Croce's Restaurant & Jazz Bar
802 5th Ave
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Downtown / Gaslamp
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Croce's Restaurant & Jazz Bar
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.croces.com/
- Phone: 6192334355
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 12:00am; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 10:00am - 2:30pm - Live Music Nightly! Stealing Home Menu 2-courses $30, 3-courses $35 from 5pm-6:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Californian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: James Clark
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Our catering packages are created to make your event planning easy. Start with our standards and include our custom additions for an unforgettable culinary experience. Or share your vision and we will prepare a tailored proposal. Award winning cuisine and service with custom menus. Private and Semi-private locations available. Convenient to SD Convention Center and Downtown hotels. Local bands for private entertainment
- Private Party Facilities: Croce's unique venue, for buy-outs and small groups alike, offers a "one-of-a-kind" opportunity for Fine Dining, a Wine Spectator Award Winning Wine List and Live Music nightly for parties of 12 to 200.
- Private Party Contact: Evelyn Caballero or Tania Nelson 6192322891
- Entertainment: Croce's Restaurant and Jazz Bar is a popular Gaslamp landmark offering American Contemporary Cuisine, a Wine Spectator Award Winning Wine List and Superb Live Music Nightly. It is reminiscent of a New York fine dining establishment with a comfortable and welcoming California feel. From the savory and sweet offerings throughout the menu to the elegant dining room flanked by a cozy jazz bar, Ingrid’s vision of creating a space to celebrate her late husband, singer-songwriter Jim Croce’s memory has been fully realized. Since the restaurant opened in 1985, Ingrid has managed to combine her passion for food and music, while lending her warm and generous spirit. Jim’s music memorabilia, photos, and platinum records line the walls and music is complimentary nightly, with the purchase of any entree. The Restaurant also draws a crowd for their champagne jazz brunch Saturday and Sunday from 10am-2:30pm.
- Special Events: Champagne Jazz Brunch - Saturday and Sunday 10am - 2:30pm Live Music starts at 11:30am Receive 20% off champagne with purchase of breakfast/lunch entree
A word from Croce's Restaurant & Jazz Bar
Croce's Restaurant and Jazz Bar, a popular Gaslamp landmark, and a tribute to singer-songwriter Jim Croce, offers Contemporary American Cuisine, a Wine Spectator Award Winning Wine List and Live Music Nightly.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Croce's Restaurant & Jazz Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
- Great Dining ExperienceBoncuisineDined on 12/31/2013Without a doubt one of the best meals I have ever eaten. Service was outstanding. Great ambiance, music.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We came in from out of townOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/28/2013We came in from out of town and stopped here primarily because of the celebrity ownership. The food was absolutely wonderful (I had the duck breast) and the prices were in line with the area. They are relocating within the city and hopefully to a larger space as accommodations were close but not uncomfortable.Special Features:
- Great music..and even better food!MeatHoundDined on 12/27/2013We selected Croce's primarily to enjoy the jazz, and were expecting OK food. We were fortunate to get a table in the bar close to the band. We were then treated to a wonderful menu, great service, and exceptional food. Very unexpected and very much enjoyed. Highly recommend to anyone, particularly if you enjoy live music.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always WelcomingDiningDuoVIPDined on 12/27/2013Croce's will always be on our itinery when in San Diego. In 15 years we have never been disappointed in either the food or service. The wait staff is attentive and always friendly. Enjoyed sitting in the Jazz bar this visit and couldn't resist mixing and sharing multiple small plates.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a shame to lose at this locationironmikeDined on 12/24/2013We will continue to come to Croce's Restaurant & Jazz Bar no matter where the location is . It is just a shame the gas lamp area could not make it happen . The loss is to the downtown not Croce's Restaurant & Jazz Bar . We have enjoyed every time we have had the opportunity to dine or just have a bottle of wine in the withe the great music filling the room . Jim you are missed but your love of life lives on in your music .Special Features:
- GreatWinnipegkidVIPDined on 12/22/2013This is a true gem. It also keeps the memory of a great American legend alive. But even if it was called "Joe Shmoe's" it would be a great place to visit. The food is of terrific quality. I have had in my few visits the duck, meatloaf, and beef ribs and all are really great. The portions are ample and the service is always friendly. I wish them success in their move a couple miles up 5th. Alas, the exorbitant rent is driving a Gaslamp gem to another neighbourhood. Wherever they are, I will visit. Plus.....get their books!!Special Features:
- Perfect for a Saturday NightMacbryDined on 12/21/2013Great food, good music and outstanding service. We found the perfect spot for our Saturday night dinner and drinks in the Gaslamp Quarter. So sad to see it have to close. I hope the new location can keep up the high standards and reputation of the original.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were pleased with our attentiveFitzDined on 12/21/2013We were pleased with our attentive server, and our table couldn't have been in a better spot. The scallops were done to perfection. However, the sea bass was over cooked. The salads and sides were fantastic. The wine list was limited due to the upcoming move to Bankers' Hill. Too bad Croce's has to move, but I look forward to visiting them at their new location. Best of luck!
- Really great food and wonderfulMarknLindaDined on 12/19/2013Really great food and wonderful service. Our waiter was very friendly, and the jazz was really good.Special Features:
- great food at Croce'sonvacationDined on 12/17/2013We really enjoyed both the food and the atmosphere. We enjoyed listening to Jim Croce songs while we dined and then we really liked the live band. We are on vacation and don't normally go to such pricey restaurants, but this was worth it.Special Features:
- We enjoyed a casual lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 12/14/2013We enjoyed a casual lunch with light live jazz music (piano & sax) that was tremendous to enjoy on an early Saturday afternoon. It set the tone for a relaxing, PERFECT day. We were pleased to find breakfast available after 12:00PM as we were in our slow paced, laid back vacation mode. Our waiter was attentive, patient and courteous. Sad to know it is closing but we look forward to traveling back to San Diego to sample the new location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Croce's - one of the best!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/12/2013We have know about Croce's in the Gaslamp for years but rarely ventured in .... am so glad we did. The food is AMAZING. What suprised me is how small the place is. Now that they are moving to their new location near Balboa Park I hope they have a larger place. The tables were a bit cramped ... it's a bistro ... but the hostess re-sat us at a better table, without us even asking. Still small, but not as cramped. The food was AMAZING -- we will be going to the new place as soon as they open. Gaslamp is loosing a cornerstone, but Croce's will live on!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great eveninghappycamperDined on 12/7/2013Live music, friendly staff, amazing food and crazy energy. So glad we went.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/1/2013I love this place. Some of the best food around. Thanks for having such a wonderful place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great jazz. Moving next month...JSBirdDined on 11/29/2013Too bad Croce's is moving in a month. Great jazz with Gilbert Castellanos trumpeting and his very tight group. Food was very good, ambience was great. Problem with this venue has always been seeing the band that is playing- very narrow room, tables arrayed along long wall, musicians setting up at the end near the front, thus only a few can see the band. I heard that the new place will give better views.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sat. Night @ Croces'BostonDined on 11/23/2013We really enjoyed our evening. Had not been back for about 6 mos. because of our schedule. We always check the music schedule because the entertainment is so good. Helen Reddy was a great surprise! We started with a drink in the bar which we really enjoyed. The bar was excessively noisy before 8, so we figured we would sit in the dining room. We were sorry only because of the neat music that we made that decision. We agreed that next time we would sit in the bar. Dinner was exceptional, service ,cocktails and wine were all super.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This restaurant was good.ChrisDined on 11/22/2013This restaurant was good. I enjoyed going to the restaurant and listen to great music while having good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty Food & Jazz music!WelsheyesDined on 11/21/2013My husband took me here for my BDay dinner and we were not disappointed. Jess was our server and very friendly and knowledgable about the menu. Jazz music was playing inside the bar but we wanted to talk over dinner so we opted to eat in the dinning area but could still hear the music a plus. I ordered the scallops w/risotto-delicious. Hubby ordered pasta carbonara and loved every bite! Get a table off to the side because its a busy place. Great service, food and music! Heard they are moving to a different location so we are glad we got to go before the end of the year. Croce's is great! Thx for making my nite special!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Croce'sJazzLoversVIPDined on 11/19/2013When we sat at a jazz bar table, I was concerned that the music might overwhelm us, but that was not the case that night. The jazz group brought energy to the area. Both of our dinner choices were excellent. I had the meatloaf and my husband had the braised short ribs. I would go back and get the same but would miss out on trying one of the other dishes on the menu. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone that likes great food at reasonable prices!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great experience!FrederickDined on 11/19/2013Croce's never fails to deliver great food, service, atmosphere and MOST IMPORTANTLY... GREAT JAZZ! Still remains the best jazz supper club in town!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- first time reviewerJoannaVIPDined on 11/16/2013We ate at Croce's on a Saturday night, and it was busy and lively. I was in a party of five, and everyone else in my group enjoyed their meals, especially the vegetarian lasagna. However, my steak was disappointing. I ordered it "rare, rare, rare", as rare as possible, asking the waiter if it was possible to cook it really rare. He assured me it was. When the steak came, it was red throughout, but room temperature in the center - certainly not cool. It was overdone for me. A different waiter took it back to the chef who said he couldn't give me another more rarely done. I've never had an experience like this before, where a chef refuses to redo an overdone steak. I wouldn't recommend it because of this.
- memoriesOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/16/2013Listened to Jim Croce's music in the '70s and beyond. While waiting for our food it was great to hear those songs again. We shared our memories with our son and daughter-in-law over a great meal & drinks. We dined in the Jazz Bar and that was a bit noisy. The Jazz band that played during our complimentary birthday dessert was outstanding. We would love to come back and dine in the main restaurant. (heard the restaurant may be moving?)Special Features:
- Croce's is a "must" to enjoy!RichDined on 11/16/2013Ingrid Croce was a most gracious host. We enjoyed meeting her and talking with her. The food was wonderful as was the overall service in the restaurant and Jazz Bar. It is a shame that the landlord is forcing Croce's out at the end of December. But we look forward to going to the new Croce's location in Banker's Hill when it opens.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Action PackedHumboldtHDined on 11/16/2013Outdoor seating was a little tight. People walking by on sidewalk very close (too close) to table at night. Plenty warm, even though it was a cool night (outdoor heaters). Lots of people around and walking by on Saturday night. While not the restaurant's fault, police with attack dog confronting a non-compliant homeless man right next to table created anxiety for all of us. Good cocktails and the signature filet/new york meatloaf was exceptional. We recommend you sit inside.Special Features:
- Croce's cool vibeWD50Dined on 11/15/2013I just kind of googled my way around and found Croce's. After reading several favorable reviews, I thought I'd give it a try. Croce's far exceeded my expectations. Not only was it hip and cool, the food was outstanding as was the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ServicejessDined on 11/15/2013Our server, Stacy (?), was fabulous. She was charming, efficient and just really shined. She made us feel right at home while providing the level of service and attention to detail appropriate for this type of restaurant. The portions were perfect for our before theater dinner, and oh my word was that chocolate molten cake worth every single calorie? Yes. Yes, it was! Yum! Thank you for helping me show 2 East coasters that San Diego is as awesome as I say it is!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great destinationSoCalKevDined on 11/9/2013Wonderful service, great atmosphere menu did not disappoint. A San Diego icon not to be missed before it's gone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GasLamp GemTonyVIPDined on 11/2/2013Great place, terrific service, all around great dining experience... understand they will be moving. Glad we got the opportunity to enjoy while in the heart of the GasLamp District. Jazz band was great finishing touch for the evening...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our experience was not positive.OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/29/2013Our experience was not positive. While the soup and salad arrived in a timely manner, there was a long gap between the initial service and the main, entry, Eventually, the waiter let us know that it would eventually arrive. When it arrived, the breast portion was under-cooked, and the thigh was over-cooked. We ate outside, but had we been inside, the music would have prevented most conversation. And the check arrived very quickly at the end of the mealSpecial Features:
- My thoughtsArizonaDined on 10/28/2013Interesting "historic" place. My only complaint was that the non-live music was too loud and it was difficult to have a conversation at table.Special Features:
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/26/2013The shrimp appetizer was hidden within mounds of greasy batter. What happened to the spicy flavor? The Onion soup was flavored like candy- they do warn you it is sweet (but why or why?) the Potato Lasagna is a good idea badly executed no flavor, dry with little sauce. The meatloaf was fair in honesty, if you must go out for meatloaf...I spent hard earned money on a disappointing meal, but the visit and staff were very nice. The wine and cocktails were nice. At this price ($130) I might forgive, but I'll never forget..Special Features:
- EVERYTHING GREAT BUTMRMR123Dined on 10/26/2013THE TABLES ARE TOOOOOOOO SMALLL GROUPS OF 4 TABLES ARE TOOOOOOOOO SMALLSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gaslamp Jazz RestaurantEatingoutDined on 10/24/2013This restaurant was recommended by the hotel among others. It also got good ratings from Tripadviser so we went not only for the food but the jazz too. Food was excellent, table was great and the band was awesome! Had a great time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just LOVE Croce's! I havebest2dineDined on 10/23/2013Just LOVE Croce's! I have only dined there twice but WOW! both times it was above exceptional. The attention to detail even the smallest things as a guest are amazing. I have recommended Croce's to many people. I don't live in San Diego so I cannot dine there as often as I would like.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Girls night outGirlsniteoutDined on 10/22/2013I had a friend in town visiting from Idaho. Not exactly a culinary hot spot. I found Croce's on Open Table and the reviews were great. What a wonderful time we had! The service was excellent and our dinner was out of this world. We both ordered the Filet Mignon. It was served with a Bordeaux Demi glaze, Gorgonzola, smoked Gouda mashed potatoes, and root vegetables. Forgot to mention the Wedge salad we decided to share. The food was scrumptious, the steak was done to perfection, the amount of food was just right for my hungry appetite that evening. At 7:30 a 3 piece band kicked in with some lovely Jazz making for a great back drop. Wonderful restaurant, will definitely be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place for good food.GailMcBrideDined on 10/22/2013Nice place for good food. Must save room for dessert - chocolate fondaunt.Special Features:
- confirmed but deniedDanPDined on 10/20/2013They are listed as a San Diego late night dining option. Made a 10pm reservation on a Sunday night due to great reviews and their late night dining availability. Sent email to restaurant to confirm....they replied if I made a reservation they would be serving. Arrived at 958pm for dinner.....I was told the tried to call to let me know kitchen was closing.....well, I was on an airplane so no call to me....arrived and left disappointed. Poor customer service!
- Croce's ExperienceDanPantherDined on 10/18/2013I was a huge fan Of Jim, way back in '73' . He would be proud of how his Wife Ingrid, has carried on his legacy. She made me feel like I was one of Her family, or that she had known me for Years. What a great experience to have the privilege to dine at Croce's. I was under the impression, that Croce's was closing in December for good. When I told Ingrid that, she replied; "OH NO !We are moving down the street." She handed me some new business cards, and said; "I expect to see you in the future." I felt that she was sincere, and would expect me back. How can you not Love a place like that ?Special Features:
- Night outMTMMDined on 10/11/2013I wouldn't advise going here on a Friday night. I made a reservation thru Open Table for 9 p.m. for 7 of us after a 6 p.m. show. I later learned the show would end about 8 & I phoned Croce's to change to 8:30 p.m. The man I spoke with said that would not be a problem & would change it. A few days before the show, I phoned Croce's to reconfirm our 8:30 reservation. The young woman I spoke with informed me that our reservation was at 9:00 p.m.!! I explained that I had called and changed to 8:30. She said she would put us at 8:45 (because if we were late they would cancel us) but we could be seated earlier & it wouldn't be a problem. We arrived at about 8:15 and weren't seated until after 9 p.m.! They did give us free desserts! Great food!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Blackjack ZeroBlackjackZero0010Dined on 10/11/2013I really enjoyed my dinning experience with my wife on our 25 wedding anniversary. Especially notable was the service. I haven't had service that good in many years. Food was great. Everything was great except the traffic pattern that the old building has. There was a lot of traffic past my table. I was not far from the main entry. But there is no way to avoid that. The staff did a wonderful job getting by people and moving customers through the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.