Crow's Nest - Hotel Captain Cook
939 West 5th Ave
Anchorage, AK 99501Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Crow's Nest - Hotel Captain Cook
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.captaincook.com/dining/crows-nest
- Phone: (907) 343-2217
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, French
- Executive Chef: Chef De' Cuisine Reuben Gerber
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The Crow's Nest offers two semi-private rooms that can hold up to 14 and 18. One completely private room that can hold up to 10.
A word from Crow's Nest - Hotel Captain Cook
Innovative French and New American cuisine, paired with an outstanding selection of over 10,000 bottles of wine. 360 degree views of downtown Anchorage, Chugach Mountain Range and Cook Inlet. Experience Alaska’s finest, at the Hotel Captain Cook.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Crow's Nest - Hotel Captain Cook - Best Restaurants in Anchorage ›
Crow's Nest - Hotel Captain Cook reviews from OpenTable diners
97 reviews since July 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (84)special occasion (83)romantic (69)notable wine list (62)fit for foodies (39)good for groups (13)late-night find (10)neighborhood gem (7)vibrant bar scene (5)hot spot (4)great for brunch (3)kid-friendly (2)great for lunch (2)Show More
- An excellent experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/19/2014My server was excellent--just the right mix of knowledge, attentiveness, and privacy. The meal was tasteful and visually pleasing. The view was breathtaking. I had no wait to be seated for my reservation. I would definitely recommend this restaurant, and I will return in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnniversaryDined on 11/15/2014Thanks, Aaron, for providing us with another fantastic anniversary celebration. As always, the food, wine and view are outstanding but it's you that keeps us coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- B-Day In The NestFullAlaskanDined on 11/12/2014I have never been to the Crow's Nest for any type of meal, I just couldn't afford to go there. Then a friend asked me where I wanted to go for my birthday. He said he would take me wherever I wanted to go, it was my day. So I called him back and told him I wanted to go to the Crow's Nest. It was also my son's birthday and he was generous enough to take him as well. When we got off the elevator we were greeted right away and seated even though we were early for our reservation. Our server was quick and very knowledgeable of the menu's. Our server's were very prompt to fill our water glasses and clear dishes from our table and they even supplied us with clean utensils with each meal course (I didn't have to worry about using the wrong fork lol) which was very impressive. Each course came out just as we finished one, which made sense because our servers were always hovering nearby to make sure we were served well. Now, on to the food. Everything was excellent from our 5-cheese tray to the delicious rolls we were served. The lamb and steaks were cooked just as our server said they would be and we ended up taking home "doggie plates" due to such good and filling portions. I have never had such tender and juicy lamb, even when I heated it up it was good. The view was excellent during dinner and afterwards we were able to take photo's in one of the unoccupied booth area's that made the bowl of Anchorage the backdrop for our photo. On that note, the food is great, the service is great and the prices do match the quality and quantity of the food you are served. The draw back is that you are forced to pay for your own "extra" plate to share your meal. They are always watching so if you even let someone eat more than a spoonful off your plate, you have to pay because you will see it on your bill. All I can say is you can't really fault them, if you don't have the big bucks don't go there to eat. One meal = $95+ if you also have drinks. Bon Apetit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service ... Great FoodCamsDined on 11/8/2014We had a great experience at The Crow's Nest. The service was great and the food was great. The steaks must be exceptional because they did not have enough prepared when we arrived. The server said that they were 50 mins from being ready. I'm guessing they were really good. If you have $300 to drop on dinner, very nice place with 360 degree view of Anchorage.Special Features:
- Fancy DininglakesidegalVIPDined on 11/7/2014This place is great for a special occasion. The service was top notch, the food was excellent. A wonderful eveningSpecial Features:
- Was expecting a bit more...shakenbakeDined on 11/1/2014I took my lady there for an evening getaway and I have to say, both steaks were overcooked and faily generic tasting. I went there for the atmosphere, and that was amazing as always, but the food could have been a bit more on point. Dessert was excellent, and prepared directly at our table, which helped make the experience a memorable one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/29/2014Never been here before until last night but will be coming back all the timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wine Dinner and ViewSramDined on 10/24/2014Very helpful fun and knowledgable. Great food great wine magnificent view. Everyone has a smile on their face. My favorite spot in anchorage.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/23/2014Awesome service, great food!! A wonderful evening!Special Features:
- PerfectTommyDined on 10/21/2014Great date. Great food and ambiance. A special place for Alaskans.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful viewsMiamiDineGalDined on 10/18/2014While visiting Anchorage, hubby & I went for dinner at the Crow's Nest. Service was a little slow at first.. but very courteous. Plates we ordered:The Fresh Oysters w/ the Watermelon Sorbet, an enjoyable and unique surprise. Elk Loin was a little too "rare". We were told it was the only way they prepare it, so I was a little disappointed at having to eat a steak that displeased me. My husband's Alaskan Black Cod was SUPERB! Prices are a little high... but there's a price for the ambiance/views. Dessert menu doesn't offer much of a selection, and the waiter HIGHLY suggested the Banana Split. It was ok.. but nothing to rave about. Go for the views, the exclusive service, and order the fresh fish in their menu.Special Features:
- Pricey but the view is worth it!GustarsalieracenarDined on 10/18/2014My wife and I spent $160 with out Alcohol, the sunset was fantastic. The food was great. This was our first time at the Crow's Nest - every time over the last few years we've tried to eat there impromptu the restaurant is either full or had a very long wait.Special Features:
- Overall experienceReallyDined on 10/16/2014Fisrt, we wanted a nice bottle of german wine. We told our waiter what we were looking for. Very dry reisling. The bottle he selected was not dry. Second, I ordered the $58 melt in yor mouth New York strip. It was everything but melt in your mouth. The only thing that saved it was it was a good cut of meat and the garnishments. Last, our waiter had no situational awareness. It was our 10 yr anniversary. I gave a gift to open. While she was opening the gift i was recording with my phone. I wanted to catch that special moment but instead our waiter walks up and starts talking to us. ??? I had to stop recording and it killed the moment. Very last thing... If you are dinning in, DO NOT sit at the table next to the steps. Picture time!!Special Features:
- Crow's Nest - AnchorageAKcoupleDined on 10/13/2014The Crow's Nest at the Captain Cook Hotel long ago established a certain standard of quality for fine dining in Anchorage, AK and has maintained it ever since. For a special occasion dining experience, the Crow's Nest is one of our first choices and it has never disappointed us. Food quality, preparation and service has always been top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor food high priceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/29/2014The service was great the food was terrible. When I pay $44 for a steak I don't expect half of it to be fat and tough. Terrible overpriced food. Go to Club Paris if you want a great steak.Special Features:
- Great Locationluv2dineaswellDined on 9/29/2014Wonderful ambiance. Great presentation. Portions small. A little pricey wine list. Would like to see more selections for steaks. Paella could have had more seafood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RobertRobertDined on 9/27/2014Extensive modern menu . Interesting combinations of flavours. Low salt and appropriate sized portions for European palate. Vegetarian/ meat light options poor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- neptune5Dined on 9/24/2014Waited one hour and fifteen minutes with bread only to show for it. Waitress was overwhelmed and not polite who we saw once. Overpriced for everything. Half pound of king crabs for $68.00 with little meat which did not pass for an appetizer. $72.00 to share a seafood dish not worth $10.00. I've never written a review before but this was the worst $200.00 plus bill we've ever had. We still left the assistant waitress a $35.00 tip as he was nice but lost!
- Great service and yummmmmWahooDined on 9/23/2014Jenny and Tom and their support team were excellent! So knowledgable and intuitive. The good was superb . Oysters with melon and what was the green pickled bit? Black cod and oxtail and gnocchi .....I ate every bit . The elk!!!!! Wow . We even had dessert.....and the view/corner table was remarkable as the night went on . We may have overstayed our welcome but will be back!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LoriOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/22/2014My husband and I were celebrating our 40th anniversary it was never acknowledged the hostess was very rude to us we won't be celebrating at your restaurant again
- Business DinnerMKS1Dined on 9/19/2014Overlooking the city, the dinner was as expected. The meals were prepared as ordered and the wine complemented the dishes. A very nice atmosphere to enjoy the evening with business colleagues. The service was excellent.Special Features:
- Excellent foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/18/2014The food was great and the service was immaculate!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great view with wonderful serviceRitzDiningguruDined on 9/15/2014A perfect place to fine in Alaska. Feel free to order multiple courses as they are sized for a 3-4 course meal. Food was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food + service + view = winDmitryBVIPDined on 9/15/2014Great food, excellent service and you can't beat the view of the mountains from the tallest building in Anchorage! No tasting menu, but our waitress helped us create one with the bunch of appetizers and shared entrees. Overall, a perfect dining choice to top up your Alaskan vacation.Special Features:
- Web reservations, AMAZING ALL AROUNOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014I may have missed it on your website but I did not see any place to check inlet view or anchorage view. I surprised my wife and came home early from the slope to treat her to a special dinner with a view. I made the reservations well in advance (3weeks). Upon arrival we were seated on the anchorage side. I had envisioned sitting on the inlet side as my wife is new to alaska and wanted her to see the beauty of the inlet. I was immediately upset so I asked the hostess if we may be able to switch sides. She informed me that the other side was full. So when our waiter showed up I explained him the situation and the plans I had for our first anniversary. He pulled some strings and got a table cleared and we were moved to the other side. PERFECTSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Last night in the White Frontier1timecruizerDined on 9/11/2014The wine and dinner selection were excellent including presentation. The king crab was the final special dining choice for our Alaska tour and well worth the wait!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Breathtaking view Excellent CuisineLitiVIPDined on 9/10/2014We dined at the Crow's Nest at the top of the Captain Cook Hotel in Anchorage after returning from a cruise and time in Denali. After the ho hum cruise food and rustic atmosphere of the Denali, we were enveloped in a comfortable exquisite experience. The service was outstanding as was the food and beverage offerings. At some point, I think we forgot we were in Alaska except for all the superb fresh seafood offerings. This is a must visit, if you are in Anchorage.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Staff4a1stClassViewDined on 9/1/2014Very, very friendly service from all staff; from the moment we walked in the hotel, to the greetings when we arrived at the Crow's Nest!Special Features:
- Best Fine DiningSnowcapDined on 8/30/2014The food is outstanding and service to match. Window views of Cook Inlet or mountains. You can park in their covered parking lot and they pick up the tab. Enjoy !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent dinnerWeavDined on 8/25/2014View, food and service was great. Enjoy the crows nest every time we go would recommend it for a romantic evening. Thanks to all the staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovely anniversary dinnerdiningduoDined on 8/23/2014An evening to enjoy a memorable anniversary dinner was anticipated and we were very pleased with our celebration. The service from the reception, seating, ordering and wine selection was superb. The wine offering was note worthy and the sommelier very attentive to our selection. The prime rib eyes were prepared perfectly for each of us and divine!! Five star dining!Special Features:
- Our placeRegularDined on 8/21/2014We enjoy the quality facility, service and food at the Crow's Nest. It supports the message that I truly care about the person I take to dinner at this facility.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceNorthernLadyDined on 8/18/2014I went to the Crow's nest for a celebration dinner with my sister, and we had a fantastic time. Both the serivce and the food were excellent. I look forward to dining there agin in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great first experienceHydra2Dined on 8/16/2014I had a great first time the food was amazing the view was perfect and to top it off the waiter was kind knowledgable of the food and answered my questions with confidence. I will defiantly go again and probably ask for the same waiter every time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/16/2014Too expensive and not a large enough menu to choose from. Too much on the French side. Too stuffy of an atmosphere...including waiters and reception people...wished we had not wasted our money there.
- Go-to for special occasionsakdineDined on 8/15/2014As always, the Crow's nest does not disappoint! We went there for my husband's retirement and our guests enjoyed the view while we enjoyed wonderful martinis, wine, and cuisine.Special Features:
- amazing2geosDined on 8/14/2014Amazing....oysters with salted melon sorbet & cilantro, crispy - skinned silver salmon on zucchini latke with roasted butternut coulis, great sourdough & olive warm bread, shared poached pear with gorgonzola old ice cream & panacotti with cayenne bicotti for dessert. Genuinely friendly, unobtrusive service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful views, fine cuisineSeachelDined on 8/14/2014Crow's Nest restaurant sits at the top of one of the Captain Cook's hotel towers. The service is charming, the cuisine excellent (and I am french). Our silver salmon was perfectly cooked and the blueberry sauce a very good idea. The dessert (white expresso panna cotta) was very refined and really delicious. To top it all, the views on the mountains, the city and the sea (Cook inlet) are incredible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great restaurantfundiningDined on 8/11/2014had a super meal and service by tom was th ebest!! he knew his food and Alaska!! may the meal which was super even more enjoyable!! his suggestions you should go for!!!Special Features:
- Always amazingElfyDined on 8/9/2014Took mom there for her 62nd birthday, and it was all perfect. They even wrote happy birthday in chocolate on her banana split.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.