261 Powell Street
Vancouver, BC V6A 1G3Neighborhood:
Latin AmericanPrice: CAN$30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cuchillo.ca/
- Phone: 6045597585x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner daily from 5:00pm - late
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Executive Chef: Stuart "The Unfrozen Caveman Chef" Irving
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Special Events: Thank you for choosing Cuchillo. Should your plans change, please let us know. We look forward to serving you. In order to facilitate our reservations, we request that you please acknowledge our 2 hour dining time for parties of two people, 2.25 period for parties of 3 to 5 people and 2.5 hours for groups of 6-8 people. If you feel that you may need more time, please indicate in the box below.
A word from Cuchillo
Where Gastown meets Railtown meets Japantown, Cuchillo serves up Modern Pan-Latin tapas with unique and classic cocktail creations in the sexiest room in town(s).Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Cuchillo - Best Restaurants in Gastown ›
Cuchillo reviews from OpenTable diners
132 reviews since May 18, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (111)good for groups (85)hot spot (68)neighborhood gem (59)special occasion (36)romantic (28)late-night find (26)vibrant bar scene (23)notable wine list (11)great for lunch (4)kid-friendly (4)great for brunch (3)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- Excellent MealOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/13/2014Went to Cuchillo restaurant with my wife, had the co-owners recommendations for dinner and it was fantastic. We were surprised with tuna ceviche for starter followed by the Lamb Tacos with mole sauce, wild Mexican sea prawns, Diver caught scallops and then char grilled flat iron steak I also would recommend the Tequila flight ( the one with the Don Julio Tequila in it ) . This restaurant is out of the ordinary and well worth the time to travel from the Fraser Valley, customer service was very nice. Will definitely be back in the near future.Special Features:
- A must try!EatLoveEatDined on 9/12/2014We were very impressed with Cuchillo. The food was outstanding and we had a great time! Will definitely come back to try the dishes we didn't have a chance to order.Special Features:
- Amazing lamb tacos!Jlo2377Dined on 9/12/2014Great little place for flavourful food and solid tequila. The flights are not a good value though as u get the smallest amount of each flavour. The food was great all around, especially the tacos and their dip trio. I found the pork shoulder very fatty but that might be normal. I'm not a big pork person. Very flavourful. Chicken tacos were good too but had much less filing compared to the lamb and BBQ pork. Definitely fit for foodies or a special occasion. Casual to dressy. The bill can get expensive as most plates are quite small. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If you like tapas, don't miss thisOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/10/2014From the sour margeritas to start and the fusion tapas dinner, I've been hooked. Been to Cuchillo's twice in the last month and was over the top impressed both times. Was advised by our waiter to try something different the 2nd time, so I did, but had to dive into the cornbread again ... awesome with the chili butter! Don't miss the Mexican sea prawns, tomato and mozarella, pulled pork tortilla, and scallops with chorizo! Muy bien! Kudos to Connor the waiter ... charming.Special Features:
- Look forward to going back!IlovegoodfoodDined on 9/9/2014Although a bit off the beaten track - the dining room has great ambience, the services staff were attentive and educated, but most of all the food was delicious! With items such as blue corn bread, grilled corn husks and flights of tequila - it's great to see restaurants offer new flavours and be creative. Our server was helpful not to guide us to order too much food and took the time to explain what we were eating and sometimes even how to eat it,which I found very helpful. Although there is only one dessert item on the menu (be decadent and order extra churros on the side...), I'm already eager to go back and order another one! Great for a girls night, a date or hosting out of town guests. I'll definietly be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Great Service.OutthereDined on 9/7/2014The food is ways excellent. This was our third time here and they did not disappoint. Some of the dishes are a bit over prices but the it is definitely worth checking out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always greatMissVVIPDined on 9/7/2014I have been to Cuchillo a number of times and happy to report that they are still keeping their high standards in service, food and drinks!Special Features:
- Excellent experienceDinnerForTwoDined on 9/3/2014Excellent food and drink, great service! Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tasty Mexican style tapasdavidVIPDined on 9/2/2014Located in Gastown, minimalist décor, excellent service. Ask for a seat in the booth at the back of the restaurant for quiet and more privacy. Flights of mescal and of tequila. The mescal was not memorable. However, the flight of tequilas Huracan Ramirez was excellent. The Clase Azul was incredible. Yuca Frita appetizer: starchy, with an excellent garlic sauce. Pork Belly Confit and Beef short rib asada: Each came in three servings. Each pork serving was a small boneless chop under a pork belly, with a sweet barbecue sauce. Each beef serving was three small riblets, over potato salad and under salsa verde. The beef was outstanding, while I think the pork could have done with a better sauce. Dulce de leche: Rich and tasty.Special Features:
- reservation issuesOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/24/2014I reserved a table for three. When we arrived (the place was not at all full), we were sent to a table for two at the very back of the restaurant. It took some negotiation to get a decent table that would sit three. I might even have understood it, if the place was fully booked that night, but it was not -- the entire time we were there.
- always a treatdionysisDined on 8/21/2014There with guests from California , everything was great. The only cloud in an expanse of blue was the absence of Crystal, server extraordinaire. Will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food. Fun atmosphere.AmateurfoodieDined on 8/14/2014We let the waiter select our menu and it was delicious. Fun flavour combinations. Fresh local ingredients. Good table service. Unfortunately no one to greet me at the front. Host was too busy socializing and missed checking in several guests.Special Features:
- Fusion Latin foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/12/2014...The best of several worlds. More substantial than tapas, but small enough to sample many plates, I recommend allowing the chef to select your lineup.Special Features:
- Knowlegable staffmynameismissDined on 8/8/2014Staff had great food recommendations and were knowledgable and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a treatReadyToOrderDined on 8/7/2014Cuchillo has a great menu, great drinks (Mexican firing squad being my favourite!) and excellent service. The pork belly is our go to entrée but we love to try everything. Save room for the dulce de leche, I dream about this dessert on a regular basis....Special Features:
- No espresso machine?NVanDanDined on 8/7/2014Very surprised this take on modern latin didn't include an espresso maker. Otherwise good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SkyeDined on 8/7/2014We had a wonderful evening; amazing service, delcious food and great ambience. One of the best meals we ever had in Vancouver!Special Features:
- hidden gemonboardDined on 7/28/2014Hidden on the east side, Cuchillo was a pleasant surprise. Not your average Mexican joint. Great food with a twist, lovely set up and attentive friendly staff. We've now found a new fav in the neighborhood!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gemeastsideatsDined on 7/27/2014Really enjoyed the food and service. Not our first time here that's why we returned. Interesting cocktail list. The pork belly - sublime.Special Features:
- Great placeEatsDined on 7/26/2014Great food and service. A nice change of pace. Interesting food well prepared and served with enthusiasm. Our server made great food and wine recommendations. Would not hesitate recommending .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food + Drinks never disappoint meOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/25/2014First time I cam here there was 4 of us and we ordered almost all the small tapas plates and the food was just amazing! No complains. Nachos were the best! I came here 2 days ago with my boyfriend and we were sitting at the corner in the booth area. Ambient was perfect and we had a tequila flight. No complains. The dessert we had was the house-made churros in some caramel dipping sauce - HEAVEN!Special Features:
- Cool vibe, interesting menuJennyVIPDined on 7/23/2014Really great spot! I took a friend there and we thoroughly enjoyed our meal and the environment. It has a cool vibe with a unique menu that makes it a great dining location. Awesome for first dates, girls nights, and something a little different.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was beyond expectations.moonmtnDined on 7/23/2014My daughter and I are still talking about how good "Cuchillo" was. The food had a reasonable kick to it, but not overwhelming. The mole lamb tacos w/popcorn as an added crunch where the best, but I would also recommend the rock fish tacos and also the scallops with the coconut creamed corn were outstanding. In fact the creamed roasted corn out shined the scallops even though the scallops were perfectly seared. The combination of coconut and roasted corn were amazing. The chayote, however, did not add anything. It was rather tasteless. We went on a Wed. night and they were very busy. The service suffered a little due to that. The restaurant is also in an area that is not the most desirable, so try to park close to the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellectluv2eatVIPDined on 7/23/2014Service at the bar was outstanding. Marg's were delicious. And food was fab!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good with one exceptionLarrykDined on 7/23/2014Really enjoyed pork bellies, presentation was awesome, had ceviche, pork bellies, dessert and fish tacos. All were great except fish tacos, dry and overcooked, but still edible. Wouldn't recommend these, otherwise standout restaurant. Reservations recommended.Special Features:
- Excellent!HungryHungryHeatherDined on 7/17/2014Cuchillo is always such a great experience. Between us we had a gluten-free vegan and a carnivore and there is never an issue with things to order on the menu with both of us having excellent choices. The food is consistently superb. The wine was a treat. Love the people and the atmosphere. I am never surprised that it is always hopping.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/16/2014A bit hard to find. There was no unit number on the door and the sign is of a giant purple skull
- luv2eatVIPDined on 7/14/2014We sat at the bar and the service was excellent. Super friendly and very knowledgable. Loved the margs and the 3 ceviches are my favorite items.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cuchillo Rocks!!dionysisDined on 7/11/2014friends have been raving about this place & now I know why. Everything from the food, the room, the service were all top-notch. The room is big & airy, & full of great energy. our server Crystal was excellent, the perfect combination of relaxed, professional service and a great enthusiasm for the food. the food!! I can highly recommend the heirloom tomato salad, the roasted poblanos make it more interesting than any caprese salad I've had...the rockfish tacos are simply the best I have ever had & I am a fish taco aficionado! the cornbread is a must...super flavourful accompanied by a yummy smokey compound butter. & the tuna! fresh raw albacore stacked atop smashed purple potato & bacon - delicious! we will be back.Special Features:
- CrystalJuicyfoodDined on 7/10/20143 friends and I had the pleasure of dining at Cuchillo last Thursday evening. We had an incredible server named Crystal. She was knowledgeable, efficient and entertaining. The food was incredible and cocktails were delicious! Would definitely go back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First timerCasualdinerDined on 7/6/2014Cuchillo is awesome. Some of the tastiest taco's i've ever had. Affordable, and excellent service. Our waiter really knew the menu, down to every single ingredient... pretty cool. I would definitely come back to try some other items on the menu. Apparently the westcoast prawns are insane (according to the waiter). Neighborhood is a bit sketchy, but the big neon skull sign out front fits right in! Well worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing dinner!vancityfoodieDined on 7/4/2014Myself, and two girlfriends had dinner this past Friday night at Cuchillo. Our waitress was so amazing! So attentive, informative about the menu items, and had great recommendations for both food and drinks. We had the Guacamole and Chips (so good!), Tuna Ceviche, Heirloom Tomato Salad, Diver Scallops, and the Pork Belly. The corn/coconut medley that comes under the diver scallops was out of this world, and the pork belly was melt in your mouth delicious. We were all in agreement that the pork belly, although very rich, was our favourite. Great wine as well, and we ended the night with some yummy cocktails!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experience!luv2eatDined on 7/3/2014It was our first time to Cuchillo and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. The food was fabulous and our servers were very professional and attentive. Will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique Spanish flavoursSoulflower728Dined on 6/30/2014This place is a hit and the server Connor is awesome. Food is delicious and unique. They should work on the presentation of the diver scallop ceviche. It's kinda small. Prices are a but pricy for tapas but worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OliverTwistDined on 6/26/2014Had a nice evening there for a friends birthday! The dishes are great for sharing, and provide lots of flavour. All in all was a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fun timeluv2eatVIPDined on 6/25/2014We sat at the bar. The service was better than 5 star. Everyone was super friendly and very knowledgeable. Best dish was the tuna ceviche.Special Features:
- A must visit.luvsouthamericanDined on 6/21/2014Had our first experience at Cuchillo and will definitely return. The food was fantastic, atmosphere was vibrant, great staff and just a super experience. A winner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't let location scare you.SuebellaDined on 6/19/2014What a gem of a place. Kind of hard to find as there is no name or street number but once you are there be prepared to be wowed. There is plenty of seating if you want to sit banquet style and be sociable, low tables and bar hight tables or sit at the bar whatever your mood. Everything we ordered was unique, nicely presented and most importantly tasted great. Prices are on the higher end and dining here is meant to be an experience, servers were great and was fantasticSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I've already been backnorawonionsDined on 6/19/2014Don't let the neighbourhood scare you. Cuchillo is a good Mexican fusion restaurant with an excellent Tequila offering and tasty food. It has a Tapas style menu and they are very accommodating. In my two visits I found nothing has been too overpowering or spicy and the cornbread is especially delicious. The pulled chicken taco was my favorite taco after trying them all. It's in between cheap and expensive but has great value. I will be back.Special Features:
- Great food spotmrn604Dined on 6/14/2014This place is beautiful. The food is incredible, tapas style with great drinks and beer and the $$ very reasonable, Absolutely worth a detour or a stop on a Gastown foodie night.Special Features: