261 Powell Street
Vancouver, BC V6A 1G3Neighborhood:
Latin AmericanPrice: CAN$30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cuchillo.ca/
- Phone: 6045597585x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner daily from 5:00pm - late
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American
- Executive Chef: Stuart "The Unfrozen Caveman Chef" Irving
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Special Events: Thank you for choosing Cuchillo. Should your plans change, please let us know. We look forward to serving you. In order to facilitate our reservations, we request that you please acknowledge our 2 hour dining time for parties of two people, 2.25 period for parties of 3 to 5 people and 2.5 hours for groups of 6-8 people. If you feel that you may need more time, please indicate in the box below.
A word from Cuchillo
Where Gastown meets Railtown meets Japantown, Cuchillo serves up Modern Pan-Latin tapas with unique and classic cocktail creations in the sexiest room in town(s).Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Cuchillo - Best Restaurants in Gastown ›
Cuchillo reviews from OpenTable diners
118 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (102)good for groups (76)hot spot (61)neighborhood gem (55)special occasion (30)vibrant bar scene (22)romantic (22)late-night find (22)notable wine list (9)kid-friendly (4)great for lunch (3)great for brunch (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Blown AwayzakariafDined on 10/10/2014I recently went to Cuchillo after having heard from it from my gf. We were blown away by the amazing restaurant. They don't promote themeless, are not in a popular part of town and yet the place was packed (a good sign!) We simply told our waiter (who happened to be the owner) how hungry we were and he just picked our plate selection (each plate divided nicely in tapas style); truly a delicious experience. On top of all that the drinks were fantastic and the single dessert they have on the menu was to die forSpecial Features:
- Simply tasty and amazing!DOV2014Dined on 10/8/2014It was our first time to Cuchillo - 3 girls celebrating a special birthday! Our waiter, Connor was very friendly and hospitable explaining the different types of foods. We loved having an adventurous evening and having Connor bring us out some recommended Cuchillo "favourites." We enjoyed and savoured every bite, including the churros for dessert...yummy! We'll definitely be back to try other menu items.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I shall returnPanchoPRDined on 10/8/2014The food was great, but the staff was amazing. Their attention to detail and well coorditated teamwork made this experience memorable. The staff has taken the time to know every detail and ingredient of every plate. They speak with passion and pride. First timers feel free to to let your waiter choose for you, we did and it worked. The food, was a burst of flavors.Special Features:
- Amazing Food!!!foodiefaveDined on 10/5/2014Every bite was delicious! Try the pork belly if you don't mind some sweet and savoury, fatty meat!Special Features:
- Many gluten free options!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/2/2014Server was very well-informed about the menu and was able to recommend many gluten free options. Food was really good, the corn bread is amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of Vancouver's best!ThisLittlePiggyDined on 10/2/2014Service, food, decor, presentation, second to none. The servers are fun, professional and accommodating. Tapas are generous, creative and delicious. Best corn bread ever. A 10 for presentation. This Little Piggy and friends had a wonderful evening. Three had never been before and are already talking about a follow up. Make reservations as it's a busy place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great good, fantastic serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/1/2014What more can you ask for? Worth braving a neighbourhood that is not quite yet "up and coming" - Cuchillo has a great casual vibe, amazing food and service - have Conner order for you and enjoy the food adventure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/26/2014Have been to Cuchillo and loved the food, drinks, and overall vibe. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Great Food for FoodiesMariaDined on 9/25/2014Cuchillo was a fabulous place to bring your foodie friends! I celebrated birthdays for two foodie friends and we loved it. The taste is unique and vibrant and memorable. They loved the food and already will be back to bring their friends. So it was a birthday bash success! Don't forget dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/23/2014Great food and knowledge of the menu. Service was really attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fun with friendsChadwickDined on 9/22/2014Was a great time for our group. We loved the cocktails and food. No complaints.Special Features:
- Hidden gemAvery34Dined on 9/22/2014Delicious food, knowledgable staff,great cocktails ! I would highly recommend this place to everyone!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Time ExperienceLatcynVIPDined on 9/17/2014We had such a great time at Cuchillo. We will go back. The owner greeted and served our table, we told him we were new and he asked if he could picked items for us from the menu... IT WAS SPECTACULAR. The food was great the service was great. The wines by the glass.. could use a bit more variety but the cocktail list was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CuchillioazdinerVIPDined on 9/16/2014Cobre was our very favorite Vancouver restaurant and we were so disappointed that it had closed. This summer, we were thrilled to hear that its owner had opened Cuchillio. 6 of us, all huge fans of Cobre went to dine at Cuchillio. We liked it. It may not be fair to compare it to Cobre, but all of us agreed that the menu was less creative, more limited in its variety of offerings, but still good.Special Features:
- Excellent MealTheRockDined on 9/13/2014Went to Cuchillo restaurant with my wife, had the co-owners recommendations for dinner and it was fantastic. We were surprised with tuna ceviche for starter followed by the Lamb Tacos with mole sauce, wild Mexican sea prawns, Diver caught scallops and then char grilled flat iron steak I also would recommend the Tequila flight ( the one with the Don Julio Tequila in it ) . This restaurant is out of the ordinary and well worth the time to travel from the Fraser Valley, customer service was very nice. Will definitely be back in the near future.Special Features:
- A must try!EatLoveEatDined on 9/12/2014We were very impressed with Cuchillo. The food was outstanding and we had a great time! Will definitely come back to try the dishes we didn't have a chance to order.Special Features:
- Amazing lamb tacos!Jlo2377Dined on 9/12/2014Great little place for flavourful food and solid tequila. The flights are not a good value though as u get the smallest amount of each flavour. The food was great all around, especially the tacos and their dip trio. I found the pork shoulder very fatty but that might be normal. I'm not a big pork person. Very flavourful. Chicken tacos were good too but had much less filing compared to the lamb and BBQ pork. Definitely fit for foodies or a special occasion. Casual to dressy. The bill can get expensive as most plates are quite small. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If you like tapas, don't miss thisdebharDined on 9/10/2014From the sour margeritas to start and the fusion tapas dinner, I've been hooked. Been to Cuchillo's twice in the last month and was over the top impressed both times. Was advised by our waiter to try something different the 2nd time, so I did, but had to dive into the cornbread again ... awesome with the chili butter! Don't miss the Mexican sea prawns, tomato and mozarella, pulled pork tortilla, and scallops with chorizo! Muy bien! Kudos to Connor the waiter ... charming.Special Features:
- Surpassed Expectationssarla22Dined on 9/9/2014This was an absolutely fantastic dining experience. The meal itself was probably in my top 5 ever, and the service and atmosphere was great. I can't wait to go back!!Special Features:
- Look forward to going back!IlovegoodfoodDined on 9/9/2014Although a bit off the beaten track - the dining room has great ambience, the services staff were attentive and educated, but most of all the food was delicious! With items such as blue corn bread, grilled corn husks and flights of tequila - it's great to see restaurants offer new flavours and be creative. Our server was helpful not to guide us to order too much food and took the time to explain what we were eating and sometimes even how to eat it,which I found very helpful. Although there is only one dessert item on the menu (be decadent and order extra churros on the side...), I'm already eager to go back and order another one! Great for a girls night, a date or hosting out of town guests. I'll definietly be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Great Service.OutthereDined on 9/7/2014The food is ways excellent. This was our third time here and they did not disappoint. Some of the dishes are a bit over prices but the it is definitely worth checking out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always greatMissVVIPDined on 9/7/2014I have been to Cuchillo a number of times and happy to report that they are still keeping their high standards in service, food and drinks!Special Features:
- Excellent experienceDinnerForTwoDined on 9/3/2014Excellent food and drink, great service! Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tasty Mexican style tapasdavidVIPDined on 9/2/2014Located in Gastown, minimalist décor, excellent service. Ask for a seat in the booth at the back of the restaurant for quiet and more privacy. Flights of mescal and of tequila. The mescal was not memorable. However, the flight of tequilas Huracan Ramirez was excellent. The Clase Azul was incredible. Yuca Frita appetizer: starchy, with an excellent garlic sauce. Pork Belly Confit and Beef short rib asada: Each came in three servings. Each pork serving was a small boneless chop under a pork belly, with a sweet barbecue sauce. Each beef serving was three small riblets, over potato salad and under salsa verde. The beef was outstanding, while I think the pork could have done with a better sauce. Dulce de leche: Rich and tasty.Special Features:
- reservation issuesOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/24/2014I reserved a table for three. When we arrived (the place was not at all full), we were sent to a table for two at the very back of the restaurant. It took some negotiation to get a decent table that would sit three. I might even have understood it, if the place was fully booked that night, but it was not -- the entire time we were there.
- always a treatdionysisDined on 8/21/2014There with guests from California , everything was great. The only cloud in an expanse of blue was the absence of Crystal, server extraordinaire. Will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food. Fun atmosphere.AmateurfoodieDined on 8/14/2014We let the waiter select our menu and it was delicious. Fun flavour combinations. Fresh local ingredients. Good table service. Unfortunately no one to greet me at the front. Host was too busy socializing and missed checking in several guests.Special Features:
- Fusion Latin foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/12/2014...The best of several worlds. More substantial than tapas, but small enough to sample many plates, I recommend allowing the chef to select your lineup.Special Features:
- Knowlegable staffmynameismissDined on 8/8/2014Staff had great food recommendations and were knowledgable and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a treatReadyToOrderDined on 8/7/2014Cuchillo has a great menu, great drinks (Mexican firing squad being my favourite!) and excellent service. The pork belly is our go to entrée but we love to try everything. Save room for the dulce de leche, I dream about this dessert on a regular basis....Special Features:
- No espresso machine?NVanDanDined on 8/7/2014Very surprised this take on modern latin didn't include an espresso maker. Otherwise good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SkyeDined on 8/7/2014We had a wonderful evening; amazing service, delcious food and great ambience. One of the best meals we ever had in Vancouver!Special Features:
- hidden gemonboardDined on 7/28/2014Hidden on the east side, Cuchillo was a pleasant surprise. Not your average Mexican joint. Great food with a twist, lovely set up and attentive friendly staff. We've now found a new fav in the neighborhood!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gemeastsideatsDined on 7/27/2014Really enjoyed the food and service. Not our first time here that's why we returned. Interesting cocktail list. The pork belly - sublime.Special Features:
- Great placeEatsDined on 7/26/2014Great food and service. A nice change of pace. Interesting food well prepared and served with enthusiasm. Our server made great food and wine recommendations. Would not hesitate recommending .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food + Drinks never disappoint meOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/25/2014First time I cam here there was 4 of us and we ordered almost all the small tapas plates and the food was just amazing! No complains. Nachos were the best! I came here 2 days ago with my boyfriend and we were sitting at the corner in the booth area. Ambient was perfect and we had a tequila flight. No complains. The dessert we had was the house-made churros in some caramel dipping sauce - HEAVEN!Special Features:
- Cool vibe, interesting menuJennyVIPDined on 7/23/2014Really great spot! I took a friend there and we thoroughly enjoyed our meal and the environment. It has a cool vibe with a unique menu that makes it a great dining location. Awesome for first dates, girls nights, and something a little different.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was beyond expectations.moonmtnDined on 7/23/2014My daughter and I are still talking about how good "Cuchillo" was. The food had a reasonable kick to it, but not overwhelming. The mole lamb tacos w/popcorn as an added crunch where the best, but I would also recommend the rock fish tacos and also the scallops with the coconut creamed corn were outstanding. In fact the creamed roasted corn out shined the scallops even though the scallops were perfectly seared. The combination of coconut and roasted corn were amazing. The chayote, however, did not add anything. It was rather tasteless. We went on a Wed. night and they were very busy. The service suffered a little due to that. The restaurant is also in an area that is not the most desirable, so try to park close to the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellectluv2eatVIPDined on 7/23/2014Service at the bar was outstanding. Marg's were delicious. And food was fab!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good with one exceptionLarrykDined on 7/23/2014Really enjoyed pork bellies, presentation was awesome, had ceviche, pork bellies, dessert and fish tacos. All were great except fish tacos, dry and overcooked, but still edible. Wouldn't recommend these, otherwise standout restaurant. Reservations recommended.Special Features: