Crouching Tiger Restaurant
2644 Broadway Street
Redwood City, CA 94063Neighborhood:
ChinesePrice: $30 and under
Crouching Tiger Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.crouchingtigerrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6502988881
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday -Friday: 11:00AM - 3:00PM,
Saturday & Sunday: 11:30AM - 3:00PM.
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 3:00PM - 9:30 PM
Friday & Saturday: 3:00PM - 10:00PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Asian, Chinese
- Executive Chef: Si Ming Zhang
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Non-Smoking Area, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: check website www.crouchingtigerrestaurant/com for details Hot Line: (650)483-8881 or email: email@example.com
A word from Crouching Tiger Restaurant
The restaurant is located in downtown Redwood City, offering Authentic Sichuan, Hunan & Mandarin Cuisine. It was honored by Michelin with a Bib Gourmand, reserved for restaurants with high-quality food and good value. It was also reviewed by Mercury News for superior food and truly fine dining. It has received reward from Mayor's beautification recognition program.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Crouching Tiger Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
18 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (11)neighborhood gem (9)fit for foodies (8)kid-friendly (7)special occasion (3)great for lunch (3)romantic (3)notable wine list (1)vibrant bar scene (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- OptimusDinerVIPDined on 9/8/2014Both food and service were really great but we were unimpressed with the decor (though we had a booth and that was ok) so if you want good food then this is the place to go!
- Too BIG for Two ServersOnTOPofITVIPDined on 9/7/2014I almost walked out after being a regular here for five years! The restaurant was 50% occupied (which is more than I would normally encounter) and they had only two servers. They tried but it was chaotic for about an hour... I waited for 35 minutes to have them take my order.Special Features:
- Excellent food, but...PaloAltoDinerDined on 9/5/2014Since this restaurant was a Michelin Gourmand Bib recommendation, we had high expectations. Restaurant decor was a little odd. There were a mix of different design elements that didn't always go together. Behind the counters were a little crammed with stuff, so the place didn't feel very clean. My water glass had dried rice stuck on the outside, so that added to the perception that the place might not be so clean. Wait staff was reasonably responsive, but not always very attentive. Water glasses remained empty for quite some time. They didn't offer hot tea initially, just a generic, "What can I get you to drink?" The quality of the food, however, did not disappoint. The kitchen is clearly the star. Food was delicious. Sauces yummy.Special Features:
- TastyEatAtSamsDined on 8/31/2014Nicely decorated restaurant. Food was well-prepared and service was good. The tea-smoked duck was moist and extra meaty. Sautéed winter melon w dried shrimp was delicious. Never had winter melon except in soup, so that was a nice, original dish. Spring rolls were large and full of filling. The ma-po tofu was nicely done. The dry-cooked shredded lamb was good, similar in preparation to salt and pepper pork. All the dishes were nicely prepared, not greasy. What I really appreciated, the sauces were light and not overly-corn starched.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/21/2014Fantastic service and great food Great ambiance for group or intimate gathering Staff is super friendly and attentiveSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- quite goodFishloverDined on 6/29/2014The quality of the food was very good, and the recipes were tasty. The service was fine as well. The only change that would make the experience a better one would be if they did not charge you for little extras. For example, we ordered 2 orders of lettuce wraps, but ran out of lettuce; they charged us 50 cents for each additional piece of lettuce even though we bought over $150 worth of food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 96 reviews are from the Crouching Tiger Restaurant reviews archive.
- CarlVIPDined on 6/14/2014Came for lunch with friends. The Broccoli Beef was tender and delicious. Everyone absolutely loved the Xing Jiang Lamb.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2001Dined on 6/9/2014The added room and full bar is a nice. Food is very good but servers need training. No bar tender working on Monday night for dinner, server didn't know much about bar tending.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JoySFDined on 6/4/2014Had wanted to check this restaurant since it was on Bib Gourmand and had good reviews on Yelp. Went on a midweek evening. It was very quiet. Food was unremarkable and too spicy in general for children. Steam in Palo Alto where we dined the next day was far better.
- tigerTexasTeriVIPDined on 5/3/2014Good food, reasonably priced. the sedate beef is so yummy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gem in Redwood City.JonSDined on 4/27/2014For Chinese foodies, Crouching Tiger can not be beat. I have reviewed them before, and the one thing I can say is the food is always awesome. They have expanded, and it seems a bit confusing when you enter. There is a back entry door, and host stations on both sides of the restaurant. Work past that and get a table, it is worth it. Since it has become more popular, the larger space is great, they have less of a crowd and reduced noise on the original side. I have not been seated in the new area, maybe next time. The food is always flavorful and we are never disappointed. The dishes we enjoyed: Sesame chicken (sweet delight), Combination chow fun (noodles are always so tender), and Szechuan lamb (spicy - yummy). Enjoy!Special Features:
- Stand-up TigerOnTOPofITVIPDined on 4/22/2014Expanded & modernized a Mom & Pop store. You go there for the Food... Simple as THAT!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServicerosieDined on 3/31/2014Our family had a wonderful meal but poor service. The waitress was trying her very best but she had far too many tables to cover. She actually ran from one table to another. We never got one thing we ordered which we decided to just forget about, and the other dishes arrived in bits and pieces. It took a long time to get our bill. I'd still go back, but it would be so much better if they got more help.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bigger is NOT Better...OnTOPofITVIPDined on 3/28/2014Been going to Crouching Tiger for years and now they have taken over the storefront next door the growing pains are very noticeable. Food is still good however the servers have no idea how to handle the increased seating. I will return however I will select the off times to where there will hopefully be a minimum number of guests to occupy the small inexperienced staff! BTW: Don't order the sticky rice for dessert unless you expect to wait 45 minutes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice new expansion. ServiceShellDined on 3/1/2014Nice new expansion. Service was a bit confused. We sat for 10 minutes without menus.
- You will Not be Disappointed !SailorDined on 2/23/2014The CT is a huge breath of fresh air. The owners & staff care a great deal about pleasing their customers. We had included a request for a quiet corner table in our reservation. We were originally seated in a room with many hyper children. The staff noticed this and quickly moved us to another room and table without being asked, which was deeply appreciated. Our fussy eaters was very pleased with everything that we ordered. The pot stickers were perfect - cooked just right with lots of meaty filling. The beef chow mien had great body and flavor. The lemon chicken was too die for. The sweet and sour chicken was high quality. The portions were plentiful; we were more than happy for takeaway ! Full meals for 4 for less than $ 50 !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service and excellent menuOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/13/2014This restaurant showed up when I checked the Internet for"best Chinese restaurant in Redwood City". We were not disappointed. This was filled with locals by 7:00. This place is on Broadway, just 3/10 of a mile from downtown, where there are many restaurants. It seemed significant that they had people coming in and greeting the staff with comments that let you know they come often. We were in Redwood City for a concert and were very happy to have let the good reviews guide us here.Special Features:
- mediocre fooddinnerbellDined on 2/4/2014The service was good. The food was mediocre. There was only one dish, General Zao's chicken that was good. The lamb didn't even taste like lamb, asparagus lacked flavor and the chow mein looked like fast food chow mein. Disappointing, but maybe there are only certain dishes they do well.
- Great food but long waitRDfoodieVIPDined on 2/1/2014This review is of my second visit to Crouching Tiger, which was for dinner on Saturday 2/01, in the middle of Chinese New Year. Full house included several large family groups. I went with a friend - party of two. The food quality is truly outstanding, and the service staff did their very best and were very pleasant and considerate. But, it was almost an hour's wait between order and soup, and then another 20 minutes between soup and main course. I suspect that the size of the kitchen was just inadequate for the demand. Xinjiang Lamb was absolutely a fantastic dish, though. I definitely plan to go back, but at a time when probably less frantic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Chinese food in Redwood CityLynieRVIPDined on 1/25/2014What a great find!! Really wonderful food...many great taste treats. We recommended this restaurant to my in-laws and after searching for a good chinese restaurant after Su Hong in Menlo Park closed....they are so happy too!!!Special Features:
- Love the food, excited to see renovJonSDined on 1/20/2014This is one of our favorites. The food is always flavorful and we are never disappointed. It can be crowded, and some large group tables are loud. We are looking forward to the expansion and renovations (they are taking the space next door), and hoping it helps distribute the noise a bit. The dishes we enjoyed: Sesame chicken (sweet delight), Combination chow fun (noodles are always so tender), and Szechuan shrimp (slight spice - yummy). We also tried the Double cooked pork w/ fatty pork, it was a bit more leeks/onion than we preferred. Hopefully tables (for two) at larger table will be available in the new space. The current small tables are better for lunch specials when each person orders one dish, not really family style quantity.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Chinese FoodGrandmaDined on 1/17/2014Since moving to Redwood City we could not find a decent Chinese restaurant. Went on Open Table and read the reviews for Crouching Tiger and decided to try the place. It had awesome food. The portions were good size and the taste was great. This will be our go to place from now on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Table was waiting per reservation.OuttoeatDined on 12/31/2013Table was waiting per reservation. Menu was huge, something for everyone. Quality of food best Chinese in area. Friendly and helpful staff, relaxing atmosphere. Best kept secret in Redwood City!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just too hot for merobinVIPDined on 12/27/2013I have heard wonderful things about this restaurant so wanted to try. Quality of ingredients was excellent. Just to hot for my palate.
- Szechuan, polite serviceWJHWJHDined on 12/25/2013Went here on Christmas Day, after seeing a movie. Despite the fact that we were really late for our 5pm reservation, they found us a table, and very little attitude about it. The place was PACKED- not a single table or seat open. But the service was still very polite, if a bit rushed. They do best at spicy here- but not overly oily, or packed with chilies. I wish it was closer...much better than Fey, which has a similar menu, but is sadly inconsistent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My new favorite!MsTrixieDined on 12/4/2013I have been here twice and both times I was impressed. The first time we had to wait awhile but the second time I made sure to make a reservation. The food is amazing and the service is excellent. Hot and Sour soup - lots of flavor and generous portions Honey walnut prawns - got them both times. Some of the best I have had Kung Pao chicken - I am a huge fan of jalapenos so I was happy to see this variation and it was so good! Schezuan chicken - much spicier than I was expecting but oh so good This is my new go to place for chinese food. The portions are not as large as most chinese places and it can get a little pricey but well worth it!Special Features:
- Fresh Chinese FoodDubsDined on 11/24/2013There are a lot of options at Crouching Tiger and all are low in cost. Everything is fresh and delicious. The beef was a bit fatty, we had Szechuan Beef. Moo shu was tasty as were the pot stickers.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Penninusla SzechwanbarkinittiDined on 11/16/2013A bit noisy, but ambience is not the draw here. Place is great with kids. The real highlight here is the fantastic Szechwan food. Dry cooked chicken is the best!! Pork fried rice is amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- steady and goodpvpartyDined on 10/30/2013Good fresh food, good service and reasonable pricesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really solid menuzchandyDined on 10/4/2013Crouching Tiger perhaps loses some complexity by stacking so much flavor in its dishes, and by relying upon so much salt and chili paste, but its Schezwan food, so that's what you come for. I highly recommend the cold noodle dishes which remain elegantly understated for the saucy menu, and the eggplant for those looking for something too salty and spicy in all the best ways.Special Features:
- Very darkOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/24/2013When I arrived, I told the hostess/waiter to enter my arrival in their OpenTable system. They said that only the owner had access to the OpenTable system. Throughout the dinner, I did not see the owner checking the computer at all. I left the Restaurant with a bad feeling that I may be penalized by not showing up. The place was dark and the service was slow. The food is good but small portions compared with a Chinese restaurant closer to SF, but this is Redwood City and they cater to a different crowd.
- Great Food and quick service.justmich88Dined on 8/15/2013Great Food and quick service. Best Chinese place I have found in RWC.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was very nice - not greatJeanDined on 6/30/2013Food was very nice - not great but northern Chinese food is not nearly as prevalent here and so this place is a gem. there are many house specials that deserve trying. Parking can be an issue but there really is a free lot at the end of the block.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very good food, great menuTexasTeriVIPDined on 6/27/2013very good food, great menu variety. Old world Asian hospitality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can'r Wait to Go BackAHreviewVIPDined on 5/18/2013The food at Crouching Tiger is some of the best Chinese food I have ever had. Many dishes are a bit spicy, but not fiery hot. After the show I went back and got more food to take home. That is how much I liked it. Try the Hunan Beef soup, which is like eggdrop on steroids, and smoked tea duck. The man at the next table earlier told me he drove 30 miles just for that. He was right to do it. The duck was meaty, tender, and flavorful. Yum. The place was full, all the tables, and it is well reviewed on Zagat's and on Yelp. If you are anywhere near the area, don't miss it. They do take reservations, and I'd recommend that you make one.Special Features:
- Rated highly by others; foodTreemanVIPDined on 5/14/2013Rated highly by others; food good to excellent. Service very slow. Nice decor. Loud.Special Features:
- Satisfying Chinese DiningRevKittehDined on 4/22/2013We have been here a few times and the food is always consistantly delicious. The broccoli chicken was tender and delicious along with the asparagus beef. I particularly enjoy the walnut prawns, but this go round they could have included a few more of their crunchy sweet walnuts... (hint, hint). A big plus is that the portion sizes are enough to take some home to enjoy the next day. Over all the food and atmosphere is worth enjoying over and over again. It's not a large dining area, but it always feels homey and comfortable. Wait staff is pleasant and accommodating. Great place for 'take-out' too!Special Features:
- This is the best Chinese restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 3/24/2013This is the best Chinese restaurant on the Peninsula.Special Features:
- The host and wait staff wereyummytummyDined on 3/24/2013The host and wait staff were attentive and paid attention to the little details.The menu includes quite a few hot and spicy dishes since it specializes in Hunan cuisine as a opposed to the less spicy Cantonese food most Americans are accustomed. This restaurant is within walking distance of downtown Redwood City's theater and entertainment district. It is also convenient to San Mateo County's government offices.Special Features:
- Great Chinese restaurant discoveryAlanVIPDined on 3/8/2013It's so hard to find a good Chinese restaurant on the Peninsula these days. So it was a very nice surprise to discover Crouching Tiger in Redwood City. The menu puts together the best from various regions of China, the ingredients are fresh and flavorful, and the prices are very reasonable. Nice casual ambience. Book ahead on OpenTable to prevent long waits!Special Features: