Croton Reservoir Tavern
108 West 40th Street
New York, NY 10018Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Croton Reservoir Tavern
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.crotonnyc.com/
- Phone: 2129976835
- Hours of Operation:
Hours: Monday - Tuesday: 11:30am - 2:00am; Wednesday- Friday: 11:30am - 4:00am, Saturday: 11:30pm - 2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Giancarlo Autenzio
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Dancing, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Located in Midtown Manhattan, next to Broadway, steps from Times Square and near all mass transit, Croton NYC is the perfect setting for a full range of events; including celebration dinners, wedding receptions, corporate affairs, holiday parties and more for groups of up to 300 (both levels).
- Private Party Contact: Chris Delmond 2129976835
- Special Events: Private room for groups of 20 to 120. Weddings, receptions, corporate events, birthdays, Holiday events, any occasion. Full sit down or buffet menus available. Private sound system, restrooms, bar.
Up to 300 capacity with entire bi-level restaurant.
A word from Croton Reservoir Tavern
Croton Reservoir Tavern has become a popular midtown lunch, dinner and after work gathering spot. Featuring a wondrous hand painted 150 sq foot mural of the reservoir in all its glory, dining at the Croton Reservoir Tavern allows you to enjoy a palpable turn of the century New York experience. The tavern’s 50 foot oak bar, brass studded leather chairs, wrought iron railings and leather banquet seating lay the backdrop for warmth and good cheer. Modern American cuisine and NYC’s most popular drinks are prepared to the highest of standards and served with relaxed charm and cheerful attentive service. Croton’s comfortable and casual atmosphere along with it's vibrant social scene, quality dining and special event hosting has made it one of New York’s most popular destinations.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Croton Reservoir Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
71 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (35)neighborhood gem (20)vibrant bar scene (18)good for groups (16)great for brunch (12)fit for foodies (8)hot spot (6)special occasion (4)late-night find (4)romantic (3)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Should have gone someplace else!ElaineVIPDined on 8/23/2014We had a 5 pm reservation and we were the only people dining for at least 40 minutes. Our waitress was incredibly annoying. I guess she was bored. She wanted us to order while the bartender made our drinks. I said we'd wait until we got them. She stood there so I asked her to give us a minute. This went on through the whole meal. No bread was served. She tried to take my wine glass before it was empty. Asked us if we wanted dessert while taking our dinner plates. I had a watermelon and tomato salad and salmon, my friend had lobster bisque and risotto. We shared a plate of cookies. The food is so-so. There are much better places in the area. Our Manhattans were $16 each! Sorry I picked this restaurant.
- My New Favorite!dakotaVIPDined on 8/23/2014Loved this charming restaurant--a little off the Theater District path, but worth the extra blocks!Special Features:
- Third timeIloveNYCDined on 8/16/2014This is our third visit and as in previous visits everything was very good. The food, service and ambience is very nice.Special Features:
- Convenient to Times SquareKJCGVIPDined on 8/8/2014The restuarant is just a block off Times Square but leaves all the glitz and lights behind. I went with a group from work for lunch. Service was attentive, bar setting was casual and food was generally good. We had burgers, both beef and veggie, crab cakes and a filet pasta that looked great. Skip the 'Maryland' style crab cake. Too much mayonnaise too little crab!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was goodPrometheus478Dined on 8/7/2014The food was good, and service was ok. We were seated quickly, but it took a while for someone to come to the table and all night.Special Features:
- Business LunchPeteWilsonDined on 8/5/2014Food and service always good. Watermelon Gazpacho soup was great.Special Features:
- A Real Findoperafan141Dined on 8/3/2014The food was very good, the service terrific and the cost was reasonable. This is a comfortable, attractive tavern. We were there on a Sunday afternoon when it was not very crowded and since it is sort of a sports bar (lots of televisions showing various sporting events) it might be a bit loud when it is filled with fans, but when we were there it was perfect. The location is great for 42nd Street theaters and you can find good discount coupons for parking on the block. We really enjoyed the risotto special (with smashed peas) and the farfalle with sirloin tips. All in all a very good choice!Special Features:
- Quick and tastychrissyDined on 7/30/2014This was listed as a nearby spot to our hotel. They took reservations and seated us immediately. The service was quick and friendly and the food was cooked as expected and tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great oasisSwisskapDined on 7/28/2014Met for lunch with out of state family visitors and daughter who works in the area. Food was awesome. Burgers, salads, spicy chicken wraps done perfectly. Restaurant and bar very appealing. Look forward to next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good brunch spot near Metro stationOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/27/2014I went with a group of 6 for brunch on Sunday. Although Yelp review wasn't as high as some other restaurant in the neighborhood, we selected it as we could get the last minute reservation for party of 6 and it was located right near metro station. The food was above my expectation. The blueberry french toast was so delicious. I would recommend this place to othersSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentTouristDined on 7/24/2014I have eaten here twice....brunch and lunch. For brunch all 12 people at the table had excellent meals, perfectly prepared and delicious! For lunch all 4 people had the exact same wonderful experience. The service on both visits was outstanding. I recommend the Croton Madame for brunch and the Octoous Ceviche for lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too noisy,mundane foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/24/2014Service was very attentive but the restaurant was so noisy that it was hard to hear the conversation at the table. Food was just OK.
- Quick stopTonyVIPDined on 6/26/2014We stopped in for a quick bite. We had 3 appetizers - all good. The crab cakes were very good. Can't say much else except it's very noisy in there.
- Perfect business lunchGreystoneJakDined on 6/18/2014Really enjoyed atmosphere during world cup working lunch.Special Features:
- Terrific bar menu close to broadwayGopherGirlVIPDined on 6/14/2014Excellent experience here, you can do lots of small plates to share and enjoy the huge selection of beers and liquors. Recommend!
- USWDinerVIPDined on 6/5/2014Excellent midtown spot for a mid-day business lunch. The food's quite good. The only drawbacks are that sound levels are a little energetic and table space can be a little cramped, but those are minor in the overall picture.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/30/2014Came here for a business lunch. Quick seating and service. Noise level was adequate to have a conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dependable FOOD and SERVICEKimiVIPDined on 5/27/2014Great lunch spot for midtown. Awesome service. Fresh delicious food.. You really can't go wrong. Would love to see some happy hour specials and I would be able to bring half my office there on Thursday nights!Special Features:
- Good locationMaryWDined on 5/21/2014Croton is in an excellent location, has a simple menu and comfortable seating.Special Features:
- No place for pre-theaterABSeaDined on 5/16/2014It's hard to fault a restaurant for having a blow-out happy hour. Its easier to fault us for choosing Croton Reservoir for a pre-theater dinner at 6:30 on a Friday night. The first table offered was near the entrance, opposite the main bar, which was a-roar at the time. So we asked for something quieter. We got a recessed table near the rear, but right near the top of stairs that led down to another bar whose noise level made the upstairs see like a service at a Friends Meeting House (they are very quiet). The food was quite good and promptly delivered; our delightful waitress made us forget the din with her attentiveness and infectious good humor. I'd go back anytime, but after 8:00pm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Times Sq Lunch SpotBellaMarDined on 5/15/2014I frequent this place about once a month, usually for lunch with the girls. Good food, good service and good prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch DEZmacyDined on 5/14/2014Warm welcome, outstanding service, good food, good time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never had a bad experience!BethVIPDined on 5/12/2014I love meeting my friends here for drinks and food after work or before theater. I've been there many, many times over the years, and they never disappoint. The food is excellent and the service friendly and efficient. The bar can be a bit noisy, but it just adds to the festive atmosphere. Have a good time!
- Close to theatersaprilDined on 5/11/2014Great place for quick meal away from the theater crush but close enough to walk to the show.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SometimeNYSometimeNYDined on 5/6/2014Croton usually comes to mind for after work drinks and a quick dinner. Conveniently located to our midtown work and theater district. I think friends are tired of my suggesting Croton but so far we have not been disappointed with the food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too loud!rebjsDined on 5/1/2014Great food but the noise level is horrid. Husband and I had to text message each other to talk at dinner.Special Features:
- The following 459 reviews are from the Croton Reservoir Tavern reviews archive.
- A Favorite Spot6mcw0VIPDined on 4/30/2014While it can be a bit loud early in the evening, Croton Reservoir Tavern is a favorite meeting place for friends or business. The bar is long and inviting. You can also sit at the nearby tables and enjoy the great food. A wide range of choices, we've often just had drinks and different appetizers. The whiskey list is fantastic -- I go there to try new things. Have often sat for hours enjoying drinks, eating little by little, and having wide ranging conversations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!IloveNYCDined on 4/27/2014This is my 2nd time having brunch here. The server was wonderful and the food was amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food, but a smoker's delightfamilydinerDined on 4/25/2014We went Friday during happy hour, the bar scene was busy. The dining room wasn't full, we sat large round booth near the door. It blocked off most of window, but my view was very off putting, smokers stood right in front of the window.The kale salad was delicious, as was the huge crab cake. My son had the chicken pot pie, but said it was more like stew, very thin sauce. He liked the puff pastry on top. Husband and I shared the filet mignon pasta, the sauce was supposed to contain horseradish, think they forgot the horseradish. It tasted fine, but when you are expecting a zing from the horseradish it was a little bit disappointing. It was a good place to go for a bite to eat, but ask to sit away from the window.Special Features:
- Good for groupsJenVonEDined on 4/24/2014Place has pretty decent food, and if you go with a group downstairs is the best place to be as it was not loud at all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre TheatrePeteWilsonDined on 4/4/2014Went there with family for pre theatre. 10 out of 12 dishes were outstanding, didn't care for the lobster bisque so much. Someone needs to tell them to TURN THE MUSIC DOWN! I realize it was Happy Hour but I think the owner should remind the bartender that it is a Tavern not a Nightclub, that is what the basement is for. My third visit there, will still do lunch.Special Features:
- No TIme Out at CrotonKadiDined on 4/3/2014Very loud and noisy bar scene with no place to eat and enjoy some food. The menu is vey limited. Service was decent. Not a place to relax at all.Special Features:
- Pleasantly surprisedrunmom23VIPDined on 4/2/2014My girlfriends and I were pleasantly surprised when we ate here for lunch pre-theater. We truly enjoyed our food. I had the kale salad with seared tuna on top. It was delicious, healthy and very satisfying. We were short on time as our train was delayed, and they were able to get us out in plenty of time, even with ordering two courses. The only downside was the noise level.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Been here twice and both timesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/25/2014Been here twice and both times were not disappointed. Food is great. Service is Great and we were going to a show so there was not problem with getting in and out in time to get to the show early. Love this place will be sure to go again and againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent solid lunch spotAAAAAMAZERDined on 3/20/2014Solid lunch spot with good quality food, a lot of tvs for march madness.Special Features:
- off the main drag near Times SquareOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 3/9/2014We were looking for a brunch location near, but not in, the Times Square area. We had a great waiter, a great meal, and a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot for brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/8/2014We had a very good brunch at Croton Reservoir Tavern. The food and cocktails were good and the service was wonderful. Would recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FindSuzyDined on 2/7/2014This little bar / restaurant is lively and fun. The food here is excellent; much better than typical pub fare. I had the salmon and my husband had the sirloin. Tasty !!! Would definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- perfectly fine for what it isCather123VIPDined on 2/6/2014Not quite a bar, a step up from a coffee shop, this place serves a good function in a neighborhood where it can be tough to avoid chain restaurants or take-out. Their kale salad is quite delicious, and you can feel self-righteous about its being healthy. Or you can just get a burger and be done with it! Prices are not cheap, but you're paying for location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- French DipMikeyDined on 2/6/2014The roast beef was fatty and like shoe leather. Could not eat it.