Cuba Libre - DC
801 9th Street NW
Washington, DC 20001Neighborhood:
CubanPrice: $31 to $50
Cuba Libre - DC
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cubalibrerestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2024081600
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday 4:00 pm to 9:00 pm , Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm , Friday & Saturday 11:00 pm to 1:00 am Limited Bar Menu ,
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, Caribbean, Cuban
- Executive Chef: Guillermo Pernot
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Join us as our residents DJs spin Merengue, Salsa, Bachata and House music beginning at 11:00pm every Friday and Saturday for your dancing entertainment. Cuba Libre Restaurant & Rum Bar also regularly features performances by our professional dancers & master percussionist, theme parties and special guest DJs.
- Cross Street: Corner of 9th & H Streets
- Public Transit: Two Blocks away from Chinatown Metro Stop (Red, Yellow, Green Lines). Four Blocks from Metro Center Stop (Orange & Blue Lines)
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Cuba Libre is located on corner of 9th & H Streets NW in the Penn Quarter neighborhood of Washington DC. Street parking / meter parking may be available in the neighborhood. Several paid lots are close by, and valet parking is offered by a private company nightly.
A word from Cuba Libre - DC
Cuba Libre Restaurant & Rum Bar features Nuevo Cubano cuisine by two-time James Beard award-winning Chef Guillermo Pernot. Pernot's menus feature tantalizing tastes that are derived from the exotic island"s culinary traditions, which include Spanish, African, Creole and Asian influences. The restaurant's atmosphere transports guests to Old Havana circa the 1950s. One-of-a-kind millwork and architectural salvage including unique doors, gates, cabinetry, furniture and accessories help capture the essence of old Cuban architecture. Colorful exotic foliage and large potted palm trees add to Cuba Libre's open-air, tropical ambiance. Featuring a selection of over 70 rums, Cuba Libre's uniquely refreshing house specialty, the mojito, is made from the authentic Cuban recipe of combining rum, fresh lime juice, fresh mint leaves, a splash of soda and most distinctively, guarapo, sugar cane juice pressed daily on site.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cuba Libre - DC reviews from OpenTable diners
214 reviews since April 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (87)fit for foodies (86)special occasion (79)vibrant bar scene (54)romantic (50)neighborhood gem (46)great for lunch (43)hot spot (40)late-night find (37)great for brunch (36)great for outdoor dining (29)kid-friendly (15)scenic view (10)notable wine list (7)Show More
- Find another spotOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 8/25/2014Lunch was nothing special. Too gimicky and the food was not that great.
- Outstanding atmosphere.BandBDined on 8/23/2014Outstanding atmospher/decor. Noisy with Cuban food somewha modified for American tastes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- will definitely be returningOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/20/20145 of us good friends went to Cuba Libre for drinks and dinner during the extended restaurant week. The servings were ample that we even had to take our entree home. Everyone was satisfied with her food. The food was very good. Even without us saying, the waiter had separate checks for each of us, which made paying quite easy and stress-free. We will definitely be returning.Special Features:
- Lousy HostPepperfoodieDined on 8/19/2014When we arrived for our luncheon reservations 15 minutes early, we were met by a male host that rudely informed us that we were early and that he could seat us but service would not start until 1:30 pm. However, we waited another 15 minutes at the host station while the host had social conversation with another staff member before I interrupted and reminded him to seat us. Also, I inquired why the delay in seating us especially since the entire dining room only had 9 occupied tables. Once again the host rudely reminded me that I was early and grudgingly had us seated. The food was very good and the waitress service was also very good but the damage had already been done by the hostess.
- Delicious Heavenly Delightkgould4Dined on 8/17/2014You feel like you are actually in Cuba from the decor. The food is downright righteous. Anyone who enjoys good tasting Cuban food, I totally recommend it. Its a diamond in the ruff. Great for dates or friends. More upscale, but worth it at least once.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- diningenthusiastDined on 8/17/2014This was my third visit to Cuba Libre, 2 brunches, 1 dinner. All three the same. Great service, helpful staff, great food. we live about 50 miles to the South, so we don't come here often. When we do visit, the experiences have been awesome. I'm not a Spanish speaker, so some of the menu is confusing, but we've always had great staff that schooled and recommended brilliantly.Special Features:
- Excellent brunch optioncprin6VIPDined on 8/17/2014This place is a bit themey (Disney-like) - even your check comes in a cigar box. But the food is delicious, and the service is outstanding! Probably the best coffee I've ever had. The brunch menu is varied and suits all kinds of appetites. Don't believe them when they say it's tapas style though - went for restaurant week and ordered the three items for 20 for the whole table - all five of us had way too much to possibly eat. Portions are quite generous for tapas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Best Cuban EverTheGazzVIPDined on 8/16/2014Food, Service, environment -- the best ever. The reception was a bit antisceptic (host) but once seated -- WOW - what a great plate. We were there during Restauraund Week and the menu was a choice of two Tapas each, a main course, and then you both get BOTH deserts for something like 35 bucks. Top that off with some of the most creative and delicius Ciaparinheas (serious spelling mishap there) and you have got a date made in heaven. We will be talking about our experience here for a long time to come. And it was so unexpected. We had no idea of what we had found in finding Cuba Libre.Special Features:
- loved itbeeindcVIPDined on 8/16/2014My first time at Cuba Libre was for Dine and Dash. After that I knew I would be back. Its such a pretty place, the wait staff were wonderful and the food amazing. We had an awesome time. Best Sangria ever! The only thing I would change is the seats along the edge of the restaurant are freezing from the overhead airconditioner.Special Features:
- DeliciousvegheadfoodieDined on 8/16/2014Pros: The service was friendly and refills kept coming - something kind of hard to find sometimes! The food was great - dishes were unique and greatly inspired by cuban cuisine. Others that we tried were the most authentic I have had. The Mango Mojito was amazing. And the Flan was also great! Creamy and with a great caramel sauce (and I normally don't like caramel). Cons: We went during Restaurant Week, which boasted a separate menu, but I didn't feel like the hostess or waiter really highlighted this menu. For a table of two, the hostess only provided us with one Restaurant Week menu (the waiter eventually gave us another one so we didn't have to share). Getting the check also took some time. Overall it was a good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Restaurant Week Dinner!NeoMaxDined on 8/15/2014This was really a pleasant surprise for us and the food was awesome! We were blown away by the ambiance and atmosphere! :)Special Features:
- Delightful RestaurantTurn2foodDined on 8/15/2014Cuba Libre was wonderful! I came for restaurant week. I had Guacamole, Spinach/manchengo, Arroz con pollo, flan, chocolate tart. Every dish was savory, full of flavor. I also had the passion fruit mojito. The flavor was awesome, but could have used a little more rum. I'd definitely come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/15/2014We went for Restaurant Week but ended up just ordering from the menu because we didn't like the idea of "tapas" The food was great. The drinks were nice but pricey. We will be back!Special Features:
- Food good but service poorcheapcurlzDined on 8/15/2014Our waitress had poor serving skills for a large party. She was extremely slow. The only good thing about the experience was the food. I will try this place again, but I will switch tables if I find out she is my waitress. And if the service is poor again, I will not go back.
- Delicious food and amazing drinksKeddieGogoDined on 8/14/2014We hit this spot up because the menu looked amazing. The food was delicious. The tapas were little bites that were big enough to share and allowed us to sample more than a couple plates. The drinks were a good blend of flavor and alcohol. Really enjoyed this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cuban Cheesecake FactoryDaavDined on 8/14/2014And I actually like the Cheesecake factory, for what it is: a stage set with food. Cuba Libre wants to make you feel like you're in a pre-revolution Cuban club. I get it. But I long for the other Cuban scene of home cooking, styrofoam plates, plastic table cloths under fluorescent lights. Simple, hearty, filling flavorful food at working class prices. I know that's hard to deliver in the current downtown DC real estate market. But it's odd that the Cuban staples: ropa vieja, carne asado, sticky and sweet plantains were not even on the lunch menu. I was told I could come back on Sunday for brunch and have all my favorites then. What we had there was all very tasty. Just not what I remember Cuban dining to be like at all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I'm so full. And happy.mewantbambooDined on 8/12/2014I went here for restaurant week and definitely got the bang for the buck. Two tapas for the appetizer. I went with a friend so we each got something different and shared. My favorites were the springrolls and the seafood soup. We got full off the bread and tapas alone. When the Lechon Asado came out, we could only eat a couple bites but man was it delicious! The desert was perfect- one of the best flan I've ever eaten. Small, but tasty. Our waiter made excellent recommendations and the staff were overall attentive and friendly. Also, they're known for their rum bar. We had a couple caipirinhas with the perfect combination of alcohol and sweetness. I would definitely come back and highly recommend this place. The food is spectacular!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Restaurant Week find!DCgirlVIPDined on 8/12/2014First time diner and it is a lovely restaurant with a "lively" area with more music and a quiet area - very considerate seating options. The decor was beautiful and tasteful. Restaurant week choices were good, and we all enjoyed our meal very much - will definitely bring others to give it a try - looked at the regular lunch and the brunch menus and am already planning a brunch in the next month or so - a nice find and a keeper!Special Features:
- Havana in DCnfwsnotesDined on 8/11/2014From the moment we entered the dining room we felt we had entered the island destination...or at least Ybor City in Tampa! An energetic hostess and eager wait staff made sure our experience was memorable. The manager checked in with us as well. The restaurant week menuvwas generous and appeared to offer the highlights of the regular menu. From 2 tapas to a main dish to a double dessert, each dish was tasty and just enough pop to alert the taste buds. I recommend the red sangria...just right! I've already recommended Cuba Libre...and will return myself as soon as possible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly recommended!MeylingDined on 8/10/2014We were there for lunch on Aug. 10th and were immediately impressed by the decor inside the restaurant. The Cuban Hacienda feel was very beautiful as soon as you walk in. Our waiter, Roberto, was spectacular! He explained the menu very well and made some great recommendations! By far, the best service we've had in a long time!! The food was very tasteful and delicious as well! A MUST GO while in DC!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average Spanish FoodDJPFUSSYDined on 8/9/2014A bit disappointed with the experience. Seems like more of a drinks/dancing place on Saturdays that a restaurant. The paella was okay, not great. Service was very attentive. Won't return, however.Special Features:
- Not open table friendly!KhashayarDined on 8/9/2014I reserved three seats a week ahead for a special occasion. They called me a day before to conform the date which was good. Then two hours before the reservation they called me told me that They have only hour and half for us to eat there since they have a special event. They did not let us in at the entrance because the event despite of the reservation and two phone confirmation at first. They gave us 5 min to look at the menu and pressure us to leave in 45 min. They said it is all because of open table missmanagement to book the event despite their attempt to close off reservation.Special Features:
- Stay awayPhilDined on 8/8/2014Took over 1 hr to get entrees. Food was cold and portions very small. Did not see server for more than 45 minutes! No where to be found.
- expensive.sdca2hnlhiDined on 8/8/2014We were surprised with the $50 tab for a pitcher. Our fault thought for not looking like cheapskates and asking beforehand.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Refreshing treatOnTheGoDined on 8/8/2014Three of us ate lunch here for the first time and found it a refreshing treat. The food was unique and delicious; the atmosphere was upbeat , yet personal, tucked away near the back so we could talk. I also was lucky to go a second time for a group gathering and found Cuba Libre an engaging and lively place to interact and enjoy novel and scrumptious food. Great place for many kinds of meals and meetings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Flavorful food!DueJusticeDined on 8/3/2014The food was so good and so flavorful! Our waitress tried to oversell their mojitos, which she says their known for. That was annoying, on top of the fact that she was forgetful! But overall, it was an enjoyable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the nightclub, NOT the foodfoodforthoughtDined on 8/3/2014Being a food addict I have to say this was not the best experience. We went when the place was empty, I don't see any reason why the seafood in the paella would have been burnt and my steak was over done. To top it the food was way over priced. I still love the night club atmosphere though.
- Good food, mediocre serviceturboturtleDined on 8/3/2014I love the brunch, but had horrible service last time I went. This visit was a little better. The food is amazing! The waitress took 10-15 minutes to bring us drinks and walked past us a few times without checking on us, but checked on the tables nearby. She was a little snippy in the beginning but I think she heard us complain and was nice by the end. The cubano eggrolls, pork fried rice, the bread are my favorites, but everything was good!!Special Features:
- friendly, responsive staffsunnyedazeDined on 8/3/2014I have visited Cuba Libre numerous times because the quality of the food and service never disappoints me. This was the first visit that a member of my party had an issue with their food order (the french toast and omlette was not 'well done' to my friend's liking). The staff immediately replaced the items, and the manager came to our table to make sure we were being served promptly and that the newly arrived dishes were cooked to my friend's satisfaction. We also got a complimentary round of cocktails. This attention just solidified the professionalism of the staff, and Cuba Libre continues to rank at the top of my restaurant list!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food terrible servicecjgill001Dined on 8/2/2014We went there for my daughters' birthday dinner. Upon arriving on time, we checked in and was told by the hostess that she was going to ensure that our table was ready. We stood there for 15 minutes before asking her about the wait. She again asked my name and quickly told us that our table had been given away. After no apologies, we were seated in an extremely busy foot traffic area of the restaurant. The waiter was inattentive and did not describe anything on the menu even after being asked. He disappeared for long periods of time. When he finally appeared, our glasses were empty but we still had to request refills. Luckily the food was good. I would go back again but with lowered expectations and not for any special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent experience!Food4meDined on 8/2/2014I know there are so many great restaurants in DC but every time we get into the city, we eat at Cuba Libre! We love the food and the service has always been exemplary!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodluvrfoodluvrDined on 8/1/2014This was our second time dining at Cuba Libre, and it was just as fantastic as the first. Service was excellent, food was excellent. It is a very vibrant scene, great selection of mojito's that will pair with just about every dish on the menu. Servers were very knowledgeable of the menu items and attentive to the guests needs. Will definitely be backfor a third time!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Placeclari1001Dined on 8/1/2014Ive been to a few Cuba Libres in different states and I must say this was my favorite...Staff was just amazing and the locals were just to wonderfully friendly. Food was perfect, went with a group of friends all females and we decided to do just appetizers and drinks and must say everything was great. The Yuca Fries, was something I have never had before and paired up with the amazing sauce was a burst of happiness in your mouth. :) Guava drink was superb!Special Features:
- Cubre LibreKazeDined on 7/31/2014We had a flight of rum and tapas as we enjoy sharing. The flight of rum changed our opinion that rum is only good for mixing. For food we had, Papas Rellenas, Cuba Libre Chicharrones, and Tostones. All were so good. Don't order huge here and plan on sharing as you will want to try many things. The food is rich so don't ever do it! We really loved this place and will come back every time we are in town. Service is great and the ambiance is fantastic!Special Features:
- GingerakDined on 7/31/2014Accessible to my friend with a mobility disability.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous service2BirthdaysVIPDined on 7/29/2014The food was wonderful, but the service was the best part. Shantel was excellent! Perfectly attentive!Special Features:
- close but no cigar!aPracticalPalateDined on 7/27/2014I love Cuban food but when you become a "chain" you lose that authentic feel. Hostess desk, bored & distracted. Wait staff friendly but only knew what they had been told in training. In an ethic restaurant, you need passion for the food and love of the traditions. I've had Cuban food at Cuban restaurants and felt this. Cuba Libre is just another chain with "Disney like" decor, lots of Rum choices but slow in coming. Sadly it is just OKAY.Special Features:
- Great Food A+. Horrible Service F-PtdinerVIPDined on 7/27/2014Cuba Libre is a wonderful restaurant. I have visited many Cuba Libres such as the one in Orlando and in Philadelphia but never have i ever received such a horrible service. Food is still amazingly delicious but the service was slow, unprofessional and careless. This applied from the host, waiter, and the busser. We spent a total of 2 hours in the restaurant mainly waiting to be served. To give you an idea it took aprox 35 min to get our water. If you are patient and around the area please try as the food is still amazing.Special Features:
- Great FoodDeniseDined on 7/24/2014I visited Cuba Libre for my birthday dinner celebration w/my co-workers and despite feedback I received from fellow NY friends who advised the food isn't that great in comparison to NY Latin restaurants, I absolutely loved the food. I recently visited Cuba in April/May of this year and it brought back memories for me. I enjoyed the décor!!! Unfortunately the service was very slow. It was a busy night and they appeared to be short staffed at the bar. As a result of the time it took for us to get our drinks the manager came over and gave us drinks for free. I appreciated his recovery considering the situation.Special Features:
- Not impressedisol93Dined on 7/24/2014Several issues: 1) The hostesses told us one thing and our waiter said something different about drinks and specials. Both need to be on the same page. 2) the place is very cold, the vents shoot cold air straight down at the tables. 3) it looked like they were short staffed AND had a lot of new staff on board (our waiter had someone accompanying him, but we weren't sure if he was new or if she was new or what). Despite this, after our food was served we did not see our waiter for a long time.