24 East 81st Street
New York, NY 10075Neighborhood:
Upper East Side
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.crown81.com/
- Phone: (646) 559-4880x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
Sunday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm
Sunday Brunch: 11:30am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: John DeLucie
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from Crown
John DeLucie is the Chef Proprietor of Crown, Bill's Food & Drink, and The Lion restaurants in New York City. DeLucie opened Crown in a 1930's mansion steps away from The Metropolitan Museum of Art on the Upper East Side. Bill's Food & Drink opened in November 2012 in Manhattan’s Midtown, and features hearty American cuisine. The Lion opened in May 2010 and is located in the West Village – it features a menu consistent with the Chef himself; classic American with undeniable Italian influences.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Crown reviews from OpenTable diners
27 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
romantic (12)special occasion (9)neighborhood gem (7)fit for foodies (6)great for brunch (4)scenic view (4)notable wine list (4)great for lunch (2)kid-friendly (1)late-night find (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Great food; lousy service.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/25/2014Crown is a lovely townhouse restaurant with two beautiful dining rooms and a long chic bar. The food is very good, and although a tad bit pricey, the price seems about par for the neighborhood. The only sour note is the service. There are few waiters, and then lots of runners. You almost never see the waiter, so if he doesn't execute well or timely, it's hard to find someone to correct the mistake. He took our drink and food orders, but then failed to tell the bartender to make a drink that we ordered and we couldn't find someone to complain to until our starters were on the table, at which point we no longer wanted a cocktail. A few more things like this happened. If they spruce up the service, I'd eat there most every night.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful, gorgeous, sublimeyoyobuzzcakesVIPDined on 6/21/2014I had an early dinner here on Saturday solo and was instantly put at ease by the warm, professional, perfect welcome of the hostess. The wine list was excellent, the menu was a difficult choice but I got exactly what I came for - spaghetti alle vongole and a crisp, dry Sancerre (or 2!). The service was professional and efficient but also warm (not stuffy!). The music exemplified the tasteful, exquisite and ever so slightly libertine character of Crown through and through. The most sublime French rap that unless you listened carefully wouldn't have noticed, just enjoyed the subtle melodic rhythm. Truly worth every penny. Even the olive oil was top class. Gold star, Crown.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/8/2014First time at their Jazz Brunch. The A/C was down on a very hot day. Even though we were one of only three tables there, the service was very spotty. The food was typically good and the room never disappoints. Pricey, but if you're drinking Bellinis or Bloody Marys, brunch is a better deal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/4/2014We have gone to Crown over the years and the food has progressively gotten worse. I had to send my dinner back the last time we went, which was last week. Our friends, who we sent to Crown, said that they would not be back. Long on ambiance and short on attention in the kitchen.
- Romantic dinner for twomasmith2014Dined on 5/23/2014My wife and I enjoyed an anniversary dinner for two, as this sister restaurant to the West Village's Lion. The space is beautifully designed, with a narrow bar leading into two, larger seating areas. The latter, with a wonderful glass roof that's perfect for watching a summer thunderstorm crash down upon as my wife and I did. I recommend arriving a little early, so you can sit at the bar and enjoy some unique cocktails from a very knowledgeable and amiable bartender. The food itself is excellent, if a little on the pricey side, though the hand-made pastas are truly a different class and well worth trying. Service was attentive, without being intrusive, though the ambiance was a little on the quiet side. We'll be back - for food and drinks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Cool AmbienceWhinoDined on 5/16/2014Really love the ambience - back corner tables are great, Wonderful glass atrium on rainy night lends a lot! Wine list somewhat limited (lots of high end French, but little else that interests) and "featured Magnum champage glass pour" not available. (They suggested a half bottle instead). Service was uninspired, but they made up for it by sending out a dessert thoughtfully. Overall a great upper Eastside elegant dining spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lost itzak67VIPDined on 5/15/2014Sad, liked this place very much, only good thing left is bar, service was very very bad! Would not got backSpecial Features:
- Great experienceTrustedreviewerVIPDined on 5/15/2014Service, food and ambience were terrific! Definitely on my "A list"!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Busy sommelierOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/13/2014Unfortunately, the night i've been there the female sommelier was kind of busy. She apologized twice for her mistakes... but the third one she didn't reconized: the wrong wine was served. Unfortunately, as it is a very dark ambiance and the label was wet and i could not realize till i saw the price at the check.... The manager came to the table to tell there was nothing they could do. Not very nice!!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 5/11/2014Second time there and would never go back. Food very mediocre, very small portions and poor service.
- What a shameMATT1Dined on 5/11/2014Great food and ambience were overshadowed by pretty consistently rough service. Mother's Day was knocked down a couple of notches because it was impossible to ignore our server's garbled speech and inattentive service. One of my guest had to go to the bar multiple times after unfulfilled requests for silverware, milk and ice. I'm hoping this was just bad luck + new servers tend to work on Sundays and Mondays, but is that an excuse?Special Features:
- Such a disappointmentstracquadanio1Dined on 5/11/2014My daughter and I were there for Mother's Day . The room is beautiful ,location is great .The table we were given was perfect . The food is fine. However the service was just awful. No attention whatsoever , had to ask for everything at least twice . When I complained to the manager his answer was that because they were busy the staff was "nervous" This has to be the lamest excuse I have ever heard . We had been looking forward to going there and will probably never go back . A restaurant of that class should change their staff is they get "nervous "on a busy day !Special Features:
- Skip the brunch - terrible serviceNYCDinerVIPDined on 5/11/2014Dined Mother's day. Enjoyed before & jazz brunch looked great. Incl alcohol, we asked if kid's menu as many kids there. Didn't have one but chef made son eggs @ a la carte price which was ONLY good service during 2 1/2 hrs. Overall service awful, 10 min to get water, 10 more for drinks. Drink service slow, maybe to avoid folks drinking. Good food,3 hours too long. Complained to maitre d who said was usually downtown & weren't able to keep up with bookings. Told him a good # of wait staff but didn't have a clue as to who they were waiting on. Waiter gave bill after we flagged him, said sorry for waits & would take care of us next time. Woman @ next table said waiter told her same. No idea what that means. For $200+ brunch, poor response.
- Big DisappointmentmelcavDined on 5/11/2014Highly disappointed! The hostesses were not accommodating, the waiter was rude, and my mom's meal came out with RAW eggs floating in it! There was live "music" playing, which was very loud and really more like noise than music. We immediately asked to move to a different table, but were told the only other one that would accomodate our party was reserved. We were there for about 2 hours, and no one else sat there. Additionally, we asked for a booster seat and were told they didn't have any - on our way out we saw one sitting unused at an empty table. The food that was cooked was decent, but certainly nothing special. The building itself has great character, but it went mostly unnoticed due to all the other issues we encountered.
- Good for a birthdayKipperDined on 5/10/2014I had booked Cown for my father's 85th birthday. ON my booking I stated that I would like this event noted but not made a fuss of, which was exactly what I got. service was excellent and quick without being obtrusive, staff were happy to help whenever required and provided advice when asked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not so goodEaternycVIPDined on 5/4/2014We went for Sunday brunch; the restaurant was empty except for a few tables in the back room. There was a jazz trio whose music was too loud for the space. The food was just okay -- I had a nicely prepared roasted salmon but it had virtually no flavor; my friend had a "pretty good" hamburger. The fries were okay, but battered, which you would expect to see in a chain restaurant. The most striking thing about the place was how deeply in disrepair it was. Nearly every chair had huge chips of paints missing from its back; the paneling on the walls and along the windows in the back room was scuffed or discolored. The place had the look of a nightclub that should never see the light of day. I won't return, and wouldn't recommend it to others.
- The following 301 reviews are from the Crown reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 5/2/2014Congrats to crown on their new chef, his menu updates and preparation of our dinner was delicious. Have the pistachio tart.....wow! Team always so attentive, and room one of the best in NYSpecial Features:
- eatereaterDined on 4/26/2014Food was bad. period. feel like manager was genuinely trying/ some of staff was trying.
- LovelyPalatePleaserDined on 4/26/2014From the ambiance to the exquisite food to the exceptional service, this restaurant is top notch. The staff is very friendly and attentive to detail. I would highly recommend this restaurant, especially when looking to celebrate a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LovelyJustFolksVIPDined on 4/21/2014A lovely restaurant with excellent service. The food is very good, though not yet quite distinctive enough to be outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Crown Jewel of the NeighborhoodLillDined on 4/17/2014Fresh, consistently well executed dishes with a modern plating. The wine list/pricing is a bit out of sync with the menu. Otherwise Crown is the jewel of the neighborhood.Special Features:
- Confused and expensiveOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/13/2014Expected higher prices due to location in the museum mile. But bill was $80 each for an appetizer, pasta and a glass of wine (certainly didn't expect to pay $20 for a glass of chardonnay). Food is very good, but the overall experience was not -- ended up being rushed because of wait-staff confusion. Wasted 20 minutes trying to figure out the menu (originally given two different ones).The contents of the "Sunday Supper" varied based on which waiter provided the information (one included dessert, the other didn't). Waiter insisted that the "organic chicken" in the supper was breast although menu said "thigh milanese" - she insisted that the "thigh milanese" was the sauce. She also had to check whether the bolognese sauce included meat.
- Food is averageOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/12/2014The decor and setting at this restaurant is exquisite. Unfortunately the food doesn't match up to the price or the decor. The wine list I outrageously expensive and not all at extensive. Get a new chef !Special Features:
- Great service. Great rear view.HappyVIPDined on 4/12/2014Great service. Great rear view behind the buildings. Romantic and classy. Check out the private party room. This place is a secret upper east side find!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I used to adore Crown. WhatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/11/2014I used to adore Crown. What on earh has happened? So disappointed. And empty for a Friday night. Such a shame. Ther service was terrible. Food just ok. Soufflés was not cooked right. Did not receive my full order and then had to cancel sides. Weighters not paying attention at all. Really bad. Fix it please.Special Features:
- Great findkbnyVIPDined on 4/9/2014Made reservation here only because it was close to an event I was taking a friend to for her birthday, knowing nothing about restaurant, and I was richly rewarded. What a surprisingly beautiful place with the back room covered by a high ceiling of glass, and windows making up the entire side wall. The service & food were excellent. I had a beet salad followed by grilled octopus, my friend the tuna tartare and seared scallops. We shared roared brussel sprouts with bacon. For dessert the chocolate soufflé came out with a candle for my friend, I had the honey lavender panna cotta with citrus which was amazing. I would love to go back, and plan to.Special Features:
- Very high prices. Food poorlyjoiseychowhoundVIPDined on 3/30/2014Very high prices. Food poorly executed and of dubiously fresh ingredients. Staff pleasant but largely clueless. Intrusive music provided by one of the least talented musicians in Manhattan. Very disappointing brunch.
- Exceeded my expectations!LaffDined on 3/28/2014Went to Crown with my wife for our anniversary. Early seating (6pm). Great place. Obviously not crowded at this hour, the staff was great from the moment we walked in. Loved the photography along the bar area and the drawings and paintings in the atrium style dining room were really interesting. loved this. The food was great. Fish and Pasta both from the "specials" menu were divine. A couple of glasses of wine and we were finished..or were we? i mentioned on my open table reservation that it was a special occasion and the restaurant did not disappoint. Choc souffle. Perfect. The value for what we spent was great. Would and WILL go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique find with great foodBellaDined on 3/23/2014The food was great, the service was great and the live music was wonderful - the harp player was such a unique treat! Unfortunately, the kitchen's exhaust was broken so the ambiance was ruined by the smoke. Other patrons were too chilly with the windows open so the smoke kept accumulating - the worst was the downstairs restroom area where I felt like I was in a cigar lounge. I will definitely try Crown again & I hope I can take my time instead or rushing to get out to get relief from the smoke.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great atmosphere but...GlobalFoodieDined on 3/14/2014...food somewhat mediocre for the price point. Oysters described as "very large, intense oysters" arrived and were in fact tiny and not the freshest I've had. Main course of scallops was a dish achievable at home. The cheese plate was quite a bit sub-par, with the "daily" selection that the waiter had no clue about arriving with three hard cheeses, omitting the blue that was promised and without any bread or crackers.Special Features:
- it has become one of our favorites:samanthaVIPDined on 3/10/2014it has become one of our favorites: expensive but worth it!!!!Special Features:
- JAZZ AND BRUNCHNETHCILDined on 3/9/2014Went for Sunday brunch and to see some jazz. Very impressed and would definitely returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great date-night!FoodieNYCCoupleVIPDined on 3/2/2014I went to Crown with my boyfriend for an early dinner and it was delicious! It was so beautiful inside and perfect for a quiet, date-night. The manager and staff were all very welcoming and recommended the red snapper which was wonderful. I rarely visit this part of the city but it made me want to go back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jazz Brunch at CrownKikiDined on 3/2/2014Ideal Sunday. You can see an exhibit at The Met and walk a block to Crown for a lively Jazz Brunch. Love the decor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- beautiful setting. mediocre foodOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/1/2014Example: $19.00 appetizer of braised baby artichokes? They were canned. Overwhelming vinegar taste. Pasta was overcooked. Desserts and pastries were fabulous, but too little to save the mediocrity. Great setting, service was prompt but too intrusive, interrupting conversation ...numerous empty tables on Saturday night. This was our fourth and final time since it opened.Special Features:
- High NeighborRioMarVIPDined on 3/1/2014Crown is very pretty. Woods, subdued sound, reasonable service. But, oh those prices! Scallops for $39.00? Appetizers for well over $20? And the wine list! so many bottles way over $500.00. We did find a few for under $100. But in this world of very reasonable $10-$25 wines, there were none to be found on this list. The food was good - not great. Certainly not worthy of the high priced entrees. And the side offerings - just as expensive. The only reason the 4 of us got out of there for about $70.00 per person was that we decided to go back to the apartment for dessert and coffee. Crown is not well marked. But that's okay. I'd strongly suggest people not try all that hard. There are better, much more reasonable places all around the citySpecial Features:
- Great restaurantTammsbbVIPDined on 2/16/2014It was a Sunday evening so it was pretty quiet. The drinks were perfect and the the servers very attentive. I had the beet salad and the scallop crudo. My sister had the ricotta gnudi, it was amazing. I would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfection!!!!DrBranchVIPDined on 2/7/2014My favorite restaurant in all of New York. That's says a lot, because I have dined at every five star restaurant in this city. There is no attitude, and you are greeted by name, and always made to feel welcome. The room is gracious, warm, inviting and casually elegant in a beautiful old brown stone on the upper east side. Scott Brown orchestrates the front of the house as if he were conducting a symphony. Nothing escapes him, and he does it all with warmth and precision. The service is impeccable but not intrusive. The presentation of food is beautiful. The chef never ceases to surprise us with his culinary expertise. They have a handkerchief pasta that you can only find here. Don't miss this jewel.Special Features:
- UES Gem!sungeekDined on 2/6/2014This is one of the best spots on the upper east side. I took my boss for drinks and dinner and it was exceptional. The staff were extremely friendly and offered many tasty selections which we chose. The cab (wine) from the bar was very good. It is collectively our new favorite spot (much more than just a restaurant).Special Features:
- Nice place, not amazing food!foodloverVIPDined on 2/2/2014Its a really nice place, but the brunch menu is disappointing….its very limited and nothing impressive