Cuba Libre Restaurant & Rum Bar
10 South 2nd Street
Philadelphia, PA 19106Neighborhood:
CubanPrice: $30 and under
Cuba Libre Restaurant & Rum Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cubalibrerestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2156270666
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday 11:30am - 3:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Wednesday 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Thursday 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sat -Sun 3:00pm - 11:00pm
Late Dining: Friday & Saturday until 11:30pm
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday 10:30am - 1:30pm (all-you-can-eat available for $26). 1:30-2:30 à la carte only.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, Caribbean, Cuban
- Executive Chef: Guillermo Pernot
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: After dinner hours, on Fridays, Saturdays and for special events, Cuba Libre clears the tables and turns up the Latin rhythm as professional salsa dancers perform choreographed floor shows in the dining room. Between shows guests dance to a DJ spinning tropical dance, salsa, merengue, bachata & Latin house.
- Special Events: Consider Cuba Libre Restaurant & Rum the destination for your next social or corporate event.Whether it’s an intimate party of 15, a grand event for 400, a themed cocktail party or an elegantdinner, Cuba Libre is the ideal setting for an unforgettable private party or special event.
- Cross Street: Between Market & Chestnut Streets
- Public Transit: Phlash, Septa Market-Frankford Line (2nd & Market)
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Cuba Libre is located on Second Street at Market Street in the Old City section of Philadelphia. Street parking / meter parking may be available in the neighborhood. Several paid lots are close by, and valet parking is offered by a private company Wednesday through Saturday.
A word from Cuba Libre Restaurant & Rum Bar
Cuba Libre features a contemporary interpretation of traditional Cuban cuisine and a broad base of authentic Cuban cocktails, including the largest selection of rum in Philadelphia. The restaurant’s interior has a beautifully weathered historical feel. The materials combine warm mahogany and oak, cracked tile, painted plaster, exposed concrete and brick, and iron railings. With iron balconies overlooking a courtyard, a dramatic 30-foot ceiling, and paddle fans turning lazily, the space looks and feels like a street in Old Havana in the mid 1950s.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Cuba Libre Restaurant & Rum Bar - Best Restaurants in Old City ›
Cuba Libre Restaurant & Rum Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
199 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (91)special occasion (84)good for groups (79)hot spot (75)neighborhood gem (73)vibrant bar scene (65)romantic (55)late-night find (51)great for outdoor dining (48)great for brunch (41)great for lunch (34)scenic view (19)kid-friendly (15)notable wine list (4)Show More
- Transported to CubaTomEBoyDined on 9/15/2014The ambiance was as if you are sitting in a Havana restaurant. The food was spectacular. Service outstanding.
- I usually love it moreOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/14/2014Let me just say I have been here several times. I did restaurant week here last year and again tonight. They have the best restaurant week menu because they always have the best options, variety and food. The reason I'm not as happy as usual was service, we went late we had a 9:30 PM reservation. The staff seemed over it and ready to go and the service told you that. It was like reject service because we were there for a late dinner. It made the night less fun, when your spending your money you want good treatment. How they feel should not show. Normally I get good service here, but tonight was bad. It put a damper on the night, they just seemed so over it. I was shocked, I have never gotten such horrible service here. Disappointed-Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant weekOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014The menu was familiar but unique with ingredients and presentation. We loved both the amount and quality of the food and mojitosSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, Great AtmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014My boyfriend and I came here for restaurant week, so I can only speak to that menu, but everything was amazing! I am a vegetarian, and my boyfriend is a meat lover with dairy allergies. We were both able to find things that we liked. The first few things they brought to the table, we commented to each other how delicious it was, then after a while it just be came a given that anything that touched the table would be delicious. Even simple easy to make foods like the tostones were cooked especially well. We were blown away by the mango butter served with the free bread. They also even brought him out a special fruit plate since all of the dessert options had dairy in them. Our server was great and it was overall a really nice dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!LovefoodDined on 9/12/2014Me and my boyfriend went for restaurant week because we both have not been to the restaurant before. The food was incredible and our waiter was very helpful and friendly. I recommended to my dentist the next day that he should definitely try this place out it is awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gem in the cityOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/12/2014Nice restaurant in the heart of Philly. Great food and service. Whether you want tapas, full dinner or just drinks, it is the place to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food and FunFoodieAtHeartDined on 9/11/2014Went here for restaurant week and the food was delicious. They give you so much that I could barely finish everything. We ordered their white sangria and that was also very good. The waitress let us know that they host salsa dancing twice a week after 11:30, which I thought would be a lot of fun to do.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So disappointed...LuvgoodfoodDined on 9/11/2014My husband and I, both very familiar with Cuban food given our families, were so disappointed. Thank goodness we had the restaurant week menu because the food was no deserving of full price at all. We had the lechon asado and ropa vieja - two of THE most traditional dishes and they were bland, boring, seriously lacking flavor. Somebody's grandmother is rolling over in their grave because these were so bad. Appetizers are not even worth mentioning as chips and salsa at home would have been more inviting. Our server was overbearing. She checked on us every 5 mins and it got annoying as she kept interrupting our conversation. Only thing that was good was my mango mojito. Hubby had the sangria & it was boring. Sadly, we will never be back.
- FantasticEpicurianDinerDined on 9/10/2014I'm so glad we went to Cuba Libre. We were looking for a place that's fun, has great food, and is open late. The service was amazing. Ryan, our waiter, was a perfect mix of friendly, professional, highly knowledgeable about the menu, and funny, and helped us make the perfect choices. Ambiance, decor, and music is very upbeat, and fitting with the a "nuevo cubano" latin cuisine. I must say that the "Levanta Muerto" (raise the dead) seafood soup was "increible". ...delectable flavor that defies description.. manchego bunuelos, awesome. Brick chicken over kale and carmelized shallots and suntanned salmon over couscous.. amazing. Spiced rum with cafe cubano chaser, perfect finish. Compliments to Chef Guillermo Pernot, and thanks Ryan/Special Features:
- Good 2 GoOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/10/2014The bread and mango butter starts the evening off nice. The paella reminds me of Spain.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodloverDined on 9/10/2014I really enjoyed the selection and the amount of food for restaurant week. this has always been one of my favorite restaurants.Special Features:
- Good food with great atmospheredining1Dined on 9/9/2014I took my son and his girlfriend here a few nights ago. The service was great, the atmosphere and visuals are a treat. I felt like I was in Miami again. The food was very good for the most part, though some dishes were certainly better than others. Meat and (some) seafood dishes stick out. But drinks were watered down and somewhat tasteless. As for me (the vegetarian), I found my food really bland and boring for the most part. Even after requesting something to spice it up, all they could come up with was sriracha sauce. An Asian condiment, hardly Cuban? Hmmm.. In any case it was an enjoyable night. But I think I'll search out another place to explore Cuban food. At least, vegetarian style. If you eat "anything" you might enjoy this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great tastes and abundant tooJAF62Dined on 9/8/2014We had friends from out of town (San Fran) who were duly impressed. Restaurant week gave us a tasting menu for reasonable price ($35 each) so we tasted almost everything on the manu (and took home much of it). Service was impecaable and drinks were interesting and tasty - not too much alcohol. The octopus was a bit overcooked but everything else was pretty much as you would want it. If you don't like fried stuff you can still find enough on the menu but it may be a bit more difficult.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice staff and atmosphere.luv2trynewDined on 9/8/2014Food was good but not great and was rather cold in the place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectTetaDined on 9/7/2014My first experience with Cuba Libre was during restaurant week. It was the perfect pick. Although the menu during restaurant week is typically scaled down, they still had so much to choose from and you got a lot more for your money compared to some other restaurant week menus. The food was delicious, I will absolutely be back again! I loved the decor and ambiance especially, it actually made you feel as though you were away in Cuba on a beautiful retreat. I would reccomend to anyone and look forward to trying Cuba Libre again, possibly at one of their other locations. Orlando here I come!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch was ok but the service lacksBruncheesDined on 9/7/2014We had brunch here. The food was worth one visit but the service definitely lacked. The server never checked on us and I actually had to get up and deliver the check so we could leave on time for our show.Special Features:
- BirthdayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014I brought my friend here for her birthday, and we all had a great time. The restaurant is decorated floor to ceiling, and the entire experience felt very authentic. Our server was helpful and friendly. The food was great. We sat upstairs, where it was much quieter.Special Features:
- BirthdayRob1Dined on 9/4/20145 of us came to celebrate my father's 83rd birthday. The service and food were tip top and made for a memorable occasion. We'll be back! Chau is one of the best waitresses I have ever have.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodLove2eatDined on 9/1/2014Food was excellent, definently going back. The main entre was a little expensive but it's worth the moneySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/1/2014The food was excellent, as always. It was a little too noisy to have a conversation. Our waitress was good, but after we had ordered, we overheard the waiter from the table next to us describe the specials and the taster option (smaller portions of a variety of foods) which we would have ordered, had our waitress informed us of this.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't wait to go back!diningdivaDined on 8/30/2014Everything was excellent. The ambiance was authentic and tropical. The food was mouthwatering and savory and the service was on pointSpecial Features:
- Delicious Cuban Food in PhillydaniroseDined on 8/30/2014A friend suggested we go here and I am very glad we did. The food was absolutely incredible. I enjoyed everything we ate, from the ceviche tapas to the chicharron, to the skirt steak.Special Features:
- Excellent foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/27/2014The food was amazing! And the drinks were delicious.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love their soup!NewZagats2VIPDined on 8/26/2014We go there before the movies, mostly for the Levante Muerto soup! Cheese empenadas are good! … and I tried the ceviche in a coconut shell, but they took too long and we had to wrap some things… and I was soo sad, because I was so excited about spooning out the coconut, since there was almost nothing inside and they THREW OUT MY COCONUT!! It was a bummer! I had like 4 tiny pieces of squid in a box, and we paid 95 $ for dinner! Note to self, don't do that again ;-( The soups were great and the main server is always good to us…Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/24/2014With unlimited brunch tapas dishes, and some of the best ceviche I've ever had, I can safely highly recommend this restaurant. The atmosphere is really fun as well. Enjoyable all the way around.Special Features:
- FrolichhausDined on 8/23/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our family dinner. The food was unique and excellent. Drinks were also excellent. Service was attentive. We would have preferred to sit upstairs but that was full for the night. Although there is a parking lot across the street, we parked closer to a prior activity and used Uber to take us right to the door. Cuba Libre is definitely worth a second, third and more visits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingLouciferDined on 8/23/2014Me and my wife love Cuban food, so when we heard about this place we had to try it. So glad we did, the mojitos, empanadas, and main courses were outstanding, but the bread comes with a mango butter it was soooo good. Highly recommend this place I know I will be back many times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch tapas are awesome!CYP27VIPDined on 8/23/2014I highly recommend coming here for the Brunch All-You-Can-Eat Tapas. For $26 per person (all at the table must participate), you can order and order and order and... you get the picture. Be sure to get the bread basket: two different types of muffins, banana bread, a churro, and a filled croissant-like pastry served with a trio of spreads. The cornmeal panqueques (pancakes) are a nice change from your typical pancake and come with mango butter and bacon. Almost every dish came out appropriately hot (or cold) and was delicious! Even if you're not hungry enough for AYCE, the tapas portions are not so small (or overpriced) that you wouldn't be happy to just order a couple for yourself and leave completely satisfied.Special Features:
- Delicious tapas in a fun settingMomofsamiamDined on 8/20/2014We had an amazing dinner with a foodie friend from out of town. We ordered tons of tapas dishes - we especially liked the octopus, the pork belly, the 2 ceviches , and the empanadas. Service was great, friendly and non intrusive . The noise level on the main floor is a bit overwhelming when the restaurant is fullSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner and dancing ambienceNYfoodieDined on 8/16/2014My husband and I enjoyed a late, dinner at Cuba Libre, but we were not impressed with the food. The ropa vieja, which is a Cuban dish, was not authentic nor did they serve Cuban bread. But, the mojitos were delicious. We stayed after dinner, to enjoy cocktails until the "club" opened. Great music and scene, but by midnight felt very crowded.Special Features:
- Excellent food and Mojito's!trjarDined on 8/16/2014We love going to Cuba Libre every chance we get! I have food allergies so I know exactly what I can choose on the menu and not have issues! The marinated skirt steak is to die for and the classic mojito tops it off! Will always be one of our Philly favs!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Late Night Find!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014Person 1: My Arroz con Pollo was as authentic as I've ever had it at a restaurant. Person 2: We were walking by and found it..turned into a Hispanic club scene during late night. While waiting for our food, we enjoyed the bread and Mango butter. It tasted AMAZING! Ingredients include whipped butter, cinnamon, mango purée, and pepper and it was smooth and delicious with the bread. For my entree, I enjoyed the Suntanned Salmon! I don't like yuca products, so I skipped the yuca couscous. Our waitress allowed us to swap yuca for a side of plantain (which were also very good) with no issues. Sangria was also very good. Would definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Near Penns LandingNuevoFoodieDined on 8/15/2014My family went to Penn's Landing for a concert and were looking for a restaurant in walking distance. Perfect location and the food and service was great. The shrimp ceviche is to die for. I also ordered a vegetarian dish that had chorizo in it, when I told the server she apologized and comp'ed my meal which was appreciated. I would definitely go back!Special Features:
- Favorite Restaurant in PhiladelphiajanicegodfreyDined on 8/15/2014Cuba Libre is by far my favorite restaurant in Philadelphia. The food and service is amazing. The 15 Tastes of Cuba was incredible. This restaurant is the best for special occasions. This past visit was for my birthday. It was also the restaurant we went to the night we were engaged to be married (pre-proposal dinner). Needless to say, I would recommend Cuba Libre to anyone who visits Philadelphia!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatCubabrunchfan24Dined on 8/10/2014The service and food were wonderful! Too many great things to nameSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with friendsAlgoDined on 8/9/2014All of our meals and apps were excellent. I can't remember all the names of the dishes but the seafood soup, vecca frita(flank steak) ropa veijas(beef brisket). Our friends had also enjoyed their dishes and apps.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Was okayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014I loved the atmosphere and ambiance. Was not impressed with the mixed drinks or the locations of the bathroom. First floor bathroom opened up to the dining room. I felt embarrassed coming out of bathroom in full view of others. I was thankful I was not on first floor and request other seating next time I come. Overall, my wife enjoyed the Caribbean flair. We will go back great location. Valet parking a little steep $18 but if you there all night, it's a bargain.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cub LibreRandyDined on 7/31/2014We have eaten here several times. It is wonderful. We loved the bento box for lunch and the selections. We recommend it to everyone we know.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food. SLOW ServiceFalconerVIPDined on 7/29/2014Liked the food very much. However service and food preparation was very, very slow (this was on a Tuesday for dinner).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always at the top of my listObxkarmaVIPDined on 7/27/2014dudes and dudettes, just go to this place and experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.