Crop Vermont Bistro & Brewery
1859 Mountain Road
Stowe, VT 05672Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Crop Vermont Bistro & Brewery
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cropvt.com/
- Phone: 8022534765x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Daily: 5:30pm-CLOSE
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Gastro Pub, Brewery
- Executive Chef: Tom Bivins, 2011 Vermont Chef of the Year
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Crop Vermont Bistro & Brewery
Crop Bistro & Brewery is conveniently located on the Mountain Road in beautiful Stowe, Vermont. The restaurant boasts stunning interiors and ambiance featuring Peter Miller photographs, a legendary pub, and a beautiful hand crafted lounge bar. The kitchen, headed by Chef/General Manager Steve Sicinski utilizes fresh local and regional ingredients. Along with great food, Crop Bistro and Brewery offers local, national and international ales, along with our own selection of hand crafted beers. Please inquire about taking a brew tour with our Brewmaster, Will Gilson.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Crop Vermont Bistro & Brewery - Best Restaurants in Stowe ›
Crop Vermont Bistro & Brewery reviews from OpenTable diners
30 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (21)fit for foodies (12)good for groups (12)kid-friendly (10)neighborhood gem (7)scenic view (6)great for lunch (4)vibrant bar scene (4)hot spot (3)notable wine list (2)romantic (2)late-night find (1)great for brunch (1)special occasion (1)Show More
- awesome, a must !OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/12/2014We had no idea what to expect and here it is, our discovery of a gem at a walking distance from our usual motel when visiting Stowe. The fireplace and cozy atmosphere were so soothing on such an unusually cold September night. The food was amazing, the beer sampler was very good, the waiter gave impeccable service and the hostess, Maria, was so welcoming and professional ! We will definitely go back next time we are in the area, and of course recommend this place !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was deliciousLuv2cookDined on 8/30/2014We had the Pork shoulder egg roll that you definitely want to go back for more. The kale salad was good, I liked that the kale was finely chopped. For entrees we had the gnocchis and the braised pork shank. Both were delicious and unique. Will make this a regular stop on our next trip to VT.Special Features:
- Group of 8holliDined on 8/26/2014Reservation for 6 changed to 8, but they were very accommodating. When we got there we decided to eat outside, the 10 minute wait was more like a half hour, but our group was happy to enjoy the beautiful fresh air and scenery. It was the end of the season so the y were a little under staffed. Server was friendly and helpful. There was no bread but the server knew we were hungry, so she brought hot pretzels for us to sample while we waited. Once it got dark we decided to move inside and they were again helpful and accommodating. There were two vegetarian items on the menu. The Gnochi was more like breakfast potatoes - not what we expected. The quinoa was a much better and filling option. Salads were great and muscles were good too!Special Features:
- Cold foodKateDined on 8/25/2014Although the flavor of the steak was good it was very unfortunate that it was not hot, not even very warm actually. We felt like it sat for quite a while on the counter before the server delivered it. It's a nice restaurant and I'd give it another try if we were in the area.Special Features:
- Great evening for 6 friendsJohnVIPDined on 8/23/2014Even through a little chill, this was a good choice for a group of 6. Big table - outside - excellent beer - great food. From mussels to flat-iron steaks to gnocchi; something for everyone and cooked to peoples desires. We would go back in a heartbeat.Special Features:
- GreatBs1119VIPDined on 8/21/2014Just keeps getting better. Excellent beer also! Always go when I'm in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Taxed OutTaxedOut4goodDined on 8/9/2014Fish was fresh and quite tasty, Scollops were good but the the veggies that they came with were a two thumbs down --under cooked, couldn't eat them. The beers were delightful. The server (Stephanie, I believe) was quite good, very pleasant! Prices were acceptable BUT, and this was huge . . . they added on a 20% ("Service Fee") tip, a meal tax a 10% Liquor tax and then a town tax. This brought our bill (my wife and I) from $67 to 86 and change. To be fair the fine print did state parties of 6 or more will automatically pay 20% more and we were with friends but paying separately but the taxes . . . Holy mackerel! I thought Massachusetts was bad!
- Great outdoor diningOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/9/2014This was my second visit because the first was such a pleasant experience. I particularly enjoyed the various cheeses and local beers. The chopped salad was sensational.Special Features:
- Fun place for lunch or dinnerDallasfriendDined on 8/6/2014We started outside but got cold and our waiter moved us inside. We wished they would have had some heat lamps, as outside was great. All the food was good, but the fish and chips were great. A must order.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great beer and foodSilverzcarDined on 7/22/2014Great microbrewery for beer with many styles. Flight of 6 beers allows you to try many of them. Food was excellent as well. Bourbon braised pork shank was very flavorful. Fish and chips had a great crunchy batter. Sat at the bistro side this time where it is kid friendly and more causal. Last time we were in the dining room where it is more formal. Most people were at the outside dining area in the back which was also very nice. This is probably now our go to spot in Stowe.Special Features:
- The CropOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/18/20142AM fries were excellent, burger was only fair, brews were good. A few more lower alcohol/english style brews would be nice.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worst food experience in some timeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/18/2014Everything that could go wrong did. Making a reservation with opentable did not help, they had no record of it, fortunately it did not matter as they had open tables. Limited menu 10 Dinner items (not a complaint but you should know). Menu wording is so limited it does not describe the meal accurately. Service was slow, by the end we were taking the over under on how long it would take her to do things, like bring the check. We had a question about our bill and just skipped asking it because we did not want to wait another 20 minutes to get it answered. Many other things wrong with food and service, but after a while it was just so bad that there was little they could do to turn it around.
- Service could have been betterJimMDined on 7/4/2014The place wasn't slammed yet, but it took a long time for each item to come out of the kitchen. The wait staff seem good, so I think it was the kitchen that was the problem. Good thing we weren't in a hurry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Placejcs63Dined on 7/4/2014Great Brewery and menu. Would come back time and time againSpecial Features:
- Disappointing compared to winter.Soccermum1Dined on 7/3/2014Much better & enjoyable this past winter. Food was good this summer but service was terrible. Frustrating evening.
- I would go backVTNativeDined on 6/26/2014The food was great and the beers excellent. If our waitress had been more attentive, we probably would have had a few more drinks before leaving to see a show. It wasn't a very busy night and we felt a little forgotten. But I'll give it another try because the food was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/7/2014Food and drinks were great. Outdoor seating was wonderful for lunch on a warm June day. Our waitress was terrible.Special Features:
- The following 220 reviews are from the Crop Vermont Bistro & Brewery reviews archive.
- Good food, poor atmosphere.kroseDined on 5/4/2014We made reservations and expected to be sitting in the restaurant. Instead showed up to a seat yourself, pub only situation. Disappointing as we were in the area only for the night and had been wanting to try the Bistro for some time. Food was delicious though!
- Not What We HopedVT414Dined on 4/11/2014Vermont has many wonderful restaurants. The farm to table dining experiences puts the VT restaurant community above the competition. We had high hopes for The Crop, but overall were disappointed by a mediocre meal. Our appetizers were decent, not great, but good enough that I'd go back to sit at the bar for a local beer and order an app. The main meal was unimpressive with overcooked beef and a hair (hey, it happens to the best of them) in a side and a salad so bitter it was inedible. Go for the atmosphere, I expect the bar experience is much better. Order an appetizer, they're quite large so you may find that to be enough, but I wouldn't go expecting the same caliber meal you will find in the area.Special Features:
- Everything was excellent!DutchieVIPDined on 4/5/2014We were here with a very large group on a Saturday evening and everything was excellent: the food, the wine, and the service. Our waitress was very helpful and accomodating, and no one had to wait for a long time for their food, which in this situation was a big accomplishment.Special Features:
- Beer good Food average Prices highDaveDined on 3/29/2014I think my title says it all. Not terrible, but not worth the price.
- Awesome dinner!MarshaDined on 3/14/2014Beer is great, dinner great, dessert great. Atmosphere was modern and clean. Food came out a little slow but in the end I think it was well worth the wait. A real jewel of Stowe!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pub/Beer are OK/Bistro not so muchStoweRegularDined on 3/13/2014Shoddy inattentive service, inconsistent food, unauthentic atmosphere. Wait staff needs training and is clueless. Waited 20 min after being seated before we even saw our waiter. Then another 10 minutes to get a drink. Never got bread. Dirty dishes piled up on our table as we moved through courses. Water galsses sat empty. Other wait staff walked by our table repeatedly, looked straight at the used plates and empty water glasses, and kept walking - even though one actually had A WATER PITCHER IN HER HAND! My salmon was pretty solid, but my son's fries were raw (cold and hard in the middle) and my wife had the Thai Chicken dish - total disaster...bland, watery...is it soup??? Who knows? MUCH better options in Stowe. Or just stick to the Pub.
- AverageSteveODined on 3/8/2014Decent food, however came out cold ( about 1/2 of the entrees in a party of ten). Comped us 2 meals. Not returning any time soon.
- Needs more optionsAESVTDined on 3/8/2014The menu needs more vegetarian on both the lunch and dinner menus. There should also be a few more lower priced options $10-15 on the dinner menu. Our main reason for going to Crop (this was our second time) is for the beer. Given that motivation, we don't want to pay $20+ for an entree. As locals, when we think casually about going to out to dinner it is not in that price range. If Crop is only after the vacation crowd, they may not care. Specifically, I had the bourbon shrimp of the 'pub fare' section. I would not have or recommend that again. We went for lunch the other time. I don't recall what we each had but we did both enjoy it.Special Features:
- A great night outtheGuysDined on 3/7/2014This is a fun spot with great food. Our favorite in Stowe. Pace your ordering because they do rush things a little.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great MealBrownBaggerDined on 2/22/2014We had a great meal at Crop. Their beer sampler was superb and their food was equally tasty. Easily the best dinner we had over the course of our few days in Stowe.I would recommend this to a friend.
- not what we expected.VTfoodieDined on 2/21/2014My friends and I spent the weekend in Stowe. Someone recommended CROP and we were excited to try it. They told us it was farm to table and really good. I made a res on open table, which was unnecessary as the place was almost completely empty on a Friday night during busy ski season. We ordered some less than impressive overpriced cocktails and some apps that were also pretty unimpressi. I hoped that my local burger would be up to par, but alas the burger was a disaster. After talking about our experience with some locals, we were informed that the original chef had left and the place had gone downhill since. There are so many good places to eat in Stowe, so don't waste your time here. They clearly dont care about the food anymore.
- Food was so-soWinchFamDined on 2/19/2014We were unable to get the time slot we wanted when making a reservation on-line so had to go earlier. The restaurant was still pretty empty even when we left so not sure why we couldn't have come later. The food was pretty mediocre and a bit on the pricey side for what we got. One order had to be sent back due to allergies to beets... who would expect beets to be served with a pricey steak. The order never came till the end of the meal so we had to take it to go. Would not come back here again.Special Features:
- Stick to the beerRuthVIPDined on 2/16/2014This was a very disappointing meal for us. The majority of items seemed to have been precooked, including the brussel sprouts appetizer and my chicken entree. The special was very good put not worth putting up with the other bad elements of the meal. The service was fine but they are clearly understaffed. The highlight of the meal was the beer which you can get if you just go to the pub. It is a pretty expensive place for how disappointing the food was. There are much better places in Stowe to go.
- the food was tasteless andLeslie58VIPDined on 2/15/2014the food was tasteless and they did not have any of the drinks we requested that were on the menu. We had had a bad prior experience but decided to give it a second chance. The first time we went my husband had ordered a hamburger no cheese. They brought it out with cheese and when he explained he can't eat cheese they simply went in the kitchen and scraped the cheese off bringing out a burger I wouldn't serve to anyone.
- Made reservations months priorEatoutalotVIPDined on 2/15/2014Made reservations months prior on Opentable. Got to restaurant at 6:15 for 6:30 to get good table, and majority of large front room was open. Hostess tried to sit us by table by entrance and close to hostess stand. I asked to be moved to one of 4 other four tops available in this room, and got serious attitude. Don't want to speculate on why she would not give my family a nice table, but she was not nice. Almost left. Food was good, pretty gourmet, restaurant nicely decorated, and waiter service was good. Although, would not go back due to hostess. Worse attitude than a trendy NYC restaurant. Maybe we did not look like regulars. Spoke to manager on why we got such a hard time.Special Features:
- After reading the reviewsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/12/2014After reading the reviews we went with mixed feelings, but our friends assured us the food is great. And so it was. The salads were fresh and the dishes creative and very tasty. The service was attentive and the atmosphere pleasant and relaxing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We've enjoyed many meals atOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/10/2014We've enjoyed many meals at Crop since they first opened, however, our most recent visit was unfortunately forgettable. The food was promptly and cheerily delivered but subpar. Our kids normally look forward to the pasta dish but they were unpressed this evening as the meal lacked both flavor and heart. My duck salad was simply dreadful and very under seasoned. The highlight were the lentils accompanying the main salmon dish. Food aside, the music was too loud and the choice is station very child unfriendly. We used to recommend Crop to all Stowe visitors but will now have to reconsider their lace on our must visit list.
- Reservation hiccup but still good!AllisonDined on 2/8/2014I recently made a reservation for my birthday at Crop Bistro. I received an email confirmation. When we arrived, the manager/host told me I had not made a reservation. When I showed him my confirmation email, he then blamed it on Open Table's system or the wires getting crossed. He did not apologize. They then looked panicked and told me to wait where I was while they tried to sort out the mess. Once we were finally sat, the table was perfect and the food was delicious. Our server, Steve, was fantastic! They also had several tables open around us -- not sure what all the panicking was about. The only drawback was that we were surrounded on three sides by large (over 15 people) parties making it almost impossible to hear.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food but chilly receptionSmelt13VIPDined on 2/8/2014The food was delicious and has some healthy options such as winter primavera which is based on spaghetti squash instead of pasta. The stout was like dessert as it has a strong chocolate taste. The wait service was good as well - not overly enthusiastic but quite competent. Just make sure when you make your reservation that you request if you would prefer not to sit by the windows in the greenhouse area on a cold evening. We asked to move to the center of the room after finding the seating too cool, but were told that the restaurant was completely booked so it was impossible. At 8:30 p.m. the center section of the restaurant (10-12 tables) was still empty except for one table of 4 people. Stowe must have a very late dining crowd!
- nice placeJessDined on 2/7/2014We visited this restaurant on a weekend trip to ski at stowe. The food was great, the service was ok...our waitress was not super friendly. Overall we enjoyed it though. We tasted some of the beer they make there which was Fun!Special Features:
- DON'T BOTHERDISAPPOINTEDDined on 2/7/2014Food and service was lacking! Service was sooo slow and food served like warm. My suppose to be medium steak was rare and me friends medium was well done!
- Very consistentMGH1Dined on 1/25/2014We go back to Crop time and time again because it is consistently above average and they often have new menu items. It's also great for a range of occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 50/50.....RocketmandanDined on 1/24/2014The food was excellent but our waitress provided poor service which did not please the 5 friends I brought to try this out. It was not particularly busy. She just seemed distracted and when dining at a nice place like this, service is an important part of the deal. Some said they felt like they were imposing when asking for another drink. My steak was done perfectly and every thing tasted excellent. I am also not conscious about the service aspect, but when it became the topic of conversation at the table, I had to notice. I would return here. The waitress might have just had an off night.Special Features: