Currant American Brasserie
140 W Broadway
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Downtown / Gaslamp
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Currant American Brasserie
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.currantrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6197026309x
- Hours of Operation:
BREAKFAST: Monday-Friday 7-10 am Saturday and Sunday Brunch 9am-2pm LUNCH: Monday - Friday 11:30am-2:30pm DINNER: Monday-Sunday 5:00pm - 10:00pm HAPPY HOUR: Monday-Sunday 4-7pm & 9-close
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, French American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Walter Manikowski
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Kick off your weekend with $8 Lucid on Absinthe Minded Fridays with traditional table side service. Our intimate lounge offers happy hour seven days a week with half off appetizers and drink specials from 4-7pm and 9-close. Get through your Mondays at Currant with $5 vodka and gin martinis & wine down on Wednesday for half off all bottles of wine and $5 whisky. Take in views of Broadway on our French inspired heated patio any time from 11:30am to close while enjoying cocktails or our cuisine.
A word from Currant American Brasserie
New American ingenuity and soul. Excellent menu choices served in a casual and stylish environment. Menus that evoke the seasons of the year allow our guests to experience a variety culinary delights. Currant's Lounge offers twice daily Happy Hours and offers multiple televisions to view your favorite sports events.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Currant American Brasserie - Best Restaurants in Downtown / Gaslamp ›
Currant American Brasserie reviews from OpenTable diners
49 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (26)neighborhood gem (23)good for groups (14)special occasion (14)romantic (14)notable wine list (13)great for lunch (11)great for outdoor dining (10)hot spot (10)late-night find (7)great for brunch (6)vibrant bar scene (6)kid-friendly (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- No ShowsSeenitalldinerDined on 10/22/2014Hi we had an issue with being seated and then ignored for 20 minutes, the place was full of a pre-theater crowd that was all in the same boat. We had to leave a note on the reception stand, which had been abandoned, and left to go to elsewhere since we had show tickets too and saw no way we'd get our food and be able to enjoy it before the curtain went up. I have eaten here before and think the food is great, but the service is ususally slow in the lunch hour but not this bad. I have never seen a restaurant do this, there was literally not a staff person in sight for a very long time, I told a bar waiter what we were doing and he was very courteous. I do want to say that my husband emailed them and they provided a very nice response.
- Pricing/QualityOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/21/2014The food was very good but over priced for what it was. I would not eat there again. There are restaurants in the area that have more reasonable pricing with food that is just as good if not better.Special Features:
- So good!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014I heard Currant was delicious but it surpassed my expectations. I went with a party of 7 and we all loved it. We all had different cocktails - all were great! I could have eaten pounds of the truffle oil + Parmesan popcorn. Between all of us we ordered .. The duck, pork, steak, salad, brussel sprouts & buttercream cake (cake was to die for. Never had anything like it). Everyone cleaned thier plates. We all left stuffed and happy! Couldn't ask for more. Also, valet parking for $5 as long as you get it validated inside. Awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Atmosphere and Food Hit on All CounLaarnDined on 10/17/2014. Popcorn of the Moment is creative and inventive. Menu full of foodie lover ingredients. Atmosphere a true throw back to earlier times with ecceclectic new age vib.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LabDadVIPDined on 10/11/2014We went to Currant for an early dinner before a show at the Balboa Theater. It's right across from Horton Plaza. The decor is stylish and our server did a nice job. The food was only OK. We started with the popcorn of the day, which is a speciality. The flavors were overrun by garlic and it was just not that good (the popcorn itself wasn't even the big puffy type you usually get in a gourmet dish). Our meals were slow coming out and not anything special. Flavors, sides, sauces, everything was just short of being really good. The pricing was typical for the Gas Lamp, but given the cost we were hoping for something more than average.
- Creative Happy HourSDFunDined on 10/8/2014We appreciated that Currant had some really interesting food items on their happy hour menu not the same old, same old. Check them out on their great website! There were lots of innovative drinks and a good selection of beer and wine. Be sure to try the desserts too...yummmmmm!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Findsambro55Dined on 10/4/2014Other than my white wine being warm, the evening was excellent. Fantastic food, maybe the best onion soup in the world! Our dinner was perfect all around. However one thing I don't understand is in such a perfect setting, why are there flat screens all over? I had to asked the waiter to change the channel from cage fighting while trying to look in my lovers eyes. A little distracting. My suggestion? Turn off the TV"s! In that beautiful setting, not necessary. We'll be back.Special Features:
- Mimosa Famosa!MsMissyGourmetDined on 9/28/2014The food was very good. Traditional French offerings with the American staples available. The highlight was the carafe of mimosa, YES, a carafe! And to sweeten the deal the carafe of champagne and OJ are seperate, so you can make your mimosa your way. The carafe was $10 And we were able to get 4 "good pour" mimosas! I will be back for Sunday brunch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great downtown French restaurantcheeseDined on 9/26/2014We went here for restaurant week last minute and were very satisfied. the service was wonderful, the atmosphere was great and the food was outstanding! highly recommended duck confit and the creme brulee for dessertSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FaultlessKevBDined on 9/24/2014Excellent night from start to finish. Food, service, atmosphere. FaultlessSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serviceJohnVIPDined on 9/23/2014Had happy hour drinks and snacks. Excellent value. Then salmon dinner fennel glazed. Wild salmon was perfectly done. Fresh salad and ice cream desert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pre-show dinnerjscmeDined on 9/23/2014Pre-show dinner and they were packed. It was Restaurant week. It was a bit slow in getting seated, but we also were a little late for our reservation. Good overall service and food. We had risotto and salmon. Yummy! Plenty of time in getting to the show. We will do this again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dog friendly and classySylviaVIPDined on 9/21/2014Currant is an excellent restaurant. The patio is cleverly designed to provide maximum privacy. The wait staff was skilled and friendly, and the food was wonderful. We will be back! Also, thank you to Currant for providing a quality dining experience where we can include our family pooch.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/18/2014Kyle was my server and was spot on recommending the duck. Flavors were amazing, the confit melted in my mouth and was served with brussel sprouts and lentils. Loved the ambiance and variety of specialty cocktails too.Special Features:
- kLoved that duck!kathe90035VIPDined on 9/11/2014Wonderful food, service, and reasonable prices. What else could I ask?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A neighborhood gemSDRWFindVIPDined on 9/4/2014Great food and the wait staff is very attentive. Sit outside for a great experience!Special Features:
- First time was great!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/17/2014Our server was great and quick. My pancakes were yummy and the bacon came the way I ordered it.Special Features:
- Good food & great serviceTropicaleVIPDined on 8/16/2014We had a pre-theatre dinner there on Saturday evening. The food was wonderful and our server was excellent. All the staff was attentive and worked well together. The deserts were not great, but everything else made up for it.Special Features:
- Always great service!JaimeVIPDined on 8/14/2014Great food choices always! Service is always excellent and the location ideal.Special Features:
- Great PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014They had a really good collection of wines. The food that we ordered were really well prepared, it visually appealing as well as tasted really good.Special Features:
- luvtodineDined on 8/8/2014We arrived on Friday at 7 and the bar was full with lots of energy and too much noise to really relax and enjoy a quiet dinner so we chose to eat outside which was very nice. Our waiter, Kyle, was very friendly, helpful and very attentive. We had a very enjoyable evening. The food was very well prepared and we enjoyed it.Special Features:
- Always good2OlddinersDined on 8/2/2014Service, food quality and drinks never disappoint.Special Features:
- Love this placeNici13Dined on 7/23/2014We had an amazing time. Our waiter Kyle was friendly and knowledgeable. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Fantastic as alwaysAndreaCDined on 7/6/2014This place always blows me away. We had 10 ppl for brunch and the service and food were amazingSpecial Features:
- Great service and foodJaneDined on 7/5/2014We had reservations for dinner on July 5th on the patio with our dog but walking by July 4th decided to stop by for a drink and some popcorn of the moment. Lisa treated us with wonderful service and we looked forward to going back on the 5th. When we arrived on the 5th our table was reserved and things set up to welcome our dog. We told Lisa our favorite popcorn was the blue cheese and bacon. It was not on the menu that night but she had it special made for us. All of our food was delicious and service went above and beyond. Will be stopping by again when in San Diego.Special Features:
- The following 378 reviews are from the Currant American Brasserie reviews archive.
- great ambiencekatnapDined on 6/24/2014Very elegant and relaxing dining spot, great food and reasonable prices. Try the popcorn of the day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PickydudeDined on 6/24/2014very average. Nothing noteworthy. Would not go back.
- Great food - Great ServiceArea858Dined on 6/15/2014We've been to Currant about 9-10 times now; we've never been disappointed. The food is excellent (get the stuffed chicken and Garlic & Chive tots!). The service has always been excellent. There's only one negative about the restaurants noise level, but not a deal-breaker... it can get pretty loud on Broadway (not the restaurants fault). Great place and we'll definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food unfortunately bad serviceJacquelineDined on 6/8/2014The hostess wait and server wait were long. We had appetizers and our drinks were empty. We hadn't seen the server since we ordered. We could see him leaned up against the bar chatting with a coworker. My date finally walked over to ask for refills. He asked if we wanted our bill, unaware we hadn't had our entrees, because he had never checked on us. Finally we received refills and our entrees. We asked for our check, and the server came over and asked what we ate and drank. I listed everything off while he wrote it down. He finally gave us the check. Our reservation was at 5 and we didn't leave until 6:15 because of all the waiting. I've never been asked by my server to list off my purchases so he could ring the bill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodudpumpkinDined on 6/7/2014We enjoyed our meal and drinks at Currant. The service was good (friendly but not flawless). The only downside is that it is noisy when busy. It is a relatively small place. The bar is not really separated from the dining room. Tile floors, no wall coverings, etc and you go hoarse trying to communicate with your dining companion. It is probably quieter outside but there are only a few tables available on the sidewalk.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our new favorite preshow restaurantFITfoodieintrainingVIPDined on 6/6/2014We had a wonderful pre-theater dinner at Currant! The service was prompt, and the food was delicious. Easy walking distance to the Civic Theater. We will definitely be back!Special Features:
- mts770Dined on 6/6/2014Went for dinner with friends before a show at the Civic Theatre. The restaurant was crowded but the service was relatively fast. Enjoyed cocktails, appetizer, dinner with and dessert. The food was very good and at a reasonable price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the patioJamonfoodVIPDined on 5/31/2014Great place for brunch. Love the patio. Waitress was a little scattered but overall service was fine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice and coseyDespinaVIPDined on 5/31/2014Went for brunch - portions were generous, waitress was nice, and the drinks specials were great.Special Features:
- SDVisitorDined on 5/29/2014Great food, good ambiance, and really wonderful people. I will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for a business lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/20/2014I took a colleague to Current, based upon a friend's advice and SHE WAS RIGHT! It was a beautiful venue and the food was absolutely delicious. My friend had just read an article in the New York Times Food section about steak frites and don't you know that they were on the menu. She ordered them and share them with me. They lived up to the NY Times hype! Nicely seasoned, well-prepared and exactly what she was looking forward to having for lunch.Special Features:
- Hit & MissGourmand777VIPDined on 5/18/2014I've had several good dining experiences at Currant, but struck out the last 2 times. Best experiences have been during lunch on work days (catering to the professional crowd downtown). Evenings and weekends have been different, though. Tried the Sunday Brunch this time: food took much longer than usual to arrive, different dishes came out at radically different times (my wife's was fully 8 minutes later than everyone else's), and many items were incomplete (e.g. no butter for the pancakes, no specialty mascarpone for the French Toast). Staff were friendly and professional, but the net service was quite poor. Understaffed for the weekend, maybe? But... regular lunch menu --> grilled cheese with bacon = life-changing experience!Special Features:
- Enjoyed our dinnerFun2dineDined on 5/17/2014Convenient downtown spot, very tasty and interesting food, though portions are small for the price, in my opinion. We experienced very pleasant service. I took my elderly mom there for an early dinner on the way back from the airport. It was a little bit hip and a little bit classic elegance....perfect! $5 valet parking is especially convenient for diners who don't want to walk a long way.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very memorableextraordinary1VIPDined on 5/3/2014The food was exceptional! Service was outstanding. The décor was lacking, but ambiance was great until the patio outside became extremely busy. Definitely worth having dinner....however wine list needs to be updated and desert was lacking in texture and tasteSpecial Features:
- great placeJanislDined on 5/2/2014very nice and friendly service. Great food. Great for lunch or dinnerSpecial Features: