Culinary Arts Restaurant
492 McClurg Road
Boardman, OH 44512Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Culinary Arts Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.culinaryac.com/index.html
- Phone: 3309655899
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Mark Canzonetta
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Private Party Facilities: Let CA Restaurant host your next private event and help create memories of a lifetime. Whether you are planning a corporate event, birthday party, bridal or baby shower, our unique state of the art facility is the perfect venue for your next event. Our executive chef and event specialist will work closely with you to create the perfect menu and custom designed event tailored to your needs.
- Private Party Contact: Event Specialist 3309655899
A word from Culinary Arts Restaurant
Open Wednesday, Thursday & Friday Beginning June 1st. Open Saturdays. Patio Now Open!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Culinary Arts Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Boardman ›
Culinary Arts Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
46 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (29)romantic (23)fit for foodies (21)neighborhood gem (12)late-night find (11)great for outdoor dining (10)good for groups (10)hot spot (8)notable wine list (8)vibrant bar scene (7)scenic view (4)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Third Time Not So CharmingRandBDined on 9/13/2014Six of us had 6:30 p.m. dinner reservations. Our waitress was inattentive. We ordered appetizers, drinks, dinner and dessert. We never got dessert. Approaching the third hour into our dining experience, we asked for the check and said to keep the dessert. During the three hours, we watched our waitress take good care of the lucky people in the booths to either side of us. The hostess took the drinks off of our check as a token to make up for the "ordeal." We've been here three times and there won't be a fourth. We can be neglected for a lot cheaper at a chain restaurant.Special Features:
- Less Than ImpressedWinendineDined on 9/13/2014This was our first visit to the CA Restaurant, and probably our last. The ambiance was nice, food was good, but we were surprised at the (lack of) hospitality. We were looking forward to a nice evening with good friends we rarely have an opportunity to visit. We were informed there was a 2-hour limit for table seating, and 115 minutes into our dinner we were advised it was time to leave (though there were empty tables). Really?? More than once we had to turn away someone trying to remove our plates while we were still finishing the meal. We felt so rushed I am not sure we would have had time to eat dessert had we ordered it. We have dined at restaurants around the world, and never had an experience like this before.
- Best place to eat in the ValleykittenkimDined on 9/6/2014Finally, a restaurant in the Mahoning Valley that isn't a steak house or Italian restaurant; is visually modern and beautiful; has an eclectic menu (finally someplace that serves duck!); has a great bar and a nice outdoor space that doesn't overlook a parking lot; has an open kitchen; is reasonably priced; and serves great food.Special Features:
- joelDined on 9/5/2014Interesting, but hot next to kitchen. Beautiful wine storage area, nice dinning room, service very friendly, but food lacking and rarely warm enough. Small plates: Lobster bisque v good but not warm enough. French fries in duck fat - excellent. rolled eggplant - so much garlic, my husband loves garlic but could taste (suffer) it for hours after. Main: Duck with Udon noodles - duck wonderful,sauce good (spicy as listed) but noodles - drenched in teryaki - too salty to eat. Salmon v good, sides ok. Lobster spaghetti - ok sauce, lobster so overdone it was rubbery. J. was hungry enough to eat some, left most. half price taken off bill. We all had bad tastes in our mouth/stomaches after dinner, would not dream of trying the desserts. (Rita)
- Hidden gem for Youngstown areaFoodtravellerDined on 8/30/2014This upscale restaurant is tucked anonymously away in quiet industrial nowheresville and has a low advertising profile. Don't let the street view fool you. It is a classy, lovely place. While not exotic, the menu has good range: beef, pork, chicken, duck and seafood. Our table had small plates of rock shrimp, greens, lobster bisque and entres of Mongolian BBQ, lobster tail, and strip steak - all nicely presented and quite good. Open kitchen is eye catching and fun and menu w pizzas can accommodate younger palettes. While we dined indoors, patio dining looks ideal for romantic intimacy, and separate bar indoors good for drinks and more casual dining. We will certainly return. If you're a Youngstown area foodie, you must go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful Night!janeyekDined on 8/23/2014Went there to hear one of our favorite jazz singers and celebrate a birthday and what a find! Ambiance was beautiful, service staff was great. The only disappointment was two of the appetizers, one of the entrees and two of the desserts were not available...so that meant they must have been amazing! The food we got was beautifully plated and delicious! Very high end/high style venue with a great price! Have already recommended it to several friends and we are planning on going back in a couple of weeks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- so close...DinoDined on 8/23/2014Too loud. Open kitchen cool to look at, but ruins the intimacy of what otherwise could be a very romantic mood. Wine list is mediocre and doesn't list vintage. Wine is not proper temperature. Good is outstanding. Next time I'll sit in the lounge.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DissappointingDissappointedDined on 8/20/2014The atmosphere was really nice and the appetizers were very good. Unfortunately, my fish was way undercooked. I couldn't even eat it. They gave me a free dessert but I had to pay for the fish I didn't eat. I basically paid top dollar for well plated rice. If they had removed the food from my bill I wouldn't have been upset but charging me for raw fish was unacceptable to me.
- Will most likely not go back!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/16/2014Although we had a reservation for 4, we were seated in the bsr area and told the main dining room was full. We were then told we would have a 2 hr wait for the main dining room. When we left, there were still several tables that remained vacant. Unacceptable! The bar area was loud and service was almost non existant. Food has been better, this was not the 1st visit for us, but will most likely be the last.
- The finest dining in Yo. area.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014The menu was interesting. Preparation and presentation ...superb. All this accomplished in a relaxed atmosphere.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden gemQuest4SixDined on 8/8/2014I don't think many people know about this place, but that's a good thing. CA is a truly wonderful fine dining restaurant hidden from Nola view. I took my wife there on our anniversary and she was amazed by the ambiance, service and food. The filet is the best I have ever tasted! Would highly recommend this place...it doesn't seem like it should be in Youngstown that's how good it is.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Some good dishes but . . .BPGourmetDined on 8/7/2014Had fine mahi mahi and pecan and tasty shortcake dessert. Beet salad was good but only about 10 thin slices. Big complain is the chairs. Cheap plastic chairs suitable for a college seminar instead of a relaxing 2 hour dinner for mature adults. Also, tables are Ikea quality for a school cafeteria.Special Features:
- A Gem!RandBDined on 8/6/2014The atmosphere is unparalleled! The food is delicious (salmon) and the Tiramisu is outrageously scrumptious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very creative menu!cook4meDined on 8/2/2014Many interesting things on the menu, quite a few Japanese-inspired items, but steaks are there as well. Such a welcome change from all the mediocre places in the area. Moved here from the East Coast, and had our pick of great places out there. Here, not so much. This place is a great find. I give them a lot of credit for trying creative dishes. Very high noise level, both in restaurant and bar. Apparently they were going for an industrial/urban vibe, or they didn't hire an interior designer. Just need to drape the black ceiling in black fabric, and put fabric panels above each banquette. How hard can that be? We will be regulars, maybe with earplugs.Special Features:
- Culinary Arts is best in the areaSparky1kDined on 8/1/2014The Culinary Arts restaurant is the best restaurant in town. The food is always fabulous. The atmosphere is similar to a NY restaurant. The service we have received had always been very good. We love to watch the team cook too. We have recommended this restaurant to many of our friends and all our special occasions are celebrated there.Special Features:
- Great experienceBillDined on 7/31/2014My wife and I were celebrating our wedding anniversary this past week. She had been there once before with friends, while I had never been there before. What a surprise! Good wine selection and I can say the sea bass was fabulous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for all OccasionsCharlieo51Dined on 7/30/2014We found everything fantastic. planning another dinner very soon. I was surprised how reasonable the prices were for such a beautiful dinning experience. THANK YOUSpecial Features:
- Hidden GemJac566Dined on 7/24/2014I've been trying to get my husband and our friends to come here for so long, but they still had the idea that it was a cooking school with demonstrations. We finally went last Weds and it was everything I've been reading about and more! Everyone was in awe of the ambiance and the food and service were fantastic! We ate outside on a gorgeous patio with a metro flair. You would never know you were on McClurg road! The food was delicious. We ordered a variety of items to share and we're not disappointed by any of it. Their wood fired pizza ans shrimp appetizer were our favorites. You have to go to this place if you've never been....you won't be disappointed. We even booked reservations next week for my friend's 50th! Can't wait!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not ImpressedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/5/2014The restaurant is very impressive to look at. The food not so much.
- Nice night out.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/21/2014Our meal was very enjoyable as was the service. We are looking forward to a return visit.Special Features:
- I cant believe I was in Youngstowngoodeats4uDined on 6/12/2014I have traveled several times to the Youngstown area and have been very disappointed by the selection of "Upscale Italian Restaurants" that have been suggested to me. My last trip the Hotel recommended the CA Restaurant and I was blown away by the atmosphere and vibe almost South Beach meets trendy Manhattan hot spot. The food was outstanding, I had Imported Burrata & Prosciutto, Thai curry Mussels and Lobster Spaghetti that was served perfectly al dente. I cant wait to go back and explore the rest of the menu as my server said they are known for their fresh fish and hand cut steaks. Hopefully Youngstown's "Italian" restaurants take notice to what simple things like actually boiling water and cooking fresh pasta can do!Special Features:
- Great Food, Great peoplebrentsmithDined on 6/7/2014The restaraunt is a must to those looking for something different. Very good food and great servisce.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 42 reviews are from the Culinary Arts Restaurant reviews archive.
- CA restaurant best in Y-Town areaSparky1kDined on 5/30/2014This restaurant is probably the best in our area. The food is absolutely great. The service we had on a Friday night was very good. We were seated right next to the open kitchen. The dining room can be loud with the acoustics and the open kitchen but we had no problems talking amongst ourselves and heating each other. This is an expensive but very, very good restaurant.
- Quite pleasingIvanhoe39Dined on 5/7/2014Wasfirst time at Culinary Arts Restaurant. Very nice interior and the menu was loaded with interesting items. Adequate wine list. Our waitress (Whitney) was attentive and superior. Will recommend this restaurant highly.Special Features:
- One of our favoritesMarilynDined on 5/2/2014We just learned of CA about a year ago and since then we have been back many times. The dining room is very sleek, as are the table settings. It is a very different atmosphere for the Youngstown area. The food has been consistently good. Same menu with very few added specials. We know what we like and come there to get it. Salads are big so we share. The rock shrimp appetizer is delish! The chocolate dessert is excellent. Our only criticism is that it gets very noisy. We are older, so it's hard to hear when it's full. . Pretty small complaint for a wonderful restaurant. The wait staff has always been very professional too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not great experienceColin23Dined on 4/23/2014First off this restaurant has all the potential to be great. The wait staff is excellent and attentive. Good wine list. They take chances with menu trying different things. Korean bulgogi was just ok n portion was small but i was impressed they tried. The steak my wife had was fantastic. Unfortunately they seem to think they are better than their customers at times. I have called to make reservations in the past n been told to callback in an hour. as the person who picked up the phone didn't wasn't able to help me. Our hostess in a restaurant that was completely empty tried to seat the two of us at the smallest table/bar table in the entire restaurant. Intrigued as to where she thought we were going to eat our food Lots of potentialSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Took me away!weejammerDined on 4/18/2014The best thing I can say about CA is that I felt that we were on a trip to another city with wonderful restaurants......like CA! Friendly hostess, barmaid and server, potent potables, superb appetizers and outstanding meals. We've been there many times, and the experience never disappoints. A hidden gem, on McClurg Road!Special Features:
- Excellent Atmosphere & FoodEricDined on 4/12/2014Open kitchen very cool! Hangs with top notch metro restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were a group of six, theyFireblondeDined on 4/10/2014We were a group of six, they invited us to sit in the private wine room. It was great. Food , menu selection, and service all outstanding. But the ambience really makes you feel like your in a big city somewhere . Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definitely give it a tryPurlinlindaDined on 4/5/2014Had a wonderful dinner at Culinary Arts last Saturday night. I had the salmon with orange fennel salad. This was the best salmon I have ever eaten in a restaurant. A little crispy on the outside and tender and juicy on the inside. My husband had the coffee rubbed pork and he said it was very good. Oyster appetizer was delicious. For dessert we had raspberry creme brulee and it was very creamy and delicious with brown sugar topping. We had the least expensive bottle of cab-believe it was Josh Cabernet. It was $26 and very good. Our seating was near the kitchen and I found it very interesting to watch the prep and delivery of food. Our waiter was excellent. He was very knowledgeable about the menu and wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great time every time!chrisDined on 4/4/2014A perfect meal every time! Great service and bartenders too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Fresh Local FoodsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/4/2014We enjoy eating locally produced foods and our meal was excellant. It's also interesting watching the food being prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cool placeRalph1Dined on 3/28/2014Nice place to feel like your in a large city!! The bartenders and waitresses where outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I was very happy with ourOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/26/2014I was very happy with our visit to CA, The serve was very good and the food was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A surprise for the neighborhoodMattDined on 3/22/2014We sat close to the bar which was quite energetic so noisier than I would like (further inside might be quieter). Food was quite good. Had the Korean BBQ bulgogi was charred a little more than I would like but marinated well. The Pappardelle tasted good. Had duck frites appetizer which had a very good flavor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Out of the ordinary EXTRAORDINARYWrickDined on 3/8/2014CA provides a big city vibe backs up the ambience with an exceptional menu but manages to maintain a friendly personal experience. The wait-staff is well trained , knowledgable and hardworking. They work very hard to provide personal service and remain out of focus never interfering with conversations or getting too personal. I always leave satisfied knowing that my time and money have been well spent. CA May be the finest dining establishment in the city and I typically dine out 4 or 5 times each week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Was worried at first but food was eReviewer1Dined on 3/8/2014We were seated promptly but in the bar-beautiful and fun but not for 6 to talk and have dinner. It was loud and people standing in front of our table so had to look their back side while we ate. Didnt order appetizers, 3 ordered salads $7 each. Caesar was a joke 3-4 pieces of lettuce with a crouton on each. Pear pecan was fine but hardly any pecans and dressing. Beet salad was the best with good feta on top. Took the waitress a while to get back to us for rest of order. We ordered salmon, Ahi tuna, beef, duck and sea bass. It took the meals a while to come out but all were outstanding. Again took waitress a while to bring checks. Would recommend but make sure you have time and request dining room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really like the food and decorOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/8/2014Really like the food and decor of this place. This area of Ohio is trash heap and this makes you feel like you are in a trendy Chicago restaurant. The food is by far the best I've had outside of a major city; my fish was cooked perfectly. I can't explain how simple the dish was, but how unbelievable it was. Something needs done to section off permanently the bar and the dining area. Throughout the nite there are constant dudes in the middle of their midlife crisis peering in with their umbrella drink and scoping the dining area. A. Stay on the bar side and hit up the 80's haired 3 times divorcees in your wheelhouse, and B. buy a shirt that fits and lose the embroidered jeans. Place is awesome for food and vibe, not for intimate quietness.Special Features:
- The service was terrible .ItcindyDined on 3/8/2014The service was terrible .It was hard to get your water glass refilled. My husbands meal was overcooked,we were served coffe had to ask another waitress for cream because ours completely forgot the second she walked away from our table ,we watched her go back and forth and never even glanced our way.Special Features:
- review of CALPCCDined on 2/28/2014Excellent ambience,food is very good,but I think the future for this restarant is problematic.Hostess did not make us feel welcome,waitress,blond haired woman was marginal at best,seems unhappy,and the boys were rather intrusive,asking to take plates away every five minutes.I don't mind paying the price for good food and good service,but I felt this was poor value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.