Cuba de Ayer
15446 Old Columbia Pike
Burtonsville, MD 20866Neighborhood:
CubanPrice: $30 and under
Cuba de Ayer
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cubadeayerrestaurant.net/
- Phone: 3014769622x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm
Tuesday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
Friday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
Saturday: 11:30am - 10:00pm
Sunday: 11:30am - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Caribbean, Cuban, Latin / Spanish
- Executive Chef: Mayra Lopez
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We do Catering and delivery for large groups of 20 to 500 or more
please call and ask for Guillermo Bustamante
- Special Events: Birthdays, Rehearsal Dinners, Graduations, Retirement, Going away, Book Clubs, Business luncheons, all special events.
A word from Cuba de Ayer
Come enjoy the tropical tastes of Cuba! Authentic home style Cuban cuisine where our customers feel as though they are eating home cooked meals that would be found in Grandma's kitchen. Cuba de Ayer is an ideal escape for a delicious cup of Cuban coffee, a Cuban grilled sandwich, followed up by something sweet like a slice of tres leches cake. mmm.... Bring your friends, family or come alone-strangers are simply friends we've yet to meet.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Cuba de Ayer - Best Restaurants in Fulton ›
Cuba de Ayer reviews from OpenTable diners
116 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (83)fit for foodies (51)great for lunch (44)good for groups (39)special occasion (31)kid-friendly (21)romantic (20)hot spot (15)late-night find (9)great for brunch (9)vibrant bar scene (6)great for outdoor dining (3)scenic view (2)notable wine list (2)Show More
- good dinner butAloysiousDined on 9/21/2014The food was very good. The service after the initial greeting by our waitress the service went down. We ordered a bottle of wine with three glasses and we received three glasses of wine. Then stated that we ordered a bottle of wine After about ten minute the wine arrived but it was very warm (like it came out of the oven) Sent it back and ordered beer which was cold like it should be.Special Features:
- DateBUISSP99Dined on 9/21/2014My husband went here for a Sunday date and it was wonderful. The drinks were unique and tasty. The food was delightful and flavorful. The service was on point. We sat in the bar area and had Mary wait on us. She was attentive, precise and friendly. If you want Cubana, Cuba de Ayer is the place to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/21/2014The last time we went to Cuba de Ayer, it was a small place. We were surprised to see the changes. Great food. Nice ambiance. Will be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Okay, But...radialDined on 9/21/2014I'm not sure what I was expecting, but the reviews on Yelp were pretty enthusiastic so I guess I expected a little more. To me the food was pretty tasty but unexceptional. I'm not an expert on Cuban food, but there's a Cuban place in Frederick, MD with really exceptional food, so I feel reasonably well qualified to appreciate when it's being done well. Service was okay, but I had to remind the waiter to follow up on some things he promised to do "right away." Don't get me wrong, it wasn't an unpleasant experience. Just not a restaurant I'll go out of my way to visit again.
- great place2865Dined on 9/20/2014My family loves coming here. We come about once a month. Keep up the good work.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/20/2014Both dishes my husband and I ordered were delicious. We have been to Cuba d"Ayer a number of times and have brought friends with us to introduce them to delicious Cuban food!!! Even reluctant diners became fans.Special Features:
- perfecto!CubanAtHeartDined on 9/19/2014If you good food, come here. If you want good cuban food, look no further. Have been here twice and its only gotten better. Delicious food, great portions, and not too bad on pricing. Great selection of beers and cocktails. You just fall in love with a place like this.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food at a Reasonable PricespeakermanDined on 9/19/2014My wife and I dine here often. I've had most of the dishes on the menu. I've never had a meal that wasn't fantastic and tasty. The mojitos are the best I've had.Special Features:
- worth the triprablatDined on 9/14/2014We have lived around 20-30 minutes from the restaurant, but the food is totally worth the drive. This is some of the best homestyle Cuban food you will find around the Baltimore/Washington DC area. My favorite dish is the ropa vieja, whereas my wife enjoys the arroz con pollo, but there are other delicious items on the menu. The Cuban coffee, iced coffee, and guava cheesecake are also great after-dinner treats. Reservations are recommended for popular dining times, but OpenTable makes it easy to get one.Special Features:
- Great Food and service!Tech661Dined on 9/13/2014If you're looking for great cuban cuisine this is the place for it! I've been going here for years and the quality is always on point. The service was amazing and staff knowledgeable on the menu. I will continue to be a patron for as long as their doors are open!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentRayReviewsDined on 9/6/2014The food and service was EXCELLENT! The waitress was extremely professional and attentive. The drinks were great as wellSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- it was oktitoVIPDined on 9/6/2014biggest disappointment, no cuban coffee, we had just come back from a week in Florida, little Havana and such, and my better half was looking forward to it. Food was ok, I think they are catering to the american crowd. That's all I will said about it. Otherwise, was ok.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Doesn't live up to the hype.Dining4LifeDined on 9/6/20146 on Sat night for 40th bday celebration dinner. Was told the table wait was 25 min despite OpenTable reservation. Nowhere to wait, bar was full & "wait seating" was full so crowded in the doorway. Full restaurant & service was slow at best. Inadvisable to even remind them we were "celebrating" a special occasion per the msg on reservation. Server brought the app a friend ordered as an entree out 20 min before the rest of the entrees. He was forced to stare at his food waiting for our entrees to arrive. Not attentive on refills & didn't come by to check order came out as requested. Food was just OK, very salty and ropa vieja lacked flavor. Cubano's in Silver Spring is better food/drinks & service for the price.
- Good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/4/2014Food is great here. Got the chicken salciado with the beans and rice. So yum!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/4/2014The food is always amazing. The avocado salmon was delicious and perfectly cooked. The flavors were light and fragrant. When given a choice, I always pick the mixed black beans and rice over the white rice with black beans on top; and sweet plantains over the fried ones. The portions are generous. The expansion last year is wonderful with a bar area and more space.Special Features:
- Excellent restaurantVic14Dined on 9/4/2014Do NOT let the location fool you, this restaurant is excellent! The food is top notch and the ambiance is inviting. Staff is friendly and courteous without being smothering. Service was a little slow at times but good overall. Definitelly recommend!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!luvtoeat1Dined on 8/30/2014Survice was excellent and the food extremely tasteful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super, if small, MojitosAlohaLouieVIPDined on 8/29/2014This place bustles on a Friday night. Reservations a must. The food was excellent. The garlic shrimp and avocado appetizer was to die for. We went for the mojitos which, though small, didn't disappoint.Special Features:
- Always terrific!BarbDined on 8/29/2014We went for the umpteenth time, this time with our 7 year old granddaughter. Her burger looked like it was freshly made and my grilled chicken was butterflied, grilled perfectly and moist. My husband always gets arroz con pollo and he loved it as usual. Reliably good with consistently good service.Special Features:
- Best CubanNoChainFoodsDined on 8/28/2014The servers are the absolute best; friendly, knowledgeable & sincere. I have a food allergy & am a flexitarian. My server made recommendations based on this & what I was in the mood for. He told me what could be modified & would still be just as good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow!TKDCDined on 8/24/2014Had a Groupon so we thought we'd try it. Wow! What a great meal. The empanadas may be the best I’ve ever had. The pork was amazing. This one is a definite "must do" restaurant. We'll be back soon.Special Features:
- Quality of ServiceFoodHeaven27Dined on 8/23/2014My wife and I were amazed that the waiters were teenagers. They knew the menu, attended us fast and worked like a team. Every waiter that passed by our table would make sure we did not have an empty plate; otherwise, it was picked up. No one would expect this high level of service from teens nowadays. Great job to Cuba de Ayer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Traditional Cuban FoodquehaydecomerDined on 8/22/2014I've been coming to Cuba de Ayer for around 6 years because the food is consistently good. Tastes like home-cooking (okay, that's if you're Latin American). The yucca frita with garlic/olive oil is my favorite appetizer. Our family favorites are the lechon asado, pernil, piccadillo and boliche. This is simple, good food, not innovative but predictably good comfort food. Dessert is great too...very creamy flan and tres leches cake are not to be missed. On a weekend night it's very busy and a bit noisy but not a major bother. Wait staff has always been personable and attentive over the years. Just a nice place to eat.Special Features:
- Great Food AlwaysZaidowhitVIPDined on 8/21/2014I always enjoying eating at Cuba de Ayer because they always have food made with fresh ingredients and the service is impeccable. A must try are the drinks... especially the mojitos. Save room for dessert because they have a great selection, the tres leches is a MUST TRY.Special Features:
- popular neighborhood spotMamaKDined on 8/3/2014The three of us ate here due to reviews from my son's friends. The best part of the meal was the service which was friendly, prompt, and fun. I chose a dish recommended by our server and it was good but not a stand out. The tostones were dry and the sauce was bland. I sampled my son's maduras. Very good! First time I had eaten plantains. The restaurant is a little pricey for a down-scale, family-friendly restaurant, but considering that I had enough food for a dinner and two lunches, I guess I got my money's worth. Busy place, lots of kids, looks like a neighborhood favorite.Special Features:
- Special EveningPicEeaterDined on 7/27/2014Really enjoyed the dining experience. Great meal, attentive, and courteous service. Will definitely return for more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Splendid experienceromanticDined on 7/25/2014Some friends and I were looking for a good spot to meet up and unwind. Perfect would be an understatement. My wife loved the food, the ambiance and the service was second to none. Extremely well done and I WILL return!Special Features:
- Tasty CubanDCFoodieVIPDined on 7/23/2014It was a long time since I had Cuban-American food this good. Excellent tostones and dopa vieja. I am ready for more!Special Features:
- Always Good!Smile53Dined on 7/22/2014We go to Cuba de Ayer about once a month, sometimes more, and never have been disappointed. The new bar and expansion to the restaurant has been done really nice. The people are always friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A taste of CubajazwoodDined on 7/22/2014While on this particular day, both the pernil and arroz con pollo were a bit dryer than we would have liked, the flavors were authentic and quite delicious. The service was friendly and attentive and we will certainly return to this gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place,nd444Dined on 7/16/2014Food was delicious. Service was awesome. I really had a great time at this restaurant. I will be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cuban Delight Hidden in the SuburbsTechsan68VIPDined on 7/13/2014I've enjoyed Cuban cuisine in Florida, the Caribbean, and in downtown D.C., but I can stay home in Montgomery County and the same great pork, chicken and fish dishes at Cuba de Ayer. Worth the trip as well for good food lovers throughout the region.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never Disappointsericoa1VIPDined on 7/6/2014Been going here for a while. Once I discovered this place it has never disappointed me. Great food. Well prepared and seasoned. Staff is friendly and service is fast. I also really like the mojito's (one of the few places that makes them right). They've recently expanded their space so it's much bigger and has a nice bar area.Special Features:
- StoneyDined on 7/5/2014Great food, as always. One of my favorite restaurants!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- restaurante favorito!BestrestuarantDined on 7/5/2014I love this restaurant. The food is always amazing...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ola CubaLuv2dineDined on 7/5/2014When I come from NY, I try to make it to the restaurant. The food and service is great and the restaurant renovations are beautiful. Thank you again. Martine M.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always great food!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/3/2014Had great food as usual but poor service unfortunately during this last visit. We think the server may have been new but lacked training. Drinks took 15 minutes to arrive, kept trying to take food order while still waiting for drinks, and no one checked back after food was delivered and needed follow-up. We were also placed in a back corner that lacked proper lighting. We mentioned this to our server but she did nothing to follow-up. Will definitely go back again but will be more selective on server and where seated.Special Features:
- service foodsurpriseDined on 6/27/2014Waiter excellent Food great did not expect to find this gem Iin our own backyard.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tobyDined on 6/21/2014We always have an amazing meal here. Each time we bring another friend they become Cuba de Ayer fans. We will continue enjoying our meals here.Special Features:
- The best of everythingKerrbearDined on 6/21/2014This place wouldn't catch your eye from outside, but it's magical inside. The décor is classy and beautiful, the people are all extremely helpful and friendly, and the food and drinks are out of this world. We had mojitos, empanadas, salmon, beef, flan, and tres leches cake, and everything was the best of its kind we've ever had. And the prices were very reasonable. This is one of my new favorite restaurants.Special Features: