Currant American Brasserie
140 W Broadway
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Downtown / Gaslamp
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Currant American Brasserie
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.currantrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6197026309x
- Hours of Operation:
BREAKFAST: Monday-Friday 7-10 am Saturday and Sunday Brunch 9am-2pm LUNCH: Monday - Friday 11:30am-2:30pm DINNER: Monday-Sunday 5:00pm - 10:00pm HAPPY HOUR: Monday-Sunday 4-7pm & 9-close
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, French American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Walter Manikowski
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Kick off your weekend with $8 Lucid on Absinthe Minded Fridays with traditional table side service. Our intimate lounge offers happy hour seven days a week with half off appetizers and drink specials from 4-7pm and 9-close. Get through your Mondays at Currant with $5 vodka and gin martinis & wine down on Wednesday for half off all bottles of wine and $5 whisky. Take in views of Broadway on our French inspired heated patio any time from 11:30am to close while enjoying cocktails or our cuisine.
A word from Currant American Brasserie
New American ingenuity and soul. Excellent menu choices served in a casual and stylish environment. Menus that evoke the seasons of the year allow our guests to experience a variety culinary delights. Currant's Lounge offers twice daily Happy Hours and offers multiple televisions to view your favorite sports events.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Currant American Brasserie - Best Restaurants in Downtown / Gaslamp ›
Currant American Brasserie reviews from OpenTable diners
56 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (24)fit for foodies (23)great for lunch (18)special occasion (16)great for outdoor dining (14)romantic (13)good for groups (12)great for brunch (11)notable wine list (11)vibrant bar scene (9)hot spot (8)late-night find (6)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- kLoved that duck!kathe90035VIPDined on 9/11/2014Wonderful food, service, and reasonable prices. What else could I ask?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A neighborhood gemSDRWFindVIPDined on 9/4/2014Great food and the wait staff is very attentive. Sit outside for a great experience!Special Features:
- First time was great!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/17/2014Our server was great and quick. My pancakes were yummy and the bacon came the way I ordered it.Special Features:
- Good food & great serviceTropicaleVIPDined on 8/16/2014We had a pre-theatre dinner there on Saturday evening. The food was wonderful and our server was excellent. All the staff was attentive and worked well together. The deserts were not great, but everything else made up for it.Special Features:
- Always great service!JaimeVIPDined on 8/14/2014Great food choices always! Service is always excellent and the location ideal.Special Features:
- Great PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014They had a really good collection of wines. The food that we ordered were really well prepared, it visually appealing as well as tasted really good.Special Features:
- luvtodineDined on 8/8/2014We arrived on Friday at 7 and the bar was full with lots of energy and too much noise to really relax and enjoy a quiet dinner so we chose to eat outside which was very nice. Our waiter, Kyle, was very friendly, helpful and very attentive. We had a very enjoyable evening. The food was very well prepared and we enjoyed it.Special Features:
- Always good2OlddinersDined on 8/2/2014Service, food quality and drinks never disappoint.Special Features:
- Love this placeNici13Dined on 7/23/2014We had an amazing time. Our waiter Kyle was friendly and knowledgeable. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Fantastic as alwaysAndreaCDined on 7/6/2014This place always blows me away. We had 10 ppl for brunch and the service and food were amazingSpecial Features:
- Great service and foodJaneDined on 7/5/2014We had reservations for dinner on July 5th on the patio with our dog but walking by July 4th decided to stop by for a drink and some popcorn of the moment. Lisa treated us with wonderful service and we looked forward to going back on the 5th. When we arrived on the 5th our table was reserved and things set up to welcome our dog. We told Lisa our favorite popcorn was the blue cheese and bacon. It was not on the menu that night but she had it special made for us. All of our food was delicious and service went above and beyond. Will be stopping by again when in San Diego.Special Features:
- great ambiencekatnapDined on 6/24/2014Very elegant and relaxing dining spot, great food and reasonable prices. Try the popcorn of the day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PickydudeDined on 6/24/2014very average. Nothing noteworthy. Would not go back.
- Great food - Great ServiceArea858Dined on 6/15/2014We've been to Currant about 9-10 times now; we've never been disappointed. The food is excellent (get the stuffed chicken and Garlic & Chive tots!). The service has always been excellent. There's only one negative about the restaurants noise level, but not a deal-breaker... it can get pretty loud on Broadway (not the restaurants fault). Great place and we'll definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food unfortunately bad serviceJacquelineDined on 6/8/2014The hostess wait and server wait were long. We had appetizers and our drinks were empty. We hadn't seen the server since we ordered. We could see him leaned up against the bar chatting with a coworker. My date finally walked over to ask for refills. He asked if we wanted our bill, unaware we hadn't had our entrees, because he had never checked on us. Finally we received refills and our entrees. We asked for our check, and the server came over and asked what we ate and drank. I listed everything off while he wrote it down. He finally gave us the check. Our reservation was at 5 and we didn't leave until 6:15 because of all the waiting. I've never been asked by my server to list off my purchases so he could ring the bill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodudpumpkinDined on 6/7/2014We enjoyed our meal and drinks at Currant. The service was good (friendly but not flawless). The only downside is that it is noisy when busy. It is a relatively small place. The bar is not really separated from the dining room. Tile floors, no wall coverings, etc and you go hoarse trying to communicate with your dining companion. It is probably quieter outside but there are only a few tables available on the sidewalk.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our new favorite preshow restaurantFITfoodieintrainingVIPDined on 6/6/2014We had a wonderful pre-theater dinner at Currant! The service was prompt, and the food was delicious. Easy walking distance to the Civic Theater. We will definitely be back!Special Features:
- mts770Dined on 6/6/2014Went for dinner with friends before a show at the Civic Theatre. The restaurant was crowded but the service was relatively fast. Enjoyed cocktails, appetizer, dinner with and dessert. The food was very good and at a reasonable price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the patioJamonfoodVIPDined on 5/31/2014Great place for brunch. Love the patio. Waitress was a little scattered but overall service was fine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice and coseyDespinaVIPDined on 5/31/2014Went for brunch - portions were generous, waitress was nice, and the drinks specials were great.Special Features:
- SDVisitorDined on 5/29/2014Great food, good ambiance, and really wonderful people. I will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 368 reviews are from the Currant American Brasserie reviews archive.
- Great place for a business lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/20/2014I took a colleague to Current, based upon a friend's advice and SHE WAS RIGHT! It was a beautiful venue and the food was absolutely delicious. My friend had just read an article in the New York Times Food section about steak frites and don't you know that they were on the menu. She ordered them and share them with me. They lived up to the NY Times hype! Nicely seasoned, well-prepared and exactly what she was looking forward to having for lunch.Special Features:
- Hit & MissGourmand777VIPDined on 5/18/2014I've had several good dining experiences at Currant, but struck out the last 2 times. Best experiences have been during lunch on work days (catering to the professional crowd downtown). Evenings and weekends have been different, though. Tried the Sunday Brunch this time: food took much longer than usual to arrive, different dishes came out at radically different times (my wife's was fully 8 minutes later than everyone else's), and many items were incomplete (e.g. no butter for the pancakes, no specialty mascarpone for the French Toast). Staff were friendly and professional, but the net service was quite poor. Understaffed for the weekend, maybe? But... regular lunch menu --> grilled cheese with bacon = life-changing experience!Special Features:
- Enjoyed our dinnerFun2dineDined on 5/17/2014Convenient downtown spot, very tasty and interesting food, though portions are small for the price, in my opinion. We experienced very pleasant service. I took my elderly mom there for an early dinner on the way back from the airport. It was a little bit hip and a little bit classic elegance....perfect! $5 valet parking is especially convenient for diners who don't want to walk a long way.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very memorableextraordinary1VIPDined on 5/3/2014The food was exceptional! Service was outstanding. The décor was lacking, but ambiance was great until the patio outside became extremely busy. Definitely worth having dinner....however wine list needs to be updated and desert was lacking in texture and tasteSpecial Features:
- great placeJanislDined on 5/2/2014very nice and friendly service. Great food. Great for lunch or dinnerSpecial Features:
- good pre-theatreHollsDined on 5/1/2014Went for dinner before a show at the Civic Theatre. Great food and quick service so we had plenty of time to relax and walk to the theatre slowly. But it was kind of noisy so not great for conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent brunchmrs5tDined on 4/20/2014I've been here about ten times for brunch, and have never had a bad experience. The service is always prompt, the food is delicious and reasonably priced, and the restaurant offers $9 bottomless mimosas. Even on a relatively busy brunch day like Easter, the service was incredible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Weekend Brunch = A+bdagsDined on 4/13/2014My wife and I went here for Sunday morning brunch and it was very good. The Bloody Mary was perfect and the omelette was awesome!Special Features:
- AccomodatingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/11/2014We were too dine before the Opera. There was an accident of the freeway causing traffic. We called for we would be late for our reservation. They were very gracious and made it work. The waiter got our meal to us in time to make it to the show, but not feel rushed. My wife risotto was wonderful, and the muscles were spot on. Bravo.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceJeNaRiLeDined on 4/6/2014I was positively surprised by this restaurant. It was our first time there. there were five people in our party including one 8yo and one 14yo. Our kids like lots of different foods, so this place was perfect for them, but you should know they don't have a kids menu. Service was great, food came promptly and everything was well seasoned. Portions were perfect. We had salmon, lamb, duck, chicken, side of brussel sprouts and fried calamari.Special Features:
- Excellent food near Civic CtrJohnBVIPDined on 4/5/2014Currant has a limited menu just like a Bistro would have in Paris, but three of us ate there and with three different entrees and a shared appetizer everything was excellent. One important caveat or I would rate this place even higher, i.e. neither their menu nor their wait staff seems to fully appreciate allergies. We solved the problem by switching dishes between the three of us so the one with an allergy could avoid the problem. Since we had to make a show it was not possible to reorder. Unfortunately, when this problem was pointed to the waiter the restaurant made no attempt to adjust the bill or even offer an apology. But - in all fairness what we did manage to eat was excellent and others might not have our allergy problems.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!Velk1976Dined on 4/2/2014Needed a place for dinner before an event at Copley Symphany Hall. We got there early, had a great meal, and had plenty of time to drive and park for the event. My guest had the Char Grilled Salmon which she loved. I had the Braised Lamb Pappardelle which had a tiny kick to it and was melt in your mouth delicious. Would go back again to try something else. Service was excellent and courteous. Didn't try the wine menu, but would do so next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yummy and affordableeLLeDined on 3/22/2014I've been here a few times, mostly for brunch. Excellent food items to choose from with bottomless mimosas, can't get any better!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-Opera Dinnerjks125Dined on 3/20/2014Our group met for early dinner before a 7pm event, and enjoyed good food and great service, which allowed an easy walk to the theater. The stuffed chicken breast entrée and roasted broccolini were excellent, and the Whitehall Lane sauvignon blanc was crisp and delicious. The profiteroles for desert finished the meal nicely. Our reservation was handled well, and the restaurant location on Broadway is evocative of Parisian cafes. We will be back.Special Features:
- We were going to the BalboaAnonyDined on 3/15/2014We were going to the Balboa Theater for a concert, and were looking for a nearby place to eat. Currant American Brasserie appeared on the radar, and we made a reservation there. They had convenient valet parking. Moreover, they had a wonderful happy hour menu, from which we ordered. The mussels and onion soup were great, and the butterscotch cake was to die for. We would recommend it highly for anyone going to either the Balboa or Speckel's Theaters. Food is good, reasonable, and the service was very attentiveI would recommend this to a friend.
- Our new favorite pre-opera spotTwoOperaBuffsDined on 3/14/2014The salmon, duck with confit, and calamari were all seasoned and cooked to perfection. The succotash-squash concoction (with the salmon) was a delicious surprise. The wine list was well above average, I really enjoyed absinthe with the flaming-sugar cube, and they have and excellent selection of cocktail ingredients. The interior is comfortable and spacious. The food came out very quickly! Our server was knowledgeable and very friendly without being intrusive. We are eager to come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-Opera DiningWoosbipDined on 3/14/2014This is the second time we have dined at Currant prior to a 7pm Opera. We park at the Civic center concourse garage and it is a short walk to Currant. Service is casual, attentive and friendly. Food has been wonderful both times we've dined there. Had the Aged Duck/Duck Confit which I savored. Brussell Sprouts were cooked just right and had a bit of a "kick" to them. Prices are very reasonable too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Access to TheatersfoodloverDined on 3/13/2014People should consider Currant as a before-show or after-show eatery. Excellent food. Efficient service. Ample parking. Close to SD Rep and Spreckel's Theater.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great pre-show dinnerkrasVIPDined on 3/11/2014Had dinner here, a couple of blocks from San Diego Opera. Gracious service in an atmospheric setting. Very tasty, nicely presented dinner. Will certainly return when next in this city.Special Features: