJohnVIPDined on 9/23/2014Had happy hour drinks and snacks. Excellent value. Then salmon dinner fennel glazed. Wild salmon was perfectly done. Fresh salad and ice cream desert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pre-show dinnerjscmeDined on 9/23/2014Pre-show dinner and they were packed. It was Restaurant week. It was a bit slow in getting seated, but we also were a little late for our reservation. Good overall service and food. We had risotto and salmon. Yummy! Plenty of time in getting to the show. We will do this again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dog friendly and classySylviaVIPDined on 9/21/2014Currant is an excellent restaurant. The patio is cleverly designed to provide maximum privacy. The wait staff was skilled and friendly, and the food was wonderful. We will be back! Also, thank you to Currant for providing a quality dining experience where we can include our family pooch.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/18/2014Kyle was my server and was spot on recommending the duck. Flavors were amazing, the confit melted in my mouth and was served with brussel sprouts and lentils. Loved the ambiance and variety of specialty cocktails too.Special Features:
- kLoved that duck!kathe90035VIPDined on 9/11/2014Wonderful food, service, and reasonable prices. What else could I ask?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A neighborhood gemSDRWFindVIPDined on 9/4/2014Great food and the wait staff is very attentive. Sit outside for a great experience!Special Features:
- First time was great!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/17/2014Our server was great and quick. My pancakes were yummy and the bacon came the way I ordered it.Special Features:
- Good food & great serviceTropicaleVIPDined on 8/16/2014We had a pre-theatre dinner there on Saturday evening. The food was wonderful and our server was excellent. All the staff was attentive and worked well together. The deserts were not great, but everything else made up for it.Special Features:
- Always great service!JaimeVIPDined on 8/14/2014Great food choices always! Service is always excellent and the location ideal.Special Features:
- Great PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014They had a really good collection of wines. The food that we ordered were really well prepared, it visually appealing as well as tasted really good.Special Features:
- luvtodineDined on 8/8/2014We arrived on Friday at 7 and the bar was full with lots of energy and too much noise to really relax and enjoy a quiet dinner so we chose to eat outside which was very nice. Our waiter, Kyle, was very friendly, helpful and very attentive. We had a very enjoyable evening. The food was very well prepared and we enjoyed it.Special Features:
- Always good2OlddinersDined on 8/2/2014Service, food quality and drinks never disappoint.Special Features:
- The following 381 reviews are from the Currant American Brasserie reviews archive.
- Love this placeNici13Dined on 7/23/2014We had an amazing time. Our waiter Kyle was friendly and knowledgeable. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Fantastic as alwaysAndreaCDined on 7/6/2014This place always blows me away. We had 10 ppl for brunch and the service and food were amazingSpecial Features:
- Great service and foodJaneDined on 7/5/2014We had reservations for dinner on July 5th on the patio with our dog but walking by July 4th decided to stop by for a drink and some popcorn of the moment. Lisa treated us with wonderful service and we looked forward to going back on the 5th. When we arrived on the 5th our table was reserved and things set up to welcome our dog. We told Lisa our favorite popcorn was the blue cheese and bacon. It was not on the menu that night but she had it special made for us. All of our food was delicious and service went above and beyond. Will be stopping by again when in San Diego.Special Features:
- great ambiencekatnapVIPDined on 6/24/2014Very elegant and relaxing dining spot, great food and reasonable prices. Try the popcorn of the day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PickydudeDined on 6/24/2014very average. Nothing noteworthy. Would not go back.
- Great food - Great ServiceArea858Dined on 6/15/2014We've been to Currant about 9-10 times now; we've never been disappointed. The food is excellent (get the stuffed chicken and Garlic & Chive tots!). The service has always been excellent. There's only one negative about the restaurants noise level, but not a deal-breaker... it can get pretty loud on Broadway (not the restaurants fault). Great place and we'll definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food unfortunately bad serviceJacquelineDined on 6/8/2014The hostess wait and server wait were long. We had appetizers and our drinks were empty. We hadn't seen the server since we ordered. We could see him leaned up against the bar chatting with a coworker. My date finally walked over to ask for refills. He asked if we wanted our bill, unaware we hadn't had our entrees, because he had never checked on us. Finally we received refills and our entrees. We asked for our check, and the server came over and asked what we ate and drank. I listed everything off while he wrote it down. He finally gave us the check. Our reservation was at 5 and we didn't leave until 6:15 because of all the waiting. I've never been asked by my server to list off my purchases so he could ring the bill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.