261 Powell Street
Vancouver, BC V6A 1G3Neighborhood:
Latin AmericanPrice: CAN$30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cuchillo.ca/
- Phone: (604) 559-7585
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner daily from 5:00pm - late
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American
- Executive Chef: Stuart "The Unfrozen Caveman Chef" Irving
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Special Events: Thank you for choosing Cuchillo. Should your plans change, please let us know. We look forward to serving you. In order to facilitate our reservations, we request that you please acknowledge our 2 hour dining time for parties of two people, 2.25 period for parties of 3 to 5 people and 2.5 hours for groups of 6-8 people. If you feel that you may need more time, please indicate in the box below.
A word from Cuchillo
Where Gastown meets Railtown meets Japantown, Cuchillo serves up Modern Pan-Latin tapas with unique and classic cocktail creations in the sexiest room in town(s).Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
Cuchillo - Best Restaurants in Gastown ›
Cuchillo reviews from OpenTable diners
129 reviews since July 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (108)good for groups (83)neighborhood gem (66)hot spot (64)special occasion (28)late-night find (25)vibrant bar scene (21)romantic (21)notable wine list (7)great for lunch (3)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- A Great Find and a Must VisitOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/19/2014Being a self proclaimed food snob I am not easily impressed. This place took me by surprize and nearly blew my socks off. From the service to the extra ordinary food this is a must visit place. Do not let the term Mexican food stop you as it almost did me. I like Mexican but do not love it. Cuchillo takes mexican to a higher level than I have seen before and I spend a lot of time in Mexico. Make sure there is at least four in your party when you visit, then you will have the chance to delight in more than a couple of dishes. It is tapa style dining. The tequila selection is fantastic...some very high end stuff that is usually hard to find in CanadaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service and great food!LoveToEatVIPDined on 11/14/2014Went to Cuchillo for dinner and was amazed at how busy the place was. Being it was our first time there, we asked a lot of questions. Our server was super friendly and all the dishes we ordered were very good. If you go, make sure you save room for the ridiculously yummy dessert. Looking forward to my next visit to Cuchillo.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Blown awayButterFeverDined on 11/14/2014Everything about Cuchillo was awesome. The food and service was fantastic and the ambiance was breathtaking. The best part of the evening was that the owners were there helping serve. I asked what there inspiration was for cuisine and the owner John was happy to tell me a vibrant story. It's rare that restaurants that have owners that are positively involved in your dining experience. We were really taken away by the whole evening...TRY THE CORNBREAD!! LIFE CHANGING.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OMG ...YA GOTTA EAT HERECeresDined on 11/14/2014Cuchillo was absolutely amazing. We can't wait to go back and we are very very fortunate to be within walking distance of it. Stephanie, our waitress was fantastic, made appropriate recommendations and kept the food coming....and what food!!! Over the top tuna ceviche, scrumptious tacos and pork belly....oh my the pork belly. Some lovely crafted cocktails and a nice little wine list rounded out a great night out. Can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good NightJayDDined on 11/12/2014Our evening at Cuchillo was great ! Our server Conor is friendly and engaging . He made excellent suggestions or food and cocktails ! The drinks are great and the food is delicious ! The mexican sea prawns and the duck taco are to die for !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UniqueJokersDined on 11/10/2014I really like the grilled corn. A must try. The menu is a little limited but the fish tacos are delicious. The location is not so desirable given that it fairly dark on Powell Street in the winter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best restaurantsOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/8/2014Excellent service, staff is knowledgeable about the dishes. Fantastic food, great flavours. This is my second time at this restaurant and my experience was as great as the first timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must. Eat. Here.EatingForFourDined on 11/7/2014OMG! So good! I could eat only the corn bread & be satisfied but then would miss out on all the fabulous taqueiras! We'll be back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- current favourite dining spotluvmefooddessertsVIPDined on 11/7/2014Our second visit in 2 weeks since a friend introduced us and we're hooked. Off the main pretentious dining areas. Good service. Great sharing plates and albeit they only serve one dessert, its amazing! Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a surprise!cupcakeDined on 11/2/2014A friend recommended this restaurant with great enthusiasm! What a great find ~ the ambiance was fun, vibrant and energized on a Saturday night. We were seated at the bar since every table in the place was occupied. Fun location to people watch. Our server was friendly and very knowledgeable with the menu. The wine selection was great. The server made a few suggestions which we ordered ~ tuna sashimi, corn husk mini corn, flat iron steak and the prawns. The dishes came out every 20 minutes which we loved since we were here for the evening. Every dish had its own unique flavour ~perfect portion size ~ lovely display. Perfect restaurant for a group or couple.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WOW. AWESOME, FANTASTIC!!EmmayeeVIPDined on 10/31/2014I normally don't rate my dining experiences but I have to for Cuchillo. Had read all the great reviews and all of the positive ones are so true. Went on Halloween night and the staff were dressed up and it made the ambiance that much more fun. The waitress we had was fantastic (attentive but not too in-your face) and being first timers, we asked her to just bring food out. Her choices were excellent and everything was DELICIOUS. The boys LOVED the Tequila flights and the cocktails were amazing too. At the end of the meal, one of the owners came out and introdcued himself and he was a great guy and loved the story. LOVED it all and it was a great aphrodesiac!Special Features:
- carlamayVIPDined on 10/26/2014This is a great place for trying new things. A group of 6 is perfect - the servers are very helpful in selecting a variety of items to try - go with it! My new favorite is the pork belly - the tamarind sauce was delicious. This is my 3rd time at the restaurant and I have probably had about 80% of the menu. They had 3 new items this time and we tried them all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gold Star ExperiencejenrobDined on 10/25/2014Delicious food, perfect cocktails and absolutely impeccable service. Home run. We can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Blown AwayzakariafDined on 10/10/2014I recently went to Cuchillo after having heard from it from my gf. We were blown away by the amazing restaurant. They don't promote themeless, are not in a popular part of town and yet the place was packed (a good sign!) We simply told our waiter (who happened to be the owner) how hungry we were and he just picked our plate selection (each plate divided nicely in tapas style); truly a delicious experience. On top of all that the drinks were fantastic and the single dessert they have on the menu was to die forSpecial Features:
- Simply tasty and amazing!DOV2014Dined on 10/8/2014It was our first time to Cuchillo - 3 girls celebrating a special birthday! Our waiter, Connor was very friendly and hospitable explaining the different types of foods. We loved having an adventurous evening and having Connor bring us out some recommended Cuchillo "favourites." We enjoyed and savoured every bite, including the churros for dessert...yummy! We'll definitely be back to try other menu items.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I shall returnPanchoPRDined on 10/8/2014The food was great, but the staff was amazing. Their attention to detail and well coorditated teamwork made this experience memorable. The staff has taken the time to know every detail and ingredient of every plate. They speak with passion and pride. First timers feel free to to let your waiter choose for you, we did and it worked. The food, was a burst of flavors.Special Features:
- Amazing Food!!!foodiefaveDined on 10/5/2014Every bite was delicious! Try the pork belly if you don't mind some sweet and savoury, fatty meat!Special Features:
- Many gluten free options!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/2/2014Server was very well-informed about the menu and was able to recommend many gluten free options. Food was really good, the corn bread is amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of Vancouver's best!ThisLittlePiggyDined on 10/2/2014Service, food, decor, presentation, second to none. The servers are fun, professional and accommodating. Tapas are generous, creative and delicious. Best corn bread ever. A 10 for presentation. This Little Piggy and friends had a wonderful evening. Three had never been before and are already talking about a follow up. Make reservations as it's a busy place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great good, fantastic serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/1/2014What more can you ask for? Worth braving a neighbourhood that is not quite yet "up and coming" - Cuchillo has a great casual vibe, amazing food and service - have Conner order for you and enjoy the food adventure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/26/2014Have been to Cuchillo and loved the food, drinks, and overall vibe. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Great Food for FoodiesMariaDined on 9/25/2014Cuchillo was a fabulous place to bring your foodie friends! I celebrated birthdays for two foodie friends and we loved it. The taste is unique and vibrant and memorable. They loved the food and already will be back to bring their friends. So it was a birthday bash success! Don't forget dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/23/2014Great food and knowledge of the menu. Service was really attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fun with friendsChadwickDined on 9/22/2014Was a great time for our group. We loved the cocktails and food. No complaints.Special Features:
- Hidden gemAvery34Dined on 9/22/2014Delicious food, knowledgable staff,great cocktails ! I would highly recommend this place to everyone!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Time ExperienceLatcynVIPDined on 9/17/2014We had such a great time at Cuchillo. We will go back. The owner greeted and served our table, we told him we were new and he asked if he could picked items for us from the menu... IT WAS SPECTACULAR. The food was great the service was great. The wines by the glass.. could use a bit more variety but the cocktail list was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CuchillioazdinerVIPDined on 9/16/2014Cobre was our very favorite Vancouver restaurant and we were so disappointed that it had closed. This summer, we were thrilled to hear that its owner had opened Cuchillio. 6 of us, all huge fans of Cobre went to dine at Cuchillio. We liked it. It may not be fair to compare it to Cobre, but all of us agreed that the menu was less creative, more limited in its variety of offerings, but still good.Special Features:
- Excellent MealTheRockDined on 9/13/2014Went to Cuchillo restaurant with my wife, had the co-owners recommendations for dinner and it was fantastic. We were surprised with tuna ceviche for starter followed by the Lamb Tacos with mole sauce, wild Mexican sea prawns, Diver caught scallops and then char grilled flat iron steak I also would recommend the Tequila flight ( the one with the Don Julio Tequila in it ) . This restaurant is out of the ordinary and well worth the time to travel from the Fraser Valley, customer service was very nice. Will definitely be back in the near future.Special Features:
- A must try!EatLoveEatDined on 9/12/2014We were very impressed with Cuchillo. The food was outstanding and we had a great time! Will definitely come back to try the dishes we didn't have a chance to order.Special Features:
- Amazing lamb tacos!Jlo2377Dined on 9/12/2014Great little place for flavourful food and solid tequila. The flights are not a good value though as u get the smallest amount of each flavour. The food was great all around, especially the tacos and their dip trio. I found the pork shoulder very fatty but that might be normal. I'm not a big pork person. Very flavourful. Chicken tacos were good too but had much less filing compared to the lamb and BBQ pork. Definitely fit for foodies or a special occasion. Casual to dressy. The bill can get expensive as most plates are quite small. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If you like tapas, don't miss thisdebharDined on 9/10/2014From the sour margeritas to start and the fusion tapas dinner, I've been hooked. Been to Cuchillo's twice in the last month and was over the top impressed both times. Was advised by our waiter to try something different the 2nd time, so I did, but had to dive into the cornbread again ... awesome with the chili butter! Don't miss the Mexican sea prawns, tomato and mozarella, pulled pork tortilla, and scallops with chorizo! Muy bien! Kudos to Connor the waiter ... charming.Special Features:
- Surpassed Expectationssarla22Dined on 9/9/2014This was an absolutely fantastic dining experience. The meal itself was probably in my top 5 ever, and the service and atmosphere was great. I can't wait to go back!!Special Features:
- Look forward to going back!IlovegoodfoodDined on 9/9/2014Although a bit off the beaten track - the dining room has great ambience, the services staff were attentive and educated, but most of all the food was delicious! With items such as blue corn bread, grilled corn husks and flights of tequila - it's great to see restaurants offer new flavours and be creative. Our server was helpful not to guide us to order too much food and took the time to explain what we were eating and sometimes even how to eat it,which I found very helpful. Although there is only one dessert item on the menu (be decadent and order extra churros on the side...), I'm already eager to go back and order another one! Great for a girls night, a date or hosting out of town guests. I'll definietly be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Great Service.OutthereDined on 9/7/2014The food is ways excellent. This was our third time here and they did not disappoint. Some of the dishes are a bit over prices but the it is definitely worth checking out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always greatMissVVIPDined on 9/7/2014I have been to Cuchillo a number of times and happy to report that they are still keeping their high standards in service, food and drinks!Special Features:
- Excellent experienceDinnerForTwoDined on 9/3/2014Excellent food and drink, great service! Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tasty Mexican style tapasdavidVIPDined on 9/2/2014Located in Gastown, minimalist décor, excellent service. Ask for a seat in the booth at the back of the restaurant for quiet and more privacy. Flights of mescal and of tequila. The mescal was not memorable. However, the flight of tequilas Huracan Ramirez was excellent. The Clase Azul was incredible. Yuca Frita appetizer: starchy, with an excellent garlic sauce. Pork Belly Confit and Beef short rib asada: Each came in three servings. Each pork serving was a small boneless chop under a pork belly, with a sweet barbecue sauce. Each beef serving was three small riblets, over potato salad and under salsa verde. The beef was outstanding, while I think the pork could have done with a better sauce. Dulce de leche: Rich and tasty.Special Features:
- reservation issuesOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/24/2014I reserved a table for three. When we arrived (the place was not at all full), we were sent to a table for two at the very back of the restaurant. It took some negotiation to get a decent table that would sit three. I might even have understood it, if the place was fully booked that night, but it was not -- the entire time we were there.
- always a treatdionysisDined on 8/21/2014There with guests from California , everything was great. The only cloud in an expanse of blue was the absence of Crystal, server extraordinaire. Will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food. Fun atmosphere.AmateurfoodieDined on 8/14/2014We let the waiter select our menu and it was delicious. Fun flavour combinations. Fresh local ingredients. Good table service. Unfortunately no one to greet me at the front. Host was too busy socializing and missed checking in several guests.Special Features: