9914-89 Avenue NW
Edmonton, AB T6E 2S7Neighborhood:
Fusion / EclecticPrice: CAN$30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.culinafamily.ca/
- Phone: (780) 437-5588
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Saturday & Sunday Brunch 10:00 am - 2:00 pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Brad Lazarenko
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Culina specializes in small to mid-size catering functions specializing in creative hors d'oeuvres menus and family style weddings. Culina also offers their signature 'TV Dinners', a take on the classic TV dinner but made with local naturally raised meats and ethnic flavours.
- Private Party Facilities: We offer our entire restaurant which seats 42 people as well as our smaller intimate wine bar for private functions up to 20 people.
- Private Party Contact: Ed Donszelmann 7802310373x
A word from Culina Millcreek
A friendly neighbourhood bistro serving contemporary ethnic comfort food.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Culina Millcreek - Best Restaurants in Old Strathcona ›
Culina Millcreek reviews from OpenTable diners
125 reviews since July 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (89)neighborhood gem (79)romantic (64)special occasion (56)great for brunch (44)notable wine list (24)great for lunch (19)great for outdoor dining (11)late-night find (10)hot spot (10)good for groups (5)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Wonderful food and service.TryitallDined on 11/13/2014Had a wonderful evening with great food and service. I wanted to pick up the plate and lick it clean. Very friendly service. A little bit noisy so not a perfect spot if you are looking for romantic conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing foodSebastienDined on 11/11/2014Dinner at Culina was wonderful - pork shoulder, in particular, was tender and flavourful. Only two desserts are offered but they are perfection so no need for more options. Our appetizer was delivered promptly but the entrée took 75 minutes so we were getting a little frustrated. Our server did come and apologize for the delay and made amends. We look forward to trying Culina again - a wonderful cozy spot on a cold winter night.Special Features:
- Best brunch in the cityKathyDined on 11/9/2014Culina is my go to for brunch in Edmonton. The atmosphere is so good and the food is always amazing. The service is usually great too. The last few times I have been the service has been perfect. The menu is small so if you're picky I would check it out online before, but if anything on it sounds like something you might like, chances are that you'll love it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will be backHungryAlexVIPDined on 11/8/2014Had a lovely time out at this restaurant. The duck breast dish was delicious. I should've followed chef's recommendation for medium rare, I asked for medium which made it a bit tougher. My mistake. My partner had the beef tenderloin which was absolutely fantastic! The accompanying vegetables and potatoes were also very hardy and delicious. The portion size for both dishes left us feeling satisfied. For dessert we had the cheesecake which was extremely flavorful and creamy, much better then the dryer style cheesecake, in my opinion. Wine list had many good choices available at reasonable prices. We both really liked the space, it's just the right size, simple and cozy.Special Features:
- ProfessorprofessorVIPDined on 11/8/2014A great little place, not much to look at from the outside but the food was outstanding in side. Friendly and accommodating to your concerns. Would return again and recommend to friends.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/8/2014I had an amazing brunch! Food was great - I'd definitely go back!Special Features:
- Culina: My Favourite in YEGtruthfulwork73Dined on 11/4/2014One of the true delights in living in Mill Creek is knowing that, should there be a suitable occasion to justify the expense, one of the finest restaurants in the city is just down the street.Special Features:
- it was oklolitaDined on 11/1/2014We really expected more... there was 1 waiter that tended too many tables. We had great company, so the long wait for our food was fine. For the first time ever I sent my meal back. I ordered the lamb and it was so salty that no one at our table could eat it. The rest of our group ate the cod and steak - they loved it. We ordered special coffees that arrived half made at our table.I was disappointed and would most likely not go back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014Totally Awesome food! Great wine list, perfect service and a very enjoyable mill. I would 100% recommend this restarurant to anyone.Special Features:
- Good date spotOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/29/2014The food was great. They manage to make french fries fancy!! I like the environment. The service was a bit slow. but our server apologized and said that they were short staffed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KenRDined on 10/25/2014Very impressed with our meals! Portions are great and very flavourful and tasty!Special Features:
- Not good this timeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/24/2014Culina has been my favourite neighbourhood restaurant for 9 years. This last time was disappointing. We waited one hour for our food....and the restaurant wasn't even full. My friend and I agreed that the mussels were way too salty and I had to send them back. The attitude from the kitchen added insult to injury. Hopefully this is a one time incident, as I absolutey love culina as my go to restaurant.Special Features:
- Great food and venue.food4fuelDined on 10/22/2014I am fortunate this is around the corner from my house. I took a friend visiting from Toronto. On a Wednesday night it wasn't packed but still felt vibrant. The service was what efficient but not rushed. The food was interesting, well presented. Portions are generous - we likely didn't need an appetizer but like the sound of the pomme frite. I like supporting local so love that Culina's is that in all ways too.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with FriendsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/17/2014Excellent service. Good portion size. Good ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent timeBorisDined on 10/10/2014Have been meaning to go here for ages and we finally went this weekend. The food was excellent, never had Icelandic Monkfish before it was very tasty. both of our meals were excellent and the service was terrific. Culina MillCreek is a small cozy place in a great neighborhood with a decent wine list. I can say for sure we will returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Deliciousame5Dined on 10/4/2014Fantastic service and food. Always innovative, solid menu. Tried the lamb, a brand new menu item - delicious.Special Features:
- Great dining experience!Lovely1LindaDined on 10/3/2014This restaurant is a neighborhood gem. Outstanding food from local farms. The atmosphere is quaint and is was nice setting for my group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always perfectjoshisorangesDined on 10/2/2014I absolutely love this restaurant. The food is amazing and unique. The wine list is fantastic without being overwhelming. The wait-staff are polite and unobtrusive while still providing exceedingly competent service. The ambiance is fantastic. Gentlemen - if you want to impress a date, take her here. Also great for small groups. I would probably only not recommend this place if you are looking for an energetic start to an evening with a larger (greater than six people) group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely brunchFunkyFreshDined on 9/28/2014Mmmm, fantastic food and service. Quaint decor and cozy space. Culina is a real gem, a truly homemade dining delight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious brunch!YegfoodiesDined on 9/28/2014This is one of our favourite spots for delicious local fare. Service was wonderful and the food is always great. The eggs Benedict with it's smoky hollandaise is easily one of my favourite dishes anywhere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DelicioussosososhaDined on 9/27/2014Small and cozy and the brunch menu was phenomenal. All three of us agreed to come back again with our significant others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Culina MillcreekJTC84Dined on 9/26/2014A great little restaurant in Strathcona/Millcreek, tucked away from busy Whyte Ave. Cosy and sophisticated atmosphere with great food and service, definitely somewhere I will come back to and recommend to others.Special Features:
- Very GoodSteveinYEGDined on 9/26/2014The house salad is so good! I never know what I am going to have for my main course but I do know that it will be preceded by a salad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Potentially AwesomeYourCustomerDined on 9/25/2014After reserving on line for a bit later in the evening at what was supposed to be the first available time, we were surprised to find the restaurant at least half empty. And the service a little slow. But friendly. The wine (Mezzacorona), the only one we could get a half litre of because it was already open, was nothing special. Okay mussels, not very fat, with good cream sauce. Delicious kind of crunchy salad! Wonderful warm, filling duck. Tasty cod, or rather its sauce was tasty and interesting, but the cod, a little less so. On the plus side, it was neither over- nor under-cooked. The trifle was frothy and not too sweet, and the cheesecake was a little bland. The room is cozy and it was nice to have the door left ajar on a warm evening.Special Features:
- We'll be backOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/25/2014The food was just fabulous! We hadn't been back for a while - the next visit will be soon!Special Features:
- Fell ShortTravistyDined on 9/20/2014This was not our first visit to Cullina's and have fully enjoyed and even been pleasently surprised by this little gem but this was a pitifully disapointing visit. Our server was unable to smile or visit enough to imply our visit mattered. I had ordered a Tenderloin med rare, but it was well done at best and the sauce tasted like it was burned. Overall it seems as though this sweet little gem has gone downhill and fast.
- Date NightoutwithmomDined on 9/19/2014We enjoyed a Friday Night away from the kids. Only our second visit to Culina, but we will certainly return. The service was exceptional, even though the wait for our main course was lengthy. We enjoyed the mussels to start and we made short work of our cod and tenderloin dishes. The bacon wrapped mashed potatoes were a hit... My wife could not resist eating several "tastes" of mine. Looking forward to our next visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A new findfoodieadventurerDined on 9/19/2014Excellent service, exceptional cuisine, beautifully presented. Especially enjoyed the beef tenderloin, and the dessert made with Alberta fruit. Will definitely return and bring friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!lovegoodfoodDined on 9/17/2014Went for a special romantic dinner. The quaint feel of the place suited the occasion perfectly. The server was extremely cheerful and helpful in explaining the dishes. The food was excellent. The cheese fritters were fantastic! We also tried the mussels which were in a very flavorful sauce but could have used a bit less salt. The duck breast was delicious as was the caprese salad. We will definitely recommend this place and will return to try the other entrees.Special Features:
- Best restaurant in Old StrathconabknightDined on 9/10/2014We have eaten at this restaurant since it opened near 99th many years ago. It is a small room which looks like a badly renovated basement but it seems to suit the desired ambiance. The food is consistently good while a little eclectic. This is a very popular restaurant so reservations are essential although on at least two occasions they went out of their way to accommodate us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedSheemonDined on 9/10/2014I've been to Culina for brunch a few times and was always happy with the food, service and atmosphere. This was the first time we decided to go for dinner and were a little disappointed. The food was okay, but definitely not to the standard I would set with the brunch menu. And no pork? Definitely a letdown. However, my biggest gripe would be lukewarm food. I'll be back, but not for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!EateateatDined on 9/9/2014We enjoyed a fabulous dinner - shared a caprese salad and the BBQ pork entree, with a lovely bottle of Chilean wine. The food was just delicious, nicely paced, and the service was great! I love this place, especially during a quieter time of daySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our experienceHappyandfullDined on 9/5/2014My wife and I have been going to Culina for years now. Most notably for our anniversary and other special occasions. As my wife can not eat wheat ( allergy not celiac ) the menu is flexible and the staff are always helpful and attentive. The food is always reason for delight and we have never been disappointed. Going to Culinary is meant to be an evening out and always is a point of excitement for the two of us. Culina is a definite favourite for us!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovely spot!b1rdofparadisDined on 9/5/2014First time to Culina Mill Creek. I've been to Culina Muttart for brunch before - unmemorable. But dinner at Mill Creek was wonderful! The starters were delicious (Brazilian cheese balls and a very unique caprese salad). I had the mushroom and cheese ravioli and the rest of my table had beef tenderloin and the icelandic cod. Everyone's food was awesome, even the dessert was interesting. Wine selection mediocre but the bartender can whip up something fancy. The waiter was funny, attentive but not overbearing. We enjoyed ourselves. I'd go back, for like a wedding anniversary or something.Special Features:
- Will ReturnBurrDined on 8/31/2014Excellent food and service, no pretensions--like old-fashioned down home dining.Special Features:
- Birthday brunchBettiDined on 8/31/2014we went there for a birthday celebration. The food was excellent and the service efficient and friendly. Also, the coffee was great.Special Features:
- Awesome restaurantExplorerDined on 8/29/2014Wonderful place to dine. Great for a girls night out or with your spouse. Quiet and cozy but can also be very romantic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice dinner!FatMattDined on 8/26/2014Went for my great aunts birthday, and she loved her meal (Columbian style chicken). The table also had the BBQ pork shoulder, lamb ravioli, and pomme frites which were all good. The place is cozy, and our server was friendly. A little on the slow side, but we werent complaining because the wine was good as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HiddenDater69Dined on 8/23/2014Not much to see on the outside. Once inside it is very nice and the food is fantastic and reasonably priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, slow serviceYegfoodiesDined on 8/22/2014We celebrated our anniversary at Culina and the food was, as always, delicious. That being said, we arrived with a relatively empty dining room and it still took over an hour for our food to arrive. Our server was scattered and I believe we were forgotten for a time as other diners sat after us received their meals long before us (very similar orders). The menu was full of creative local fare, but I very much missed the addition of my favourite dish-the duck. Please bring it back! :)Special Features: