Cuba de Ayer
15446 Old Columbia Pike
Burtonsville, MD 20866Neighborhood:
CubanPrice: $30 and under
Cuba de Ayer
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cubadeayerrestaurant.net/
- Phone: 3014769622x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm
Tuesday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
Friday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
Saturday: 11:30am - 10:00pm
Sunday: 11:30am - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Caribbean, Cuban, Latin / Spanish
- Executive Chef: Mayra Lopez
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We do Catering and delivery for large groups of 20 to 500 or more
please call and ask for Guillermo Bustamante
- Special Events: Birthdays, Rehearsal Dinners, Graduations, Retirement, Going away, Book Clubs, Business luncheons, all special events.
A word from Cuba de Ayer
Come enjoy the tropical tastes of Cuba! Authentic home style Cuban cuisine where our customers feel as though they are eating home cooked meals that would be found in Grandma's kitchen. Cuba de Ayer is an ideal escape for a delicious cup of Cuban coffee, a Cuban grilled sandwich, followed up by something sweet like a slice of tres leches cake. mmm.... Bring your friends, family or come alone-strangers are simply friends we've yet to meet.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Cuba de Ayer - Best Restaurants in Fulton ›
Cuba de Ayer reviews from OpenTable diners
112 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (75)fit for foodies (48)great for lunch (47)good for groups (39)special occasion (30)kid-friendly (23)romantic (20)hot spot (18)late-night find (11)great for brunch (10)vibrant bar scene (8)notable wine list (2)scenic view (2)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- Excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014Survice was excellent and the food extremely tasteful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super, if small, MojitosAlohaLouieVIPDined on 8/29/2014This place bustles on a Friday night. Reservations a must. The food was excellent. The garlic shrimp and avocado appetizer was to die for. We went for the mojitos which, though small, didn't disappoint.Special Features:
- Always terrific!BarbDined on 8/29/2014We went for the umpteenth time, this time with our 7 year old granddaughter. Her burger looked like it was freshly made and my grilled chicken was butterflied, grilled perfectly and moist. My husband always gets arroz con pollo and he loved it as usual. Reliably good with consistently good service.Special Features:
- Best CubanOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/28/2014The servers are the absolute best; friendly, knowledgeable & sincere. I have a food allergy & am a flexitarian. My server made recommendations based on this & what I was in the mood for. He told me what could be modified & would still be just as good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow!TKDCDined on 8/24/2014Had a Groupon so we thought we'd try it. Wow! What a great meal. The empanadas may be the best I’ve ever had. The pork was amazing. This one is a definite "must do" restaurant. We'll be back soon.Special Features:
- Quality of ServiceFoodHeaven27Dined on 8/23/2014My wife and I were amazed that the waiters were teenagers. They knew the menu, attended us fast and worked like a team. Every waiter that passed by our table would make sure we did not have an empty plate; otherwise, it was picked up. No one would expect this high level of service from teens nowadays. Great job to Cuba de Ayer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Traditional Cuban FoodquehaydecomerDined on 8/22/2014I've been coming to Cuba de Ayer for around 6 years because the food is consistently good. Tastes like home-cooking (okay, that's if you're Latin American). The yucca frita with garlic/olive oil is my favorite appetizer. Our family favorites are the lechon asado, pernil, piccadillo and boliche. This is simple, good food, not innovative but predictably good comfort food. Dessert is great too...very creamy flan and tres leches cake are not to be missed. On a weekend night it's very busy and a bit noisy but not a major bother. Wait staff has always been personable and attentive over the years. Just a nice place to eat.Special Features:
- Great Food AlwaysZaidowhitVIPDined on 8/21/2014I always enjoying eating at Cuba de Ayer because they always have food made with fresh ingredients and the service is impeccable. A must try are the drinks... especially the mojitos. Save room for dessert because they have a great selection, the tres leches is a MUST TRY.Special Features:
- popular neighborhood spotMamaKDined on 8/3/2014The three of us ate here due to reviews from my son's friends. The best part of the meal was the service which was friendly, prompt, and fun. I chose a dish recommended by our server and it was good but not a stand out. The tostones were dry and the sauce was bland. I sampled my son's maduras. Very good! First time I had eaten plantains. The restaurant is a little pricey for a down-scale, family-friendly restaurant, but considering that I had enough food for a dinner and two lunches, I guess I got my money's worth. Busy place, lots of kids, looks like a neighborhood favorite.Special Features:
- Special EveningPicEeaterDined on 7/27/2014Really enjoyed the dining experience. Great meal, attentive, and courteous service. Will definitely return for more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Splendid experienceromanticDined on 7/25/2014Some friends and I were looking for a good spot to meet up and unwind. Perfect would be an understatement. My wife loved the food, the ambiance and the service was second to none. Extremely well done and I WILL return!Special Features:
- Tasty CubanDCFoodieVIPDined on 7/23/2014It was a long time since I had Cuban-American food this good. Excellent tostones and dopa vieja. I am ready for more!Special Features:
- Always Good!Smile53Dined on 7/22/2014We go to Cuba de Ayer about once a month, sometimes more, and never have been disappointed. The new bar and expansion to the restaurant has been done really nice. The people are always friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A taste of CubajazwoodDined on 7/22/2014While on this particular day, both the pernil and arroz con pollo were a bit dryer than we would have liked, the flavors were authentic and quite delicious. The service was friendly and attentive and we will certainly return to this gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place,nd444Dined on 7/16/2014Food was delicious. Service was awesome. I really had a great time at this restaurant. I will be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cuban Delight Hidden in the SuburbsTechsan68VIPDined on 7/13/2014I've enjoyed Cuban cuisine in Florida, the Caribbean, and in downtown D.C., but I can stay home in Montgomery County and the same great pork, chicken and fish dishes at Cuba de Ayer. Worth the trip as well for good food lovers throughout the region.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never Disappointsericoa1VIPDined on 7/6/2014Been going here for a while. Once I discovered this place it has never disappointed me. Great food. Well prepared and seasoned. Staff is friendly and service is fast. I also really like the mojito's (one of the few places that makes them right). They've recently expanded their space so it's much bigger and has a nice bar area.Special Features:
- StoneyDined on 7/5/2014Great food, as always. One of my favorite restaurants!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- restaurante favorito!BestrestuarantDined on 7/5/2014I love this restaurant. The food is always amazing...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ola CubaLuv2dineDined on 7/5/2014When I come from NY, I try to make it to the restaurant. The food and service is great and the restaurant renovations are beautiful. Thank you again. Martine M.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always great food!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/3/2014Had great food as usual but poor service unfortunately during this last visit. We think the server may have been new but lacked training. Drinks took 15 minutes to arrive, kept trying to take food order while still waiting for drinks, and no one checked back after food was delivered and needed follow-up. We were also placed in a back corner that lacked proper lighting. We mentioned this to our server but she did nothing to follow-up. Will definitely go back again but will be more selective on server and where seated.Special Features:
- service foodsurpriseDined on 6/27/2014Waiter excellent Food great did not expect to find this gem Iin our own backyard.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tobyDined on 6/21/2014We always have an amazing meal here. Each time we bring another friend they become Cuba de Ayer fans. We will continue enjoying our meals here.Special Features:
- The best of everythingKerrbearDined on 6/21/2014This place wouldn't catch your eye from outside, but it's magical inside. The décor is classy and beautiful, the people are all extremely helpful and friendly, and the food and drinks are out of this world. We had mojitos, empanadas, salmon, beef, flan, and tres leches cake, and everything was the best of its kind we've ever had. And the prices were very reasonable. This is one of my new favorite restaurants.Special Features:
- LeilaniDined on 6/17/2014One of my favorite spots! This is a great place to go when you want a low key evening out. The food is consistently delicious and the servers are friendly and helpful. We ordered the spinach and avocado salad to share as an appetizer. I am not a big fan of vinaigrette in general, but the house vinaigrette is delicious! Although, the vaca frita may still be my favorite dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not as good as last timenopeVIPDined on 6/15/2014Service was very slow although it wasn't crowded at all. I ordered Pernil which is described as roast pork marinated in citrus and topped with onions. I'm familar with the dish having eaten it many time before but what I got was sliced roast pork with hardly any taste, no onions. I described the problem to the waitress and sent it back. It was returned to me - the same plate reheated. The manager took it off the bill which was the right thing to do but he/she never came over to inquire about what the problem was and I don't think our waitress understood.
- Dining ExperienceRicochetDined on 6/15/2014Dining at Cuba de Ayer is a wonderful experience in true Cuban food, with service and reasonable prices that are 5 STAR. From appetizers to desert it just doesn't get any better. If you want to treat your family, friends or business associates bring them here, you'll be a hero to all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food!MarylandGirlDined on 6/14/2014I love this place and have been here many times. Brought a friend here for dinner. I think this is the best cuban restaurant in Maryland and i have been to a lot of them.Special Features:
- Awesome Food!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/13/2014I have been to this restaurant over a dozen times!! Everything I have ever ordered taste amazing! Love this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Cuban food in the DMVfredyDined on 6/13/2014Cuba de Ayer is the best cuban restaurant in the DMV by far. We've been going here for more than 5 years and with the renovarions they made an even better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/7/2014Great food! Tasty and good size menu. I love the Masitas de Puerco and the Mojitos!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Cuban FoodusmchawkDined on 6/7/2014We've been here before they renovated; the renovation is nice resulting in more space - tough to be great when you're still part of a strip mall. However that doesn't distract from the food which is authentic and fabulous. While I've not been to Cuba proper, I've spent a lot of time in Miami and in Key West and ate some terrific Cuban meals -- the food at Cuba de Ayer rivals any of the food down in Florida.Special Features:
- Nice renovation!DezzDined on 5/30/2014The restaurant has expanded since my last visit. It looks great!!!Special Features:
- love the food!peri0Dined on 5/23/2014The food here us awesome! The recently remodeled restaurant has a lot if nice features and a LOT more room, which is great because the old space was small, cramped, & just as popular! They accept reservations,which you can make online, and I highly recommend. The pernil is out if this world, but the service last night was incredibly slow. Either way, we'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time after renovationZiggy13VIPDined on 5/20/2014I used to love the food at this place but the decor was eeh! Now, after the place has been renovated the food was mediocre to say the least and service was a bit on a slow side although the wait staff was friendly and did her job, it's the kitchen where the problem seemed to lay.Special Features:
- Casually good food, great serviceNotQuiteAFoodieVIPDined on 5/17/2014Cuba de Ayer has no pretense, but it delivers a tasty meal and the service is impeccable. i have not been to Cuba, but of all the Cuban restaurants I've been to, this one felt most authentic. We'll be back!Special Features:
- Loved it!JudyVIPDined on 5/11/2014Authentic delicious Cuban cuisine! We were there for Mother's Day. The place was very lively and fun. You can make an entire meal out of the delicious appetizers!Special Features:
- Wonderful ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014It was Mother's Day and we made reservations online ahead of time. Upon arriving, I still thought we'd have to wait a while to be seated. But, to our wonderful surprise, we were seated immediately. We had a great time enjoying deliciously made food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeTable4fourDined on 5/11/2014We went to Cuba de Ayer to celebrate Mother's Day. The food is tasty, authentic, and fresh. They have a clearly marked gluten-free menu with many choices. Best of all, though, was our waiter. He was attentive, knowledgable, and best of all, he had the sweetest attitude and a smile to match!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Cuban foodGoodStuffDined on 5/10/2014The meals were well done and everyone was happy. Noise level was a bit much with one of the guests needing to return to the car after his meal.Special Features: