505 Laurel Street
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cucinaurbana.com/home
- Phone: 6192392222x
- Hours of Operation:
SUNDAY | 4:30p - 9p
MONDAY| 5p - 9p
TUESDAY, WEDNESDAY, THURSDAY | 5p – 10p
FRIDAY + SATURDAY | 5p – 10:30p dinner | 10:30p – 12a pizza + vasi
TUESDAY - THURSDAY | 11:30a-2p
FRIDAY | 11:30a-5p
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Italian
- Executive Chef: Joe Magnanelli
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: URBAN KITCHEN CATERING provides four star, stunning events with menus unique to your occasion. For more information check the URBAN KITCHEN CATERING link on our website www.urbankitchengroup.com or call Alison at 619.239.2222 extension 2. Or if interested in restaurant buyout opportunities, please contact Tiffany Tassano at 619.239.2222 extension 1.
A word from CUCINA urbana
Welcome to CUCINA urbana, a casual Italian American Neighborhood Kitchen and Wine Shop located in the heart of Banker's Hill. The menu highlights the cuisines of various Italian regions with a distinct California ‘farm to table’ flair for which the Urban Kitchen Group has become known. Chef Joe Magnanelli is excited to preview his Italian heritage and create dishes that are fresh, simple and seasonal. Items include: antipasti, artisan pizza, pasta and piatti. Enjoy wine by the glass or visit the Wine Spectator award-winning wine shop and select a bottle from over 100 selections at retail price ($8 corkage fee applies). The space features contemporary elements and vintage artifacts creating the feel of a modern Italian kitchen combined with the history and comfort of an old rustic country farmhouse. A focus on raw, sustainable material is evident with much product coming from recycled/reclaimed local sources.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
CUCINA urbana - Best Restaurants in Banker's Hill ›
CUCINA urbana reviews from OpenTable diners
387 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (275)hot spot (206)neighborhood gem (201)special occasion (193)notable wine list (189)good for groups (121)vibrant bar scene (120)romantic (108)great for lunch (55)late-night find (33)kid-friendly (19)great for brunch (8)great for outdoor dining (4)scenic view (4)Show More
- Great food. Inviting atmosphere.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/20/2014Enjoyed our dinner. Staff was accommodating and friendly. Food amazing. Would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing spotBillVIPDined on 10/18/2014Great food great drinks would definitely go back because my meal was fantasticSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- From A to EOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014From the Appetizers to the Entrees, this restaurant excelled. the stuffed squash blossoms and grilled octopus appetizers were delicious, although too expensive. I chose the veal sausage entree which was exceptional. The service fell apart towards the end of the meal but all in all, it was a good experience and I would return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistent and GreatRickCDined on 10/17/2014...I think. I'm addicted to the short rib papaderro(sp?). Amazing favors. Two at our table had the SRP. The spaghetti carbanerro looked good as well. Was a bit surprised by the very small cookie with a candle for a birthday celebration but might have been that one of the two tiramisu 's was comped. The zucchini blossoms were also good as usual along with the focaccia. The Rosemary honey butter is amazing! Make sure you get you reservation a week or two in advance especially if more than 4 persons.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/14/2014great treat for out of town company. noise level too much. Enjoyed the community table. Hostess was very accommodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always A+++ Dining and Service1happybellyVIPDined on 10/14/2014I enjoyed Cucina Urbana again, my 3rd time since late July. Always outstanding in every category. I can't say enough about the pork belly, squash blossoms, variety of salads....I haven't even gotten to an entrée so far. The customer service is extraordinary and staff always a pleasure to spend an evening with.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good , creative foodmojonana3Dined on 10/14/2014Four of us enjoyed a wonderful dinner before the theater. None of us had been there before and the food quality will bring us back. The shuttle service to the theater was very handy. Our waiter was very attentive and helpful with our choices.Special Features:
- localDined on 10/14/2014I hadn't been in for a awhile.....wow....salad was so SMALL for 11.50??? added chicken for an almost $20 salad???Special Features:
- Healthy and Very TastyBevgoDined on 10/10/2014Loved the ambience of this eclectic place. All staff were attentive and friendly. The Squash Blossom appetizer was the most wonderful I've ever had- crisp on the outside and yummy cheese in the middle. My Tuna Conserva was wonderful- the fish was moist and the sauce was delish. We brought in a "service dog in training" and the staff was very helpful in finding a good place for the dog to lay by our table and out of the way of the major traffic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- never disappointedPrincessDined on 10/9/2014Food is incredible- each and every time- service great, cocktails yummy- such a happy place to be!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty Much PerfectionOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/8/2014We came for a Wednesday date night and were lucky enough to get Peter as our server. He was very attentive, informative and spent time talking with us. We will definitely be back soon! The food was unbelievable and perfectly portioned. We enjoyed the Braised Beef Papperdelle, Pork Tenderloin, Brussel Sprouts and the Hummus Vasi. I can say nothing wrong about the food! Was a full house but not too loud and didn't feel like we were fighting for service or attention. Thanks for having us!Special Features:
- A wonderful experience!MeggleDined on 10/7/2014My husband and I recently moved to the area, and I chose this restaurant to celebrate his birthday. I had read about Cucina Urbana online; the reviewers gave it rave reviews for excellent food and a romantic setting. I ordered the sausage encrusted veal and the fried squash blossoms. He ordered an arugula salad and the shrimp Puttanesca. We both ordered a glass of wine. In addition, we received small flutes of champagne and a birthday dessert gratis in honor of the occasion. Everything was delicious! The service was top-notch as well. I look forward to my next dinner there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MarthaDined on 10/5/2014Great dinner here as it was the first time three years ago...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- biglooperDined on 10/5/2014Have never had any sort of bad experience at Cucina Urbana. Always on the list to where we bring out of towers to...Special Features:
- Good Food - Rude Servicekdnak22Dined on 10/3/2014Food was really good. Brussel Sprouts were AMAZING!!!! Our server at first seemed ok, but we found out that a couple people at the last minute could not make it to our dinner and so we were three people shy of our reservation for 8. We told the server that we were more than happy to move to another smaller table. When the server found outgot increasingly rude throughout the night. Very snarky to the point he was making the table unconfortable and he neglected to put in put in one of our orders.Special Features:
- AlexVIPDined on 10/3/2014Disappointing, been there before and had a different culinary experience. Pasta was stale, shrimp very rubbery (way overcooked). Red wine (extremely warm).I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/2/2014Dishes sampled that are highly recommended; chicken liver pate, polenta board, grilled octopus, pasta bolognese, fig and gorgonzola pizza, pasta carbonara, seasonal sorbet, semifreddo, and seasonal fruit tart with malted gelato. All of these selections were on point.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience!pointloma2Dined on 10/1/2014Service and food were excellent (especially the risotto!). Better yet, they had a free shuttle to and from the Old Globe theater When we returned our car was waiting right in front of the restaurant. They even kept our food in a refrigerator for us after the show - unfortunately we totally forgot it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great birthday dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/28/2014We had a wonderful meal. The squash blossoms were too die for. They brought a special dessert for my daughter's birthday. Excellent service. It is my favorite place to eat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed this timePZPPTDined on 9/28/2014The food was excellent as usual and our waiter was fine. We love Cucina Urbana and made this reservation to celebrate my husbands retirement (last day of work!) for "just the two of us". When we arrived, the two hostesses stated that they did not have our reservation even though they new my husbands first name? They barely looked at us and said they could seat us anyway and we were taken to a table next to the waiters entrance. Needless to say, it wasn't wait we had expected.Special Features:
- Post airport pickup of JAndy123VIPDined on 9/27/2014Late night dine w J, after flying home from San Antonio.. Oops, forgot it was rest week. Limited menus options, no worries. Staff was accommodating. Even waived corkage for sharing.Special Features:
- Anniversary disappointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/27/2014My husband & I have loved Cucina Urbana for the past 5 years & have always gone to celebrate special occasions, as we did on 09/27 for our 6 year wedding anniversary. I can only say that we were both so disappointed that I don't know if we'll be back for a long time. The service was awful, at one point I didn't even have silverware to eat my food. And I had wanted a second glass of wine with my dinner, but wasn't given a chance to ask. The food was lack luster, especially our dessert and because we were celebrating our anniversary I had wanted to enjoy a glass of champagne as well but instead of being asked how dessert was, I was given the bill. I left disappointed & frustrated that we had spent our anniversary not enjoying ourselves.Special Features:
- Just okayWineandDineDined on 9/26/2014We came here for restaurant week and had heard such great things before hand. With a reservation they were 20 minutes late seating us didn't offer a refreshment or bread while we waited. The waitress was incredibly rude, we were expecting someone to tell us about the menu choices since this was restaurant week. Instead she didn't offer any description of the choices, didn't ask us for our drink order and walked away mid sentence. The support staff was fairly attentive but by the end of the evening our water pitcher had been removed and was never returned so our glasses were empty, the check was dropped in the middle of desert and we left deciding never to come back because it just wasn't worth it.Special Features:
- Won't be coming here anymoreSadfacedinerDined on 9/26/201430 minutes wait after our reservation time before being seated. Hostess/bussers/bartender were great, our server was terrible. Didn't check on us, didn't run food, abnormally long wait before picking up check. Barely spoke to us at all the entire night. The entree (short rib par.) has gotten significantly worse than years before. More salty and less subtle red wine flavor. Virtually no meat in the dish as well.Special Features:
- Not Our FavoriteLuLuVIPDined on 9/26/2014We had heard such wonderful things about this restaurant so we decided to try it during restaurant week. The decor is lovely and lively - however, the food was overzealous in being eclectic for Italian food. We should have chosen the pizza - we had the sea bass and rib eye. The bass had way too many white beans and had a breading on it - not so good. The rib eye was just that - rib eye - could get that anywhere. The cheese plate had one blue cheese on it and the rest was some kind of ricotta in a little bowl and some fruit concoction - not good! Disappointed overall.
- cucinacafedinnerDined on 9/26/2014We have been to this place several times and it was always good. This time was different, the food was bad. I had the short ribs and it was mostly fat on the short rib. I major disappointment, especially since it was my wife's birthday.
- SonyDined on 9/26/2014Great choices for Restaurant Week lunches. I chose the $23 option and as a vegetarian I was elated to be able to have their carbonara pasta dish without the usual ham! Excellent Kale Ceasar Salad too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cucina UrbanaJoePellyDined on 9/24/2014Had a 7:30 reservation during restaurant week which is always fairly difficult to accommodate at CU. Had an awesome table in the middle of the wine pantry where the noise level seemed significantly lower then the main dining hall. Surprisingly quick service, some of the better cheese/salami plates in SD, and a great restaurant week menu made this a great place to treat my father and younger sister for restaurant week. Would highly recommend Cucina Urbana to anyone who has not tried it. They also have a North County location now too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid choiceShefriDined on 9/24/2014The food here is very good and prepared with attention to taste, freshness and presentation. We enjoyed the truffle parmesan fries which were very crispy, the way fries should be. I had an outstanding entree of short ribs over pappardelle which was very nuanced with lovely fresh pasta. My husband was a bit less enthusiastic about the duck over polenta, although it was good. It is a bit on the noisy side for me although many may just find it to be just a vibrant vibe. I would definitely return and do not hesitate to recommend it.Special Features:
- Great food, Greater serviceS3rvic3Dined on 9/23/2014I had completely forgotten about restaurant week and wanted to take my friend out for her birthday, luckily I was able to make a reservation last minute (thank you open table Gods) and the night was saved! Arrived on time and were sat within a few minutes by the very professional and friendly host. The person who walked us to our table was also very nice. Our server Kemper was great! He was very knowledgeable about the food and was able to narrow it down for me, as everything looked amazing. He always check in between courses and our wine/cocktails glasses were never empty, our water glasses were never empty either! Kemper brought out some gelattto and a champagne toast for my friend! How lovely! A happy birthday it was indeed. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good foodlaurelsDined on 9/23/2014The pizza and ragu boards are fantastic here. We came during restaurant week and prefer the options of the full menu, but it was still good. It is always a bit loud, but I still like the ambiance. The service is always very good.Special Features:
- Anniversary DinnerBoltswinDined on 9/23/2014Had an excellent meal. The ambiance was excellent for us, not too stuffy, but not too load either. Our server was very friendly, but made us feel like he was forgetting a couple of items we ordered. This was our first time visiting the restaurant, so it may be just how the meal flows there, but seems like a cheese appetizer we ordered should not have come out with our entrée. Not a big deal, but I felt like if I hadn't asked when it was going to be served we would not have received it.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/22/2014Food was great, but we were seated for 25 mins before our server even came to the table. After ordering salad, pizza, and dessert it took about 20 mins per course. If patience is not your strong suit or are very hungry, I recommend trying some place else.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty food and drinkscoipticDined on 9/22/2014Yet another great experience at Cucina Urbana! I love their pizzas--thin crust with just enough give and just enough crunch--and the fun twists on typical toppings. Will be back for more!Special Features:
- Not worth it.DisappointedDined on 9/21/2014With all the glowing reviews, we were excited to try Cucina Urbana. The atmosphere is comfortable and there is plenty of action. The food, however, is truly mediocre. We had the kale caesar which was bland and goopy. I had the puttanesca with shrimp on angel hair. The pasta was mushy and the sauce unremarkable. My wife had the cod which turned out to be the only good dish. My cheese plate had one piece of cheese on it and then some other unrecognizable items. Our server did not know the food very well and forget about the wine. When we told him our reactions to the food, he seemed truly uninterested. I cannot recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Average foodkrisDined on 9/19/2014From the moment we stepped into the restaurant to when we left it was very lackluster and blah. The hostesses did not treat us with anything but indifference, they may have been too busy having a personal conversation. The waitress came to our table and her voice was a whisper, in a noisy restaurant it was very hard to hear her. Onto the food, the first time we visited Urbana when it was newer and a hotspot the food was much much better. This time it was bland unexciting and average. I doubt we will go back, there are too many new and more exciting spots to try.Special Features:
- Perfect choice before theaterOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/19/2014Amazing creative decor matches the innovative menu! They also have a shuttle that drops off at The Old Globe Theater!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Goodtignino30Dined on 9/18/2014We like the food and the place is beautiful. However, the lack of attention for the server made the experience ok. She could have been more attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best meal we had in San Diego!healthyfoodieVIPDined on 9/18/2014Cucina Urbana was highly recommended to us, and I'm so glad we made it in during a recent trip to San Diego. The food was amazing, and was the best meal we had on our trip! We had some of the best prosciutto ever on the charcuterie board, and fell in love with the homemade jams served alongside the cheeses. Our mains (whole fish and rib eye) were cooked and seasoned perfectly. And the fig semifreddo dessert was so unique and tasty! I'll be back next time I'm in town, for sure.Special Features:
- Winegeeks & Cocktail AfficianadosJessicaVIPDined on 9/17/2014We stopped in with a friend visiting from Boston, and found so many choices we could easily still be there! Our cocktails were refreshing (Summer in Milan), original (Stranded Sicilian with smoked pineapple gin), and classic (Cucinegroni). The stuffed squash blossoms rank among the best I've had, and we ordered bread to soak up the dressing for the beet salad. The Librandi Gaglioppo, an offbeat red wine we drank with dinner, paired perfectly with our mushroom pizza, bucatini, and risotto. We nearly passed on dessert, but opted for a walk after trying the roasted strawberry fregolata and the even more amazing chocolate nutella zeppole with passion fruit creme.Special Features: