Crogan's - Montclair
6101 La Salle Ave.
Oakland, CA 94611Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Crogan's - Montclair
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.crogansrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 5103392098
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30AM - 5:00PM
Dinner: Monday- Friday: 5:00PM - 10:00PM
Sunday: 5:00PM - 9:30PM
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:30AM - 3:00PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
A word from Crogan's - Montclair
We are a restaurant that treats our guests like you are part of our family.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Crogan's - Montclair reviews from OpenTable diners
- Great Father's Day Lunch settingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/16/2013We had a great experience at Crogan's-Montclair. Food was outstanding (portions are large), server was attentive and helpful, and our 91 year old dad was thoroughly pleased with his meal. I recommend highly.....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dependably good dining in MontclairDaveDined on 6/3/2013This place costs too many $$$ to make a habit, but I have gone occasionally, and recently received a gift certificate that covered two visits --- all fine evenings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An institution like Crogan'sOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/21/2013An institution like Crogan's is obviously resting on it's laurels. Sad and disheartening. Not bad, just fair. Poor value, overpriced and generally unfriendly. I'll never go back.
- Mid-week experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2001Dined on 3/20/2013The restaurant actually honored my request to be seated at a booth, very surprising. The menu contained interesting entrees with something for everyone's taste. I will keep this restaurant on my "revisit" list.Special Features:
- Crogan's Is A Absolute WinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/14/2013My wife and I were looking for a nice place for a Valentine dinner. Checked on-line and found Crogan's in Montclair. Even with lots of people out for the evening we arrived at 6:45 for 7pm reservation and we were sitted immediately. Filet Mignon was on special and it was outstanding. We had a wonderful waitress who made sure we had everything we wanted. Parking was available on the street right in front of the resturant. We hada wonderful meal, great service and nice surroundings. We are looking forward to Feb 26(Wife's birthday) to return for another visit. No hesitations in recommending Crogans to friends and family. 5 stars +++Special Features:
- ReliableOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013We've eaten here for years. Always dependable, if not spectacular, prices are moderate. On this occasion (Valentine's Day) they gave a red rose to every female guest. Nice touch.Special Features:
- It was Valentine's Night andGloriaVIPDined on 2/14/2013It was Valentine's Night and a thoughtful, long-stem rose presented to each female. Unfortunately, this holiday dinner was disappointing. The serving of a large piece of roast beef had too much fat and sinew -- difficult to cut. They had only two large salads on the menu -- the other preferred salads were two small for two to share and pricey for two orders. The bread pudding dessert was large-- enough to share with 4 people.Special Features:
- A good spot for Sunday brunch.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/10/2013A good spot for Sunday brunch. A seat at the window provides a view of the bustling Montclair Farmers Market. My fellow diners had lunch items. I chose eggs benedict which were delicious. Blood Marys were nice and spicy but next time I'll specify brand of vodka. Service was friendly and efficient. Good value for the area.Special Features:
- Neighborhood place with lotsalexVIPDined on 1/25/2013Neighborhood place with lots of people, but nothing special.
- Good basic foodjaz2020VIPDined on 1/25/2013Crogan's makes a surprisingly spicy gumbo, and we love it! Fish tacos are also very good; the Cholula cream is inspired (get extra, it's yummy). Sadly, the 12-oz bistro steak was not as good as the smaller but tastier 8-oz top sirloin we had a few months ago: too thin and chewy. Creme brulee cheesecake was excellent but apparently not always available; Crogan's didn't have it when we returned a month later. They should bring it back as it's superior to their other desserts. Service here is always very good.Special Features:
- Anna was very attentive andOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/31/2012Anna was very attentive and friendly and we enjoyed her great serviceSpecial Features:
- Service was great, the perfectOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/31/2012Service was great, the perfect blend of efficient & relaxedSpecial Features:
- Waitress tried very hard toOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/26/2012Waitress tried very hard to make my 87 year old mother feel welcome. Appetizers a bit pricey, but tasted good. Burgers as good as ever.Special Features:
- Good place to eat. Good steaks,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/24/2012Good place to eat. Good steaks, really good burger!! Recommended!!
- Crogan's is a decent placeOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 12/24/2012Crogan's is a decent place for local dining. The food was pretty good but the service was below average.........not bad..........just not great. The waitress didn't know anything about the wine list, she greeted us (including my 86 year old mother) "how are you guys doing?" ..........the service wasn't bad but just not very professional when you are asking $25 for a dish. This is really a Sports Bar type of place trying upscale itself. It's great for a basic dinner but to get a better atmosphere and better service in Montclair try Italian Colors.Special Features:
- Brunch items were not particularlynepsVIPDined on 12/23/2012Brunch items were not particularly good - shrimp omelet and joe's special. Potatoes were cold. Service was just ok this time. I have been to Crogan's many times and this did not measure up to the other times I have been there.
- Dramatically DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/23/2012Two friends and I went for brunch last Sunday and I was dramatically disappointed with the food we were served. I ordered the eggs benedict from their brunch menu. What came from the kitchen was well below standard -- the dish was lukewarm and appeared to have either been prepared much earlier or it had been allowed to sit out for quite some time before all three of our meals were served. The underlying English muffin was extremely dry and void of all taste. A side dish of fruit was clearly syrupy and straight-from-the-can, a real disappointment. It didn't occur to me that I would have had to ask for fresh fruit at a venue like this. The service was adequate, though uninspired. The overall experience was well below expectations.
- I had a cobb salad which wasaaaaaaaaaaaaaDined on 12/11/2012I had a cobb salad which was very tasty and nicely presented. A complimentary dessert of her choice was presented to the birthday girl (complete with lighted candle. A nice experienceSpecial Features:
- Great food, good service.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/8/2012Crogan's is one of our favorite restaurants in the area. The food is always excellent, the service always good. It's kids friendly. My son loves the steamed clams. They make a crab Louie and other dishes with fresh local dungeness. Favorites like steaks, ribs, fish and chips, petrale sole, and other kinds of fish and pasta. They call it a bar and grill, but I think the menu leans toward Italian/American.Special Features:
- The only thing keeping meOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/11/2012The only thing keeping me from checking "very good" for the overall experience was the fact that we had gnats circling our food the entire meal. When I mentioned this annoyance to our server, she just responded "I know".
- Food and service were veryLmmccurdyVIPDined on 10/26/2012Food and service were very good. Can't really speak to noise level-- we ate at around 5:30 because we were heading to a show.
- We have been to Crogan's threeOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/6/2012We have been to Crogan's three times over the past six months and have enjoyed it each time. We had various family members (all adult) with us and everyone enjoyed it as well. The menu is varied enough to please everyone and the prices are reasonable. The food has been pleasing though not always fabulous. I had the cod dish, which was ok but the fish was a little soft and the asparagus was a little hard. My husband had the fish and chips and he said it was better than any other he has had in the East Bay. The Brick Chicken was deemed fabulous. The chocolate brownie dessert was great! We had a reservation for Saturday night but didn't have to, there were tables and the place is pretty big inside, including a small sports bar. We'll be back!Special Features:
- Certain dishes done very welljaz2020VIPDined on 10/5/2012Crogan's is trying hard (unlike some 4-star places in Berkeley we shall not name) and a couple more winners have appeared on the menu. The fish tacos, top sirloin, and black bean chili have been joined by nicely-fried dark meat chicken (breast meat was overcooked, however) and a really spicy, chile-hot gumbo that my spouse loved! If it had only had okra it could have beaten every soul food restaurant in the Bay Area. Great dark-roux flavor, andouille sausage and chicken - wonderful! A real surprise, and we hope it remains on the menu.Special Features:
- Has a sports bar feel, too.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/24/2012Has a sports bar feel, too. Great for sports fans!Special Features:
- Good basic food and valuejaz2020VIPDined on 8/17/2012Crogan's may not be the gourmet fare we get at our favs like FIVE/Berkeley or One Market/SF, but they are solid and reliable, and the things they do well, they do quite well for a bargain price. We like their batter-fried fish tacos, which they are cheerful about subbing lettuce for the usual cabbage and extra of that luscious Choluca cream. Their burger is good, the sirloin steaks an amazing value, and we can now add the short ribs to the list of solid dependables. Tender but not dry, tasty dark gravy, it was simple but just what I wanted that evening. Some days you just want to relax and not fuss, and Crogan's is perfect for those times.Special Features:
- Food quality was low---brownedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/17/2012Food quality was low---browned guacamole, low quality ingredients. Prices are very high! Our server was very nice and helpful.
- We had a wedding rehearsalOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/27/2012We had a wedding rehearsal dinner here and everything was wonderful!!! thanks again.Special Features:
- Crogan's is consistently good.MaryVIPDined on 7/24/2012Crogan's is consistently good. The people are nice and patrons feel welcome. There are families with kids and couples dining alone. The neighborhood ambience is a plus.Special Features:
- The quality of the food wasLarryDined on 7/23/2012The quality of the food was good but not outstanding
- Food was ok, service was notOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/1/2012Food was ok, service was not friendly and very disappoiting. Parking was also a problem.Special Features:
- Comfort Food for Cal Bear AlumniDhsidDined on 6/30/2012There were some gaps in service but overall not too bad. The bus boy was there right away to fill our water glasses when we arrived but we never saw him again after that. One of my pet peeve is an empty water glass. The food was either really good or just blah. The salads were cold, crisp and flavorful. The biggest complaint for the wedge salad were the cold (fried) onion toppings. I ordered the Prime Rib (end cut) which tasted like it was reheated. It was dry and lacked seasoning. Where was the Au Jus. This would have helped with the dryness but instead It came with (old, dried out brown) horseradish. This is still a very good place to meet in Montclair and more often than not delivers good comfort food. We will be backSpecial Features:
- I have eaten at this Crogan'sNesitaVIPDined on 6/20/2012I have eaten at this Crogan's before and liked the food. This time however, perhaps because we had 9:15pm reservations on a Wednesday night (the last reservation time available) and it was the end of the night for the dining area, both of us were disappointed with the quality of the food. I had the steak and salad dinner, medium rare - the steak was tough and the salad was very cold. I forgot what my friend had, but he remarked that he did not like the food either.Special Features:
- I normally go there for theKevinVIPDined on 6/18/2012I normally go there for the bar but the food is solid.Special Features:
- fathers day brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/17/2012This restaurant is always a sure bet. Plenty of parking (free after 6pm), dependable service, good menu. No special fathers day items...Special Features:
- Long time neighborhood favoritemchillsVIPDined on 6/16/2012Long time neighborhood favorite but the menu could use some innovation.
- Usually the service is so-so.LegaleagleVIPDined on 6/8/2012Usually the service is so-so. But it was great this time.Special Features:
- They turned us away on MOTHERSOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/13/2012They turned us away on MOTHERS DAY!!! - couldnt even give us a reason why - just "too many things working against us" - Kitchen problems?? Very weak. Its Crogans, come on - never consistent and it has been hit and miss for 35 years!No big surprise.Look elsewhere, believe me.Special Features:
- Food was good. Great neighborhoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/13/2012Food was good. Great neighborhood atmosphere. service caring and attentive.Special Features:
- The food was good but serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/13/2012The food was good but service was slow due to problems in the kitchen. They apologized profusely and we all ate for free.Special Features:
- Bar food - but GOOD bar foodjaz2020VIPDined on 4/30/2012This is your basic bar food, neighborhood joint. But what they do well, is very well done indeed. And the service is excellent, far better than many expensive bistros (we can attest to this personally). They are always accommodating, and the booths are comfy. The battered fish tacos (get 'em w/lettuce and extra Choluca cream) are wonderful. The top sirloin is tender and perfect, with a big salad. THe owner is always there and keeps a sharp eye on things. We've come here since 2005 and it's always reliable for a burger or fish taco. Sometimes that's exactly, and all, you want.Special Features: