24 East 81st Street
New York, NY 10075Neighborhood:
Upper East Side
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.crown81.com/
- Phone: (646) 559-4880
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
Sunday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm
Sunday Brunch: 11:30am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: John DeLucie
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from Crown
John DeLucie is the Chef Proprietor of Crown, Bill's Food & Drink, and The Lion restaurants in New York City. DeLucie opened Crown in a 1930's mansion steps away from The Metropolitan Museum of Art on the Upper East Side. Bill's Food & Drink opened in November 2012 in Manhattan’s Midtown, and features hearty American cuisine. The Lion opened in May 2010 and is located in the West Village – it features a menu consistent with the Chef himself; classic American with undeniable Italian influences.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Crown reviews from OpenTable diners
38 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
romantic (18)special occasion (12)fit for foodies (11)neighborhood gem (9)notable wine list (7)good for groups (6)vibrant bar scene (5)hot spot (5)late-night find (4)scenic view (3)Show More
- MeredithVIPDined on 11/19/2014The service was a bit slow but the food made up for it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good-looking roomOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/15/2014...but the food was quite mediocre. our party had the duck, the roast chicken, and the veal chop, none of it was terrible -- it just wasn't very good. first courses and desserts inspired similar evaluations. crown should be better.
- Just okOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/13/2014The server was good this time, but the waits were still unreasonably long, especially with the restaurant not even full. We had this problem last time, but I thought it was a one off. Also, this time the polenta fries (which were divine last time), seemed like they may have been re-fried or frozen or something because they were harder and stiffer. We think the sommelier came over and asked if we needed help with the wines, but when we said we were ordering by the glass he just pointed to the menu and walked away. A bit odd. Overall I am finding the experience here is going down hill, but will give it another try.Special Features:
- Very poor serviceLoved1VIPDined on 11/10/2014I love this restaurant for it's ambiance and aesthetic but was very disappointed by my last experience.Special Features:
- This Emperor Should Loose His CrowntimotVIPDined on 11/1/2014First, a warm glass of champagne from a bartender that looked and spoke like an inarticulate 13 year old. Next, soup that was absolutely lacking in any taste. Actually, it tasted like it was out of a can, though I know it was not. And the staff was like a bad movie of untrained kids making believe they were waiters and busboys. Soup that was absolutely lacking in any taste. Actually, it tasted like it was out of a can, though I know it was not. Then a tiny entree of 4 overcooked and tasteless scallops, followed by a completely incorrect bill. The building and rooms are lovely but how does this restaurant remain open?
- The service was poorOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/28/2014Service was dire; at all tables. Food was excellent but slow to the table. For this brand and pricing, I would not recommend to others.
- Just ate thereOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/28/2014Used to be one of my favorite spots. Just went the other night for the first time in 6 mos. and although the space is absolutely beautiful, there seems to have been a complete change in staff to a much lower level. It just doesn't carry the supper special feel it once did. Food was fine but not what it used to be either. maybe 1/4 -1/3 full. Disappointing mostly because it used to be fantastic for the right occasion. Sad to see.Special Features:
- DisappointedPerfectionVIPDined on 10/27/2014Empty dining roo, yet still tried to give us worst seat in the restaurant next to stir way curtains, where wait staff and patrons are moving back and forth. Literally NO beer except Amstel light, the waitress was clueless and barely spoke English.Special Features:
- Absolutely awful.debbiekahnVIPDined on 10/25/2014From the entry with a distracted and disorganized hostess to the horrible, unknowledgable service to the overcooked chicken, and disjointed wine list this place was a disaster. This was my first and last trip to Crown. It's really too bad because there is not a big variety of upscale eateries in the east eighties. I had hopeful expectations and enjoyed the appetizer but dinner came almost an hour later. We were told about a truffle appetizer but the table next to us asked and the server had no idea about specials. That pretty much sums up the total experience. Bummer!!
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/18/2014terrible service, great food. dining room is very nice- but has hard surfaces, and is very loud-- if that bothers you, avoid it at crowded timesSpecial Features:
- as good as first timeOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/7/2014enjoyed the seasonal menu, good service, well-cooked food. will return in spring for clams w linguini.Special Features:
- MarkVIPDined on 10/3/2014Great music and a great collection of original prints. Different ambience between the lighter back room and the darker middle room. Service was friendly and efficient. Good bar with interesting and well made drinks at fair price points. Nice updated men's club décor and flattering lighting. Definitely worth multiple visits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NYCDinerVIPDined on 9/27/2014The space was lovely and the food was decent. The service was horrific. It took over an hour to get our appetizers. Then they forgot one of them and clearly didn't even remember what it was in the first place. (They asked three times to be reminded of what it it was.) It took another 45 minutes to get the entrees, and they forgot the entree of the same person whose appetizer they had forgotten previously. Apologies were not genuine, and they gave us free dessert and champagne. That was nice, but I would have preferred they just take something off the bill. By the time the dessert and champagne got there, all we wanted to do was go home.
- bad all around aside from roomTerribleDined on 9/24/2014This was literally the worst experience I have had in a long time. The restaurant is beautiful. Thats it. Today, the food was really BAD the service was horrific, non existent and the place was half empty!Special Features:
- ddddDined on 9/13/2014Very nice, but the evening lacked charm. Nothing specific although did have the feeling that we were being rushed a bit and the restaurant was not full.Special Features:
- Very promisingRNWIVIPDined on 9/13/2014Lovely setting in a town house on East 81st. Comfortable setting and space between tables. Excellent food; wine list [chardonnays at least] a little top heavy on price. Service not up to its potential; waiter lacked polish; missed one aspect of the order; part of dessert failed to arrive. Crown has the potential to be a super-star upper Eastside spot. I sincerely hope it is successful.Special Features:
- The following 317 reviews are from the Crown reviews archive.
- Great food; lousy service.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/25/2014Crown is a lovely townhouse restaurant with two beautiful dining rooms and a long chic bar. The food is very good, and although a tad bit pricey, the price seems about par for the neighborhood. The only sour note is the service. There are few waiters, and then lots of runners. You almost never see the waiter, so if he doesn't execute well or timely, it's hard to find someone to correct the mistake. He took our drink and food orders, but then failed to tell the bartender to make a drink that we ordered and we couldn't find someone to complain to until our starters were on the table, at which point we no longer wanted a cocktail. A few more things like this happened. If they spruce up the service, I'd eat there most every night.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful, gorgeous, sublimeyoyobuzzcakesVIPDined on 6/21/2014I had an early dinner here on Saturday solo and was instantly put at ease by the warm, professional, perfect welcome of the hostess. The wine list was excellent, the menu was a difficult choice but I got exactly what I came for - spaghetti alle vongole and a crisp, dry Sancerre (or 2!). The service was professional and efficient but also warm (not stuffy!). The music exemplified the tasteful, exquisite and ever so slightly libertine character of Crown through and through. The most sublime French rap that unless you listened carefully wouldn't have noticed, just enjoyed the subtle melodic rhythm. Truly worth every penny. Even the olive oil was top class. Gold star, Crown.Special Features:
- jreatsVIPDined on 6/8/2014First time at their Jazz Brunch. The A/C was down on a very hot day. Even though we were one of only three tables there, the service was very spotty. The food was typically good and the room never disappoints. Pricey, but if you're drinking Bellinis or Bloody Marys, brunch is a better deal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/4/2014We have gone to Crown over the years and the food has progressively gotten worse. I had to send my dinner back the last time we went, which was last week. Our friends, who we sent to Crown, said that they would not be back. Long on ambiance and short on attention in the kitchen.
- Romantic dinner for twomasmith2014Dined on 5/23/2014My wife and I enjoyed an anniversary dinner for two, as this sister restaurant to the West Village's Lion. The space is beautifully designed, with a narrow bar leading into two, larger seating areas. The latter, with a wonderful glass roof that's perfect for watching a summer thunderstorm crash down upon as my wife and I did. I recommend arriving a little early, so you can sit at the bar and enjoy some unique cocktails from a very knowledgeable and amiable bartender. The food itself is excellent, if a little on the pricey side, though the hand-made pastas are truly a different class and well worth trying. Service was attentive, without being intrusive, though the ambiance was a little on the quiet side. We'll be back - for food and drinks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Cool AmbienceWhinoDined on 5/16/2014Really love the ambience - back corner tables are great, Wonderful glass atrium on rainy night lends a lot! Wine list somewhat limited (lots of high end French, but little else that interests) and "featured Magnum champage glass pour" not available. (They suggested a half bottle instead). Service was uninspired, but they made up for it by sending out a dessert thoughtfully. Overall a great upper Eastside elegant dining spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lost itzak67VIPDined on 5/15/2014Sad, liked this place very much, only good thing left is bar, service was very very bad! Would not got backSpecial Features:
- Great experienceTrustedreviewerVIPDined on 5/15/2014Service, food and ambience were terrific! Definitely on my "A list"!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Busy sommelierOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/13/2014Unfortunately, the night i've been there the female sommelier was kind of busy. She apologized twice for her mistakes... but the third one she didn't reconized: the wrong wine was served. Unfortunately, as it is a very dark ambiance and the label was wet and i could not realize till i saw the price at the check.... The manager came to the table to tell there was nothing they could do. Not very nice!!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 5/11/2014Second time there and would never go back. Food very mediocre, very small portions and poor service.
- What a shameMATT1Dined on 5/11/2014Great food and ambience were overshadowed by pretty consistently rough service. Mother's Day was knocked down a couple of notches because it was impossible to ignore our server's garbled speech and inattentive service. One of my guest had to go to the bar multiple times after unfulfilled requests for silverware, milk and ice. I'm hoping this was just bad luck + new servers tend to work on Sundays and Mondays, but is that an excuse?Special Features:
- Such a disappointmentstracquadanio1Dined on 5/11/2014My daughter and I were there for Mother's Day . The room is beautiful ,location is great .The table we were given was perfect . The food is fine. However the service was just awful. No attention whatsoever , had to ask for everything at least twice . When I complained to the manager his answer was that because they were busy the staff was "nervous" This has to be the lamest excuse I have ever heard . We had been looking forward to going there and will probably never go back . A restaurant of that class should change their staff is they get "nervous "on a busy day !Special Features:
- Skip the brunch - terrible serviceNYCDinerVIPDined on 5/11/2014Dined Mother's day. Enjoyed before & jazz brunch looked great. Incl alcohol, we asked if kid's menu as many kids there. Didn't have one but chef made son eggs @ a la carte price which was ONLY good service during 2 1/2 hrs. Overall service awful, 10 min to get water, 10 more for drinks. Drink service slow, maybe to avoid folks drinking. Good food,3 hours too long. Complained to maitre d who said was usually downtown & weren't able to keep up with bookings. Told him a good # of wait staff but didn't have a clue as to who they were waiting on. Waiter gave bill after we flagged him, said sorry for waits & would take care of us next time. Woman @ next table said waiter told her same. No idea what that means. For $200+ brunch, poor response.
- Big DisappointmentmelcavDined on 5/11/2014Highly disappointed! The hostesses were not accommodating, the waiter was rude, and my mom's meal came out with RAW eggs floating in it! There was live "music" playing, which was very loud and really more like noise than music. We immediately asked to move to a different table, but were told the only other one that would accomodate our party was reserved. We were there for about 2 hours, and no one else sat there. Additionally, we asked for a booster seat and were told they didn't have any - on our way out we saw one sitting unused at an empty table. The food that was cooked was decent, but certainly nothing special. The building itself has great character, but it went mostly unnoticed due to all the other issues we encountered.
- Good for a birthdayKipperDined on 5/10/2014I had booked Cown for my father's 85th birthday. ON my booking I stated that I would like this event noted but not made a fuss of, which was exactly what I got. service was excellent and quick without being obtrusive, staff were happy to help whenever required and provided advice when asked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not so goodEaternycVIPDined on 5/4/2014We went for Sunday brunch; the restaurant was empty except for a few tables in the back room. There was a jazz trio whose music was too loud for the space. The food was just okay -- I had a nicely prepared roasted salmon but it had virtually no flavor; my friend had a "pretty good" hamburger. The fries were okay, but battered, which you would expect to see in a chain restaurant. The most striking thing about the place was how deeply in disrepair it was. Nearly every chair had huge chips of paints missing from its back; the paneling on the walls and along the windows in the back room was scuffed or discolored. The place had the look of a nightclub that should never see the light of day. I won't return, and wouldn't recommend it to others.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 5/2/2014Congrats to crown on their new chef, his menu updates and preparation of our dinner was delicious. Have the pistachio tart.....wow! Team always so attentive, and room one of the best in NYSpecial Features:
- eatereaterDined on 4/26/2014Food was bad. period. feel like manager was genuinely trying/ some of staff was trying.
- LovelyPalatePleaserDined on 4/26/2014From the ambiance to the exquisite food to the exceptional service, this restaurant is top notch. The staff is very friendly and attentive to detail. I would highly recommend this restaurant, especially when looking to celebrate a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LovelyJustFolksVIPDined on 4/21/2014A lovely restaurant with excellent service. The food is very good, though not yet quite distinctive enough to be outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Crown Jewel of the NeighborhoodLillVIPDined on 4/17/2014Fresh, consistently well executed dishes with a modern plating. The wine list/pricing is a bit out of sync with the menu. Otherwise Crown is the jewel of the neighborhood.Special Features:
- Confused and expensiveOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/13/2014Expected higher prices due to location in the museum mile. But bill was $80 each for an appetizer, pasta and a glass of wine (certainly didn't expect to pay $20 for a glass of chardonnay). Food is very good, but the overall experience was not -- ended up being rushed because of wait-staff confusion. Wasted 20 minutes trying to figure out the menu (originally given two different ones).The contents of the "Sunday Supper" varied based on which waiter provided the information (one included dessert, the other didn't). Waiter insisted that the "organic chicken" in the supper was breast although menu said "thigh milanese" - she insisted that the "thigh milanese" was the sauce. She also had to check whether the bolognese sauce included meat.
- Food is averageOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/12/2014The decor and setting at this restaurant is exquisite. Unfortunately the food doesn't match up to the price or the decor. The wine list I outrageously expensive and not all at extensive. Get a new chef !Special Features:
- Great service. Great rear view.HappyVIPDined on 4/12/2014Great service. Great rear view behind the buildings. Romantic and classy. Check out the private party room. This place is a secret upper east side find!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.