Culina Modern Comfort Food
295 Herlong Ave.
Rock Hill, SC 29732Neighborhood:
Global, InternationalPrice: $30 and under
Culina Modern Comfort Food
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://restaurantculina.com/
- Phone: 8033235000x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday through Saturday 5-10pm
Brunch: Sunday 10-2pm
Happy Hour: Tuesday through Friday 5-7pm
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Global, International
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
A word from Culina Modern Comfort Food
Culina is independently owned and operated. Culina is a certified green operation.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Culina Modern Comfort Food - Best Restaurants in Rock Hill ›
Culina Modern Comfort Food reviews from OpenTable diners
11 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (4)fit for foodies (4)great for lunch (2)romantic (2)great for outdoor dining (1)special occasion (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Pleasant surprisebkfoodiesVIPDined on 9/26/2014My husband had the seafood pasta with wine sauce and I had the blackened salmon with a honey, bourbon sauce. Both entrees were so flavourful and cooked to perfection. The strawberry, orange vinaigrette is a must try. We will definately come back.Special Features:
- Great time and good foodNickideezDined on 9/12/2014Second time here. Love the variety of food they have, specifically the pork sliders and lobster Mac and cheese. The mussels are a must, in the red sauce. Wish they had a steak option. But overall, great service and really good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still love CulinaLuv2eatVIPDined on 7/26/2014Culina is my favorite restaurant. The food is excellent and the servers - especially Bobby - are fantastic and are more like friends. It has recently been purchased by a new owner but they have not changed the excellent menu. They are going to start offering a Dominican menu on Sunday and I plan to try it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great FindIBeMEDined on 7/25/2014My husband and I were looking for a new restaurant for dinner. There are too many mediocre and fast food places near us (York/Lake Wylie). We were pleasantly surprised when we entered---nice ambiance. Although it was crowded, both bar and tables, there was a pleasant hum in the building. Food was very good from appetizers to entrees. Drinks were OK. Not an extensive wine list but not bad. Husband's drink was a little skimpy but good. We will absolutely be back because Culina's Modern Comfort Food offers our area an excellent value and delicious food!Special Features:
- Robert Irvine...you are neededDeb9227VIPDined on 7/12/2014Place should go on Restaurant Impossible. Good concept--poorly executed.
- DisappointedNapagirlDined on 7/11/2014Under new ownership Culina is quickly going downhill. Pass on the "fresh" tomatoes; hard, pink and inedible. Our server was rude, inattentive and fought with another server at the bar. We had to flag him down for our bill which was incorrect. When we shared our experience to the owner he corrected the check and offered dessert. Very kind. However, he made excuses for our server and his attitude. We won't be returning to Culina.
- oldeirishDined on 6/28/2014We have enjoyed frequenting this restaurant for about 2 yrs. It has been a pleasant and welcome change to our town and neighborhood. The food has been very different and curious but very tasteful. We were somewhat shocked Saturday night when waiter informed us that at least 10 or 12 items or entrees were NOT AVAILABLE.. He stated that they had been so busy over the past few days that their food supplies were gone and they were unable to restock for the weekend. That really limited the choices as their menu is rather small to start. We are concerned that maybe their has been a recent change in ownership or management. 'The entire staff and chef appeared to be different to us.. Two of the items ordered were prepared different as well.Special Features:
- Closed without warningLastvisitDined on 6/23/2014Made reservation, rushed from the airport to be there on time, arrived, all dark with sign saying they were closed. Would have expected a notice of closing and an apology but radio silence from the restaurant.
- The following 83 reviews are from the Culina Modern Comfort Food reviews archive.
- Nice lunch spotWendyNDined on 6/20/2014Good fresh food. Attentive wait staff that pleasantly accepted special order. Lunch menu is limitedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Big disappointmentFrequentDinerDined on 6/11/2014What a disappointment! We had reservations and were on time, yet were seated in the bar because a number of “walk-in customers“ had taken all the tables on the dining side. We had to ask for a change of seats in the bar because a plant was hitting me in the head. The calamari was chewy. The crab cakes were mushy. The veggie sliders were inedible. The server asked how we liked the crab cakes. I shrugged and my friend said they weren’t her favorite. The server smiled and said “oh good!”. One bright spot: My friend ordered the Caramel Apple Salad and loved it. The server was nice but not particularly attentive. My friend and I have met for dinner once a month for more than 10 years, and we decided this was one of our top 2 of 3 worst meals.
- Down Graded to AverageNaturalEngineerDined on 6/5/2014Culina started out as a truly unique dining experience. The original chef was an artist, and the food was excellent. There was a nice wine list to complement a variety of Tapas style plates. Apparently the concept was wasted on the Rock Hill crowd. The chef is gone. Wine list has about a dozen mediocre bottles. The new menu is much less imaginative and is more about conventional entree and comfort food. Once a place to escape from the routine, now a decent place to eat.
- Nice plates for small platesvillefoodieVIPDined on 5/30/2014Cute spot in Rock Hill that is not a chain. Small plates are very good, as are prices. Would recommend as an alternative to crowded South Park area.Special Features:
- Great food Great servicegak152VIPDined on 5/28/2014My Wife and I went to Culina for the first time on a date night. We were pleasantly surprised. Great food, Great service. Definitely a place that we will be going back.Special Features:
- Gen in rock hillSunshine278Dined on 5/17/2014Only restuarant in rock hill that belongs in South Park. Excellent small plates an great staff and atmosphere. Only restuarant in rock hill that's not a chain, bar food or a pizza/wing joint. Looking for a more upscale dining experience with a creative chef then go to culina. Specials are delightful and the small plates allow u to taste a variety of different cuisines. The deserts a fantastic. We use to have to go to charlotte for this type of experience but we do not anymore.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisapointedOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/28/2014Service was poor and the food was not done well. Pasta swiming in sauce and sides were not great. Wished for so much more in Rock Hill so I could take my wife out on a Saturday night without a long drive north.
- Great Dinner with GirlfriendsCooCoo4CookinDined on 4/17/2014I had a great experience at Culina. I enjoyed the food, the ambience and the company. My friends and I arrived for dinner right on time for Happy Hour. We shared the Caramel Apple Salad. We also ordered the Tomato Pie which was tastier than expected but surprisingly smaller than we anticipated. We managed to split it three ways (but devoured it in less than 5 minutes) while we sipped on a wonderful glass of wine. Our food arrived right on time. Thank to my kind friends I was able to sample their meals. I have no complaints about any of the food nor the pricing. I recommend the eggplant parmesan, chicken involtini and the Thai chicken wings. Our waiter was kind and quite knowledgeable. I will definitely be returning to Culina.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really uniqueBigeaterDined on 3/22/2014This is a very unique place - 2nd time I have been there. I need to go more often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Miss the Chef!CornellHotelie79Dined on 3/14/2014Really miss the old chef. Although the Sous Chef is "giving it his best shot", the food is just not even close to the same. Will not make the drive to dine there again. Service was excellent. Hostess was haughty. Wrote an outstanding review last time.......hoped for a "repeat performance", but was most disappointed. Wouldn't recognize the tomato pie......my past favorite. The scallops were very disappointing............small and fishy.
- Love this place!dcav1225Dined on 2/25/2014The food is wonderful here, which is why I keep going back! It is a great place to go with friends family and even for a special occasion!Special Features:
- What a difference!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/21/2014We had eaten at Culina a few times, but the narrow menu selection and very intricate foods (great for foodies), no substitutions or even take-out made return trips not as desirable, especially for those of a more basic palette. HOWEVER, new management, new chef and revamped kitchen staff, along with improved and greatly expanded menu selections (in combination of all those really unique flavor blended items still there) have made for a wonderful dining experience. It is more relaxed, with "manly" meals and substitutions now allowed. Gone is the stuffy, pretentious chef and "his" wants. Under the new staff, the focus is now where it always belonged, with the customer. Great turnaround!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a winner!Luv2eatVIPDined on 2/15/2014We love love love Culina! The food and service are great. Every meal is wonderfully prepared - the BEST restaurant in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Culina no longer shinesSteveDined on 2/8/2014Just went back to Culina following management's ousting of former executive chef. Culina still features mostly the same menu; but the food is not good. Tomato pie, once noteworthy offering, is now terrible. Don't bother eating here. There were only 15 people in the place last Saturday night.
- Rock Hill gemCharlottedinerDined on 1/25/2014This was our first visit. The food was excellent, I only gave four star as it wasn't quite the 100% top-of-the-line i.e. make McNinch House. The servers were knowledgeable and polite and prompt. However for the entire restaurant there were only two waiters and one bartender on a busy Saturday night. We will definitely visit again. Hopefully service issues will be ironed out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Going downhill...OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/10/2014When Culina opened my wife and I were very excited about this being in Rock Hill, and we had a couple of really wonderful meals, with interesting and tasty food options. Regrettably, our subsequent experiences have been increasingly disappointing. The service level has dropped (wait staff seems less trained, and not as engaging and friendly), and more importantly the food is not nearly as good. The options are less imaginative and the taste has decreased. This particular visit we found the food over salted and ‘just not very good’. For decent ‘non-chain’ dining, we will have to find another option in Rock Hill, or just go to Charlotte instead.
- Why must every restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/4/2014Why must every restaurant have a big screen TV? Can't you have upscale dining without watching football? You cannot be all things to all people.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what we were hoping forgirlsnightoutDined on 1/2/2014My girl friends and I had very high hopes for this restaurant…..new….modern……we were all disappointed. First let me say that the Carmel Apple Salad was EXCELLENT,the other items we ordered were very good . However the bar ran out of drink ingredients, service was VERY slow….no apologies were ever made, when asked if they had dessert the waiter said he "did not know"…..so we went to Amelies for dessert and coffee…..I think the restaurant has potential…..but there are MANY kinks that need to be worked out.
- Local EatsKdrhVIPDined on 12/14/2013This restaurant needs Rock Hill's support. My wife and I often go before we attend the theater in Charlotte. Support local restaurants. Very good food and tasty wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Diamond in the Rough in Rock HillRHfoodieDined on 12/13/2013We are always on the look out for restaurants that use local produce and food sources, which Culina provides. But they go above and beyond by enhancing your standard southern dish such as shrimp and grits, with a twist. There is always something special on the menu, and everything looks so lovely on the plate. We've been there about 10 times now and have never been disappointed. Try there Sunday brunch... the Bloody Mary bar is fabulous! As well as the blue berry french toast. Wow! So good!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decided to try culina forCellDined on 12/3/2013Decided to try culina for our 9th anniversary dinner,usually we go to Villa Antonio's,was blown away with presentation and not to mention the taste that was out of this world. My wife fell in love with the sweet potato fries.Definately will be back.Have also spread the word about your restaurant. Thanks again for an awesome dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lucky to have!NjoyDined on 12/1/2013Culinas is wonderful from the moment you are greeted at the door throughout your entire dining experience. Their food is fresh, innovative and to be savored. You can share small plates if you choose or not. The scallops are a must have and another favorite is the caramel apple salad. They chage the items on the menu so it's always interesting. We are so lucky to have this quality restaurant in our community.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent all over. GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/23/2013Excellent all over. Great drinks, great food, great price. Going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decreasing qualityFoodieDined on 11/15/2013This is my 4th trip since they opened. The first within 6 months of their opening and the food quality was excellent. Recently, menu lacks cohesiveness. Things are over spiced or poorly paired. Most is over cooked. Many times salads come well into the meal. They explain things come out at varying times, but often it is not spaced well and it is feast or famine. There has been nothing "amazing on the menu the past three trips and old stand bys such as the Mac and cheese or tomato tart have been disappointing.
- Another great dinner and eveningLuv2eatVIPDined on 11/8/2013I always enjoy meeting my friends at Culina. The food is excellent and the service is very good. We like to linger after our meal and talk and we never feel rushed. Culina is a fantastic addition to the Rock Hill restaurant scene - very few other restaurants can compare.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rock Hill's Unique "Little Gem"CornellHotelie79Dined on 10/29/2013The atmosphere is inviting...the menu is fresh...the food presentation and quality were exceptional! The dinner menu's pricing ($8-16) was extremely reasonable, given the portion size and ingredients. The service was "five star" all the way. The Proprietor/Chef is young, talented, and has obviously found his niche in the restaurant industry. Culina Modern Comfort Food opened Thanksgiving of 2012; Rock Hill, and surrounding areas, needs to support this venue to insure its longevity and success. It is a short drive from the Lake Wylie area. You MUST give this "Little Gem" a try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tuna chop chop72of500VIPDined on 10/29/2013Moscow Mule Tuna chop chop Loved the salad and drinksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Easily one of the nicer placesVectorsToFinalDined on 10/23/2013Easily one of the nicer places in town, I've been three times and like it more each time.Special Features:
- Great findLike2EatDined on 10/19/2013This is a great find in the York County area, Rock Hill, SC. The atmosphere was fun and relaxing and the food was fantastic. The Smoked Crawfish Mac-n-Cheese rivals Capital Grill's Lobster Mac-n-Cheese. The Executive Chef uses local ingredients and all dishes are made fresh. It has a Tapas theme for the menu. Great Cocktail choices, try the Moscow Mule if you like Mojitos. Will be taking friends next time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh and creativeMelpimiDined on 10/16/2013What a nice surprise to find this great restaurant in Rock Hill! Fresh ingredients and creative dishes, at the right price. We had a family dinner after a Winthrop soccer game. Everybody loved it, from the dieting mom to the hungry teens. Loved the poached pear salad, the sweet potatoes fries, and the desserts. Great service as well. We'll visit again when in Rock Hill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Culina!Luv2eatVIPDined on 10/11/2013My friends and I love Culina. We have been there for dinner and Sunday brunch. The chef is creative and the food is outstanding. Sunday brunch includes a Bloody Mary bar or bottomless Mimosas. The service is always good and we are always comfortable to relax to enjoy a glass of wine and talk after our meal. This restaurant is a gem!Special Features:
- Beautiful Restaurant --JinksDined on 10/5/2013My only disappointment was I do not eat seafood and I would say 90-95% of all entrees were seafood base. Be great to diversify menu a little. . A little pricey but great date nightSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.