Crow's Nest - Hotel Captain Cook
939 West 5th Ave
Anchorage, AK 99501Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Crow's Nest - Hotel Captain Cook
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.captaincook.com/dining/crows-nest
- Phone: 9073432217
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, French
- Executive Chef: Chef De' Cuisine Reuben Gerber
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The Crow's Nest offers two semi-private rooms that can hold up to 14 and 18. One completely private room that can hold up to 10.
A word from Crow's Nest - Hotel Captain Cook
Innovative French and New American cuisine, paired with an outstanding selection of over 10,000 bottles of wine. 360 degree views of downtown Anchorage, Chugach Mountain Range and Cook Inlet. Experience Alaska’s finest, at the Hotel Captain Cook.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Crow's Nest - Hotel Captain Cook - Best Restaurants in Anchorage ›
Crow's Nest - Hotel Captain Cook reviews from OpenTable diners
100 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (88)special occasion (84)romantic (72)notable wine list (60)fit for foodies (35)good for groups (11)hot spot (9)vibrant bar scene (9)neighborhood gem (9)late-night find (7)great for lunch (3)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Best Fine DiningSnowcapDined on 8/30/2014The food is outstanding and service to match. Window views of Cook Inlet or mountains. You can park in their covered parking lot and they pick up the tab. Enjoy !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent dinnerWeavDined on 8/25/2014View, food and service was great. Enjoy the crows nest every time we go would recommend it for a romantic evening. Thanks to all the staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovely anniversary dinnerdiningduoDined on 8/23/2014An evening to enjoy a memorable anniversary dinner was anticipated and we were very pleased with our celebration. The service from the reception, seating, ordering and wine selection was superb. The wine offering was note worthy and the sommelier very attentive to our selection. The prime rib eyes were prepared perfectly for each of us and divine!! Five star dining!Special Features:
- Our placeRegularDined on 8/21/2014We enjoy the quality facility, service and food at the Crow's Nest. It supports the message that I truly care about the person I take to dinner at this facility.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great first experienceHydra2Dined on 8/16/2014I had a great first time the food was amazing the view was perfect and to top it off the waiter was kind knowledgable of the food and answered my questions with confidence. I will defiantly go again and probably ask for the same waiter every time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/16/2014Too expensive and not a large enough menu to choose from. Too much on the French side. Too stuffy of an atmosphere...including waiters and reception people...wished we had not wasted our money there.
- Go-to for special occasionsakdineDined on 8/15/2014As always, the Crow's nest does not disappoint! We went there for my husband's retirement and our guests enjoyed the view while we enjoyed wonderful martinis, wine, and cuisine.Special Features:
- amazing2geosDined on 8/14/2014Amazing....oysters with salted melon sorbet & cilantro, crispy - skinned silver salmon on zucchini latke with roasted butternut coulis, great sourdough & olive warm bread, shared poached pear with gorgonzola old ice cream & panacotti with cayenne bicotti for dessert. Genuinely friendly, unobtrusive service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful views, fine cuisineSeachelDined on 8/14/2014Crow's Nest restaurant sits at the top of one of the Captain Cook's hotel towers. The service is charming, the cuisine excellent (and I am french). Our silver salmon was perfectly cooked and the blueberry sauce a very good idea. The dessert (white expresso panna cotta) was very refined and really delicious. To top it all, the views on the mountains, the city and the sea (Cook inlet) are incredible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great restaurantfundiningDined on 8/11/2014had a super meal and service by tom was th ebest!! he knew his food and Alaska!! may the meal which was super even more enjoyable!! his suggestions you should go for!!!Special Features:
- Always amazingElfyDined on 8/9/2014Took mom there for her 62nd birthday, and it was all perfect. They even wrote happy birthday in chocolate on her banana split.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing foodSprityblueangel02Dined on 8/7/2014It was our anniversary and they add us a wonderful dessert plate. We also got an amazing banana dessert. The food was to die for and the server was very informative.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A must for visiting AnchorageDrRyanDined on 7/29/2014The scenery, ambiance, foods, drinks and pleasant personnel is the bestSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceNolando14Dined on 7/26/2014Dinner with my wife during our honeymoon was a great experience. While the wine, food and service were excellent- the real star is the sunset view of the mountains to the north.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steve & LouiseSMG1Dined on 7/22/2014Food is excellent and so is the service. However, even for Alaska, the food is expensive. After eating here, we ate at several other superb restaurants that were such less expensive, but with no view. So we guess that's it.Special Features:
- Miserably slowLoving8comasDined on 7/11/2014Miserably slow, the blonde waitress was busy trying to chit chat the next table THe food FOREVER AND EVER AND EVER the oysters were foul, the tab was HIGH Do not go here for dinner only for a drink!Special Features:
- Wonderful Experience!LisaAgnewDined on 7/7/2014We had family in town and ended up bringing our two sons, ages 7 and 2. Our servers were absolutely wonderful. For a restaurant that is typically not child friendly, they were able to accomodate our requests. The food is exceptional! Be warned that this is not a place to eat on the budget; nevertheless, every bit of the bill was well worth the service, food and experience! Will recommend to anyone who is looking for a real treat in Anchorage! I will continue coming here in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok Food, Poor Service for the CostapexMSDined on 7/7/2014For the price, the food isn't good enough to stand on it's own with poor service. At a fine dining establishment I don't expect the waitress and her assistant to forget to bring us menus, forget a drink that I ordered at the bar (until I had to remind her), etc. Food wasn't bad, just not to the standard where you're willing to put up with mediocre service.Special Features:
- Always a great dining experience.NdiggityDined on 7/5/2014Nice atmosphere with spectacular views. The food and service are always superb. The maître'd and wait staff are very personable and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid all aroundDavidDined on 7/3/2014Good and elegant food with an excellent view. A little pricey for what comes though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dissappointed anniversaryjasonDined on 7/3/2014My wife and I had our anniversary dinner with you, and it was probably the 5th time we have eaten there, but not for about 9 months. The food was dry and the vegetables on my dish were not fresh. My wife is a vegetarian, and in the past I have called ahead, and the chef was glad to make something special for her. On this occasion, the waitress insisted that there was nothing that she or the restaurant could do, it wasn't until I contacted the restaurant management that something was done. It seems as though the waitress took it personally though, because she was quite rude to us after that, and spoke very condescending to my wife. I can say with all certainty that it was probably the last time we will dine at the crows nest. th JasonSpecial Features:
- The best in Alaskafkaaa79Dined on 7/1/2014Great resturant .. And I am glad to have our first server 7 years ago and he is still there ! (Erin.. He is the best )..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing on this OccasionChrisfromAnchorageDined on 6/28/2014I had orzo paella, in which the scallops were superb but all subtle flavors were overwhelmed by the massive amount of lemon the waiter squeezed on at tableside (without being asked). Appetizers were good, but tended to be served with too small a supply of the accoutrements, so you'd quickly be left with marrow without the shallot jam, or cheese w/o anything to go with it. The beef/elk entrees ordered by others were fine, but you will certainly need to order some a la carte vegetable sides to avoid a one-note meal. Waiter was not attentive to water, bread, etc., and not too good about informing us of potential ordering errors (such as ordering a marrow appetizer when the same marrow preparation was going to come with some entrees).Special Features:
- Will the mighty fall?TomMcGrathVIPDined on 6/28/2014We have been dining at the Crow's Nest for 30 years and consistently have very good service and food. This was a special occasion that kind of fell flat because the server seemed to not have his head in the game. Our server was not very attentive. We asked for an appetizer that we had had before that was not on the menu and was told the chef did not allow special requests. New chef or new waiter? Our table was next to one of the corner rooms and the party there was arriving as we were. It was a party of 12 young women and maybe that was the waiters issue. It is a first that other diners became part of our concern. We will not let one bad experience change our dining habits.Special Features:
- Hidden Gem and a Great RetreatFoodieFanAKDined on 6/28/2014Logan was our sever and he was fabulous! The food was wonderful and very inventive. It was thoroughly impressive. There was a problem with the final part of our meal. There was a snafu with our dessert, it took an extremely long time due to a wedding? He kitchen delayed our one dessert and we were left to wait. However our server apologized and remedied the situation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special AnniversarySteveDined on 6/26/2014This was a wonderful start to our Alaska Anniversary trip.Special Features:
- loved it!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/24/2014Loved It! nice staff beautiful views overall 5 stars out of five. The desert was good and I had crab cant go wrong with AK king crab!Special Features:
- Excellent Dining locationromanticinterludeDined on 6/21/2014Absolutely excellent food, service and ambiance. If we lived closer we would return regularly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A long time favoritefrqttrvlr09Dined on 6/21/2014In the past decade, the Crow's Nest has become my favorite destination for dependably excellent food, service, atmosphere and view, even in winter. I like that the chef tries new trends, like including bone marrow on the menu, and delicious variations on, for example, risotto. The osso bucco is outstanding, but there are so many excellent main courses it is hard to choose. Sometimes, I just have a couple of starters and a salad. The greens are delicious and fresh. I have gone with friends on special occasions (birthdays, graduations) and the long time outstanding pastry chef has baked a small, deliious cakeSpecial Features:
- Not accessibleguitarmodyDined on 6/20/2014The service was great, the view great, but the food needed more explanation. For instance; the Cezar salad was too heavy on the anchovy; not typical. It would have been nice to know, because it was not edible unless you like a very fishy flavored salad. The king grab was average, and had nothing else on the plate... nothing.... nothing. It would have been nice know, so that we could have ordered appropriately. The elk was incredibly gamey, despite the description of the glaze that was supposed to have been on it. There was glaze, very little on the plate, not enough for the portion however. Also, 3 pin sized drops of horse radish are not enough for the average consumer ordering elk. The banana split... incredible!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/19/2014Always amazing. A guaranteed great meal and a good time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/18/2014By far, the Crowe's Nest is the finest restaurant in Anchorage. It has a diverse menu to suit everyone´s taste and the ambiance you expect to find in a top establishment. The staff is welcoming and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Late DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/17/2014We were seated promptly at 8:45 PM. Service would have been 5-star, except for how long it took for each course to be brought to the table. The sommelier was very knowledgable and helpful, as was the waiter. The problem was delay in the kitchen: by the time we were waiting for our main course, it was 10PM and the restaurant was 2/3 empty, so unless kitchen staff had gone home, leaving a skeleton crew, there was no acceptable excuse.Special Features:
- Has gone downhillCanyakVIPDined on 6/16/2014We hadn't been to Crow's Nest in a few years and we were very disappointed. They previously had some of the best service in town, but on our recent visit it was some of the worst. It was over 20 minutes sitting at our table before we even got bread. They used to have a dress code, but now it was people eating in faded jeans and polo shirts. The servers paid no attention to detail. Everyone, with the exception of the som, seemed to just be going through the motions of their job and didn't seem to care about your dinner experience or the fact that this might be a special occasion for you. Most of the food was good (elk loin was outstanding), but the rest of the experience was not fine dining. I hope they can get it together again.Special Features:
- One Of the Best In AnchorageKantishnaakDined on 6/14/2014Open Table made the reservations easy. I would suggest asking for an Ocean/Inlet view rather than the city/hotel view. The servers were spectacular and had great attention to detail. The menu was seasonal appropriate with fresh Alaskan offerings. The wine steward was knowledgeable and offered a great paring for the entire table. The food was perfectly timed and the temperature perfect. Our table had a split of red met and fish, all were very good and cooked perfectly. Dessert was the perfect ending. I could not more highly recommend the "banana split". Just a side note, we have eaten here on a few (less than 10) occasions generally with visitors. We have always been able to count on its consistency.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional food and viewsFilmMaryDined on 6/11/2014We loved our food and service and we live here- proud to take our guests. A bit pricey so that will prohibit frequent visits so it will be only special occasions for us.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/11/2014The staff , food, and view at the Crow's Nest always delivers a perfect dining experience! My guests from Singapore were truly impressed. Thank you so much!Special Features:
- the service was amazingJMCOOMES14Dined on 6/10/2014By far my best anchorage dining experience yet! We try a different eatery every week, this has by far been the best over all experience we have had! Highly recommend this place to anyone looking for great food and excellent service, it puts others to shame!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingRoyceVIPDined on 6/9/2014Not up to your normal standards. Slow service and so so food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine dining for AnchorageDigginLifeDined on 6/6/2014The Crow's Nest always impresses. The waitstaff is highly skilled and extremely professional. The food is presented beautifully and is very delicious. There is a nice selection of local seafood.Special Features: