Detroit, MI 48202Neighborhood:
Contemporary FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cuisinerestaurant.com/
- Phone: (313) 872-5110
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Paul Grosz
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Cuisine on the go! Please call for details. 313.872.5110
- Private Party Facilities: Cuisine's second floor offers full privacy or you may rent the entire house for the evening with a full customized menu.
- Private Party Contact: Paul Grosz 3138725110x
A word from Cuisine
Enjoy Contemporary French-American Cuisine under the direction of Chef - owner Paul Grosz. Seasonally changing appetizers and entrees with a large impact on vegetarian cuisine. Wine pairings are available for all menus.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Cuisine - Best Restaurants in Detroit ›
Cuisine reviews from OpenTable diners
100 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (61)fit for foodies (60)neighborhood gem (57)romantic (44)notable wine list (21)good for groups (19)late-night find (9)hot spot (5)great for brunch (4)vibrant bar scene (4)great for lunch (3)scenic view (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- A GemfoodieVIPDined on 11/21/2014Had the most awesome pork shoulder ever. The meat was moist, tender and delicious. Couldn't have asked for a better recommendation from Chef Tom. Can't wait to return and have another wonderful meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TERRIBLE SERVICERobertDined on 11/15/2014After mediocre service on our previous visit to Cuisine, we decided to give them one more try. This time was the absolute worst. We were seated at a table for 2 placed 1 inch from another table for 2 squeezed in the center of the restaurant. After being seated,we waited 15 minutes before anyone came to our table to greet us. At that point, they brought another couple and sat them right next to us at the other table for 2 as if we were a foursome. The waiter then took our order as a foursome. We then knew why they didn't wait on us before. They wanted to save time by serving us as a foursome instead of as 2 twosomes. These 2 strangers were included in our meal and we had absolutely no privacy. It was the worst experience and service that we've ever had at a restaurant. It's clear that the restaurant values collecting the most money by squeezing people in by whatever means over giving a high quality dining experience to their customers. We will never go to Cuisine again, nor will we recommend it to anyone. It deserves zero stars!
- Very enjoyablemjpcpaDined on 11/15/2014Its been a while since being at Cuisine, but from the welcome to the table to the waitress and staff that attended to our needs, it was great. The waitress even brought over a couple of bottles of wine for my wife to select from, letting her taste whatever she wanted to. (A happy woman goes a long way). The set price menu was new but refreshing in that you had good choices for every course to pick from. The plating and food were very nice. Even desert was enough to be satisfied. We will be visiting soon again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome place.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/12/2014Awesome place to grab dinner before the theater. Love the fact that they serve food on hot plates. Entire staff was friendly and knowledgeable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MenuboboVIPDined on 11/11/2014Checked out the menu before visiting & was looking forward to the charcuterie plate, etc. However, when we arrived we were told we could only order either of the two pre-frix menus. Disappointing. We ordered the sturgeon (very fishy...not good) & also the pork, which was excellent. Told our server one of us was celebrating a birthday, so they wrote "Happy Birthday" on the plate in chocolate which made it special, but no free dessert.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Theater DiningflyfishDined on 11/6/2014We had tickets for the Fisher Theater. The service was efficient, not rushed. We were in and out in about 1.25 hours but fully enjoyed the dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hungrykathyhungrykathyDined on 11/6/2014I have been here at least a dozen of times over the last few years and every time has been outstanding. It is a charming setting, no matter where you sit. The food is always excellent. The service is courteous, friendly and very professional. On this recent visit I invited 3 friends who had never heard about Cuisine (and they all considered themselves regular Downtown Detroit diners!). They were sooo impressed and all said they would definitely go return.Special Features:
- Inferior ServiceDrewinA2Dined on 11/1/2014Our server was poorly trained. She could not answer questions about the menu. Luckily our entrees of lamb and duck were very good. We got our entrees in 5 minutes but dessert took 30 minutes. My husband ordered a berry tart dessert and it tasted like a Hostess treat. He asked a question about dessert wine and the server said she'd check but she never came back. The restaurant had gotten crowded by the time we finished our entrees and we were forgotten by our server. It took us 45 minutes to get our check from her. The food is not enough to make up for the lack of service. We won't be back.Special Features:
- It was a pleasure eating thereblondyDined on 10/30/2014The location is great if you're going to a show at the Fisher Theater. Food was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/29/2014Great food and service. Lovely French style with fixed price option. Great location to have dinner before the theater at the Fisher.Special Features:
- MamaDDined on 10/26/2014Cuisine in one of my favorites and perfect for pre-theater dining. It's on the street just north of the Fisher Building and is well maintained and has lots of charm. Waiters are attentive and knowledgeable. The wine list is good. I especially enjoy the by the glass offerings. I like to split one or more of the menu items as the portions are generous, and there are many tempting choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special PlacefoodloverDined on 10/26/2014This was our first time dining at Cuisine and were pleased with the experience. We chose the restaurant because it's location was within easy walking distance to the Fisher Theater but were very pleased with the inviting dining room, attentive service and wonderful food. We plan to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the kitchen is BROKENinthearenaDined on 10/24/2014Like most of the restaurant on the night we were there, we had tickets to the Fisher theater. The show was at 8. Our reservations were for 5:45. It took 40 minutes to get our order taken and our party of 4 ordered off the set menu. An unexceptional dinner arrived an hour and 25 minutes later. My entree was the lamb chops and was completely cold. We ate in 5 minutes and got no dessert - but were charged for dessert. The waiter apologized and took a couple of drinks off the bill. We were rooting for a good restaurant in Detroit but Chef Ramsey where are you?
- Pre Theater dinnerAbbaDined on 10/23/2014Close to the Fisher theater, walking distance. Not crowded, service was ok, friendly, messed up the bill, some food under cooked and everyone was finished before her food came back. But the food was good.
- Delightful EveningNeesyDined on 10/23/2014Booked a leisurely 5:30 pre theatre reservation,seated in front window table:). Menu was scaled down to handle theater volume but choices were varied. Our table had the fix price,3 course menu at $42/person. Salads were delish but could have been larger. Lamb chops and california sturgeon were excellent and portioned appropriately. One diner ordered the beef even though not recommended by our server, it was bland!:( Dessert was good and just enough. Service was excellent,would definitely go back to try full menu. So convenient to the Fisher,overall a great evening out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding experianceDHWestBloomVIPDined on 10/18/2014It is always such a great pleasure dining at Cuisine. We arrived fairly late, after an Opera event and were probably the last guests to show up that night. Regardless, the staff were very patient, allowed us to take time and make our choices, and didn't rush the food to the table. The Foie Gras was warm and delicious, the Wagyu Sirloin absolutely tender and cooked to my liking in its own sauce, and the same goes to the Beef Tenderloin Medallions. Excellent service, delicious food in a quiet pleasant atmosphere, with reasonable pricing. What more can one ask for? Highly recommended.Special Features:
- CoyoteDined on 10/18/2014Never disappointed. Great food and service. The food is creative and well executed. The is one of the few high end restaurants where I always leave with the feeling it was worth the price.Special Features:
- Simply ExquisiteLovetoeatVIPDined on 10/11/2014... Not sure what else can be said. I was there in a party of 6 and EVERYONE totally enjoyed their experience at Cuisine; from the delectable food to the great service. If you have not been there, you MUST try it.Special Features:
- GandBDined on 10/4/2014We requested an extraordinarily early reservation and were immediately seated and quickly served. The food, as well as the service, was excellent. We dine at Cuisine whenever we attend the Fisher (a couple of times a year) and the food and service always exceeds our expectations. We especially appreciate the wonderful service at the adjacent parking lot. We will be there again on Saturday, 11/15. Bon appetite!Special Features:
- AMAZINGOpenTableReviewsDined on 9/28/2014A WONDERFUL meal in a great location. New Center is perfect and so is this restaurant.Special Features:
- Open table reviewAk3536VIPDined on 9/28/2014We have been to cuisine multiple times. The food is always amazing. Chef Grosz does an amazing job.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/28/2014Great ambiance, food and service! Went for restaurant week, and we will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor serviceJonwon1Dined on 9/27/2014I take into account that it's restaurant week, however service was very poor. Staff seemed very irritated that we would ask for things. Before we got sat, they said they were just waiting on the server to fold napkins. Upon being sat 45 minutes after our reservation and our table was finally ready, there were 2 napkins folded out of 9 and we even had to ask for the 7. Food sold out, I understand that, no complaints but serving portions seemed very inconsistent in size. Food wasn't very hot either. Before being sat, I waited at the bar for 10 minutes for one drink. Maybe another bartender or two.
- Outstanding serviceProgressivedinerDined on 9/27/2014We experienced very good service. As always there are several service people and each one attended to our needs. Plus the fact that it was restaurant week and extremely busy, we were met at the door with smiles and courtesy to the end when our bill need to be adjusted. Food presentation was also extremely nice. Definitely a return visit will be occurring.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Detroit Restaurant Weekpct1949Dined on 9/27/2014We dined at Cuisine through their participation in Detroit Restaurant Week. The food was excellent and the service was prompt and very professional. This was my fourth meal at Cuisine and I will certainly return.Special Features:
- Dinner at CuisineYummyDined on 9/27/2014Four of us ate at Cuisine during Detroit Restaurant Week. This restaurant was located across the street from the Fisher Building which would make it a great spot if you are attending a play. The restaurant is very attractive and welcoming. The food was amazing. Three of us had fish and one had the beef entree, they were all wonderful. We also purchased a bottle of wine which was delightful. The staff is energetic and friendly. We will definitely return and bring others with us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant WeekVings311Dined on 9/27/2014We visited Cuisine on Saturday early evening. We hadn't been there in quite a long time. It was just beginning to get busy when we arrived. it was restaurant week & Annie was at the Fisher Theater. Service was very good, we asked our server to slow down, as we felt we were being rushed. The special menu was quite nice & a great value over the regular menu prices. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VERY DISAPPOINTEDBummerDateDined on 9/27/2014In hopes of having a romantically fun-filled dinner date, we were instead put in the middle upstairs with a throng of kids at several tables. Many "unruly" children were dodging under tables and at most times using loud "playground" voices. In this upscale venue, it behooves me that adults choose to bring their darlings to such an establishment. It only ruins the experience of others - like ourselves. So the NOISE LEVEL rating of ENERGETIC is such a misnomer - it was down right LOUD and OBNOXIOUS. The service was very poor. In fact my date mentioned that our table was strictly placed for her to "trip over" and realize she needed to attend. What a shame too, because the food did not disappoint. We will NOT return nor recommend.Special Features:
- Dinner at CuisineagentlittleDined on 9/27/2014Our order was simple, 4 buttered pasta, 3 caesar salads, beef and the pork shoulder. One 1 and 20 minutes later and we still didn't have our food. It arrived at 7:10, but who wants to scarf down food in 10 minutes? The waitress promised our order was up -- and would get it, but we saw her take orders form different tables. The food, except the pork, was horrible. The risotto looked and tasted like mush. The beef looked and tasted like bad cafeteria food. I have more examples but not enough characters allow me to write them. The management never came over to offer an apology. They don't care about customer satisfaction. Our children exhibited more manners and respectful behavior then the staff at the restaurant. The bread is good.
- FoodLoverDined on 9/27/2014Everyone in our party of four thoroughly enjoyed the food and wine. We went during Detroit's Restaurant Week but we will definitely be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicous and exactly what I expectOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014Food was pretty good. I had the chicken breast as my main entree. The breast was tender yet flavorful. I was full after eating the chicken and the appetizer. The appetizer I selected was the clam chowder. It was okay, but could have had more flavor to it. I had the dessert of the pound cake. The portions on the dessert were very meager. I enjoyed everything but the dessert cause I wanted MORE!!Special Features:
- nice experiencekourtyumDined on 9/26/2014I will say that the service was a bit slow but I anticipated that knowing it was a Friday night and restaurants week. But that is my only complaint. I loved loved loved the food! I had potato leek soup which was delicious. And my halibut was perfect. My companion enjoyed his food as well. The pork shoulder was tender and moist and he devoured the goat cheese grits. Although the dessert cake was harder than I prefer, i enjoyed the plum compote and almond ice cream. I used to work almost walking distance from this gem and never noticed it. Glad i got to try it out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining in all ways, but...ARRRGHDined on 9/26/2014...the parking lot owner Tony, next to Cusine is a surly insulting nasty ahole. Our encounter with him just before dining started the Cuisine experience off on the wrong foot, but the fine food and service from Nick overcame it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DRWCjdnoviVIPDined on 9/25/2014We haven't been to Cuisine in years but decided to try if for DRW. The service was pretty slow when we arrived. We had to ask for water and then the bread that was promised. Also we were seated in a darker corner but the restaurant was full which was nice. The service picked up and the waiter became more attentive. We all agreed that the food was excellent. The halibut was prepared just right and the pork shoulder was outstanding. We will visit again.
- A restaurant week win!MSPBODYDined on 9/25/2014Prompt service. Outstanding menu. Good wine list. Spectacular food. You can't ask for more Cuisine is as good as it getsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and ServicecoupemanDined on 9/25/2014Third time we eaten here and have never been disappointed, we went this time as part of Detroit Restaurant Week so the cost was reasonable too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegant, but cozy and comfortableKatjamsDined on 9/25/2014Had dinner with 2 friends here during Detroit Restaurant Week. Great atmosphere, since it's in a converted house. Easy to have conversation during dinner. My food choices included the kale/melon/feta cheese salad, and pork shoulder, which was tender and delectable. Wait staff was fantastic. Only slight disappointment was my dessert choice, a butter cake served with fruit compote, because the cake was too dry. Wine list was not extensive, but there were good choices. I would return gladly return in the future!Special Features:
- Excellent dinnerMickDined on 9/25/2014Halibut was great. Everyone was friendly and accommodating. Will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/24/2014I love this restaurant. The food is always delicious and the staff very helpful. This is one of my favorite places to eat. If you want to treat yourself to a French dinner, go here!Special Features:
- Great DiscoverySnuziDined on 9/24/2014So glad we tried Cuisine during Detroit Restaurant Week. The reviews we read indicated that we could hate it or love it and we booked it thinking we might just love it, and we did. Beautiful place, wonderful food and attentive staff. The Cuisine Salad is outstanding, and I just eat salad because I think I should, but I don't expect to enjoy it. Don't miss the buttered asparagus either, it's really good! The main courses were great and we could not ask for better service, and then we got dessert, WOW! We'll be back.Special Features: