Cull and Pistol
75 Ninth Avenue
New York, NY 10011Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Cull and Pistol
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cullandpistol.com/
- Phone: 6465681223x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 3:30pm, Sunday: 11:30am - 4:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Cull and Pistol
Cull & Pistol is a restaurant project from the team behind The Lobster Place, one of New York"s finest seafood purveyors for over 40 years. Cull & Pistol pays homage to the fishmonger traditions and culinary diversity of New York through a seasonal raw bar, innovative seafood dishes with global influences and diverse selection of wine and craft beers. Located in Chelsea Market, Cull & Pistol aspires to become a neighborhood staple through a menu and atmosphere that delivers a truly fresh dining experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Cull and Pistol - Best Restaurants in Chelsea ›
Cull and Pistol reviews from OpenTable diners
41 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (30)neighborhood gem (14)great for lunch (10)special occasion (9)hot spot (7)romantic (6)vibrant bar scene (5)late-night find (3)notable wine list (2)great for brunch (2)good for groups (1)Show More
- All Around WonderfulMsJessicaBDined on 10/14/2014My cousin and I are seafood lovers and decided to check out Cull and Pistol. The food was elegant, and delicious, the service was simply wonderful, attentive, not to pushy. We felt like we were sitting at someone's table being fed exceptional food while we sat and caught up on our lives. Really great from start to finish. Looking forward to next time.Special Features:
- RichardVIPDined on 10/10/2014Might have the best Happy Hour oyster deal in the city. Small dinner menu, freshest fish and seafood anywhere and totally unpretentious. We try to be there once a month.Special Features:
- great service great foodBigmaBrooklynDined on 10/3/2014great service great food for our get-together. we loved seafood and they didn't disappointed. But Impressed. Also service is thumbs-up!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lively restaurant, decent foodJennDined on 10/3/2014We were a group of 5 and ordered the oysters, Thai squid salad and clam toast to share. The oysters and the clam toast were a bit salty, but the flavours were quite good. The Thai squid salad on the other hand was too bland and not tasty at all. For my main, I had the salt baked whole fish which was delicious. My only complaint would be the way they served it, which was on the bed of salt which it was cooked in. Although it looked very impressive, it was a bit challenging to eat as you want to avoid the salt which would sometimes crumble into the fish as you cut it. Ambiance was great but felt a bit cramped.Special Features:
- Love the food, not the tempoWLNY7VIPDined on 9/27/2014The menu was great and so was the execution. The A/C was strong and pointed directly at the table - within a very short time our food was cold and much less enjoyable than when it first arrived. Our server was nice, but after she cleared our main course she asked if we wanted anything else - we thought they didn't serve desserts since she completely skipped that step and wanted to give us the check. She also cleared our plates while we were still eating the fries (no where near finished). When we asked her if there is dessert, we realized there was a good selection. They were not closing yet and there were other diners there still eating - so we were not sure why they seemed to be rushing us.Special Features:
- Great food but too noisyUrubuMalandroDined on 9/26/2014Great food and service but too noisy. Felt cramped in and the sound level was overwhelming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fresh, delicious and fast.eatforfunDined on 9/20/2014Can't wait to go back there again! ! Staff was attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice maitre d; great oystersVisitingdomDined on 9/20/2014We acquiesced to earlier seating and maître d provided comp wine. Oysters were superb and great variety; lobster just right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BonnieVIPDined on 9/19/2014We have been trying to get to Cull & Pistol since it opened and finally we did. Discounting how small it is, we have nothing but accolades: the food (little necks on the half shell, clam toast and both kinds of lobster rolls); the drinks (white wine and mignonette martinis); the service (prompt and professional). We will return.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodCfoodluvrDined on 8/23/2014The service was excellent too. The experience exceeded my high expectations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and HospitalityOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/22/2014From the minute we entered we were welcomed and well cared for. The food was delicious and creative. The menu had good variety and there was a great wine list. Most of all the service was beyond excellent!Special Features:
- YUM!ZhamaDined on 8/20/2014I'd been wanting to try Cull and Pistol for a while, and so happy when I finally made it over! All the food was incredibly delicious-- my friend and I got the Thai squid salad, corn, king crab spaghetti, and CT style lobster roll. I highly recommend it all! My only major disappointment was that they had run out of the Clam Toast, which was the main thing that I had come to try. I couldn't quite understand how one of their most popular items could be out when it was a weekday, very early dinner! In any case, all the more reason to go back. On top of the incredible food, their waitstaff and service was impeccable.Special Features:
- Better the First TimesanycDined on 8/12/2014I returned to Cull and Pistol after a fabulous meal a few months ago and was disappointed. Service was great, same nice ambience but the food was not as good. Great oysters and Beet & Goat cheese salad. Clam toast was good and we were brought a complimentary clam toast after finding shell in the first one. Sadly there was shell in the second one as well. Other than the Fish and Chips, the rest of us found our entrees too salty and disappointing.
- orpheeVIPDined on 8/11/2014Had a great dinner on my birthday, and foot was great. Some if us had grilled lobster - delish - and others had lobster rolls. So yummy! Restaurant was super nice and gave me a complimentary glass if prosecco and dessert for my BD.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EhOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/12/2014While the food was good, the entree portions are VERY small (except for the clambake which the next table had). While this is fine for a summer meal, it would not satisfy a hungry person. The service is SLOW. There is no bread offered. So it you come hungry, be prepared to wait. The service from the raw bar may be speedier, but I did not indulge.
- Great experienceFoodie826Dined on 6/26/2014Very accommodating and delicious food. Location is a bit hidden but it's a gem for sure. Food presentation is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service matches CuisinekelouiseDined on 6/25/2014One of our best dining experiences in a long time. We are tourists, and the size of our party kept changing, requiring many calls with the reservationist who was the maitresse de. When we finally arrived, she greeted us like long lost friends, led us to our table, and we began our adventure with some of the most delicious seafood ever. It didn't hurt that our waitress was also fabulous, recommending a sparkling Gruener Veltliner that I'd never seen on a wine menu, but which was perfect with everything we ordered - oysters on the half shell, pistols on horseback (great fried oyster prep), clambake, fish in salt crust. Everything about our experience was fantastic and helped make our stay here memorable.Special Features:
- The following 69 reviews are from the Cull and Pistol reviews archive.
- Great seafood at a reasonable priceAHK212VIPDined on 6/21/2014My friends and I were so glad that we tried Cull and Pistol!! Between all of us we had oysters, crab legs, whole lobsters, the CT lobster roll, fries and asparagus. We loved everything!! Having said that I probably would not get the crab legs again. I get that they come from the sea but they were over the top salty (but that didn't stop us from eating all of them!). Definitely make a reservation!!Special Features:
- Seafood+++EatlingerVIPDined on 6/21/2014Nice spot tucked into Chelsea market. Excellent Raw Bar and Super Service!Special Features:
- Just loved it all!Mayfly100Dined on 6/7/2014First time. Oyster selection was great, fresh, tasty. Ordered more and more. Also had salt crusted baked Dorade which was perfectly prepared along with a side of asparagus and a octopus salas with fresh frisée lettuce. Waiter and staff were all very friendly and courteous and didn't rush us. Made 5:30 dinner reservation. Seated in the back area at table rather than bar which was great. Empty when we arrived packed when we left- wonderful experience in Chelsea market will return for happy hour $1 per oyster. Two of us had wine , beer, dinner and dessert for $180 with tip and felt we got great value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh seafoodNYCeaterVIPDined on 6/6/2014I have eaten here on multiple occasions. Never a disappointment. Always tasty fresh seafood. Great deviled eggs. The wine list is limited, but this is a small venue, so the tradeoff for fresh seafood is worthy compromise. No bread served and the food takes a while, so get there before your hunger kicks in.Special Features:
- Cull and Pistol was oktalnycDined on 6/6/2014I was not impressed, but the food was decent and the apple tart desert was the best!Special Features:
- Fresh Seafood, Casual EnvironmentPBuntingDined on 6/5/2014Ate dinner here last night and really enjoyed the entire experience. For two of us we ordered a small sample of oysters and clams, split two appetizers (clam toasts and shrimp mole tacos) and split a lobster roll. The raw selections were fresh and good and the lobster roll was well above average and delicious. What blew me away though was the Clam toast, this was absolutely delicious. Plump clams with a delicious garlicky spread on ciabatta nothing was better. I wasn't pleased with the shrimp mole tacos but I really ordered them because who I came with wanted them, a little too spicy. Atmosphere was nice, tables are a little close together but nothing you aren't used to from other restaurants. Music was great. Overall great time.Special Features:
- Sooo GoodBarbVIPDined on 5/31/2014We so enjoyed the fish. Unusual and excellent preparation. Had the tuna collar and the taste was so rich. A big surprise. However, a roll would have been nice.Special Features:
- Great place!Writer443Dined on 5/30/2014The food here is terrific and so is the service. Everything is so fresh and exciting. However, it was very noisey at 6:30 pm on a Friday night and it was hard to hear each other.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oyster HeavenOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/29/2014Great spot for Oysters and raw bar, We have tried the Cull and Pistol a few times this year and have always enjoy the food and the service is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lobster drawcgdinesDined on 5/27/2014Intent on having lobster, tried the suggested grilled 1-1/2 lobster as noted in a recent article, however I found it too charred and smoky as I tried to suck the meat out of the legs. Prefer steamed. The Asparagus with olive and kumquat side and the Shrimp Mole Tacos starter were delicious. Great stop if you are in the Chelsea Market area. My friend and I are on a limited budget, decided to split all, were graciously accommodated. And the Deep Chocolate Ganache dessert was heavenly.Special Features:
- Deliciou seafoodEllenDined on 5/24/2014After the tourists have left this is a fabulous casual delicious seafood spot. Great lobster rolls, fish and chips Because it is a part of the lobster place next doorbthe fish is amazingly fresh and well prepared. Perfect spot for a simple dinner
- Yummy, skinny, FishDeliciousNewYorkVIPDined on 5/19/2014The fish was quite delicious. I had a wonderful starter of the asparagus side, then the shrimp tacos with mole sauce, which were also good- but really skimpy- in 2 tacos 4 tiny shrimp. True it was an appetizer, but still, more of an 'amuse bouche'. My boyfriend got the lobster roll, Maine style- Also delicious, but not so generous either. The restaurant is narrow, it was not crowed when we were there, which was nice. The music in the back ground was mostly tango, atmospheric which we liked a lot.
- tensVIPDined on 5/13/2014went there for dinner with my husband after work one night. I place was packed so i was happy that we made a reservation in advance. We started with the clam toast, which was amazing! I ordered the Maine Style lobster roll and my husband ordered the Connecticut Style and we loved both, but I would have to say that I prefer the Maine style. We will for sure be coming back to this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall good experiencegoodcDined on 5/13/2014Did not like the shrimp tacos but the Connecticut Lobster roll was YUM!!! A consideration: expand the wine and drink list
- unicrazybichonVIPDined on 5/9/2014very good uni pasta. i am always on the lookout for uni pasta/spaghetti. the oyster seletion was also decent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EhNativenyerDined on 5/5/2014The restaurant was nice and the staff was welcoming and properly attentive- but the food was only so-so. Not horrible, but inconsistent and poorly seasoned.
- DELICIOUS seafood!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/1/2014I had heard about this place from plenty of friends but never had the opportunity to try it myself....boy, didn't know what I had been missing out on! I had the devil's egg trio and fish and chips and my 2 friends had the oysters and lobster. Everything looked and tasted amazing, it was a fabulous lunch. I would go back there again in a heartbeat so that I can try all their other seafood selections.Special Features:
- mary72Dined on 4/24/2014They give to Others our table bacuse we arrived with 10 minutes of delay and we can't stand in the table they offer beause we were we 2 children and it was very hard.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good seafoodJennDined on 4/12/2014Staff was very pleasant, polite and friendly. The oysters took quite a while to come after ordering, perhaps just busy. Very fresh oysters. The octopus salad was rich and had a nice spice to it. The lobster toll, buttery and delicious, so was the grilled lobster, moist and succulent. Pricey, but the quality of food was worth it.Special Features:
- Fresh oystersFoodieDined on 4/9/2014Oysters were great - super fresh. Lobster roll with the fries was scrumptious. Don't order the uni, it tasted pretty gross. The miso cod was overcooked so I didn't enjoy that one. Overall a good experience. I couldn't stop thinking about their lobster roll. I don't know if they beat Luke's lobster in this but they come pretty close.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy but nice.PeanutDined on 4/4/2014High quality seafood meets the bar. If noise and tight space meets your needs than this is it. However I have enjoyed the food several times. Once for brunch when the noise was ok until after the first 1/2 hour of opening no one could hear.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Seafood & ServiceYoliVIPDined on 3/28/2014We read about this restaurant at Chelsea Market and thought that we would try the $1 Oysters at the 4 to 6 pm Happy Hour. We arrived around 5 pm, waited around 15 minutes and then were seated at a bar table. Fabulous service, fabulous oysters and great wine options! This was so good we decided to come back an hour later for dinner. Dinner was also great! Crab & citrus salad, Fish & Chips and Lobster Rolls were fabulous! This restaurant did not disappoint! The service at dinner was just as good as the happy hour. We look forward to returning on our next visit to NY.Special Features:
- Quick mealOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/27/2014Great food, attentive service and very accommodating. Only thing was the noise level of the music was a little high for such a small restaurant and how close the tables are -- food made up for it and very nice servers/host.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.