Detroit, MI 48202Neighborhood:
Contemporary FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cuisinerestaurant.com/
- Phone: 3138725110
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Paul Grosz
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Cuisine on the go! Please call for details. 313.872.5110
- Private Party Facilities: Cuisine's second floor offers full privacy or you may rent the entire house for the evening with a full customized menu.
- Private Party Contact: Paul Grosz 3138725110x
A word from Cuisine
Enjoy Contemporary French-American Cuisine under the direction of Chef - owner Paul Grosz. Seasonally changing appetizers and entrees with a large impact on vegetarian cuisine. Wine pairings are available for all menus.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cuisine reviews from OpenTable diners
12 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (10)romantic (9)fit for foodies (9)neighborhood gem (6)good for groups (4)notable wine list (3)late-night find (2)great for lunch (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/14/2014Everything was perfect. Great service and food was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dave EOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/8/2014The contemporary French cuisine was terrific. Selected the set menu and the range of tastes were extraordinary. Service was also very pleasant - attentive, informative but not overbearing.Special Features:
- A needed caveatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/1/2014If this were my first time at Cuisine, I might be even more lukewarm, but I have been there dozens of times. I consider it one of the two or three best restaurants in Metropolitan Detroit, a frequently overlooked gem. I regularly recommend it to friends and visitors. My reponses to the ratings above represent an experience on an off night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experienceRalphVIPDined on 7/26/2014We went to Cuisine for the first time and loved everything about the restaurant. It is built into the former residence of the Fisher family, former owners of the Fisher Theater. Every aspect of our meal was made to perfection, from the appetizers to the main course to dessert. This will likely become my new favorite Detroit area restaurant. The prices are very reasonable given the food and restaurant quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still excellent!ECBGDined on 7/12/2014I dined here before a show downtown. While it's not in the theater district, it's just a short 5-minute drive up Woodward. Our server was enthusiastic. The food was excellent. The Parmesan risotto is creamy and delicious. The quail stuffed with sweetbreads is divine, as is the tenderloin. I didn't care for the Caeser with prosciutto since I am a traditionalist where Caeser salad is concerned- I also has to wait longer for it than my companions did for their salads. That was the only service blip. Haven't been here in years but will definitely be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/28/2014Food was great and the prices were very reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- boboVIPDined on 5/31/2014Our food overall was delicious (loved the sauces!), but we felt the portions could have been more generous.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 584 reviews are from the Cuisine reviews archive.
- CoyoteDined on 5/16/2014The cuisine is creative, well executed, and good value. The staff is attentive and courteous. Best of all this place is unpretentious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good cuisine at CuisineLisas98Dined on 5/16/2014We had a lovely dinner at Cuisine - the restaurant offers some private spots making it easy to talk and enjoy the meal. The West Side Story dinner option offered some great choices at an affordable price. There were 3 of us and we tried the spare ribs and halibut - both were nicely cooked and flavorful. We also had an extra side of macaroni and cheese that was very tasty. We did decide that the carrot lime cake dessert with cinnamon ice cream was the BEST!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/14/2014We enjoyed the food and the proximity to the Fisher TheatreSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dine FineOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/3/2014Great food, warm ambiance, excellent location. Put this on your list of favorite places to dine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fisher Theatre DiningGreat4usDined on 5/1/2014We love the Cuisine and always go there before we attend events at the Fisher Theatre!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- STOP HERE BEFORE THE FISHERDivaDiDined on 4/29/2014My friend & I love coming to Cuisine before seeing a show at the Fisher! We especially enjoy the three course meals that are available for the shows. On our last visit, the Cosmopolitans were exceptionally good!Special Features:
- Pre-Theatre DinningdleanharDined on 4/27/2014We have dined at the Cuisine many times. We always find it a wonderful experience. Although we prefer to dine at a variety of restaurants and have tried others in the area of the Fisher Theatre, the Cuisine is by far the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Tuna TartartunaDined on 4/26/2014All the food was excellent, tuna tar tar was unbelievable.Special Features:
- DeliciousfoodieVIPDined on 4/26/2014It is always a pleasure to enjoy deliciously prepared fresh food. The beef tenderloin and duck were perfectly cooked. All the sauces are magnificent and the drinks plentiful and reasonably priced. Truly a great dining experience.Special Features:
- Good dinner option before TheatreThanksgivingDinersDined on 4/26/2014Menu options cater to Theatre crowd. Location of restaurant is perfect when going to Fisher Theatre.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service - OK FoodSpecialNightOutDined on 4/19/2014Four of us went on Saturday night during Detroit Restaurant week, 3 course meal for $30. Cesar Salad was large an tasted ok. The entre potions of food were small. Short rib was good but left you wanting another short rib to complete your meal. Desert was almost lost on the plate it was so small. Food was good and the service was very good. The food is over priced for the potion sized served. It's kinda old school kind of place.Special Features:
- Another nice experiencefnjacobsVIPDined on 4/19/2014It wasn't off the charts, but we took advantage of Restaurant Week to enjoy a meal at Cuisine. This place has become more consistent over the years, and we both enjoyed our entrees, appetizers, and desserts. None of our dishes was breakthrough but it was all very, very good. It was a shame the organizers dropped Restaurant Week in the middle of Easter and Passover which had to keep business down for many eateries. There were only a handful of tables full on a Saturday night at Cuisine, which makes no sense. It's a solid eating choice and there should be more people. We enjoy dining here and will be back.Special Features:
- A definite must!LisaDined on 4/18/2014Starting with its charming ambiance to the excellent service-- I can't say enough about my dinning experience -- except, the food was AMAZING. I will be back again.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant WeekJackieVIPDined on 4/18/2014Haven't been to this restaurant in years but always had a high opinion of the food served. It's great if you are going to the Fischer for a performance. The chef does a remarkable job in food selection and presentation. Everything is fresh and the halibut was outstanding! We will be back.. Wine menu not so great but you can bring your own now.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty Detroit Restaurant Week menuluvtoeatVIPDined on 4/17/2014We were seated in a front porch area next to a very loud group. The group yelling plus the acoustics of the porch, made it very hard to hear. Not the restaurant's fault, but I would recommend requesting a different area of the restaurant if you are seeking a more intimate, quiet evening. Our meals were fantastic. Three of us had the country pate, one the corn chowder with crab. Halibut accompanied by a smooth buttery sauce was very tasty. My husband enjoyed the duck. The beef short ribs were not only scrumptious, but were so tender a knife was not necessary. The portions satisfied without overstuffing. We tried 3 restaurants during restaurant week (Guns & Butter and Fountain Bistro) and Cuisine's food was by far our favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice FindOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/17/2014Great place to meet before theater at The Fisher. Enjoyable food and atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemLuvfoodDined on 4/17/2014The food and the ambience was great. The corn chowder was delicious - not heavy but really light. It was great either as a romantic choice or as a group choice. They were very accommodating when we asked to move to another table that was a little more intimate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cute house in new centerColeDined on 4/17/2014I went with a group of nine during restaurant week, after having heard many positive things about cuisine over the years and I was not disappointed. Its an old house/hotel converted into a charming restaurant that instantly makes you feel welcome, while still maintaining its fine dining persona. It was restaurant week so both the food and wine list were limited, and the staff was mainly hired in for the time, however it was still good. I would love to go back during normal business and see whats its like as a nice date night spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant weekGpfoodieDined on 4/16/2014Scallops done to perfection! An excellent vegetarian selection that was lovely to look at and a joy to eat. Add a 16 year old Lagavulin what more can you ask for! Something for the carnivore and vegetarian!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- restaurant weekpierreDined on 4/15/2014Each course was outstanding, and the service was very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing foodKDtableof3Dined on 4/13/2014Everything about Cuisine was pleasant, the food, service, wine, and ambiance. The location is a bit odd, not that it is in an old home but there is not much else near it. Yes there is the Fischer Theater and Henry Ford Hospital but we left early to find a new place to visit and had no luck due to it being Sunday. However, we arrived early at Cuisine and they were able to accommodate us and grateful to do so which was a major plus on their part.Special Features:
- Decent food, terrible serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/13/2014For a place that advertises it's chef and features itself as a "Restaurant Week" destination I would expect a MUCH better hostess and wait staff. I waited tables for many years and I can't understand a host who seems inconvenienced by customers coming in and a waitress who messes up an order, then puts the appetizer, entree AND desert in front of the wrong person. There were only 2 of us for dinner, you should be able to remember which person ordered which dish, and if you can't, WRITE IT DOWN. This was after she brought us the wrong appetizer to share. The food was actually really good, but the atmosphere made the experience annoying. We spent more time talking about the poor service rather than the quality of the food.
- Cuisine great for pre-theaterJohnDined on 4/13/2014Will definitely return but a few problems. The goyan (sic) beef (supposed to be like kobe beef) was $16 more but barely distinguishable from the beef tenderloin which was terrific. And and the waiter served it to the wrong person. But they made it right in the end. Great risotto. The grits were tasty but not much of it. Had ice cream and cheese cake. The ice cream was a wonder but the piece of cheese cake was so small I'm not sure how it tasted. I know there's a fashion for that, but come on. More gluten free selections would be helpful also. Elegant ambiance, great bar tender, attentive staff and right across the street from the Fisher Theater with parking right next door. For all the negative comments, we had a very pleasurable dinner.Special Features:
- Poor SevicedtwdinnerDined on 4/12/2014It all started out wrong. We arrived 5 mintes prior to our reservation and were told we were early and they couldn't seat us even though half the resturant was empty. 20 mintes later (15 minutes after our reservation) we were seated. We had a drink in the bar and no big deal Once seated at our table we sat for 15 minutes with no sevice. We decided to return to the bar - there was service there. We ordered dinner quickly there. The salads and bread came out quickly too. Although the bar tender dropped the bread on the bar. But instead of replacing it, he just picked it up and put it on our bread plate - was a turn off. The meal was flavorfull but small portion I wonder if this resturant would survive if the theater wasn't so close.
- The staff was not very quick,KourtDined on 4/12/2014The staff was not very quick, the woman who was greeting was rude, we greeted her, she did not speak to us until we spoke to her. We waited 40 minutes for our table, then we were sat next to a vent with freezing air pouring out of it. The table next to us had their outdoor coats on at the table, in a fine dining restaurant due to the uncomfortable temperaure in our corner of the room. The bar was not stocked, they were out of the first two choices I picked. The food was very good, so maybe they put all of there focus on that. However I will not go back due to the service. We had to light our own candle at our table. Cmon.
- Not goodrca1981Dined on 4/12/2014We went to this restaurant for Detroit Restaurant Week. I'd say the only positive thing was that we got seated right away and we were there 10 min before our reservation. We ordered a couple dishes to share.n What a joke! to share? The portions were ridiculously small.The mac and cheese looked like kraft mac and cheese from a box and like they just added some truffle oil. My hubby, myself and one of the two friends we were with ordered the halibut entree. When the waiter brought the dishes he warned us that the plates were very hot. We assumed that meant our dinner as well. Mine and our friends fish was room temp and my husbands was COLD.He told the waiter who said he'd send over a manager. The manager never came by to check on us.
- Table and service were unacceptablefinedinerDined on 4/12/2014We had a reservation and were escorted to our table which was positioned half in a hallway and half in the dining room. There was inadequate room for anyone to get by without hitting the chair. I asked for an alternate table and even though there were tables available, they only offered a seat at the bar. We sat down at the inadequate table and started to look at the menu. I was greeted by an unappealing dust ball on the table and my chair was bumped by passers by several times in only a couple of minutes. We got up and left. The hostess grunted and was very rude as we left. Although we had a positive experience in the past at this restaurant, I cannot recommend it and will not be returning.
- What an amazing place!Themz517Dined on 4/11/2014This beautiful restaurant is tucked away in a neighborhood behind the Fisher Theater and is absolutely wonderful. It has all those things you look for in a great restaurant - great service (Ashley was our very knowledgable and terrific server), amazing food, beautiful ambience set in an old mansion and different rooms are set up to sit in - very romantic. I would recommend it to all -Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!RonaldoDined on 4/11/2014I have long enjoyed this restaurant. Seems I forget it is there and don't go for months, but when I do, it is always fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Visit it for restaurant weekOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/11/2014Wife, girlfriend & I, went for restrauant week and we not disappointed, all the food was delicious, flavorful, and large portions. Will be going backSpecial Features:
- Beautiful house in New Center areawaveplayerDined on 4/11/2014Loved the halibut and corn chowder during restaurant week. Was not too long a wait for food, as others have said. Very good service and food was also tasty and well presented.Special Features:
- Tried the Restaurant WeekboboVIPDined on 4/11/2014Tried the Restaurant Week menu & were both very pleased with our choices. They also served us in a timely manor so we didn't have to rush to our DSO concert. Cuisine is dependedly good & we always enjoy our dining (and drinking!) experiences there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-theater treatGierusVIPDined on 4/11/2014Cuisine is a nice choice if you are headed for the Fisher Theatre just down the street (or alleyway...safe!). It has a nice ambience, and the menu is interesting enough to captrue your attention. Unfortunately the menu that is on the website is not always available, particularly the souffles...so that was a bit of a disappointment since souffles are hard to find in Detroit restaurants, so we were looking forward to those. The wine list is pretty well curated for mid-range prices and nice quality. Our server was amongst the best I've encountered in the area-- friendly, helpful, added to our experience in a bright way. This is hard to find especially in metro Detroit.Special Features: