Detroit, MI 48202Neighborhood:
Contemporary FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cuisinerestaurant.com/
- Phone: 3138725110
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Paul Grosz
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Cuisine on the go! Please call for details. 313.872.5110
- Private Party Facilities: Cuisine's second floor offers full privacy or you may rent the entire house for the evening with a full customized menu.
- Private Party Contact: Paul Grosz 3138725110x
A word from Cuisine
Enjoy Contemporary French-American Cuisine under the direction of Chef - owner Paul Grosz. Seasonally changing appetizers and entrees with a large impact on vegetarian cuisine. Wine pairings are available for all menus.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cuisine reviews from OpenTable diners
59 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (42)special occasion (39)neighborhood gem (34)romantic (33)good for groups (15)notable wine list (14)late-night find (6)great for lunch (3)hot spot (3)great for brunch (3)scenic view (2)great for outdoor dining (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- AMAZINGOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014A WONDERFUL meal in a great location. New Center is perfect and so is this restaurant.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/28/2014Great ambiance, food and service! Went for restaurant week, and we will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014I take into account that it's restaurant week, however service was very poor. Staff seemed very irritated that we would ask for things. Before we got sat, they said they were just waiting on the server to fold napkins. Upon being sat 45 minutes after our reservation and our table was finally ready, there were 2 napkins folded out of 9 and we even had to ask for the 7. Food sold out, I understand that, no complaints but serving portions seemed very inconsistent in size. Food wasn't very hot either. Before being sat, I waited at the bar for 10 minutes for one drink. Maybe another bartender or two.
- Outstanding serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014We experienced very good service. As always there are several service people and each one attended to our needs. Plus the fact that it was restaurant week and extremely busy, we were met at the door with smiles and courtesy to the end when our bill need to be adjusted. Food presentation was also extremely nice. Definitely a return visit will be occurring.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Detroit Restaurant Weekpct1949Dined on 9/27/2014We dined at Cuisine through their participation in Detroit Restaurant Week. The food was excellent and the service was prompt and very professional. This was my fourth meal at Cuisine and I will certainly return.Special Features:
- Dinner at CuisineOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014Four of us ate at Cuisine during Detroit Restaurant Week. This restaurant was located across the street from the Fisher Building which would make it a great spot if you are attending a play. The restaurant is very attractive and welcoming. The food was amazing. Three of us had fish and one had the beef entree, they were all wonderful. We also purchased a bottle of wine which was delightful. The staff is energetic and friendly. We will definitely return and bring others with us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant WeekOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/27/2014We visited Cuisine on Saturday early evening. We hadn't been there in quite a long time. It was just beginning to get busy when we arrived. it was restaurant week & Annie was at the Fisher Theater. Service was very good, we asked our server to slow down, as we felt we were being rushed. The special menu was quite nice & a great value over the regular menu prices. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VERY DISAPPOINTEDOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/27/2014In hopes of having a romantically fun-filled dinner date, we were instead put in the middle upstairs with a throng of kids at several tables. Many "unruly" children were dodging under tables and at most times using loud "playground" voices. In this upscale venue, it behooves me that adults choose to bring their darlings to such an establishment. It only ruins the experience of others - like ourselves. So the NOISE LEVEL rating of ENERGETIC is such a misnomer - it was down right LOUD and OBNOXIOUS. The service was very poor. In fact my date mentioned that our table was strictly placed for her to "trip over" and realize she needed to attend. What a shame too, because the food did not disappoint. We will NOT return nor recommend.Special Features:
- Dinner at CuisineagentlittleDined on 9/27/2014Our order was simple, 4 buttered pasta, 3 caesar salads, beef and the pork shoulder. One 1 and 20 minutes later and we still didn't have our food. It arrived at 7:10, but who wants to scarf down food in 10 minutes? The waitress promised our order was up -- and would get it, but we saw her take orders form different tables. The food, except the pork, was horrible. The risotto looked and tasted like mush. The beef looked and tasted like bad cafeteria food. I have more examples but not enough characters allow me to write them. The management never came over to offer an apology. They don't care about customer satisfaction. Our children exhibited more manners and respectful behavior then the staff at the restaurant. The bread is good.
- Delicous and exactly what I expectOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014Food was pretty good. I had the chicken breast as my main entree. The breast was tender yet flavorful. I was full after eating the chicken and the appetizer. The appetizer I selected was the clam chowder. It was okay, but could have had more flavor to it. I had the dessert of the pound cake. The portions on the dessert were very meager. I enjoyed everything but the dessert cause I wanted MORE!!Special Features:
- nice experiencekourtyumDined on 9/26/2014I will say that the service was a bit slow but I anticipated that knowing it was a Friday night and restaurants week. But that is my only complaint. I loved loved loved the food! I had potato leek soup which was delicious. And my halibut was perfect. My companion enjoyed his food as well. The pork shoulder was tender and moist and he devoured the goat cheese grits. Although the dessert cake was harder than I prefer, i enjoyed the plum compote and almond ice cream. I used to work almost walking distance from this gem and never noticed it. Glad i got to try it out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DRWCjdnoviVIPDined on 9/25/2014We haven't been to Cuisine in years but decided to try if for DRW. The service was pretty slow when we arrived. We had to ask for water and then the bread that was promised. Also we were seated in a darker corner but the restaurant was full which was nice. The service picked up and the waiter became more attentive. We all agreed that the food was excellent. The halibut was prepared just right and the pork shoulder was outstanding. We will visit again.
- A restaurant week win!MSPBODYDined on 9/25/2014Prompt service. Outstanding menu. Good wine list. Spectacular food. You can't ask for more Cuisine is as good as it getsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and ServicecoupemanDined on 9/25/2014Third time we eaten here and have never been disappointed, we went this time as part of Detroit Restaurant Week so the cost was reasonable too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegant, but cozy and comfortableOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/25/2014Had dinner with 2 friends here during Detroit Restaurant Week. Great atmosphere, since it's in a converted house. Easy to have conversation during dinner. My food choices included the kale/melon/feta cheese salad, and pork shoulder, which was tender and delectable. Wait staff was fantastic. Only slight disappointment was my dessert choice, a butter cake served with fruit compote, because the cake was too dry. Wine list was not extensive, but there were good choices. I would return gladly return in the future!Special Features:
- Excellent dinnerMickDined on 9/25/2014Halibut was great. Everyone was friendly and accommodating. Will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/24/2014I love this restaurant. The food is always delicious and the staff very helpful. This is one of my favorite places to eat. If you want to treat yourself to a French dinner, go here!Special Features:
- Great DiscoverySnuziDined on 9/24/2014So glad we tried Cuisine during Detroit Restaurant Week. The reviews we read indicated that we could hate it or love it and we booked it thinking we might just love it, and we did. Beautiful place, wonderful food and attentive staff. The Cuisine Salad is outstanding, and I just eat salad because I think I should, but I don't expect to enjoy it. Don't miss the buttered asparagus either, it's really good! The main courses were great and we could not ask for better service, and then we got dessert, WOW! We'll be back.Special Features:
- Food was excellent, service averageOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/23/2014The eating portion of my dinner at Cuisine went without a hitch. First course was some sort of bitter greens salad with candied nuts, radishes, and pears. The salad was very tasty. Next was the beef ribs with faygo sauce. Yes, they used a soda based sauce to give it flavor. The ribs were some of the most tender ribs I have ever eaten. After that the dessert was the least favorite meal in an overall really good meal. The desert was pumpkin spice creme brulee. I was going to give it a bad rating since it was cold, but apparently that is how you are supposed to eat it. So meh. But for the service. The guy seemed to disappear for long periods of time. Although he only had 5 tables, he could have provided better service...Special Features:
- Poor Seat or Bad Service?bll1010Dined on 9/23/2014We visited during Rest. Week. The host put us at a table in the bar area, mentioning that he likes it because it's kind of private. I disagree. The majority of the tables in the restaurant showcase the beautiful architecture of the old home that Cuisine inhabits, but ours did not. The bar tender was our waiter, but he was less than attentive. Once placed, our courses came in quick succession and they were delicious. The halibut with risotto and the pot de creme were favorites. As we left, we overheard the bar tender telling a couple about how it can be challenging to talk to people who aren't accustomed to eating nice food. A furtive glance came our way. We left having had a decadent meal, but feeling like second class citizens.Special Features:
- NiceW3nlynDined on 9/21/2014Cuisine had a very nice menu variety for Detroit Restaurant Week. I was a little disappointed in the leek soup but the pork was fabulous! The atmosphere was so quiet on a Sunday night. Almost too quiet. Our server was great and gave our privacy. Overall a great dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service and FoodB2TheDDined on 9/21/2014We got to the restaurant on time. The Hostess was waiting to seat us, very friendly, we were set immediately. Had the Kale and Melon salad, the combination of flavors and texture was excellent. I had the Halibut and my date had the Braised Pork, we both enjoyed our dinners immensely. The services was excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place, great food.WysiwygDined on 9/20/2014Booked last Saturday, during Detroit Restaurant Week. It was surprising that quality of the meal and presentation were equal to the regular menu. Service could had been a bit faster, but the experience was excellent. We will be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DRWFoodNessDined on 9/20/2014I visited Cuisine during DRW because I wanted to try a new place. The food was pretty good but it took WAY TOO LONG to get it. The staff was very nice & apologetic to everyone for the long wait. I would visit Cuisine again but I'd order the food to-go to avoid the long wait.Special Features:
- Awful service!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/20/2014Service was horrific. Food took forever to get. The server complained she had too many tables to wait, tried to get us to order less food, and was too busy talking to her co-workers to service out table.Special Features:
- Restaurant WeekStephDined on 9/20/2014Went on a Saturday night for restaurant week, and the food was great except we should have skipped the truffle mac & cheese. There was a long wait between the appetizer and the entrée though. They actually tried to serve dessert first not realizing the entrée hadn't come yet. We had to wave over the waiter who then apologized for the wait and had our bottle of wine taken off the bill for the wait. Other than the wait it's in an old house, which is nice, but as it rained that night there was water dripping from the ceiling behind us (they actually brought out buckets to collect it). The staff was nice, but seemed uncoordinated. My friends and I weren't in any hurry and we did have a good time, but the few these things were memorable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DetroitfoodieDined on 9/20/2014During restaurant week you would hope that they had enough severs. they didn't. Everyone working seemed confused. It was raining and the water was leaking through the roof next to us. It was all just plain weird and we won't be back.Special Features:
- great time great foodstillafoodieVIPDined on 9/20/2014Went for restaurant week and Cuisine did not disappoint. We went with a large group (which is not their specialty) and they stepped up and delivered. Will be back and look forward to ordering off of their regular menu. ..which looked fantasticSpecial Features:
- 2nd trip BackarohdeDined on 9/20/2014We like Cuisine and the Detroit Restaurant Week menu. This was our second time back. This time we were seated on the second floor near the servers station- I would have rather not been so close. There was an extreme amount of hubbub surrounding this station and it would have been nice to have a little more privacy. The restaurant was very busy, however, due to the opening weekend of DRW, so it can be forgiven. The courses were great- but I did not like the salad. Thankfully, my husband switched me his Potato Leek Soup, and that was delicious. He enjoyed the salad, but it was slightly too bitter for me. We loved our entrees and desserts and the truffle oil macaroni and cheese. It took quite some time between courses. But, we will be back.Special Features:
- A very pleasant experience.PatrykDined on 9/19/2014I have visited Cuisine for another edition of Restaurant Week. The menu choices were good, everything was tasty as well. The service, although very slow (as always at this establishment) was excellent. Our party ordered different options from the three course menu and they were all good. I was hoping more for high end options and what we got was more "home style" food with a better presentation. I love the ambiance of the place. It's got that old Detroit feel to it. It is also very conductive to having conversations, as the noise level is low to moderate, which to me is huge plus as I very much dislike restaurants where I have to shout across the table to be heard. Over all the evening was a successful one, better than last year's visit.Special Features:
- Close to an Amazing ExperiencerajabeeDined on 9/19/2014Great food in a historical setting. Excellent service. Convenient location. But for some unknown reason they were listening to a 90's rock playlist too loudly and it gave the whole experience a bit of disjointed feeling. Throw in a jazz playlist or the Rat Pack and I'd have been raving about our experience! :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/14/2014Everything was perfect. Great service and food was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dave EOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/8/2014The contemporary French cuisine was terrific. Selected the set menu and the range of tastes were extraordinary. Service was also very pleasant - attentive, informative but not overbearing.Special Features:
- A needed caveatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/1/2014If this were my first time at Cuisine, I might be even more lukewarm, but I have been there dozens of times. I consider it one of the two or three best restaurants in Metropolitan Detroit, a frequently overlooked gem. I regularly recommend it to friends and visitors. My reponses to the ratings above represent an experience on an off night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experienceRalphVIPDined on 7/26/2014We went to Cuisine for the first time and loved everything about the restaurant. It is built into the former residence of the Fisher family, former owners of the Fisher Theater. Every aspect of our meal was made to perfection, from the appetizers to the main course to dessert. This will likely become my new favorite Detroit area restaurant. The prices are very reasonable given the food and restaurant quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still excellent!ECBGDined on 7/12/2014I dined here before a show downtown. While it's not in the theater district, it's just a short 5-minute drive up Woodward. Our server was enthusiastic. The food was excellent. The Parmesan risotto is creamy and delicious. The quail stuffed with sweetbreads is divine, as is the tenderloin. I didn't care for the Caeser with prosciutto since I am a traditionalist where Caeser salad is concerned- I also has to wait longer for it than my companions did for their salads. That was the only service blip. Haven't been here in years but will definitely be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/28/2014Food was great and the prices were very reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 585 reviews are from the Cuisine reviews archive.
- boboVIPDined on 5/31/2014Our food overall was delicious (loved the sauces!), but we felt the portions could have been more generous.I would recommend this to a friend.
- CoyoteDined on 5/16/2014The cuisine is creative, well executed, and good value. The staff is attentive and courteous. Best of all this place is unpretentious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good cuisine at CuisineLisas98Dined on 5/16/2014We had a lovely dinner at Cuisine - the restaurant offers some private spots making it easy to talk and enjoy the meal. The West Side Story dinner option offered some great choices at an affordable price. There were 3 of us and we tried the spare ribs and halibut - both were nicely cooked and flavorful. We also had an extra side of macaroni and cheese that was very tasty. We did decide that the carrot lime cake dessert with cinnamon ice cream was the BEST!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.