Croton Reservoir Tavern
108 West 40th Street
New York, NY 10018Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Croton Reservoir Tavern
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.crotonnyc.com/
- Phone: (212) 997-6835
- Hours of Operation:
Hours: Monday - Tuesday: 11:30am - 2:00am; Wednesday- Friday: 11:30am - 4:00am, Saturday: 11:30pm - 2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Giancarlo Autenzio
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Dancing, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Located in Midtown Manhattan, next to Broadway, steps from Times Square and near all mass transit, Croton NYC is the perfect setting for a full range of events; including celebration dinners, wedding receptions, corporate affairs, holiday parties and more for groups of up to 300 (both levels).
- Private Party Contact: Chris Delmond 2129976835
- Special Events: Private room for groups of 20 to 120. Weddings, receptions, corporate events, birthdays, Holiday events, any occasion. Full sit down or buffet menus available. Private sound system, restrooms, bar.
Up to 300 capacity with entire bi-level restaurant.
A word from Croton Reservoir Tavern
Croton Reservoir Tavern has become a popular midtown lunch, dinner and after work gathering spot. Featuring a wondrous hand painted 150 sq foot mural of the reservoir in all its glory, dining at the Croton Reservoir Tavern allows you to enjoy a palpable turn of the century New York experience. The tavern’s 50 foot oak bar, brass studded leather chairs, wrought iron railings and leather banquet seating lay the backdrop for warmth and good cheer. Modern American cuisine and NYC’s most popular drinks are prepared to the highest of standards and served with relaxed charm and cheerful attentive service. Croton’s comfortable and casual atmosphere along with it's vibrant social scene, quality dining and special event hosting has made it one of New York’s most popular destinations.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Croton Reservoir Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
70 reviews since July 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (35)neighborhood gem (20)vibrant bar scene (18)great for brunch (14)good for groups (14)fit for foodies (11)special occasion (5)hot spot (4)romantic (3)kid-friendly (2)late-night find (2)scenic view (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Convenient location & good foodluv2dineDined on 11/12/2014This restaurant is very convenient to the theater district & has good food and service at a reasonable price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/8/2014Good brunch, but our waitress never came back to ask if we wanted more coffee.Special Features:
- mcgilaDined on 11/7/2014I really like this spot. It is convenient to Bryant Park and the Port Authority. The food is delicious and it has a good vibe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- More than your average pubFoodfriendVIPDined on 11/4/2014Large portions. Great lobster bisque. Interesting cocktailsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Croton Reservoir TavernFrenhsk8VIPDined on 10/31/2014This was our first time at Croton Reservoir Tavern. We were not disappointed. The drink menu was extensive with mixed drink specials, traditional cocktails, beers and wines. The menu was varied and it was difficult to select a dinner choice with so many good ones from which to choose. The waiter was attentive and friendly. We look forward to returning to this eating establishment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousJNYTDined on 10/26/2014The food was very good. There can be a lot of misses in this touristy part of town but this was a solid choice. We went on a Sunday evening after 8 so it might not be quiet during other times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/25/2014Michelle our waitress was very attentive and knew that we had theatre tickets and made sure we had great service and allowed us plenty of time to get to the theatre. Food was outstanding.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden costs/check your billEattingoutallthetimeVIPDined on 10/22/2014This restaurant has a racket where they scam you to upcharge. For instance, if you order the burger and the waiter asks you if you want regular fries, sweet potato fries or salad with the burger--EACH of those items are an additional $3. They don't tell you that. The burger actually comes with chips at the $16 price. Similarly, if you order the apple pie that says it comes with ice cream, when they add the ice cream, they add an additional $1.50. Total crooks because of the corporate businesses in the area who don't pay attention to the bill. No integrity in their practice to scam you out of a few extra bucks. I will never return and do not think it is the type of establishment that should be on Open Table.
- Quiet Sunday BrunchnjdinerDined on 10/19/2014Meet friends for Sunday brunch before the theater. The place has a nice ambiance and there is a large bar area. We were seated immediately. The brunch menu had a good variety of breakfast and lunch dishes. Everything we ordered was very good, especially the blueberry French toast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great experienceJerzyJaneDined on 10/18/2014Loved our dinner there on 10/18. The service was wonderful and our waitress was delightful. The food was delicious - a nice selection and everyone in our group loved their meal. I look forward to returning next time I'm in NYC.Special Features:
- Happily Surpised!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/13/2014I figured a tavern would serve OK food and was very happily surprised when everything was delicious! Way past what you would expect.Special Features:
- NYC RendezvousWinGDined on 10/13/2014Twice a year we meet old friends in NYC for lunch. They are from Philadelphia, we are from Hartford. We have agreed on Croton Reservoir as our meeting place as it is convenient for our travel plans. We have always enjoyed our meals and keep returning.Special Features:
- Great Sunday BrunchjaydeejayVIPDined on 10/12/2014We met a friend here for a Sunday brunch on a recent trip to NYC. We got there as soon as the restaurant opened, so it was rather quiet on our visit; but it was perfect for conversation. Although the restaurant name says "tavern" and there is a large bar area; it is definitely more than pub grub. My husband had the 3 egg omelet, our guest had the Italian eggs Benedict (which was a delicious twist on the original), and I had a really great crab cake sandwich which was perfect. Everything was fresh and delicious and our service was great.Special Features:
- ONNIEVIPDined on 10/8/2014I was disappointed that they discontinued their fixed price menu. It was one of the reasons I chose this restaurant for my group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quick Stop ShopOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 10/7/2014Found this place using OpenTable as a big group of us were looking to have lunch before leaving the City. Would have enjoyed dining upstairs as the downstairs felt like eating in a basement. No windows, no views, etc. Food was good but nothing memorable. Server was very accommodating with our large group considering how last minute our reservation was made. Seemed like upstairs would be a great place for a quick lunch.Special Features:
- OrdinaryOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 10/7/2014There is something about this restaurant that just didn't quite work. Perhaps the fact that the tables were all lined up along the length of the bar made it feel tight. Perhaps the fact that the food was fine but not special. There was nothing actually wrong with anything. Just not enough right to ever want to go back again.
- JeffSVIPDined on 9/25/2014Way to noisy. The food was very good. What a shame.Special Features:
- Croton Reservoir TavernMikeDined on 9/25/2014Four of us went to the Croton Reservoir Tavern for dinner before the theater. Three of us had streak and one had the salmon. All of us enjoyed our meals. The food was well prepared and the serving sizes adequate. My steak was cooked exactly the way I ordered it. I also had the Lobster Bisque soup which was prepared fresh and had a generous helping of lobster. This is not a restaurant for large groups. It appears that the maximum table size is for 6. It is also noisy once the bar gets crowded. Overall, really great food, reasonably priced, ok for a small group and a little too noisy.Special Features:
- great place for lunchYddelightDined on 9/24/2014I went to Croton for a lunch meeting with my office mentor. The place was not that noisy, we were able to go about our discussions smoothly. I had the lobster bisque and kale and quinoa salad, which were absolutely fantastic. I will definitely go back for more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- macyDined on 9/24/2014Good food, friendly service, overall very good lunch and bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Croton Reservoir TavernOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/23/2014A wonderful restaurant: good food, nicely prepared, and served with care. Could be quieter, but with so many people there, surprised that the noise level is as low as it is.Special Features:
- Time to catch upfoodiethrillDined on 9/20/2014I had 2 hours to spend with my daughter Ambiance was perfect salads were refreshing service excellent highlySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodieafficianadoVIPDined on 8/26/2014Food was hearty and good but nothing special. Fair value for the price.Special Features:
- Should have gone someplace else!ElaineVIPDined on 8/23/2014We had a 5 pm reservation and we were the only people dining for at least 40 minutes. Our waitress was incredibly annoying. I guess she was bored. She wanted us to order while the bartender made our drinks. I said we'd wait until we got them. She stood there so I asked her to give us a minute. This went on through the whole meal. No bread was served. She tried to take my wine glass before it was empty. Asked us if we wanted dessert while taking our dinner plates. I had a watermelon and tomato salad and salmon, my friend had lobster bisque and risotto. We shared a plate of cookies. The food is so-so. There are much better places in the area. Our Manhattans were $16 each! Sorry I picked this restaurant.
- My New Favorite!dakotaVIPDined on 8/23/2014Loved this charming restaurant--a little off the Theater District path, but worth the extra blocks!Special Features:
- Third timeIloveNYCDined on 8/16/2014This is our third visit and as in previous visits everything was very good. The food, service and ambience is very nice.Special Features:
- Convenient to Times SquareKJCGVIPDined on 8/8/2014The restuarant is just a block off Times Square but leaves all the glitz and lights behind. I went with a group from work for lunch. Service was attentive, bar setting was casual and food was generally good. We had burgers, both beef and veggie, crab cakes and a filet pasta that looked great. Skip the 'Maryland' style crab cake. Too much mayonnaise too little crab!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was goodPrometheus478Dined on 8/7/2014The food was good, and service was ok. We were seated quickly, but it took a while for someone to come to the table and all night.Special Features:
- Business LunchPeteWilsonDined on 8/5/2014Food and service always good. Watermelon Gazpacho soup was great.Special Features:
- A Real Findoperafan141VIPDined on 8/3/2014The food was very good, the service terrific and the cost was reasonable. This is a comfortable, attractive tavern. We were there on a Sunday afternoon when it was not very crowded and since it is sort of a sports bar (lots of televisions showing various sporting events) it might be a bit loud when it is filled with fans, but when we were there it was perfect. The location is great for 42nd Street theaters and you can find good discount coupons for parking on the block. We really enjoyed the risotto special (with smashed peas) and the farfalle with sirloin tips. All in all a very good choice!Special Features:
- Quick and tastychrissyDined on 7/30/2014This was listed as a nearby spot to our hotel. They took reservations and seated us immediately. The service was quick and friendly and the food was cooked as expected and tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great oasisSwisskapDined on 7/28/2014Met for lunch with out of state family visitors and daughter who works in the area. Food was awesome. Burgers, salads, spicy chicken wraps done perfectly. Restaurant and bar very appealing. Look forward to next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good brunch spot near Metro stationOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/27/2014I went with a group of 6 for brunch on Sunday. Although Yelp review wasn't as high as some other restaurant in the neighborhood, we selected it as we could get the last minute reservation for party of 6 and it was located right near metro station. The food was above my expectation. The blueberry french toast was so delicious. I would recommend this place to othersSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentTouristDined on 7/24/2014I have eaten here twice....brunch and lunch. For brunch all 12 people at the table had excellent meals, perfectly prepared and delicious! For lunch all 4 people had the exact same wonderful experience. The service on both visits was outstanding. I recommend the Croton Madame for brunch and the Octoous Ceviche for lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too noisy,mundane foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/24/2014Service was very attentive but the restaurant was so noisy that it was hard to hear the conversation at the table. Food was just OK.
- The following 473 reviews are from the Croton Reservoir Tavern reviews archive.
- Quick stopTonyVIPDined on 6/26/2014We stopped in for a quick bite. We had 3 appetizers - all good. The crab cakes were very good. Can't say much else except it's very noisy in there.
- Perfect business lunchGreystoneJakDined on 6/18/2014Really enjoyed atmosphere during world cup working lunch.Special Features:
- Terrific bar menu close to broadwayGopherGirlVIPDined on 6/14/2014Excellent experience here, you can do lots of small plates to share and enjoy the huge selection of beers and liquors. Recommend!
- USWDinerVIPDined on 6/5/2014Excellent midtown spot for a mid-day business lunch. The food's quite good. The only drawbacks are that sound levels are a little energetic and table space can be a little cramped, but those are minor in the overall picture.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/30/2014Came here for a business lunch. Quick seating and service. Noise level was adequate to have a conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.