9914-89 Avenue NW
Edmonton, AB T6E 2S7Neighborhood:
Fusion / EclecticPrice: CAN$30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.culinafamily.ca/
- Phone: 780-437-5588 x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:00 am - 2:30 pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Saturday & Sunday Brunch 10:00 am - 2:00 pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Brad Lazarenko
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Culina specializes in small to mid-size catering functions specializing in creative hors d'oeuvres menus and family style weddings. Culina also offers their signature 'TV Dinners', a take on the classic TV dinner but made with local naturally raised meats and ethnic flavours.
- Private Party Facilities: We offer our entire restaurant which seats 42 people as well as our smaller intimate wine bar for private functions up to 20 people.
- Private Party Contact: Ed Donszelmann 7802310373x
A word from Culina Millcreek
A friendly neighbourhood bistro serving contemporary ethnic comfort food.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Culina Millcreek - Best Restaurants in Old Strathcona ›
Culina Millcreek reviews from OpenTable diners
152 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (106)neighborhood gem (104)romantic (83)special occasion (74)great for brunch (60)notable wine list (33)great for outdoor dining (30)great for lunch (29)late-night find (13)good for groups (10)hot spot (9)kid-friendly (8)scenic view (3)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Lovely brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/28/2014Mmmm, fantastic food and service. Quaint decor and cozy space. Culina is a real gem, a truly homemade dining delight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious brunch!YegfoodiesDined on 9/28/2014This is one of our favourite spots for delicious local fare. Service was wonderful and the food is always great. The eggs Benedict with it's smoky hollandaise is easily one of my favourite dishes anywhere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DelicioussosososhaDined on 9/27/2014Small and cozy and the brunch menu was phenomenal. All three of us agreed to come back again with our significant others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Culina MillcreekJTC84Dined on 9/26/2014A great little restaurant in Strathcona/Millcreek, tucked away from busy Whyte Ave. Cosy and sophisticated atmosphere with great food and service, definitely somewhere I will come back to and recommend to others.Special Features:
- Potentially AwesomeYourCustomerDined on 9/25/2014After reserving on line for a bit later in the evening at what was supposed to be the first available time, we were surprised to find the restaurant at least half empty. And the service a little slow. But friendly. The wine (Mezzacorona), the only one we could get a half litre of because it was already open, was nothing special. Okay mussels, not very fat, with good cream sauce. Delicious kind of crunchy salad! Wonderful warm, filling duck. Tasty cod, or rather its sauce was tasty and interesting, but the cod, a little less so. On the plus side, it was neither over- nor under-cooked. The trifle was frothy and not too sweet, and the cheesecake was a little bland. The room is cozy and it was nice to have the door left ajar on a warm evening.Special Features:
- We'll be backOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/25/2014The food was just fabulous! We hadn't been back for a while - the next visit will be soon!Special Features:
- Fell ShortTravistyDined on 9/20/2014This was not our first visit to Cullina's and have fully enjoyed and even been pleasently surprised by this little gem but this was a pitifully disapointing visit. Our server was unable to smile or visit enough to imply our visit mattered. I had ordered a Tenderloin med rare, but it was well done at best and the sauce tasted like it was burned. Overall it seems as though this sweet little gem has gone downhill and fast.
- Date NightoutwithmomDined on 9/19/2014We enjoyed a Friday Night away from the kids. Only our second visit to Culina, but we will certainly return. The service was exceptional, even though the wait for our main course was lengthy. We enjoyed the mussels to start and we made short work of our cod and tenderloin dishes. The bacon wrapped mashed potatoes were a hit... My wife could not resist eating several "tastes" of mine. Looking forward to our next visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A new findfoodieadventurerDined on 9/19/2014Excellent service, exceptional cuisine, beautifully presented. Especially enjoyed the beef tenderloin, and the dessert made with Alberta fruit. Will definitely return and bring friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!lovegoodfoodDined on 9/17/2014Went for a special romantic dinner. The quaint feel of the place suited the occasion perfectly. The server was extremely cheerful and helpful in explaining the dishes. The food was excellent. The cheese fritters were fantastic! We also tried the mussels which were in a very flavorful sauce but could have used a bit less salt. The duck breast was delicious as was the caprese salad. We will definitely recommend this place and will return to try the other entrees.Special Features:
- Best restaurant in Old StrathconabknightDined on 9/10/2014We have eaten at this restaurant since it opened near 99th many years ago. It is a small room which looks like a badly renovated basement but it seems to suit the desired ambiance. The food is consistently good while a little eclectic. This is a very popular restaurant so reservations are essential although on at least two occasions they went out of their way to accommodate us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedSheemonDined on 9/10/2014I've been to Culina for brunch a few times and was always happy with the food, service and atmosphere. This was the first time we decided to go for dinner and were a little disappointed. The food was okay, but definitely not to the standard I would set with the brunch menu. And no pork? Definitely a letdown. However, my biggest gripe would be lukewarm food. I'll be back, but not for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!EateateatDined on 9/9/2014We enjoyed a fabulous dinner - shared a caprese salad and the BBQ pork entree, with a lovely bottle of Chilean wine. The food was just delicious, nicely paced, and the service was great! I love this place, especially during a quieter time of daySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovely spot!b1rdofparadisDined on 9/5/2014First time to Culina Mill Creek. I've been to Culina Muttart for brunch before - unmemorable. But dinner at Mill Creek was wonderful! The starters were delicious (Brazilian cheese balls and a very unique caprese salad). I had the mushroom and cheese ravioli and the rest of my table had beef tenderloin and the icelandic cod. Everyone's food was awesome, even the dessert was interesting. Wine selection mediocre but the bartender can whip up something fancy. The waiter was funny, attentive but not overbearing. We enjoyed ourselves. I'd go back, for like a wedding anniversary or something.Special Features:
- Will ReturnBurrDined on 8/31/2014Excellent food and service, no pretensions--like old-fashioned down home dining.Special Features:
- Birthday brunchBettiDined on 8/31/2014we went there for a birthday celebration. The food was excellent and the service efficient and friendly. Also, the coffee was great.Special Features:
- Awesome restaurantExplorerDined on 8/29/2014Wonderful place to dine. Great for a girls night out or with your spouse. Quiet and cozy but can also be very romantic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice dinner!FatMattDined on 8/26/2014Went for my great aunts birthday, and she loved her meal (Columbian style chicken). The table also had the BBQ pork shoulder, lamb ravioli, and pomme frites which were all good. The place is cozy, and our server was friendly. A little on the slow side, but we werent complaining because the wine was good as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HiddenDater69Dined on 8/23/2014Not much to see on the outside. Once inside it is very nice and the food is fantastic and reasonably priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, slow serviceYegfoodiesDined on 8/22/2014We celebrated our anniversary at Culina and the food was, as always, delicious. That being said, we arrived with a relatively empty dining room and it still took over an hour for our food to arrive. Our server was scattered and I believe we were forgotten for a time as other diners sat after us received their meals long before us (very similar orders). The menu was full of creative local fare, but I very much missed the addition of my favourite dish-the duck. Please bring it back! :)Special Features:
- Fabulous BrunchcleomumDined on 8/17/2014Dishes are creative and delicious. Excellent service! Just be sure to make a reservation on Sundays, or you may be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't go wrongOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/16/2014Been there many times and never been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice cozy spotJenbowDined on 8/16/2014We enjoy the ambiance and particularly the brunch menu of this little gem of a restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Why Culina?FlochuckDined on 8/15/2014Why not when one lives just around the corner. Great, creative menu; specials that really are; delightful patio; and service as good as anywhere. Lambers and mash cannot be beaten, and made upstairs to boot. Why walk further when one may be pampered on one's doorstep.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it every timefrequentdinerDined on 8/14/2014Fantastic food and great service. I'm never disappointed here. I happily recommend Culina for brunch, lunch, or dinner.Special Features:
- Always a treatWhereRMyGlovesEdmontonDined on 8/12/2014Some people just know food, know what to do with beautiful ingredients, to turn that into beautiful dishes. Culina is a place like that. Moreover, you get excellent advice on how your preferences relate to the menu, great service, personal.Special Features:
- Not the best Culina dinner I've hadDiscerningDinerDined on 8/12/2014It had been a while since I'd had dinner here. I found the menu and food quality less impressive than previous meals. Most disappointing was the service. We ordered several appetizers and ate them slowly while waiting for our entrees. The server kept trying to clear them away before we had finished, saying that room was needed for the entrees. So we assumed the entrees were on the way. After about an hour, I asked if the entrees would not be served until we had finished the appetizers. The server had indeed been waiting for us to finish the appetizers before ordering the entrees to be prepared. When it became clear that this had not been our intention, she offered no apology for not having asked if we wanted the entrees delayed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice space, Good Food, BAD ServicekmaeDined on 8/10/2014The server was in a terrible mood. She slammed a bottle of water on our table without saying hello or any word for that matter. We ordered our first drink, and she never did ask if we wanted anything else. There was no quality check on our meals. Then the bill came. It was super disappointing. We overheard her complaining a few times about having a bad day. I was frustrated that I could not order some things I really wanted with our meals because she just never came back. The food was great though I must say. I tried to call the establishment to discuss my concerns but no one answered at the Millcreek location, I tried the Muttart location and the woman who answered the phone told me to look on the website and try and find a managers email.
- A great mealSteveinYEGDined on 8/1/2014The location of the restaurant and to style inside is very nice. It took longer than I expected for the server to arrive at our table for the first time. When we had a question about a wine choice, she consulted with the owner of the restaurant to get more information about the winds were asking about. This was good and ended up with a nice bottle of wine. I had the haddock and it was excellent. My date had to steak and she said it too was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable dinning experienceSuculiciousDined on 8/1/2014Culina Millcreek is consistent in that the food, service and ambiance are always excellent. My wife has a garlic allergy and the chef came out to meet her and discuss what he could prepare for her. The meal was outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- INTERESTING EATERYkyewVIPDined on 7/30/2014WE HAVE ALWAYS HAD A GREAT MEAL HERE. UNFORTUNATELY THIS TIME BOTH MY HUSBAND ,SON AND MYSELF HAD THE PORK SHOULDER AND IT WAS VERY DRY. WE WERE ALL DISAPPOINTED AS THE PREVIOUS TIME IT WAS DELICIOUS!!! WE STILL WOULD RETURN THERE THOUGH. IT IS A HIDDEN GEMSpecial Features:
- Adventurers, this is a must!NomsterDined on 7/27/2014A menu not too big and not too small, filled with interesting dishes you might not have thought up of yourself at home. No standard fare but everything looks and tastes amazing! I myself just had the granola bowl for lunch, and while I liked the combination of tastes, it did end up being far sweeter than I bargained for. However, I will definitely be back to try out the other fare, and so should you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Taste Bud AdventuresUnderCoverSpoonDined on 7/26/2014This is always my go-to place to take out of town guests for brunch. My whisky-soaked apple fritters with aged white cheddar, chicken sausage & ginger maple syrup was an excellent wake-up call to my sleepy taste buds. The corn bread with saskatoon butter is the perfect sized appetizer to share. The coffee is great and so is the service too! Thank you for a lovely brunch :)Special Features:
- Consistently wonderful!fillmybellyDined on 7/25/2014I have dined at Culina Millcreek three times over the last year, and the staff are attentive and friendly. Most importantly, the food is always amazing! It's a lovely spot for good food and conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- suzyqDined on 7/22/2014I really enjoyed dining here and I must say the Insalata Caprese was amazing!!!! I will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/16/2014Simply put the service was excellent. Casual but not sloppy, friendly but not common.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousJillianLauraDined on 7/16/2014Amazing food, cute little spot. Great for date night.Special Features:
- Culinaluv2eatDined on 7/16/2014The restaurant is small but cozy, the server was busy but efficient, service was well paced with adequate time between courses. The entree special was a rabbit ravioli with wild mushrooms, which I rated good and the tenderloin was rated excellent by my wife. A good dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic dinner for twoZeroThaHeroDined on 7/15/2014This restaurant is one of incredible quality, shining out in the moderately bleak Edmonton dining landscape. Every dish that my spouse and I ordered was of the utmost top quality, and was clearly prepared and presented by someone who takes great pride in their work! We each had an appetizer, an entree, multiple "beverages", and shared a desert, and the tab (all-in) was a modest $150! We were also impressed with the apparent production of a monthly, dynamic menu (or, as stated on the card, "Bill of Fare",) hinted at by the fact that the menu actually said "July" on it. We will definitely be returning to this establishment, most likely after a seasonal shift, so we can test our hypothesis regarding the fluidity of their fare offerings.Special Features:
- arlaDined on 7/15/2014The only thing for me personally is that there was only one option for vegetarians - in the entree level. (it had goat cheese). It was DELICIOUS! I would have liked to see more options maybe though.... my friends LOVED their food too.