Cuba Libre Restaurant & Rum Bar
10 South 2nd Street
Philadelphia, PA 19106Neighborhood:
CubanPrice: $30 and under
Cuba Libre Restaurant & Rum Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cubalibrerestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2156270666
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday 11:30am - 3:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Wednesday 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Thursday 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sat -Sun 3:00pm - 11:00pm
Late Dining: Friday & Saturday until 11:30pm
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday 10:30am - 1:30pm (all-you-can-eat available for $26). 1:30-2:30 à la carte only.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, Caribbean, Cuban
- Executive Chef: Guillermo Pernot
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: After dinner hours, on Fridays, Saturdays and for special events, Cuba Libre clears the tables and turns up the Latin rhythm as professional salsa dancers perform choreographed floor shows in the dining room. Between shows guests dance to a DJ spinning tropical dance, salsa, merengue, bachata & Latin house.
- Special Events: Consider Cuba Libre Restaurant & Rum the destination for your next social or corporate event.Whether it’s an intimate party of 15, a grand event for 400, a themed cocktail party or an elegantdinner, Cuba Libre is the ideal setting for an unforgettable private party or special event.
- Cross Street: Between Market & Chestnut Streets
- Public Transit: Phlash, Septa Market-Frankford Line (2nd & Market)
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Cuba Libre is located on Second Street at Market Street in the Old City section of Philadelphia. Street parking / meter parking may be available in the neighborhood. Several paid lots are close by, and valet parking is offered by a private company Wednesday through Saturday.
A word from Cuba Libre Restaurant & Rum Bar
Cuba Libre features a contemporary interpretation of traditional Cuban cuisine and a broad base of authentic Cuban cocktails, including the largest selection of rum in Philadelphia. The restaurant’s interior has a beautifully weathered historical feel. The materials combine warm mahogany and oak, cracked tile, painted plaster, exposed concrete and brick, and iron railings. With iron balconies overlooking a courtyard, a dramatic 30-foot ceiling, and paddle fans turning lazily, the space looks and feels like a street in Old Havana in the mid 1950s.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Cuba Libre Restaurant & Rum Bar - Best Restaurants in Old City ›
Cuba Libre Restaurant & Rum Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
212 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (110)special occasion (87)good for groups (86)hot spot (78)neighborhood gem (74)vibrant bar scene (72)romantic (57)great for outdoor dining (48)late-night find (46)great for brunch (28)great for lunch (27)scenic view (16)kid-friendly (10)notable wine list (4)Show More
- Cubana delight!ronk5Dined on 10/19/2014We enjoyed our meal at Cuba Libre. My cubana(probably spelled wrong lol) sand which, was great, and my wife enjoyed the spare ribs. Will go again and get another 1000 pts!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/19/2014Not the best place to eat breakfast of you have a gluten and egg allergy. Also not super kid friendly for brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cuba LibreOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014This is a great place for Cuban appetizers and if you eat dinner here on Saturday night, you can come back for dancing at 11pm. Dancing was very fun!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little bit of Cuba...GdudeDined on 10/18/2014Looking for a dining experience that helps you feel cosmopolitan? Try Cuba Libre for a great selection of ethnic food and drink choices. From a warm ambience bringing a café experience to your table to the servers pronouncing menu selections in a Cuban dialect, it's tough to not have a fine, fun dining experience at Cuba Libre. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- Good but not greatPsujimDined on 10/17/2014It was very loud and not a great place to carry on a normal conversation over dinner. The food was very good and the portions were well sized, but it is a bit on the pricy side. In all it was a place I would go to again.Special Features:
- Completely amazing!hoorayscienceDined on 10/17/2014I had heard of Cuba Libre many times during the six years I have lived in Philadelphia, so I was excited to finally dine there. It was amazing in every possible way. Delicious food, excellent service, and lovely decor. Our server was helpful with recommendations and with accommodating requests. I look forward to visiting many times in the future!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeHappydinerDined on 10/15/2014We went to Cuba Libre for a special occasion and they could not have been more helpful and friendly. The food was absolutely delicious. The menu was explained in great detail and great suggestions made. We all loved the food, the atmosphere and the service.Special Features:
- If I can't be in the Islands...CookCookBluesDined on 10/13/2014this is the next best thing! Great mojitos and rum selections. Great food, service and the place is beautiful! This is really a nice dining experience.I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent restaurantcarroxyDined on 10/12/2014Good food, excellent service, good location, romantic place, and good for family etcSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Every TimeGourmandExtraordinaireDined on 10/12/2014We've gone here 3 times and each time leave delighted. The food is delicious and authentic. The service is always well-timed and usually friendly. On this particular occasion we even had the manager stop by and bring us a glass of extraordinary brandy, on the house. Will definitely be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Was able to dine veganOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/12/2014My husband and I revisited Cuba Libre after many years for our anniversary dinner. We were looking for a meal with tons of flavor and something a little different. Cuba Libre delivered! The service was great, the wine list was very good and our meal of trio of dips, mushroom ceviche, salad and vegetable paella was delicious. And the ambiance is also so nice We're glad we returned.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeJunito17Dined on 10/11/2014Great food good service great club scene , had a blast , recommended to anyone:)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodlgrantDined on 10/11/2014Food was outstanding, the staff helpful and friendly. After 11 party energetic and vibrant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!LorenzHouseDined on 10/11/2014Wonderful evening! The setting was lovely and romantic. We started, after the excellent suggestion of our waiter, With guacamole (made with grilled pineapple!) and plaintain chips, and excellent mojitos (my husband added the extra rum and I had a mango Mojito). Next we shared two empanadas and the fabulous Cuban bread and mango butter. Service was on the "savor" speed, which we like. When we wanted the waiter, he was right there! We told him we wanted to share the entrees; he had the yummy seafood paella brought to the center and had the Chimmichurri steak halved in the kitchen. The latter was divine with complex flavors. We finished with a dessert flight (the only "blah" moment) and an excellent latte with coconut milk. Ready to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- relaxingmarriedhappyDined on 10/11/2014Great place with fantastic food. It is at once a romantic venue and high verve social destination. Enjoyed combination atmosphereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good drinks and foodJSENCDined on 10/10/2014The coconut margarita was wonderful, as were the empanada appetizers and the guacamole. A very pleasant meal.Special Features:
- Enjoyable and AffordableSteveVIPDined on 10/10/2014We were surprised how much food came on each of the "small" plates - 5 dishes were more than enough for the two of us. Our server knew the food and was perfectly attentive - not overbearing, but there when we needed something. The mohitos were very tasty, with a hint of sweetness on top of the rum, although lacking the sugar cane stick they used to serve.Special Features:
- Cuba LibreNoWWtodayDined on 10/10/2014The restaurant is like I remembered, since I hadn't had a chance to visit for a few years. The mojitos are still the best, and to offer the Classic and Mango varieties at half price during happy hour is genius on their part. You could also sit down to a tasting menu dinner, or pick and choose from a large menu. More impressive than the drinks and food (which were delicious) was the SERVICE. On a Friday evening, my party of three had a hard work week. We were catered to from the very beginning, from the gracious hostess to the bartenders to the wait staff. You could go to plenty of places and get fed and served alcohol, but without good service, you wouldn't return. Every time I visit, I am reminded of why I love this establishment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Cuba LibreFoodFanDined on 10/8/2014Great location in old city - we were seated in cozy corner of one of the many rooms the restaurant has (also has a second floor). We ordered yucca fries: they came right out - warm and crispy. The cuban bread was served with a heavenly mango butter. We also ordered arroz con pollo - since we wanted home-style comfort food after going to other more trendy, pushing-the-food-envelope in our previous nights out in the city (on vacation). Portion was ample and nicely presented. Other reviews complain that food not spicy enough; we thought it was perfect. Nice selection of Spanish wines and Rums. Ordered a flan for dessert - and was happy that the portion size was not overwhelming. Had just the right sugar "edge". Waiter was great.Special Features:
- moceansylviaDined on 10/8/2014This is a great restaurant. Thanks to the our very knowledgeable waiter his suggestions were amazing. Can't wait to go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- reliableprefernottoVIPDined on 10/7/2014In our neighborhood, it has a varied and delicious menu. Server was a bit slow but well versed in the menu, including gluten free options. We enjoyed several small plates. We have never had a bad experience at this restaurant.Special Features:
- All around great experiencefreddaDined on 10/5/2014Cuba Libre is always a lovely experience. The decor the food the service are all excellent. Saturday nights have music and dancers. Brunches are also fun. I love the small plates for sharing and tasting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely wonderfulKittyDined on 10/4/2014First, Ryan is the best server ever. Checks in frequently, knows his rums, very thoughtful. He even advised that we had ordered too much food! What server does that? Got my husband's coffee in a go cup as we headed to the Arden. The food was also great. Recommended: the guacamole with plantain chips, chicharones, special stuffed poblano appetizer with duck confit, shrimp in red curry sauce, and the trio of small desserts (I got flan, rice pudding, and tres leches cake, all small and yummy!). The mojitos were very good, and my husband was thrilled to find a favorite rum that he thought was discontinued. The food actually seemed better to us than previous visits, and we liked it before anyway! Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!yummytummyDined on 10/3/2014The food is great! It is not a cheap restaurant by any means, but it was very good. I have sat at the bar and had drinks and appetizers and been satisfied for a meal. This time we sat at a table (had to make a reservation) and had entrees which were delicious, but left completely stuffed. The manager came by to check how we enjoyed the meal and to promote the Sunday brunch special, which features a certain number appetizers/tapas for a flat rate per person. I think this would be a great idea that I'm looking forward to trying!Special Features:
- Great seafood soup!NewZagats2VIPDined on 10/2/2014Especially great is that seafood soup! The salad with watercress is special too! …Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cuban cutieSkiptheguffDined on 9/30/2014The food here was innovative, well presented, and delicious. Loved the courtyard feel to the room and the open view of the sidewalk. Our waitress was very busy but still quite attentive. Drinks were delicious. My one glass of wine was a minor disappointment. Music, though, was way too loud. I like the music choices but the volume made it hard to carry on a conversation at our little table of three.Special Features:
- SimonAshleyDined on 9/29/2014We came here for our second anniversary dinner, and Cuba Libre did not disappoint. The dining room is beautiful. I had a glass of rum and we split a half pitcher of white sangria. The food- just phenomenal. To start with, we had the Spinach and Manchego Buñuelos. We were served toasted bread with mango butter, which we both agreed was a nice sweet compliment to the savory course we started with. The server and bussers were speedy and efficient refilling waters, clearing plates, and replacing silverware. We were also very happy with the timing of the courses- we had some time to digest our apps before our tasty dinners. All in all, we were very impressed, and our only regret is that we did not save room for dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- luv2dineDined on 9/27/2014Great night at Cuba Libre! Great food, romantic decor, superior service. Our first visit and we will definitely return.Special Features:
- WinnerRob1Dined on 9/27/2014My family and I had never tried This restaurant despite all the years that it been open. Now we been there twice in a month to celebrate birthdays. It's our new favorite place amazing food great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nightlifeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014Very disappointed with the music. Instead of Latin night, it was all hip hop. Very unpleasant. I expected to dance to Spanish music, I don't know why they deviated from that. I hope they don't ruin the place by attracting a different type of crowd. the best feature of Cuba libre was its older more mature crowd that went there strictly for dancing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TinaDined on 9/20/2014Awesome! Food, service, atmosphere.....all great. Can't wait to go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingDisappointingDined on 9/20/2014I booked a Saturday night dinner for 3 for 8:00pm. We were not seated until 8:45pm though there were open tables. I had requested through Open Table to be seated in a central location so that we could have a great view and feel for the place. We were seated upstairs against the wall with very little to look at. Next to us was a very loud obnoxious group of 20-somethings who acted like elementary school kids which added to the disappointment. The food was overpriced and was not any where near as palatable as Jummy Buffet's Margareta Ville. (sp?) We did not order alcohol because a very small bottle of beer costs $6.00. Save your money, pass on this one.Special Features:
- B-Day DinnerSixer1Dined on 9/20/2014The restaurant is beautifully decorated. My wife and I had a wonderful dinner, celebrating her birthday. The staff was extremely attentive, at times seeming to go out of their way to make our evening more enjoyable...( we were seating near the 2nd floor server station, which occasionally proved a distraction). Would recommend this restaurant, and plan to return.Special Features:
- food not great valuefoodjunkieDined on 9/20/2014the food was good but overpriced for what you got. Passion Fruit Mojito was terrible and we ordered an entire pitcher - was too sour and tasted more like lime than passion fruit. Service was good but they asked if we wanted to sit inside or outside; we said outside and were taken to 2nd floor of restaurant and stuck in a tight corner near the window - I guess a window view to the outside means outside to them
- Great restaurant, not so great clubJossieDined on 9/19/2014This place was sold to me as a place to dance salsa. The food was good and they had food options which the waitress made sure to confirm as vegan. The tostones were crispy as they should be, the house salad was pretty big and filling, and the mushroom ceviche, while not my favorite, was interesting. The reason I give this place 3 stars is because they played literally 4 salsa songs in the entire night, and I can really say this because I was there from the time the dance floor opened to the time they kicked us out. They played some bachata and merengue, but the overwhelming majority of the songs played were electronic or hip hop. Don't call it a salsa night if you're just going to play the stuff every radio station and club plays.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dont waste your time or moneyLadiesNightOutDined on 9/19/2014I expected so much more. The ratings online raved about this location, I will truely say it was a first and last for everyone in my party.Overall I was very disappointed.We were there an hour before getting our main course and then the food was cold.Special Features:
- Good, could have been betterWeAreDiners7Dined on 9/19/2014The food was great. The service could have been better. We felt rushed in & out of there. Didn't even get their signature bread. The waiter spoke so fast, you could barely keep up. But that was outweighed by the entree which tasted amazing. Our seats sucked because they were in a busy area, but I know the ambiance away from that area is great, so I'd definitely recommend this restaurant for some decent Cuban food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BlahMsLadyDinesVIPDined on 9/19/2014This was my second visit to Cuba Libre. I don't know if it was due to it being RW or not but I was not impressed. I had the same dishes before but they weren't good this time. The waiter wasn't very attentive at all. I was with 4 friends who also said they wouldn't be returning unless it was a majority pick. I had the tostones, grilled baby octopus salad, suntanned salmon and a virgin mango mojito. The tostones were good (with the dips), the octopus was meh (flavorless), the salmon was ok (with everything else on the plate but bland by itself) and from the dessert sampler the flan was really good. I more than likely won't be going back to Cuba Libre. Nothing stood out to anyone, oh wait except for the seafood soup, which even smelled yummy.
- great lunch in PhillyOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/19/2014We had a great lunch in Philadelphia at Cuba Libre. Food is great, good selection, and they have a super rum selection. Recommended!Special Features:
- Food was awfulJloca215Dined on 9/18/2014Not sure if it was just the restaurant week menu or what but the food was terrible. The only thing I finished was my mojito and the bread was good. I left hungry. Even dessert was pretty awful. We were seated in the back right by the kitchen. The service wasn't great either. Took a long time and the waitress took forever to bring me a fork after they accidentally took it. I'd go for drinks and dancing, but food, never again.Special Features: