Cube Cafe and Marketplace
615 N La Brea Ave
Los Angeles, CA 90036Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
Cube Cafe and Marketplace
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cubemarketplace.com/
- Phone: 3239391148x
- Hours of Operation:
Open Daily: 5:00pm - 11:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Jun Tan
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Our private dining room holds a minimum of 12 people and a maximum of 18. We exclusively offer a chef's tasting menu when booking the room. The menu consists of 6 courses for $60 or 8 courses offered at $75 per person. We also offer wine pairings upon request.
- Private Party Contact: David King 3239391148x
A word from Cube Cafe and Marketplace
Located on La Brea Avenue in the heart of Los Angeles, Cube Cafe and Marketplace offers seasonally-driven regional Italian cuisine in a sleek, neighborhood casual atmosphere. Our cheese bar serves up to 85 different artisan-crafted cheeses as well as a diverse array of charcuterie, and our gourmet market carries over 1,000 rare and exclusive small-batch shelf products and refrigerated items from around the world. We judiciously shop local farmer's markets to bring our customers the best produce available, and we choose organic whenever possible. We accept reservations for parties of 7 and less in our main dining room. Please call the restaurant for reservations between 6:30pm and 9:00pm and for parties over 4.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cube Cafe and Marketplace reviews from OpenTable diners
10 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (8)neighborhood gem (8)notable wine list (4)romantic (3)special occasion (3)great for brunch (2)good for groups (2)hot spot (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Cube on a Tuesday nightLizzieTDined on 7/8/2014We got there at 7:30 and it was empty. Atmosphere was pleasant and service was great. Our server was attentive and informed. We had the braised bacon pizza with fresh peaches and it was delicious. Summer salad with green beans and hazelnuts was crunchy and refreshing. The tab was expensive for what we ate, but the evening was thoroughly enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go-to recommendationnotafoodieDined on 6/21/2014Any time anyone asks us where to go on the west side, we recommend Cube. Always amazing food including cheese & salumi plates and deserts, always excellent service, and always perfect atmosphere.Special Features:
- Did you say cheese?WendywoooDined on 6/21/2014What a lovely way to start the evening - with complimentary small tastes from the chef served on black slate. Shareable plates and entrees, good wine list and fresh market ingredient made for a great dinner.Special Features:
- Excellent as usualmstrimsDined on 6/4/2014After over a dozen visits to Cube, I am happy to report that I have never been disappointed. The fare is creative comfort food that uses freshest in season ingredients. The imported mozzarella, heirloom tomato, peach salad cannot be beat (in season only). The spicy fried chicken is out of this world. This last time my friend and I had a sausage, sweet onion pizza that we simply could not stop eating. The kitchen was a little slow on this outing, but the service as usual was friendly and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Pretentious, Subtley RefinedratingDined on 6/3/2014This place has been on my radar for awhile and I avoided it because I didn't want to seem square. However, I was delighted when I finally came. The hose was pleasant. They didn't have typical drinks, avoiding name brands sodas. They gave a cheese taste test, which surprisingly created a burst of flavor making you want more. the pea soup was fresh tasting. the house salad was fresh as well. the vegetable stuffed pasta was slightly undercooked. the grilled chicken was moist and crispy skin should make your mouth water . The indoor seating area seamed very limited. The wine choice was a plus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 370 reviews are from the Cube Cafe and Marketplace reviews archive.
- Not as Good as it Once Was :(AdventuresinDiningVIPDined on 5/17/2014I used to LOVE Cube. I have been going there for years - before they had a liquor license, so at least 4 years maybe 5. But the menu has not been updated as it should have been. The ravioli that used to be great 3 years ago - the browned butter and sage - is tired now. Also way too much butter guys. But this dish should have been sidelined a while ago. I had an artichoke that was soggy - how they did that I don't know - overcooked - it also seemed to be swimming in oil. I think they really need to look at who is running the kitchen and do a major revamp. Sorry guys I love you but the kitchen isn't cutting it any more.
- Very Consistent FoodsdipoVIPDined on 5/16/2014A great neighborhood place. The food is consistent, and a nice cheese selection.
- Overly pretentious pricing!!LlllVIPDined on 5/16/2014Nice little restaurant will well prepared food but priced with restaurants that have fabulous food. Dinner was $75 per person with wine and this is just a neighborhood casual restaurant. Overly pretentious pricing. Will not go back unless they adjust their food prices.Special Features:
- Spontaneous HomerunWB76Dined on 5/9/2014Cheese, cheese, cheese and the smiles all happen. Dishes, garnishes and accoutrements are all thoughts out well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticRandysanimationDined on 5/4/2014My wife and I went for her birthday based on recommendation from the Chef's Feed App. Too many cheese plate options to choose from, they all sounded delicious, but our waiter gave us recommendations and it was amazing. For dinner, we tried the roasted and fried chicken, both were moist and fantastic. Best fried chicken I've ever tasted.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a good findHRHRDined on 4/26/2014A great find for pre-theater dinner. Surprisingly excellent food and service.Special Features:
- Perfect Date Night SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/5/2014My husband and I love Cube, so when we were thinking of where to go for our one year anniversary dinner it was one of the first places that came to mind. It did not disappoint! The meal was wonderful from start to finish. From a delicious spring salad starter to the most amazing cookie butter ice cream for dessert, there was not a single misstep. The wine was great as well. We sat in the back room, which I didn't even know they had. It was great because it was a lot quieter than the main dining area. The service was wonderful. I really don't have anything but positives to say about this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wannabe restaurantLlllVIPDined on 3/29/2014The food is good. The ambiance is weak. The waitstaff is unknowledgeable. They refused to let us taste the wine before ordering a glass. (Which was absurd because if we didn't like the wine they would have to take back the entire glass) Prices are waaay too high for the quality of restaurant experience. Their attitude is that they are more than a small restaurant with good food. Their prices match casual restaurants with top notch chefs, lovelier decor, experienced waitstaff. It is absurd their entrees are $25-$30. They don't deliver for the price.
- A great new findgchardDined on 3/15/2014Read a review and took a chance on this place and I was won over almost immediately. The food is eclectic and done expertly, even their water is great. It is a small place and the owner goes to each table and makes sure everything is okay. Make a reservation because like I said there are only a few tables,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love this place!TulipDined on 3/1/2014Cube never disappoints. The food, mostly Italian inspired, emphasizes California/local products. Who knew there were California's making great salumes? The pastas are always good, the seasonal summer salads delicious and a feast for the eye. I have taken a number of people here and everyone has loved it without exception.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cube is a real find!EastSideFoodieDined on 3/1/2014They have a great wine room that is available for private parties up to 18 people. And, my kids love the mac and cheese and the pizza there! If my husband and I go there without the kids they always ask us to bring them food home for a second dinner! They have the front restaurant and the small back room, I prefer a booth in the front to the back room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the cube is everythingnightout1934VIPDined on 2/22/2014favorite neighborhood restaurant..the setting in the red cube is inviting, and have never been disappointed in the food.we return again and againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always solid!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 2/21/2014We are never disappointed with Cube as our choice -- it's fun to pick our own selection of cheeses and salumi (and the wonderful burrata plate!) plus glasses of Italian wines...then on to small plates (like tonight's spicy fried oysters and braised rabbit and polenta) and perhaps even an entree (though we begged off this time) to share! I continue to really like this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love Cube!TeacupDined on 2/20/2014Its always a pleasure to dine at Cube. The food is well prepared and delicious, the cheese selection is varied and they have a fabulous fairly priced wine list. Its often hard to find a non-California focused list with decent choices but I know that I can always find a good bottle or wine by the glass to enjoy. The restaurant has a casual, comfortable vibe that makes it a favorite choice of mine.Special Features:
- Great spot for food but theOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/14/2014Great spot for food but the layout is not for me. Too small and the back room really small. If you like that kind of thin it's perfect but the food is outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing and rude servicdeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/31/2014We went to this restaurant to try something new for Dine LA week. We were very disappointed. The entrees were not great, although the flourless chocolate cake for dessert quite good. The lousy salad was a very poor start. But it was the rude service that really soured us. The hostess was rude with no smile although we were friendly, and sat us at an odd table away from everyone else when the place was half empty. I had to flag the waiter down to request bread which he never brought me. A busboy finally brought us some warmed pita, which we were charged for although at $35 per person I think they could have given us bread. The only saving grace was a very nice server named Abbie, who became attentive after our waiter completely ignored us.Special Features:
- dine la thumbs down4fisheater7Dined on 1/24/2014we chose the dine la menu. a big disappointment--not nearly as good as the several meals we'd had previously at Cube. The wine list is heavily tilted toward high-priced bottles, out of sync with the menu. That said, the waiter was genuinely well informed about the list. were this my first visit to Cube, I would not have returnedSpecial Features:
- terrific pasta6LassiesVIPDined on 1/18/2014love this place, buzzing on a Saturday nite. tasty pasta, fabulous wine, the fried chicken was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- what's happened to CubeOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/17/2014Cube has been a favourite restaurant for last 3 years, but something has changed in the kitchen ordered roast chicken, dry, dull and unappetising. The Carbonara was loaded with salt, sent it back and still to salty Tagliatelle Ragu sauce was bland and not reduced down, pasta was overcooked and not a patch on Angelini Osteria. Cheese is excellent as ever but the portions are a joke, what you would expect from a sample in the famers market really disappointing...
- Rather Disappointing and Just So-SoPurrfectPawsVIPDined on 1/5/2014This was our first visit to Cube. The server, a young woman, was efficient, but not gracious. When asked about a certain dish on the menu, she responded, "What do you want to know about it?" instead of just describing how it's prepared. And everyone kept trying to clear our plates and wine glasses, even when there was food and wine in them! I started to feel protective of my space when anyone approached! We each had a pasta dish that was fine if not remarkable. An appetizer of buffalo mozz and arugula was tasty, and the pecan tart for dessert was good but too small to share. Cube wasn't bad, but with so many restaurants vying for customers in LA it's hard to justify going back and feeling slightly on the defensive.
- Great ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/14/2013There is nothing I love more than a dinner that consists solely of a great cheese platter and a fabulous wine. (As unhealthy as that may be) The cheesemonger and sommelier were both so helpful in selecting a great assortment of cheeses and cured meats and they picked a wine that fit mine and my boyfriend's taste perfectly. It was nearly empty b/w 5pm & 6pm when we first arrived but was packed in the hour following. Definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YUM is the best word to describe itJay12345Dined on 12/7/2013Everything on the menu is divine. The burrata is insanely delicious. From the upside pear pie dessert to the braised beef raviolini and truffled mac & cheese, the menu is surprising with its unique take on modern Italian cuisine. The service, wine list, cheeses, and meats are all exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cube never disappoints...RachelfaithDined on 12/7/2013I've been to Cube quite a bit, but this is the first review. I love it, it's my favorite. The vibe is homey and low-key, it never gets above a low hum of conversation. I love Italian food and we have no shortage of good Italian in LA. But this one is special because it's simple, straight to the point, always on point, and delicious. One always should get cheese &/or charcuterie plate. They find stuff you never knew existed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic for Cheese Enthusiasts!yumyumdinerDined on 12/5/2013My husband, mother-in-law and I stopped in for a quick dinner before seeing the Lion King in LA this week. The service was exceptional, with our sever building a custom cheese plate based on our tastes and preferences. We opted to order and share several antipasti dishes rather than stick to our own mains - also a fantastic choice. We brought our own bottle of wine and did have to pay the $15 corkage fee - the only downside in my opinion, but I understand why this is a service fee. I also purchased three ounces of my favorite cheese from the night at market price to take home and enjoy later - convenient! The combination of wine, bread, cheese, nuts, fruit, apps, and ambiance was award winning - we'll definitely be back soon!Special Features:
- It's my fifth time going there,DoritVIPDined on 11/9/2013It's my fifth time going there, I never touch fried chicken in my life . At Cube the fried chicken is delicious ! Every time I go there the keep the same level of good foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and wineAlexDined on 11/1/2013Really great wine selection and fantastic cheeses. Love Cube!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- date nightpasta2pastaDined on 10/25/2013we always have a nice night here, romance is in the air!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice surpriseAnonVIPDined on 10/25/2013Happy to have discovered this neighborhood gem in the middle of La Brea's current chaos. Put a pin in my search for great fried chicken. Good food all around; friendly, helpful service, caring staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not perfect.FateoptionalDined on 10/23/2013Second time eating here was just a little less brilliant than the first... It was an early reservation so perhaps the staff was rusty but two of the main dishes (pappardelle with mushrooms and scallops with asparagus were so over-buttered that the taste if the ingredients were lost. Black truffle pizza was good as always. I'll go back, but it felt like a chef in training made my meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The service staff were appropriatelDanHVIPDined on 10/17/2013The service staff were appropriately attentive. The house pastas were delicious. We started with the house sampler cheese and salumi plate...great variety of cheeses and meats. The fried chicken was terrific. There's quite a lively bar scene as well. We'll definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Okay, but loudJessicaVIPDined on 10/5/2013The food was high quality, i.e. free range chicken, some organic vegetables, fresh fish etc. The cooking was moderately creative, not terribly pricey, but not a bargain. The cheese was exceptional! Doubt we'll return, but if we do, I'd order salad and cheese, maybe pizza, rather than entrees. The noise level made it hard to have a conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Vibe, Good FoodDJK1VIPDined on 10/4/2013The concept and the food work well. Scallops were ok; gnocchi was good; chicken was good; black truffle pizza was great. Service was very attentive, but not overbearing. We were traveling through LA county and were looking for something different and this fit the bill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cube is always a treatOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/28/2013My husband and I have been to Cube several times now and it never disappoints. The peach-tomato Caprese salad they previously had on the menu is one of our favorites to mimic at home. During our most recent visit, we had a delicious cheese plate (a must if you're eating there), braised bacon and cippolini onion with creamy polenta, a kale salad, and one of the most delicious pork tenderloins I've ever eaten. If you want an innovative menu with delicious food, give Cube a try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service and foodCharlieDined on 9/24/2013First the food always seems to impress me and my guests. Service, I have yet to find better in the city! Cube begs to become your "CHEERS" as the staff are not just attentive But increasingly concerned and friendly with each visit. It's a nice find in a city where you may at times feel a bit forgotten.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Flavorful soupsannwVIPDined on 9/20/2013The soups - chilled beet, tomato basil - we really memorable and flavorful! Didn't do a full meal this time, but will be back.Special Features: