768 S 8th St
Philadelphia, PA 19147Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cucinaforte.com/
- Phone: (215) 238-0778
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 4:30pm - 11:00pm
Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Maria Forte
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, BYO Liquor, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout
A word from Cucina Forte
Welcome to Cucina Forte Italian Restaurant. I invite you to dine with us and experience an authentic Italian cuisine made with the freshest ingredients. I create every dish with love. The same tradition my mother started at our family restaurant in the Abbruzzi Region of Italy in 1965!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cucina Forte reviews from OpenTable diners
38 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (27)fit for foodies (19)special occasion (14)romantic (11)good for groups (5)scenic view (2)great for outdoor dining (1)hot spot (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- South Philly GreatnessDJK1VIPDined on 11/22/2014This is what South Philly dining is about. Great food in a handcrafted style that can be enjoyed without over thinking it. Gnocchi is king here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentJEveDined on 10/29/2014Still as good as it was 10 years ago when we first discovered this on a walk through south Philly. Our favorite BYO in city. Never disappoints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BtownDineDined on 10/19/2014Good Food but a bit pricey. We order the bare essentials (1 app and 2 entrees) and the bill was almost $100. But the food was very good and the quite sunday night was perfect after a busy weekend.
- Great food!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014Our appetizers and dinner were both fabulous. We were going to see a play down the street and we decided to eat dinner beforehand and it was a perfect choice. The risotto was one of the best I've had in a very long time. The pasta was fresh and was complimented with an amazing sauce.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a shame - really slippedeatemupDined on 10/11/2014Been years since I've been. Noise was deafening - easily the noisiest meal we've had in years. Only way to be heard over the collective din was to shout....which I guess every table did....which just added to the noise Food was bland at best. 4 different entrees. Two different Gnocchi preparations -- they are still feather light, but each with a sauce that had zero flavor. Lamb dish could have been made better at home. A buffalo mozzarella special that either wasn't buffalo or was the worst buffalo mozz I've ever had. Mussels were very salty, grilled Calamari wasn't bad. We skipped dessert just to escape the noise. So many great choices for Italian in Philly...pick one of them.
- Cucina "noisy" forteVinoDineDined on 10/4/2014This was a Saturday night at 8:30 and the restaurant was full and NOISY, very noisy. We were given a table in back of restaurant which was a little better for conversation. The pappardelle with braciole was decent but was slightly over cooked and the brown sauce was average at best. Service was excellent and will give them another try but food was only average at best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- remerbrance of ItalyseniorfoodieDined on 9/24/2014her food was excellent and creative; yes they are the BEST gnocchi everSpecial Features:
- Can you say Gnocchi!!RosieDined on 9/18/2014Very good food, good value, great atomsphere! Small, quaint dining roomin the heart of South Philly.Special Features:
- Food good; service mediocrecoolcustomerDined on 9/17/2014Went with friend who enjoyed the experience much more than I did.Special Features:
- Always a favorite!AllyoopDined on 9/12/2014We took friends there to celebrate their engagement because we knew the food would be outstanding & the atmosphere fun & lively on a Friday night, & it was. Don't leave without having the gnocchi.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Trattoriapine2dineDined on 9/12/2014Extremely warm and friendly staff including the owner/chef. You are embraced as one of the family. Food is superb! Especially homemade gnocchi and ravioli. Outstanding!! BYOB makes things even better..... A must go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MediocreOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/22/2014I had the grilled salmon. It was so dry, burned on the ends under seasoned. Rumor had it that the gnocchi was the best in the city. Rumor was wrong also under cooked n doughy. The flour for the white sauce was not cooked.
- Mike63Dined on 8/21/2014Dinner was great, as always. I wish we lived closer to Philadelphia.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/20/2014The gnocci was amazing! Restaurant was cozy and staff was friendly. Will definitely be back (for more gnocci and to try to filet with crab!).Special Features:
- DelicioushailDined on 8/10/2014Went here for my birthday with my boyfriend. It is a very cozy and romantic Italian BYO resturant. The host/ waitress was very kind and knowledgable of the menu and every single dish (she knew it all by heart). She was also very friendly. The food was amazing. I got the famous gnocci with lobster tail and it was delicious. My boyfriend enjoyed a perfectly cooked Medium steak! A little pricey but you definitely get what you pay for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 11 reviews are from the Cucina Forte reviews archive.
- Excellent as always!HappyEaterDined on 7/29/2014Cucina Forte is a gem - solid, South Philly Italian food, always well-prepared and delicious. The gnocci and the Dream Soup are the best!Special Features:
- Delicious gnocchiPhillyfoods2357Dined on 7/11/2014The gnocchi was a must have. Simply amazing. The service was great as well. I got the spaghetti with clams and it was just too salty for my taste.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Disappointing for a BYOBsouthphillygirlVIPDined on 6/28/2014Heard over the past few months good things about this restaurant. Let me begin by saying the food is good. The problem is the place is small and noisy. The service is very slow. We waited 40 mintues for our dinner on a Saturday night. Waiter never came back to check on us after we got our food. Specials are overpriced. Stick to the menu. This place has potential to be good. Needs better service fast.Special Features:
- MediocreKOD63Dined on 6/27/2014There were not many patrons at 7:30 on Friday night. My friend said their salad was fine and my wife's eggplant/crab appetizer was very good. The waiter forgot our order of their "signature dish" ricotta gnocchi which was hastily prepared after we received our entrees after we asked what happened. Some o the past was cold and the gnocchi were among the worst I have ever had. I have sampled this dish at a good number of restaurants in Philly and these were large and very heavy, dense. I did not like their menu which was small and unimaginative. I found their chairs to be uncomfortable with small seat and nonsupportive backs. The tuna was bland and did not taste like high quality. However, my lobster ravioli with shrimp was good. Veal chop ok
- Exquisitly wonderfulDelawareMikeDined on 6/27/2014We wanted to find a uniquely authentic Italian restaurant that was not on the "tourist trap" list. We were hosting a couple from our college days, who had never been to Philadelphia before. The review in "Yelp" made this one of our top picks. We were not disappointed at all. We were greeted by the host Vinny, who gave us personal attention as he took our wine and chilled it until we were ready to order. We started with the gnocchi as our appetizers. It was fantastic! The main courses were well prepared and delicious. Suggest you order the ricotta cheese cake, it was fluffy.Special Features:
- so good!cmarzDined on 6/17/2014you can't beat the gnocchi here, smothered in gorgonzola cheese~ worth the trip!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/4/2014Cucina Forte was outstanding. The staff I met was wonderful and extremely helpful. I recommend this to everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DREAM SOUPRyanpVIPDined on 5/29/2014Go during the week and order off the specials. Gnocchi for the table to share. Gloria is a doll! I love this place.Special Features:
- Gnocchi heavenbillybungaDined on 5/16/2014Love this place. Have been twice now. The gnocchi is fantastic, specials are always extensive and very very good. Make sure to work an order of gnocchi in to your meal in some fashion. Seafood options were tasty, and dishes are nice size for large personal meal, but great for sharing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High Expectations Poor ExperienceJoeyRVIPDined on 5/13/2014My husband and I love eating at BYOs near our neighborhood and this one caught our eye while we had a once-in-a-while night out. The ratings were great but unfortunately the food was not even close to out expectations. The bread was moldy, and specials of fresh fettuccine with shrimp too full of burnt garlic and the veal special saltinbocca was just average. We had high expectations but this was below average overall.
- DissappointingmemeDined on 5/10/2014This was our second time here, the first time everything was great. This time , not so good. Mussels were tough and sandy, my entree, pasta w/shrimp, olives, etc. was very salty and I was expecting homemade pasta, and it wasn't. It also could have been cooked a little more. Appetizer, eggplant with crabmeat roasted peppers, etc, was very good, as was the special lobster tail w/crabmeat over gnocchi. I like a restaurant that is consistent and we kind of felt this wasn't.Special Features: